runway23

Variations Of Brand's Names In Different Countries

Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:34 am

I find it quite funny that every tim I visit the USA, the french company Danone have decided to spell it as Dannon in the States.

Whereas in Europe or Canada it follows the company's real spelling, Danone.

What other examples do we have of brands which have a different spelling or name in various countries to make up for the lack of intelligence of locals.

TupolevTu154

RE: Variations Of Brand's Names In Different Countries

Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:36 am

Walkers and Lays are the only one's that come to mind at the moment!

Tom Big grin

BigOrange

Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:39 am

Milky Way (US) and Mars bars (UK)

Baby Ruth (US) and Milky Way (UK)

At one time there was

Snickers (US) and Marathon (UK)

runway23

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 1):
Walkers and Lays are the only one's that come to mind at the moment!

This reminds me of Vauxhall and Opel both which produce the same cars and are of course owned by GM.

PlymSpotter

Vauxhalls (UK) and Opels (continent). Also until a few years ago 'Jif' was pronounced differently accross Europe, so they changed the name to 'Cif' instead.

Dan 

EDIT - Runway 23 was 8 seconds quicker than me  grumpy 

[Edited 2007-10-02 18:40:09]
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

aloges

RE: Variations Of Brand's Names In Different Count

Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:41 am

Schick and Wilkinson shavers

all the Unilever "heartbrand" ice cream brands

Axe and Lynx deodorants

Daewoo and "Chevrolet" in Europe

Quoting Runway23 (Reply 3):
This reminds me of Vauxhall and Opel both which produce the same cars and are of course owned by GM.

Then you have them as Chevrolets in Latin America and Holdens in Australia.

[Edited 2007-10-02 18:42:49]
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

BigOrange

Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:47 am

Add Saturn (US) to that!

Toast

Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:55 am

Mitsubishi Pajero. We'll never know what the Japanese were thinking when they created this model, but an SUV with such a name is an unfortunate marketing decision indeed. They renamed it to "Montero" for Spanish-speaking countries, but in the rest of the world, Mitsubishi "Jerk-offs" still roam the roads. It kills me every time I see one. Big grin

Another funny coincidence I can recall is the light bulb manufacturer Osram. In Polish, "osram" means something like "I will shit all over". Oddly enough, they didn't change the brand's name for the Polish market.

The Belgian mobile operator "Base" is often jokingly pronounced "Bezz" by French speakers (French: la baise = fucking).  Smile
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

Wolverine

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:04 am

Before Twix was called Twix in Germany, it was named Raider..
Face your fears, live your dreams! (No Fear)

aloges

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:07 am

Quoting Toast (Reply 7):

"Bosch" is an unfortunate name for a German company operating in France as well.  Wink

Toast

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:21 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 9):
"Bosch" is an unfortunate name for a German company operating in France as well.

It is indeed.  Smile Although it probably goes unnoticed in French-speaking Belgium because "Bosch" is a typical last name and toponym here.

I also recall that the word "blue" be better avoided when marketing anything in Russia, because "blue" ("голубой") is the slang term for "gay". So I think "Virgin Blue" would need to think long and hard before expanding into the Russian market.  Smile

ndebelebev

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:27 am

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 1):
Walkers and Lays

Mmmm Lays... Somehow they always taste a lot nicer than Walkers though.. And they come in really big bags in other countries.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 5):
Axe and Lynx deodorants

I buy Lynx... Strange for a woman I know but I like the fragrances. However, I didn't realise that Axe and Lynx were the same because if you see Axe anywhere here its always a lot cheaper than Lynx so I never buy it because I thought it was just a cheap imitation!!! Maybe I'll give it a try next time...

Bev xx
Her Pose Is That Of Someone... Who Knows It All And Is In Total Control Of Her World... Little Does She Know...

IFEMaster

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:31 am

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 2):
Baby Ruth (US) and Milky Way (UK)

confused  Baby Ruth isn't anything like a Milky Way. However, 3 Musketeers (US) are just like Milky Way (UK)

Some more that I've noticed...

TJ Maxx (US) and TK Maxx (UK)
Campbell's Soup (US) and Batchelor's Soup (UK) - although Cambell's is about to become Batchelor's in the US.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

Braybuddy

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:37 am

Quoting Toast (Reply 7):
Another funny coincidence I can recall is the light bulb manufacturer Osram. In Polish, "osram" means something like "I will shit all over". Oddly enough, they didn't change the brand's name for the Polish market.

Does anyone know if the liqueuer Irish Mist is actually called that in Germany? Surely it's branded under a different name there?

Wasn't the Opel/Vauxhall Nova called something else in Spanish?

CastleIsland

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:39 am

Quoting Runway23 (Thread starter):
What other examples do we have of brands which have a different spelling or name in various countries to make up for the lack of intelligence of locals.

You mean like people who put a period instead of a question mark at the end of a question? Or people who use poor grammar, writing "brands which have" instead of "brands that have?"

Well done, I say. Well done.

I find it quite funny
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

andz

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:42 am

My grandmother used Oil of Ulay in the UK and it is called Oil of Olay here.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

aloges

Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:37 am

Quoting Ndebelebev (Reply 11):
I didn't realise that Axe and Lynx were the same because if you see Axe anywhere here its always a lot cheaper than Lynx

It might be cheaper because no one knows the brand... however the last thing I make a mental note of is deodorant prices.  Silly

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 13):
Does anyone know if the liqueuer Irish Mist is actually called that in Germany? Surely it's branded under a different name there?

I have never seen it on sale here... which might be the reason why there aren't any jokes about it.  Wink

Quoting Andz (Reply 15):
My grandmother used Oil of Ulay in the UK and it is called Oil of Olay here.

In Germany, it's "Oil of Olaz".

N1120A

Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:51 am

Pepsi Max (EU) and Pepsi One (US) (Now Diet Pepsi Max)
Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (US) and Kraft Dinner (Canada)

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 6):

Add Saturn (US) to that!

Only sort of. Saturn was not formed to be a US brand for the Opal platforms, rather it has become that more recently.

Quoting Ndebelebev (Reply 11):
And they come in really big bags in other countries.

That isn't exactly a good thing.

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 12):
although Cambell's is about to become Batchelor's in the US

Incorrect. Campbell's Soup sold the UK and Ireland rights to the product, but not the branding, to Premier. Since the license to use the name expires next year, Premier is going to call their soup "Batchelor's, Formerly Campbell's" in a bit of a "Thomas Cook, Powered by Condor" moment. Campbell's will still be Campbell's in the US.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

LTU932

Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:15 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 16):
In Germany, it's "Oil of Olaz".

I guess that can be explained as a typo, because in Germany we use a QWERTZ keyboard and not the in most countries usual QWERTY (except France, which AFAIK uses AZERTY keyboards).

BTW: Don't forget Langnese.

^^The logo with the heart can be seen pretty much everywhere in the world, but the brand name always changes. In Germany it's Langnese, in other countries it's something completely different. Even the old logo with the red stripes could be seen outside of Germany without the Langnese brand as well.

Finally, if I remember correct, Dr. Oetker from Germany has a different name in Italy. I don't remember which one, but here's the logo, in case someone recognises it from the Italian brand.

kaitak

Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:16 am

The small bottles of Tropicana is sold as Fruice in Ireland; similar bottles, just a different name. Not quite sure why; Tropicana is sold under its own name in the larger Tetra Pak containers.

Also, Walls Ice Cream is sold as HB in Ireland.

[Edited 2007-10-02 21:18:27]

kiwiandrew

Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:26 am

One that I always find funny is "Hungry Jacks" in Australia - everything about it , logo , typeface and of course the actual fast 'food' itself is exactly the same as Burger King ... except the name . Someone did explain to me why it operates under a different brand in Australia but I have long since forgotten

SBBRTech

Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 18):

In Brazil:
Big version: Width: 193 Height: 193 File size: 14kb
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

LTU932

Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:51 am

Quoting SBBRTech (Reply 21):
In Brazil:

Exactly what I was thinking. I guess they all belong to the same parent company, hence why none has copyright problems regarding the heart logo.

andz

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:14 am

From the Unilever website:

"Heartbrand" products are sold in more than 40 countries. The Heartbrand operates under different names in different markets (Walls in the UK and most parts of Asia, Algida in Italy, Langnese in Germany, Kibon in Brazil, and Ola in South Africa and the Netherlands).
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

RayChuang

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:52 am

From what I've read, Vauxhall was bought by GM in 1925 and Opel by GM in 1929. The Vauxhall brand name is only used in the UK, while the Opel brand name is used worldwide.

Sabena332

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:06 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 23):
"Heartbrand" products are sold in more than 40 countries. The Heartbrand operates under different names in different markets (Walls in the UK and most parts of Asia, Algida in Italy, Langnese in Germany, Kibon in Brazil, and Ola in South Africa and the Netherlands).

You can see the complete list of the names on the German Wikipedia website:

* Algida (Serbien, Griechenland, Kosovo, Italien, Tschechien, Polen, Russland, Slowakei, Türkei und Ungarn)
* Bresler (Chile)
* Eskimo (Kroatien, Luxemburg, Österreich, Slowenien)
* Frigo (Spanien)
* Frisko (Dänemark)
* GB Glace (Finnland und Schweden)
* Glidat Strauss kurz: Strauss (Israel)
* Good Humor (USA)
* HB (Irland)
* Helados La Fuente (Kolumbien)
* Holanda (Mexiko)
* Kibon (Brasilien)
* Kwality Wall's (Indien)
* Lusso (Schweiz)
* Miko (Frankreich)
* Ola (Belgien, Niederlande und Südafrika)
* Olá (Portugal)
* Pierrot Lusso, kurz: Lusso; Brand (Schweiz)
* Pingüino (Ecuador)
* Selecta (Philippinen)
* Streets (Australien und Neuseeland)
* Tio Rico (Venezuela)
* Wall's (Großbritannien, China, Indonesien, Pakistan und Thailand)
* Wall's HB (Nordirland)

I find it quite funny that every tim I visit the USA, the french company Danone have decided to spell it as Dannon in the States.

I also saw that the European product "Actimel" is called "DanActive" in the USA.

Another example: "Budweiser" is "Anheuser Bush Beer" in Germany (and probably in some other European countries as well), the real Budweiser brewery from the Czech Republik sued them thus they had to rename their beer in Germany. The Mexican beer "Corona" is called "Coronita" in Spain.

Patrick

[Edited 2007-10-02 23:10:29]
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

N1120A

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:07 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 20):
One that I always find funny is "Hungry Jacks" in Australia - everything about it , logo , typeface and of course the actual fast 'food' itself is exactly the same as Burger King ... except the name . Someone did explain to me why it operates under a different brand in Australia but I have long since forgotten

Because someone already owned a restaurant called Burger King in Australia.

Quoting Andz (Reply 23):

The US Heartbrand is Good Humor.

LTU932

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:14 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 25):
Holanda (Mexiko)

I remember Holanda. They used to be around here in Costa Rica, around the time of the first rebranding to the yellow heart logo. However, they quietly disappeared in these last 10 years.

andrej

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:17 am

Hey all,

how about Esso (Canada, UK,) and Exxon (well now Exxon-Mobil) (USA)?

Cheers
Andrej

garnetpalmetto

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:19 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 25):
Another example: "Budweiser" is "Anheuser Bush Beer" in Germany (and probably in some other European countries as well), the real Budweiser brewery from the Czech Republik sued them thus they had to rename their beer in Germany. The Mexican beer "Corona" is called "Coronita" in Spain.

And similarly the Czech Budweiser has to be marketed as "Czechvar" here in the States. Meanwhile a "Coronita" in the States is a smaller-sized (250 mL as opposed to 940) Corona.

Sometimes one doesn't have to cross national borders to see differences in product names - sometimes here in the States, brands/chains will have regional differences. Hellmann's brand products are "Best Foods" west of the Rocky Mountains. Waffle House was known for years as "Waffle & Steak" in Indiana.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

LTU932

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:24 am

Quoting Andrej (Reply 28):
how about Esso (Canada, UK,) and Exxon (well now Exxon-Mobil) (USA)?

In Germany, we also have the Esso brand. Sometimes in all Esso stations, you'll also find a small Exxon logo as well.

Ncfc99

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:28 am

Quoting Toast (Reply 7):
Mitsubishi Pajero. We'll never know what the Japanese were thinking when they created this model, but an SUV with such a name is an unfortunate marketing decision indeed. They renamed it to "Montero" for Spanish-speaking countries, but in the rest of the world, Mitsubishi "Jerk-offs" still roam the roads. It kills me every time I see one.

The Pajero is called a Shogun in the UK.

mdsh00

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:30 am

Soemtimes there are brand differences in the same country:

Dryers Ice Cream on the West Coast (west of the Mississippi to be exact), is called Edy's on the East Coast.

Sparkletts bottled water in Southern California went by a different name (Alhambra) in Northern California.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

aloges

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:02 am

I guess that can be explained as a typo

I don't know, maybe they changed it to "Olaz" for easier pronounciation. Can you imagine a typical German Waltraud or Irmgard pronouncing "Olay"?  Silly I sure as hell can't.

Oh, I wouldn't!  Wink

Quoting Aloges (Reply 5):
all the Unilever "heartbrand" ice cream brands

Unilever simply bought ice cream makers in various countries and one by one rebranded them with the heart logo and their old names. A bit like the TUI approach, but executed much, much better.

LTU932

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:11 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 33):
I don't know, maybe they changed it to "Olaz" for easier pronounciation.

But doesn't that sound a lot like "Olaf" or "Olav"? I don't know, using the oil from a guy named Olaf doesn't sound very reassuring as to the quality of the product.  Wink

Unilever simply bought ice cream makers in various countries and one by one rebranded them with the heart logo and their old names

There were plenty of brands that Unilever either had control over, or may have had Langnese as a majority stake owner before they were fully integrated into Unilever and all left was the brand. Last time I was in Italy, back in 92, I frequently saw signs and flags for Algia, but using the old Lagnese style logo, and this was a long time before they introduced the Heartbrand.

^^Imagine that, but with the brand name used in the countries listed above. Unilever probably had an ice cream empire back then already, but didn't change the branding to the Heartbrand (first the yellow one, then the red one) until the late 90's.

aloges

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:58 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 34):
using the oil from a guy named Olaf doesn't sound very reassuring as to the quality of the product

rotfl 

There were plenty of brands that Unilever either had control over, or may have had Langnese as a majority stake owner before they were fully integrated into Unilever and all left was the brand.

Oh yes, certainly. I'm sure most of their European brands had the common old style logo before the "heartbrand", even though I remember only "Eskimo" from Austria. The heartbrand replaced both the old international logo and various national logos such as the "K" for "Kibon" in Brazil.

Unilever probably had an ice cream empire back then already, but didn't change the branding to the Heartbrand (first the yellow one, then the red one) until the late 90's.

checkmark 

N1120A

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:11 am

Here is another. Unilever Best Foods markets their mayonnaise in the US west of the Rockies as Best Foods and east of the Rockies as Hellmann's

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 32):

Dryers Ice Cream on the West Coast (west of the Mississippi to be exact), is called Edy's on the East Coast.

Named for Dryer and Edy, the founders of the company. The company officially uses the Dryer's name for business purposes.

Unilever simply bought ice cream makers in various countries and one by one rebranded them with the heart logo and their old names. A bit like the TUI approach, but executed much, much better.

Absolutely. Someone in the US who knows Good Humor doesn't have to have a lame name like HumorCream or however TUI does their ridiculous branding.

LTU932

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:33 am

We definitely need to rename this thread into "The Ultimate Unilever Brands Thread".  Wink

Acheron

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:39 am

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 24):
The Vauxhall brand name is only used in the UK, while the Opel brand name is used worldwide.

Kind of. They use Chevrolet for Lat-Am, and its rare to find an Opel around here as they are usually imports.

Toast

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:43 am

I just remembered a brand that should have been adapted to its market but wasn't: Gerber baby foods. The verb "gerber" means "to puke" in French!  vomit  I'm amazed they sell their products under that name in French-speaking countries!  Smile

Gemuser

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:44 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 26):
Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 20):One that I always find funny is "Hungry Jacks" in Australia - everything about it , logo , typeface and of course the actual fast 'food' itself is exactly the same as Burger King ... except the name . Someone did explain to me why it operates under a different brand in Australia but I have long since forgottenBecause someone already owned a restaurant called Burger King in Australia.

Almost, but not quite! Burger King(BK) sold the Australian franchise to BK to a local company called Hungry Jacks(HJ), which then proceeded to open a chain of BK's called HJ's.
Sometime later BK itself moved in to Oz and opened a chain of BK's called BK's! So for a while we had two BK chains under two different names.
BK's move obviously upset HJs so they took them to court. As such things do the case went on for years, but eventually HJs was victorious and took over, at least some, of the BK branded stores. On what terms I don't know. But to day we only have HJs.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

Gemuser

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:46 am

There were plenty of brands that Unilever either had control over, or may have had Langnese as a majority stake owner before they were fully integrated into Unilever and all left was the brand.

Looking at that logo they are called "Streets" Ice Creams in Australia and are owned by Unilever.

gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

aloges

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:51 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 37):
"The Ultimate Unilever Brands Thread"

or just refer everyone to Wikipedia and the Unilever website where they'll get a damn sight more info than here  Wink

Birdwatching

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:53 am

Diet Coke (USA) is Coca Cola Light here in Germany, and if I remember correctly I saw it as Coca Cola Diet in Arab countries.

Soren  santahat 
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:58 am

Daewoo, now known as Chevrolet here. What crap. There was me expecting to see Corvettes etc being launched, but no, its a Daewoo shitbox with a new name... talk about slaughtering a brand...
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

N1120A

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:03 am

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 40):

Almost, but not quite! Burger King(BK) sold the Australian franchise to BK to a local company called Hungry Jacks(HJ), which then proceeded to open a chain of BK's called HJ's.
Sometime later BK itself moved in to Oz and opened a chain of BK's called BK's! So for a while we had two BK chains under two different names.
BK's move obviously upset HJs so they took them to court. As such things do the case went on for years, but eventually HJs was victorious and took over, at least some, of the BK branded stores. On what terms I don't know. But to day we only have HJs.

Actually, we are both right. Jack Cowin named his company Hungry Jack's because Burger King was already taken by someone else in Australia. When the copyright ended, BK tried to pull a fast one and franchise Burger King branded restaurants in Australia to their New Zealand franchisee. There was a suit over it, and Cowin won.

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 43):
Diet Coke (USA) is Coca Cola Light here in Germany

Actually, they use different formulas, and are hence not the same product.

LTU932

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:53 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 42):
or just refer everyone to Wikipedia and the Unilever website where they'll get a damn sight more info than here

But it's much more fun here. Big grin