IFEMaster
Topic Author

Classical Music: Yay Or Nay

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:49 pm

It's a simply question...do you dig classical music? And if yes, what's your favourite piece?

I never used to be in to it. Perhaps it's a sign of no longer being a grunge head, but over the last few years, I've developed an appreciation for the classic. I think my favourite is Elgar's 'Enigma Variation', particularly Variation IX Nimrod and Variation XIII Romanza.

One thing is for sure: Pachelbel's 'Canon' gets right on my nerves. It's singularly the most overplayed piece ever. Especially at weddings.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

CastleIsland

RE: Classical Music: Yay Or Nay

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:34 pm

Hell yeah. I can't narrow it down to one favorite piece, but I'll list a few favorites and composers:

Elgar - Cello Concerto
Bartok - String Quartets, The Wooden Prince, and Bluebeard's Ghost
Mendelsshon - Hebrides Overture
Janacek - The Kreutzer Sonata
Schoenberg - Verklarte Nacht
Vivaldi - L'Estro Armonico
Tchaikovski - 4th Symphony
Beethoven - 9th Symphony (cliche, I know, but there's a reason why), and Grosse Fuge
Barber - Adagio for Strings
Wagner - Preludes and Overtures, particularly Lohengrin: Prelude to Act III
Mahler - 1st Symphony (Titan)
Szymanowski - 1st and 2nd Symphonies
Lutoslawski - Concerto for Orchestra
Penderecki - Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima
Webern - Symphony, String Quartet, Pieces for Orchestra

And so forth...
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

CastleIsland

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:34 pm

Hell yeah. I can't narrow it down to one favorite piece, but I'll list a few favorites and composers:

Elgar - Cello Concerto
Bartok - String Quartets, The Wooden Prince, and Bluebeard's Ghost
Mendelsshon - Hebrides Overture
Janacek - The Kreutzer Sonata
Schoenberg - Verklarte Nacht
Vivaldi - L'Estro Armonico
Beethoven - 9th Symphony (cliche, I know, but there's a reason why), and Grosse Fuge
Barber - Adagio for Strings
Wagner - Preludes and Overtures, particularly Lohengrin: Prelude to Act III
Mahler - 1st Symphony (Titan)
Szymanowski - 1st and 2nd Symphonies
Lutoslawski - Concerto for Orchestra
Penderecki - Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima
Webern - Symphony, String Quartet, Pieces for Orchestra

And so forth...
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

Klaus

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:40 pm

Yay!

Some most excellent pieces by Georg Friedrich Händel:
- The Messiah
- Water Music
- Music for Fireworks

PlymSpotter

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:49 pm

It certainly does, I've sort of gone full circle with my music; started off listening to classical from a very early age, moved into pop, then heavy metal and now I listen to symphonic metal which is usually comprised many classical pieces.

I find it much easier to relax and completely chill out with classical though, it's very relaxing after a stressful day. My favourite piece would be Carnival of the Animals by Camille Saint-Saëns, reminds me of my carefree childhood days!

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

SA7700

Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:01 pm

I have a lot of favorites. However, I have been listening almost constantly, for the past few months, to Pergolesi’s Stabat Mater with Barbara Bonney and Andreas Scholl – they are magnificent!

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

vikkyvik

Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:55 pm

I've enjoyed classical music since I was young. Probably partly to do with starting piano lessons at a young age.

My knowledge of classical music isn't too broad, but I've always enjoyed the following:

Beethoven - "Emperor" Piano Concerto
Dvorjak - New World Symphony
Grieg - Peer Gynt Suites
Holst - The Planets
Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, and other various pieces
Britten - War Requiem
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

SmithAir747

Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:49 am

As a lifelong pianist, classical music has always been a part of my life. I am also a self-taught violinist.

Some of my favorite pieces to play on the piano:

Beethoven: Sonata Pathetique, Op. 13, C minor. My favorite movement is II, Adagio. I have played the Adagio for many years, but in the past 3 years, I've challenged myself to play the entire sonata (all 3 movements).

Gabriel Faure: Requiem, Op. 48, "In Paradisum"

Charles Gounod, after JS Bach: Ave Maria. I have re-written this for my violin. So I play it on both piano and violin.

JS Bach: Air for G string; again I re-wrote this for violin, and I also play it on piano.

Pachelbel: Canon in D (piano only version)

Arrangement of "Holy Holy Holy" after JS Bach's Invention No. 14

Antonio Vivaldi: Gloria in Excelsis

Turlough O'Carolan (1670-1738): Si Bheg Si Mhor

Albert Hay Malotte: piano arrangement of "The Lord's Prayer"

I also play other stuff by Beethoven, Clementi, whatever else is in my growing piano sheet music library.

I even re-write things for violin.

A way to describe my piano repertoire: "From Beethoven to the Soviet National Anthem"  Wink

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

Toast

Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:53 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 3):
Yay!

- The Messiah
- Water Music
- Music for Fireworks

bigthumbsup  Thanks for saving me the typing!

Besides Händel, I can handle any amount of Vivaldi. Other than these two, I'm admittedly pretty much in the dark as far as classical music is concerned. I have nothing approaching a thorough or even general knowledge of it, but I like certain pieces by Beethoven (Mondscheinsonate), Carl Orff (Carmina Burana rules!), Mozart, Bach, and all those disgustingly talented Austrian and Russian 19th century composers.  Smile

On the other hand, I can't stand opera or anything resembling it. I cannot abide by Chopin, either (I always find him cacophonic and boring).

I'm basically a sucker for Baroque music and chorals as long as they don't feature any opera-like singing, although I'm rarely in the mood for listening to classical music.
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

LAXspotter

Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:54 am

I LOVE classical music, I'm rather close-minded when it comes to Music and I only enjoy classical works. My favorite works are the 40th symphony my Mozart and the 5th by Beethoven, even tho theyre so widely heard, theyre still my favorites. I also enjoy many of the works of Vivaldi, including his Violin Concertos.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

N231YE

Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:10 am

I am a HUGE fan of Aaron Copland's pieces...beautiful American music. In fact, for his works like Appalachian Spring and Billy the Kid, I can almost picture New England.

UAL747

Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:53 am

Oh man, I love classical music. I've been classically trained in Piano since I was 5 years old, so that's 22 years.

Rachmaninov is my favorite composer. His music is of the Romantic Period, my favorite. It's full of emotional melodies and harmonies that send shivers down my spine.

Here's a video of me playing the Rachmaninov 2nd Piano Concerto in C-min, well, the first part anyway. I recorded it on a digital photo camera so the sound quality is bad, and it's just a short portion because the camera could not hold the entire thing. It is also recorded with the orchestra playing through my speakers in the background, so you get the full affect.

Enjoy!

'

And here is the REAL DEAL with Arcadi Volodos at Piano with Orchestra! Just AMAZING!

UAL

[Edited 2007-10-04 19:02:49]
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

WestJetYQQ

Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:56 am

YAY!!!!!!

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 6):
Holst - The Planets

I own that one. I'm a big Holst fan.
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

adopim88

Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:02 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 1):

Agreed here.

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 1):
Beethoven - 9th Symphony (cliche, I know, but there's a reason why)

I also agree with you here too. I don't care how cliche it is.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 3):
- The Messiah
- Water Music

Definitly good ones.

Quoting Toast (Reply 8):
I can handle any amount of Vivaldi

I enjoy listening to Vivaldi from time to time.

I like Mozart's Magic Flute too. Maybe it's because we played it in band, I don't know, but I still like it.

Various pieces from the play Peer Gynt ("Morning Mood" is well-known) composed by Edvard Grieg have been a favorite of mine.. Technically it's opera music, but it's been done by various orchestras and bands so I count it anyways  Smile
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Confuscius

Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:13 am

Yay

Mostly piano works by Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart, Liszt, Granados, Rachmaninoff, Schumann, et al.
Ain't I a stinker?

skywatch

Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:20 am

Dvorjak - New World Symphony

checkmark  Pretty much the best symphony ever composed. I am a Dvorak addict!

Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, and other various pieces

checkmark  My favorite single work in the entirety of classical music!

Quoting Toast (Reply 8):
, I can handle any amount of Vivaldi.

Peoples of the world, mark this moment in history: Toast and I agree upon something!  Wink Dude, Vivaldi was the greatest composer that ever lived. He's just so recognizable. I can hear a piece and say "That's Vivaldi!" He was pretty much the earliest composer that is still popular today. His landmark pioneering in the realm of Baroque music is just amazing. I love his A minor concertos for violin, and my favorite season from the Four Seasons is definitely L'Invierno.

In addition, I enjoy Mozart, Bach, Borodin (especially his Nocturne for string quartet), Foote, Bocherinni, Schubert, Schumman, and Corelli. I'm currently in the process of learning to enjoy Beethoven.

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

MakeMinesLAX

Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:44 am

On the more mainstream side, I enjoy practically everything by Bach and Chopin. Among the more modern works, these are my favorites:

Vaughan Williams - 6th symphony (especially the last movement)
Bartok - Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celeste (especially the first movement), Concerto for Orchestra
Ruggles - Sun-treader (you owe it to yourself to hear it at least once)
Ravel - Le Tombeau de Couperin, Piano Concerto in G

Speaking of our pal Maurice, I've taking quite a liking to him recently. I always thought of him as second-rate (mainly based on Bolero) to Debussy, but have changed my tune due to the works above and others.

baroque

Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:14 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 3):

That well-known Englishman! Hi Klaus. Always preferred the Christmas Oratorio myself but the Messiah does have its moments.

Was listening to the Bellini Oboe concerto as I typed that - Diana Doherty and she looks as gorgeous as her oboe sounds, real competition for Heinz H.

Klaus

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:02 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 17):
That well-known Englishman!

Hmyeah... as the name Georg Friedrich Händel clearly states...!  mischievous 

b752fanatic

Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:44 pm

Mozart! Mozart! Mozart! specially piano concerto 20, 21, 22 Love them!
"Truth is more of a stranger than fiction." Mark Twain

CastleIsland

Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:17 pm

Quoting Skywatch (Reply 15):
Vivaldi was the greatest composer that ever lived

As Stravinsky once said: "The same concerto, 400 times."
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Vivaldi, but let's face it, he hardly pushed the limits of innovation, which probably ought to be considered in any definition of greatness.

He was pretty much the earliest composer that is still popular today

Well, both Johann Pachebel (1653-1706) and Arcangelo Corelli (1653-1713) pre-date him by 25 years.

Bach, Borodin...Bocherinni, Schubert, Schumman, and Corelli

All excellent stuff!

yooyoo

Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:19 pm

I enjoy listening to classical and i am a beginner at best when it comes to this kind of music and all of you have listed your favorite pieces but, who do you like performing the music? From my understanding certain conductors have different interpretations on how certain pieces are to be played or am i way off base here?. Just curious.  smile 
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

CastleIsland

Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:31 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 21):
I enjoy listening to classical and i am a beginner at best

Organ music at a Maple Leafs game is NOT classical music.  Wink

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 21):
From my understanding certain conductors have different interpretations on how certain pieces are to be played or am i way off base here?

Not off-base at all. Despite tempo markings and other instruction to both conductor and musician, most, if not all, classical pieces can run the gamut in terms of tempo, sensitivity, expression, etc. For example, in the early and middle of the 20th century, Wilhelm Furtwangler was widely regarded as the ultimate interpreter of Beethoven. He took portions of the 9th symphony and turned them into furious, instrument-sawing maelstroms that suited his interpretation of Beethoven's "place" when he was writing them.

Other composers have taken a more romantic approach to these very same passages/movements. So, if you find something you like, it may well be worth getting more than one copy from different composers. I know I have at least four versions of Beethoven's 9th, and, believe it or not, the Wein Philharmonic's version from ~1970 is far better than that of the Berliner Philharmoniker's from the same period, IMO.

yooyoo

Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:36 pm

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 22):
Organ music at a Maple Leafs game is NOT classical music.

After an 0-2 start for this season, you've managed to plunge the dagger even deeper.  Wink

My wife's stepfather had a vast selection of classical pieces, often duplicated with different composers. He had his favorites and discussed at length why one is better than the other or this is the way Mozart had intended it to sound. He loved his music, that's for sure. He tried to talk shop with me but it was over my head. lol
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

skywatch

Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:34 pm

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 20):
Well, both Johann Pachebel (1653-1706) and Arcangelo Corelli (1653-1713) pre-date him by 25 years.

Caught me! I'm so biased, I didn't bother to research! Big grin

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 20):
As Stravinsky once said: "The same concerto, 400 times."
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Vivaldi, but let's face it, he hardly pushed the limits of innovation, which probably ought to be considered in any definition of greatness.

I'll be the first to say that most of his music sounds the same, but, if it's good, it's good! As far as innovation goes, he was still high in the ranks, considering he was composing in a period that was just pulling away from chants and single-line melodies. The reason he doesn't sound innovative today is because of the big names that came after him. Anyways, I may just be blinded by my bias, 'cause Vivaldi is my favorite.  Wink The one thing that can't be contended is the fact that it is GREAT music!

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

LHMark

Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:52 pm

I LOVE classical! A few of my favorites:

Kill Da Wabbit
The Rabbit of Seville
The Marriage of Bugs and Elmer
Leopold
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

LAXspotter

Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:55 pm

I forgot to add, if you guys check out Amazon, I highly recommend the CD's "The most relaxing classical music album in the world".
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

express1

Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:56 pm

i listern to a radio station every day called Classic FM online and on my radio, reasently i got a classical cd, Myleene klass, (Myleene's music for romance) 27 tracks,i like them all , but my favourate track out of the lot is Palladio (Diamond music) the theme to the diamond advirt on tv) plus i have a 3 cd box of Classic FM (relax & escape), Classic FM most wanted.

I keep my eye out on classic FM website for their lastest cd realease. the person who started me of on classical music was my brother 2 years ago and since then i never looked back, its much better than the crap music you hear every day.

dave
David.S cavanagh since 1961,if you can do better,then show me.