PacNWjet
Topic Author

What Do You Call The "Third World"?

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:11 pm

Recently in another forum I was scolded for using the term "Third World" (in quotation marks). Leaving aside the fact that there is no shortage of scholarly journals that have the term "Third World" in their title (e.g., Third World Affairs, Third World Law Journals, Third World Legal Studies, Third World Quarterly, Third World Resurgence) it is a fact that scholars (e.g., economists, political scientists, historians, sociologists, etc.) who study the unequal distribution of economic resources around the world have struggled to come up with terms to categorize regions of the world on the basis of their relative economic resources. Among the terms that have been used among scholars are "First World" & "Third World," "Core" & "Periphery," "Developed World" & "Developing" or "Less Developed World," and "North" & "South." None of these are perfect, and all are potentially misleading, inaccurate, oversimplified, or offensive, as the scolding I received on the other forum would seem to indicate (despite the fact that I did not intend to give any offense).

What terminology do you find the most useful when describing the global unequal distribution of economic resources and why do you find this terminology useful? The unequal distribution of resources is a fact, as lamentable as it is, so what words do you use to describe this fact and why?

[Edited 2007-10-04 09:35:27]

[Edited 2007-10-04 09:36:44]

PlymSpotter

RE: What Do You Call The "Third World"?

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:21 pm

Quoting PacNWjet (Thread starter):

Scotland

duck 
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

SBBRTech

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:26 pm

What terminology do you find the most useful when describing the global unequal distribution of economic resources?

Any of those:

Brasil, Brazil, República Federativa do Brasil....
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

airfoilsguy

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:34 pm

Less developed countries
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

carmenlu15

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Home sweet home  Wow!

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 1):
Scotland

You got it wrong, that is the Fourth World...
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:47 pm

What terminology

-
the term is a result of pre1990 realities, when "the West" was the First World, the Eastern Block was the Second World and most of Africa and much of Asia and Latin America was the Third World. In fact, Yugoslavia was a member of some "Third World Organisation" and Tito, along with President Nasr, Premier Nehru one of the leaders.

bananaboy

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:49 pm

I was always taught that "Developing Country" had replaced the term "Third World."

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

AsstChiefMark

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:58 pm

Countries that can't provide enough resources for its people.

http://www.damnthatsamazing.com/images/train1.jpg

http://dusteye.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/delhi_slum.jpg
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

AirTranTUS

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:09 pm

Quoting BananaBoY (Reply 6):
I was always taught that "Developing Country" had replaced the term "Third World."

What if the country is not taking steps to becoming more developed?

I would say a Third World country is one with low economic development, based on a scale with the rest of the world, not any one nation.
I love ASO!

Type-Rated

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:17 pm

In no particular order....

Most of Central America including Mexico, Nigera (Africa for that matter), some South American Countries, Viet Nam.

Usually places where the people can't make a decent living and has to deal with a corrupt government.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

AsstChiefMark

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:20 pm

I refer to a developing country as a "Second World" country.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

RIHNOSAUR

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:23 pm

hi,

honestly, IMO, you should have not gotten flamed for using third world. In principle I believe it is just a term for reference and is not intended to make fun of or degrade the country it is being applied to. However I am not taking into account the context under which you used it.

On the other hand I do understand why some people take offense with this particular terminology....you have to admit that it does "sound" not very uplifting from the perspective of those living in these nations
I guess i do think personally that third world is beginning to be sort of an "outdated" term, thus, I think a more appropriate term is just (as you pointed out) "developing country".

If you use developing country, you are being "more" clear as to what you mean and to me it is more of a relative term rather than an absolute one, that says "compared to other countries...X is "still" "developing" without the need to explicitly say at what stage it is along its developments...

I'm no expert ....but hope this helps.
particles and waves are the same thing, but who knows what that thing is...

LHRjc

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:26 pm

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 9):
Usually places where the people can't make a decent living and has to deal with a corrupt government.

That's called Britain where I come from.
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

andessmf

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:28 pm

FYI:

The term "Second World" is a phrase that was used to describe the Communist states within the Soviet Union's sphere of influence. Along with "First World" and "Third World", the term has been used to divide the nations of Earth into three broad categories. The term has largely fallen out of use since the end of the Cold War. The other two 'worlds' are still widely talked about, although "First World" is now deprecated for the more politically correct "developed country" and "Third World" has been replaced with "developing country".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_world

RIHNOSAUR

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:29 pm

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 12):
That's called Britain where I come from.

some how I got a slight impression that you were not joking (which I hope I am wrong). If you aren't, then you should travel some more....not to say that there are no difficulties in Britain, but in relative terms... hmmm
particles and waves are the same thing, but who knows what that thing is...

MYT332

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:35 pm

Quoting RIHNOSAUR (Reply 14):
some how I got a slight impression that you were not joking (which I hope I am wrong).

He wasn't joking. You should see the social deprivation where he lives; Yorkshire.
One Life, Live it.

KROC

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:41 pm

Buffalo

LHRjc

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:41 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 15):
lives; Yorkshire.

Don't tell everyone... it's only a temporary solution until I get my passport back so I can escape back to London  biggrin 

Quoting RIHNOSAUR (Reply 14):
not to say that there are no difficulties in Britain

That's an understatement  biggrin 
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

Derico

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:44 pm

Depends the time, place and people's perception of a place.

the original terminology

map based on a survey of people's opinions after visiting particular country

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/378/68792fqy5.gif

Composite map from studies such as IMF Annual Report, UN Human Development Report, and World Bank
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

fr8mech

Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:37 pm

Back when I was in school, during the scandalous, non-PC decades of the 70's & 80's, the First World was also the Old World: Europe. The Second World was the New World: basically the Western Hemisphere. The Third World was Africa. Of course, Asia and Australia don't fit easily into any of the categories.

I still think along those lines when those terms are tossed about.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

cfalk

Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:04 pm

it is a fact that scholars (e.g., economists, political scientists, historians, sociologists, etc.) who study the unequal distribution of economic resources around the world have struggled to come up with terms to categorize regions of the world on the basis of their relative economic resources.

What terminology do you find the most useful when describing the global unequal distribution of economic resources

"Third World has absolutely NOTHING TO DO with "unequal resources". It has nothing to do with resources, period. Sure, you'll have some nutty professors who will try to link the two, but they have an economic agenda.

Look at Singapore - the only resource they have is swampland. But they are decidedly not "third world". Switzerland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Japan, all do not have very much in terms of space or resources, but are very successful.

Look at Nigeria and half the other countries in Africa. They are third world in spite of sitting on mountains of oil, gems and other resources.

What makes a country third world is not what resources they have, but rather their ability to use those resources effictively. This requires the Rule of Law, a low tolerance for corruption, a culture of self-improvement and of enlightened self-interest, as Smith called it.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

LAXspotter

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:28 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 7):

my former home, India lol
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

PacNWjet
Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:33 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 20):
Third World has absolutely NOTHING TO DO with "unequal resources". It has nothing to do with resources, period. Sure, you'll have some nutty professors who will try to link the two, but they have an economic agenda.

What makes a country third world is not what resources they have, but rather their ability to use those resources effictively. This requires the Rule of Law, a low tolerance for corruption, a culture of self-improvement and of enlightened self-interest, as Smith called it.

These points are relevant to the discussion of terminology. When people use any of the problematic terms available to describe the concept in question (First World-Third World; Core-Periphery; Developed-Developing-Less Developed World; North-South), part of the problem is that the gap between rich and poor does not overlap with the division of the world into territorial states (countries) since one can have within the same country and even within a few miles of each other pockets of wealth and poverty.

However, as Cfalk points out, when explanations for economic gaps are brought to bear, they confront the unpleasant and un-politically correct point at which terms that might be more descriptive such as "countries with corrupt governments" or "cultures that have not embraced market economies" start to sound just as much like a blunt instrument as "First World" or "Third World."

Hence the impetus for posting this thread (which has been quite illuminating - thanks to everyone for posting!). I am a professor, although hopefully not of the nutty variety Cfalk mentions, and charting this territory in academia, let alone in the other airliners.net forum in which I was flamed, tyipcally leads one into a minefield. I would just a soon not tread this ground, but often it cannot be avoided when the subject matter calls for it.

PacNWjet
Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:35 pm

Third World has absolutely NOTHING TO DO with "unequal resources". It has nothing to do with resources, period. Sure, you'll have some nutty professors who will try to link the two, but they have an economic agenda.

These points are relevant to the discussion of terminology. When people use any of the problematic terms available to describe the concept in question (First World-Third World; Core-Periphery; Developed-Developing-Less Developed World; North-South), part of the problem is that the gap between rich and poor does not overlap with the division of the world into territorial states (countries) since one can have within the same country and even within a few miles of each other pockets of wealth and poverty.

However, as Cfalk points out, when explanations for economic gaps are brought to bear, they confront the unpleasant and un-politically correct point at which terms that might be more descriptive such as "countries with corrupt governments" or "cultures that have not embraced market economies" start to sound just as much like a blunt instrument as "First World" or "Third World."

Hence the impetus for posting this thread (which has been quite illuminating - thanks to everyone for posting!). I am a professor, although hopefully not of the nutty variety Cfalk mentions, and charting this territory in academia, let alone in the other airliners.net forum in which I was flamed, tyipcally leads one into a minefield. I would just a soon not tread this ground, but often it cannot be avoided when the subject matter calls for it.

PacNWjet
Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:37 pm

WestJetYQQ

Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:39 pm

Earth.
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

britjap

Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:46 pm

I thought that first world meant those countries which were decidedly capitalist democracies. The second world was made up of those countries that espoused communism, and the third world was the remainder. Those countries essentially too poor to be able to make such a choice through lack of infrastructure etc. leaving them easily open to all kinds of trouble whether it be the inability to counter the effects of disease/famines and other natural disasters, or being powerless to stop other nations/para-militaries/terrorists/criminals etc with their own agendas screwing around with the internal affairs of said country.

The unequal distribution of resources is a fact

Surely there is no problem with the distribution of resources. It is the massive disparity in the consumption of those resources by the nations of the world that is lamentable.

redngold

Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:37 am

It's hard to tell now because the world has become so fractured - not just by secession and civil war, but also by socioeconomic disparities within self-governing entities.

One might reasonably assert that parts of New Mexico and Mississippi, the two poorest states in the U.S., are "third world" if you look at the least affluent and most isolated enclaves. Yet there are places in Colombia, even in Iraqi Kurdistan, that are doing well economically and which have a lower mortality rate for their citizenry than the nation at large.
Up, up and away!

PacNWjet
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:05 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 27):
One might reasonably assert that parts of New Mexico and Mississippi, the two poorest states in the U.S., are "third world" if you look at the least affluent and most isolated enclaves. Yet there are places in Colombia, even in Iraqi Kurdistan, that are doing well economically and which have a lower mortality rate for their citizenry than the nation at large.

Excellent point, and part of what I was getting at in posting this thread. Part of human cognition is to create categories and put labels on things. This is not inherently a "good" thing or a "bad" thing; it is just part of the human brain's need to see and identify patterns. Yet labeling comes with problems because most labels simplify matters and obscure complexity. If people had the time and ability they would describe the global distribution of economic resources (and its roots in social, political, and economic relations) with detailed terms and with all the words necessary to capture the various nuances of how and why the state of affairs has come into being. But this would be tedious and does not reflect the fact that language and communication lend themselves to mimic the way the brain works, namely, to label certain categories. Hence, terms such as those under consideration here (First World-Third World; Core-Periphery; Developed-Developing-Less Developed World; North-South, etc.).

By the way, sorry for my previous message posted three times (apparently the forum was experiencing some glitches and I ended up re-submitting the post twice when it didn't seem to be sent the first time). A thousand pardons.

mbj-11

Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:55 am

Any country that places third in the world race.  Big grin .

or .......any country whose resources have been bled by past colonial or imperial masters who then turn around and offer to loan them money to repurchase those same resources with ridiculous interest rates. Hmmm.....sounds somewhat familiar?  mischievous 
Jesus is the Christ and he alone saves

ME AVN FAN

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:14 am

you were taught wrongly. Many "Third World" countries cannot or no longer be regarded as "developing country".
-

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 8):
I would say a Third World country is one with low economic development, based on a scale with the rest of the world, not any one nation.

No, a Third World country can be flourishing and increasingly prosperous. The UAE including Dubai is a Third World country .
-

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 9):
to deal with a corrupt government.

countries like Italy are NOT Third World !  rotfl 
-

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 10):
"Second World" country.

-
the Second World now consists of North Korea, Belarus and Cuba
-
-
the Third World originally was the "Block-Free Countries" and had nothing to do with the status of the economy. After their withdrawal from the Warsaw Treaty, Tshu En-Lai joined that Block-Free Movement and there joined forces with Marshal Tito.

AM744

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:43 pm

I think we can safely assume that the Second World (Socialist states) no longer exist. If you are not in the First World, you are in the Third World which could be delimited fairly well by the first 30 countries in the UN Human Development Index:

Norway
Iceland
Australia
Ireland
Sweden
Canada
Japan
United States
Switzerland
Netherlands
Finland
Luxembourg
Belgium
Austria
Denmark
France
Italy
United Kingdom
Spain
New Zealand
Germany
Hong Kong, China (SAR)
Israel
Greece
Singapore
Korea, Rep. of
Slovenia
Portugal
Cyprus
Czech Republic

That would be it.

Now, the only three countries with more than 100 million inhabitants AND a High Human Development Index are:

1.- Japan (7)
2.- US (8)
3.- Mexico (53)

Medium HDI begins at rank 64

TheRedBaron

Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:31 am

You can live in the third world even in Sweden if you want, then again you can live in the first world even in Haiti, it depends on a lot of things, labeling is a dangerous thing....

But yeah!!! earth is a dumpster anyways... so who cares  Smile
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

LAXspotter

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:05 am

Quoting Theredbaron (Reply 32):
You can live in the third world even in Sweden if you want, then again you can live in the first world even in Haiti, it depends on a lot of things, labeling is a dangerous thing....

very true, quite true. Just go to the "Slums of DC" or "East LA/Downtown" and that place is shitty compared to many places Ive been to in "3rd world countries".

andessmf

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:26 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 33):
Just go to the "Slums of DC" or "East LA/Downtown" and that place is shitty compared to many places Ive been to in "3rd world countries

You DARE to compare East LA with a 3rd world country?! The sheer arrogance of that statement, not to say ignorance about what you are saying is incredible to me.

I know plenty of people who would much rather live in East LA of the slums of DC rather than their 3rd world.

Let me tell you what third world is, before you embarrass yourself further. There is this little coastal town in Ecuador, in the province of Guayas, called Palmar. It is about 30 miles north of Salinas. My family has kept a beach house there for 50 years.

I was born in 1971, and these are the things that came to the town AFTER I was born.

1. Electricity
2. Telephones
3. Paved Road
4. Gas station
5. Outboard motors (imagine having to row out to open sea)

I have a friend there, same age as I, who married at 14 and has 8 kids.

Most of the town people have never SEEN an airplane, let alone ride on one.

Cable TV is non-existent.

Neither is A/C, microwaves, multiple TVs, VCRs, etc.

They still cook with charcoal. Plenty of houses don't have more than a dirt floor. Hell, I could not imagine how 8 people could live in a 2 bedroom house, and that house was a vast improvement over what they had.

Indoor plumbing? Only for the rich.

I gave one friend a T-shirt of mine in 2002. I fully expect him to have it and use when I return in 2008. We gave another person a little bottle of perfume as a gift, and she treasured it.

That is 3rd world.

Next time, try harder.

LAXspotter

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:42 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 34):
That is 3rd world.

Next time, try harder.

I know what the third world is, but I wrote it wrong, I have lived in the third world, but I did not live a life of a "3rd world person" what I am trying to say is that some people in the so called third world have a better life than many people in developed countries, I may have mistakenly said that East LA or DC is third world, but I certainly think that many middle-class people in for example India have a better quality life than less fortunate working class people in many parts of the developed world.

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 34):
know plenty of people who would much rather live in East LA of the slums of DC rather than their 3rd world.

most people who live in the "shady" areas of the US, are there because of economic hardship, if they had a choice and if they had work skills, they would obviously move out, but not that you said this, but middle class people who have an education from developing countries dont settle in the Ghetto, atleast that is what I observed unless you care to differ?

andessmf

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:02 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 35):
but I certainly think that many middle-class people in for example India have a better quality life than less fortunate working class people in many parts of the developed world.

Yes, indeed they do.

At the same town, the fishermen don't work every day, and all have plenty of leisure time.

Their food is always fresh, and tastes great.

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 35):
but middle class people who have an education from developing countries dont settle in the Ghetto, atleast that is what I observed unless you care to differ?

No, I would not differ, because as you well known, it is very similar to the situation in a 3rd world country. The rich (educated) and the poor don't usually mix at all. We were lucky to witness both worlds.

LAXspotter

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:25 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 36):
No, I would not differ, because as you well known, it is very similar to the situation in a 3rd world country. The rich (educated) and the poor don't usually mix at all. We were lucky to witness both worlds.

yeah, that was my whole statement there. I dont mean to say that I would rather live in a 3rd world housing in a 3rd world country that in the Ghetto's of the US. I would much prefer to live in East LA then say in the favelas of Rio or the Slums of Bombay. All those amenities you mentioned are truly what differentiate the 3rd world from the developed world. Although the standard of living may not be high in many inner city neighborhoods, the bare necessities of life are rather easy to get to, I wouldnt say the same of many of the underdeveloped countries. Atleast we can agree on something.

TACAA320

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:35 am

"

The term Third World was originally coined in times of the Cold War to distinguish those nations that are neither aligned with the West (NATO) nor with the East, the Communist bloc. Today the term is often used to describe the developing countries of Africa, Asia, Latin America and Oceania.
Many poorer nations adopted the term to describe themselves.

Below Third World Countries by various categories:
Third World Countries in terms of political rights and civil liberties.
Third World Countries in terms of their Gross National Income (GNI)
Third World Countries in Terms of their Human Development
Third World Countries in Terms of Poverty
Third World Countries in Terms of Press Freedom

Third World Countries in terms of political rights and civil liberties.
The most repressive regimes in the world.
List of countries with the worst records for political rights and civil liberties. Within these countries and territories, state control over daily life is pervasive and wide-ranging, independent organizations and political opposition are banned or suppressed, and fear of retribution for independent thought and action is part of daily life.
According to the Freedom House report Freedom in the World 2007, there are eight countries judged to have the worst records:

Burma (Myanmar), Cuba, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Sudan, Turkmenistan, and
Uzbekistan.
Also included are two territories, Chechnya (Russia) and Tibet, whose
inhabitants suffer intense repression. These states and regions received the
Freedom House survey�s lowest rating: 7 for political rights and 7 for civil
liberties.

The report also includes nine further countries near the bottom of Freedom
House's list of the most repressive:
Belarus, China, Cote d�Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Laos, Saudi Arabia, Syria, and Zimbabwe. The territory of Western Sahara (most of the territory is controlled by Morocco) is also included in this group.
While these states scored slightly better than the �worst of the worst,� they offer very limited scope for private discussion while severely suppressing opposition political activity, impeding independent organizing, and censoring or punishing criticism of the state.

(Source: Freedom House Freedom in the World 2007) "

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/third_world.htm
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

ME AVN FAN

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:58 pm

Quoting AM744 (Reply 31):
Cyprus

Cyprus was (is) part of the Third World and the long-time President Arch-Bishop Makarios III was one of the leaders of the Third World

Quoting AM744 (Reply 31):
Slovenia

Slovenia was one of the states of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia and President Marshal Josip Broz Tito was one of the leaders of the Third World

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 38):
Cuba

Cuba was allied with the Soviet Union and so was part of the (2nd) Communist World

Libya

Libya was part of the Third World but rather rich and well off

Turkmenistan, and
Uzbekistan.

both were Soviet Republics within the Soviet Union and as parts of the USSR part of the 2nd World

Saudi Arabia, Syria, and Zimbabwe

whenever Syria is not democratic, the Syrians enjoy lots of freedom and prosperity etc if compared with rich but oppressive Saudi Arabia or with Zimbabwe

comorin

Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:16 am

I live in the Third World.

My neighbors worship dog feces as it's all over the sidewalk. My shoes stick to the chewing gum on a warm day as spitting gum (and spittle) is considered acceptable. The subway to work is so crowded in the morning that I just give up and walk. The steps down the subway station are all cracked and I have to be careful not to slip on it. Perhaps the World Bank will help us out some day.

At lunch the choices are dismal, unless you work at a place with a cafeteria. 'Street Meat' has become the antidote to tasteless wraps and paninis available to the common man. We are proud that we do not have epidemics of Hepatitis A or other diseases, even as these foods are brought in by van every morning from across the river.

When it's time to head home, I just take a cab. It's smelly, the driver is permanently on his mobile phone, and drives his cab like a bicycle - he's never heard of lanes. I stop by the supermarket, and pick up freshly ground meat, wrapped around browning older meat. I am tempted by the bags of fresh-cut salad, but we do have to watch out for c.difficile and e.coli here in the Third World. hopefully we will become rich enough some day to buy clean food and fresh produce.

I come home elated at not having stepped on anything dubious on the way back. Unlike other Third World places, I do not have a cook, housemaid, driver or even a car. My fellow citizens live here only to get ahead, and don't care how dirty it gets here. It's an old city, they say, and I say look at London, it's even older, and a lot cleaner.

But it's still an exciting city, the Center of The World, some say - even if it's in the Third World.

sw733

Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:59 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 4):
Home sweet home

yes 

I use the term Third World...too often it is found offensive by people who have never been and have no interaction to it...people who just have a bug up their ass and say "that's offensive! they are just oppressed, or ignored by the West". Please...that may be part of it, but a lot of it is corruption and stupidity that takes places across many (most? all?) 3rd world countries, especially Africa.

I have heard my country called 3rd world, and called 2nd world...that map provided above calls it 3rd world, but I don't know...I grew up in a nice house with a pool, is a nice neighborhood, and new Mercedes, BMWs, or Land Rovers in the driveway...sounds 3rd world? I never thought so...no America, or Britain, or Australia...but 3rd world might be pushing it.

However, I visit 3rd world countries a LOT, as I have always truly enjoyed travelling the continent of Africa. I have seen some truly god awful places, but the people are almost always so much more kind, gentle, and compassionate than on Wall Street in New York, or Michigan Avenue in Chicago, or The Strand in London...funny.

redngold

Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:12 pm

Quoting WestJetYQQ (Reply 25):
Earth.

I get it!
Up, up and away!

alfa75

Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:02 am

South of the Mason-Dixon Line!  duck   dopey   snaggletooth 
The best things in life aren't things!

AirTranTUS

Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:45 am

Sometimes South Tucson reminds me of the third world.

[Edited 2007-10-08 18:49:23]
I love ASO!

andessmf

Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 32):
The new Airliners.net.

The insult you have just give 3rd world countries...you know, there are places where you could be shot for saying such terrible, terrible things!!  grumpy 

silly 

AirTranTUS

Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:57 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 45):
Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 32):
The new Airliners.net.

The insult you have just give 3rd world countries...you know, there are places where you could be shot for saying such terrible, terrible things!!

Or banned for 90 days.

I edited that post about 4 minutes after I made it into its current form, but the time stamp says you posted more than 3 hours after that. Can you still see the old version, or did you know about my first version from..."elsewhere."
I love ASO!

andessmf

Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:04 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 46):

Not exactly sure, but next time, don't insult the 3rd world like that, m'Kay?

silly 

AirTranTUS

Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:09 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 47):

Sure thing.  bigthumbsup 
I love ASO!

exFATboy

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:34 am

I remember seeing the term "Fourth World" to differentiate between less-developed countries that were on the path to economic development ("Third World") and those that didn't, usually due to government policies.

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 15):
You should see the social deprivation where he lives; Yorkshire.

"I'm sorry, children, but I have to sell you all for scientific experiments..."