mbj-11

Can The Queen And Monarchy Be Dissolved?

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:30 pm

To all the British members of A.net, can the entire monarchy be done away with? Is there anything on the books that allows for that? Not that I am advocating that they or the queen should go. But I am curious on how powerful the post of the monarchy is in England. E.g. If the majority of the immediate family has been found to be party to any illegal activity punishable by jail time, would the monarchy be at an end?
Or are they technically "above the law?"
Jesus is the Christ and he alone saves

connies4ever

RE: Can The Queen And Monarchy Be Dissolved?

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:47 pm

I am not 100% clear on this, but I think the monarch has the right to pay off the navy -- not that she would do it. She can dissolve Parliament as well, I believe, without consulting the PM, or, in the case of no majority, can invite essentially anyone to attempt to form a government. Honours, decorations, etc., are also I believe within the monarchs' purview.

As to criminal charges, I really don't know what the British constitutional law would say, as their constitution is basically a set of traditions flowing from Magna Carta. In Canada we have a written constitution (now) but I do not believe it makes any reference to the monarch being subject to common or criminal law. My guess is that the monarch is in fact above the law.

But I'm sure I'll be corrected, gently, if I am incorrect.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Blackprojects

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:17 pm

A Qoute from the Royal Familys website.

Civil and criminal proceedings cannot be taken against the Sovereign as a person under UK law, The Queen is careful to ensure that all her activities in her personal capacity are carried out in strict accordance with the law.

The website in Question.

http://194.203.40.17/output/Page4696.asp

ltbewr

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:46 pm

Quoting BlackProjects (Reply 2):
Civil and criminal proceedings cannot be taken against the Sovereign as a person under UK law, The Queen is careful to ensure that all her activities in her personal capacity are carried out in strict accordance with the law.

To me, this only applies to the Queen herself (or King if the monarch at the time). All other members of the Royal Family, including Prince Charles, his children can be charged and convicted of a crime, for example if they were driving too fast to committed a sexual assault or robbed someone. It seems to me the Parliament could try the Sovereign for criminal behaviors if committed certain criminal acts such as the abuses of power of Henry VIII. More likely, they could cause the abdication of the throne by a Sovereign in such matters and replaced.

Klaus

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:57 pm

And then there's always revolution as a fallback option... it should keep any monarch on their toes...!  mischievous 

Pope

Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:14 am

In related news, President George W. Bush has set an Oct 31, 2007 deadline for HRH to step down. After that date, he will order the the US military to use "all available means to bring true democracy to the people of the United Kingdom who have lived under this tyrant or members of her family all of their lives."

He continued, "we're pretty sure that this time they have nuclear weapons."

Tomorrow he's going to the UN to form a coalition of the willing spearhead by Canada and Australia to support the US's efforts. France immediately volunteered to set up a naval blockage but the effort was short lived when the French fleet quickly surrendered to a UK flagged ferry crossing the English channel.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

mbj-11

Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:31 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 5):
In related news, President George W. Bush has set an Oct 31, 2007 deadline for HRH to step down. After that date, he will order the the US military to use "all available means to bring true democracy to the people of the United Kingdom who have lived under this tyrant or members of her family all of their lives."

He continued, "we're pretty sure that this time they have nuclear weapons."

Tomorrow he's going to the UN to form a coalition of the willing spearhead by Canada and Australia to support the US's efforts. France immediately volunteered to set up a naval blockage but the effort was short lived when the French fleet quickly surrendered to a UK flagged ferry crossing the English channel.

Smile

So the monarchy is basically untouchable?
Jesus is the Christ and he alone saves

LTU932

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:58 am

Quoting Mbj-11 (Thread starter):
Can The Queen And Monarchy Be Dissolved?

Absolutely! The sooner, the better.

Signed,
QANTASforever

mariner

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:35 am

Quoting Mbj-11 (Reply 6):
So the monarchy is basically untouchable?

Not "untouchable" at all.

The monarchy exists by Act of Parliament, and, like any Act, it could be changed.

It was changed once, when Parliament, led by Oliver Cromwell, did away with the monarchy and executed the king - Charles I.

This led to the English Civil War and the English Republic - called "the unhappy times". When Oliver Cromwell died, Parliament restored the monarchy, with Charles II as king.

Charles' son was a Catholic, so there was a lot of fuss and bother, but he came to the throne, briefly, before being deposed by Parliament.

His son was also a Catholic so Parliament invited his daughter, Mary, to be monarch, ruling jointly with her husband, William, Prince of Orange.

A British - or an English - Republic may happen again, but I hope not. I'm a constitutional monarchist, I prefer a non-elected head of state

mariner
aeternum nauta

Banco

Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:54 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 8):
Charles' son was a Catholic, so there was a lot of fuss and bother, but he came to the throne, briefly, before being deposed by Parliament.

James II was his brother, not his son. Charles had no legitimate children. Pity about James really. He was an outstanding naval officer, perhaps one of the greatest Admirals of the era - fairly unusual for a royal. Yet that's forgotten now.

Quoting Mariner (Reply 8):
His son was also a Catholic so Parliament invited his daughter, Mary, to be monarch, ruling jointly with her husband, William, Prince of Orange.

That's something of a polite British myth, actually (part of the "we've not been invaded since 1066" stuff). William's arrival was an invasion, pure and simple - the "invitation" from Parliament happening when he was already in London with rather large numbers of troops! Had James not fled in the way that he did, the armed forces may well have resisted what was a conquest. Mary being William's wife was something of a figleaf for the whole affair.

Back to the point of the thread, there is no specific mechanism in place for abolishing the monarchy, because in the British system there doesn't need to be. A government elected on the mandate to abolish it would get it through Parliament and the only potential stumbling block would be that the Queen would have to sign the Act abolishing her own position. If that was the will of the people through their government and Parliament, it's inconceivable that she'd refuse. And if she did then the resulting consitutional crisis would do the same job.

There's no appetite for this to happen though. People seem fairly content with their monarchy.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

mariner

Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:20 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 9):
James II was his brother, not his son.

You are right. Brain fart.

Quoting Banco (Reply 9):
William's arrival was an invasion, pure and simple

Yes. But perhaps all the Protestant/Catholic matters and the Glorious Revolution clouds the central question asked here.

mariner
aeternum nauta

JGPH1A

Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:35 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 5):
France immediately volunteered to set up a naval blockage but the effort was short lived when the French fleet quickly surrendered to a UK flagged ferry crossing the English channel.

Those that actually made it out to sea without propellors falling off, sinking, running aground, being blockaded by fishing boats etc.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

TSV

Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:04 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 7):
Absolutely! The sooner, the better.

Signed,
QANTASforever

Talk about slow - I expected that would have been Reply 1.
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

MadameConcorde

Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:23 pm

I would dissolve Camilla rather than the Monarchy.  Big grin
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

LTU932

Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:37 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 13):
I would dissolve Camilla rather than the Monarchy.

And include Charles to that. I'm all for William taking the throne and becoming William V, young blood is needed to revitalise modern day monarchies.

BTW: is it true that Charles, if he ever takes the throne, would not take the name Charles III but rather become known as George VII?

MadameConcorde

Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:49 pm

Long Live the Queen. Maybe to 102? or 114?

I have no idea what or who will be after her.  Confused

GDB

Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Charles will follow her, but the Queen WILL perform her duties so long as she is able to.
Many will find it odd, but she takes the oaths of her coronation as seriously as can be imagined, she is absolutely committed to this, seeing it as her reason for being.

If the Queen is as genetically fortunate as her mother, she could still well be reigning for another 10 or even 15 years from now.
The possibility does exist then that Charles [i] could [i/] perhaps, if he's not so fortunate health wise, or of course by an accident of some kind , not succeed his mother as monarch.
If that happens, it's William as king.

Interesting to note that our one Republican leader, Cromwell, despite his overthrowing a terrible monarch, became in power an oppressor as bad as what he had replaced, powered by him being an extreme religious fanatic, not by today's standards either, but even by contemporary standards.
Centuries ago maybe, but it's not been entirely forgotten.
Perhaps that extra English, later British, distrust of revolutionary figures, right into the 20th Century, comes from this.

As has been stated, an elected government could dissolve the Monarchy and there is not a thing the monarch could do about it.
On the flip-side, there is the situation-unimagineable as it seems now, of a government that exceeded it's mandate, for example by not with good reason, holding a general election after the maximum 5 years from the previous one.

It did happen in 1940, but of course facing national defeat, even as feared at the time, of invasion, was a pretty good reason. But Churchill formed a 'National Government', much of the War Cabinet had senior figures from other parties-mostly the official Labour opposition, in high positions, Labour leader Clement Attlee-who would beat him in the 1945 election, was his wartime deputy.
But after Nazi Germany surrendered, as soon as was practical in the bankrupt armed camp with millions serving abroad that Britain was, an election was held, not waiting for Japan to surrender, since in 1940 it had been a European war of national survival that has postponed an election. Even then, a massive effort had to be made to ship literally millions of ballot papers from UK service personnel from everywhere abroad.
During this 'National Government' however, by-elections-when for whatever reason, a parliamentary seat became vacant, were held, local elections too, often the government got a bloody nose in these.

What would happen if there was no good reason for not holding an election after the maximum allowed time, or the government were being grossly criminal in other ways, well I'll let the more informed constitutional experts here speculate on that!

MadameConcorde

Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:42 pm

I wish she would live as long as her mother or even longer and still be in good health. To 102 or 114.
Maybe she can over-age Jeanne Calmant. Never know...

Quoting GDB (Reply 16):
If the Queen is as genetically fortunate as her mother, she could still well be reigning for another 10 or even 15 years from now.

ctbarnes

Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:24 pm

Because Britain has no written constitution, technically dissolving the Monarchy would simply require act of Parliament. The Royal Family have also said repeatedly if there was a groundswell of republican sentiment in the country they would acquiesce to the popular will and step aside.

The actual process of transitioning Britain to a republic would, however, be easier said than done. For example, the Royal Family are the largest landowners in the country, which leads to questions about how those lands are to be disposed. There would also have to be thought given to what would replace the Monarchy, and how it would govern. Would Britain become a kind of Euro-republic similar to Germany or Italy where the presidential office is largely ceremonial? Or would a president have a stronger role ala France or the United States?

The reality though, is I don't see Britain becoming a republic any time soon. The vast majority of Brits can't be bothered to change the status quo, and the current Queen remains popular. And if her mother is anything to go by, she could end up outliving her eldest son.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

avek00

Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:52 pm

It's not as easy as you may think. Some points to consider:

1. The Queen is not merely a monarch, she is the sovereign of the UK and numerous Commonwealth realms. With sovereignty comes legal principles like sovereign immunity; changing the sovereign would require some extensive modifications to other laws.

2. Britain (and again, many of the Commonwealth realms) would be left without a defined chief executive. While the Queen's role is generally ceremonial in this regard -- especially in the UK, her representatives in the Commonwealth --- Governors General -- have at times had to exercise their executive authority to resolve domestic political crises. And even in the present time, it is not completely unimaginable for the Monarch to at least temporarily exercise direct executive authority in the UK, especially in the event of a extreme crisis.

Simply making the Prime Minister the chief executive is highly undesirable, as it would vest control of the legislature and control of the executive branch in a single person -- arguably a highly undemocratic move.
Live life to the fullest.

Banco

Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:01 pm

Quoting Avek00 (Reply 19):
2. Britain (and again, many of the Commonwealth realms) would be left without a defined chief executive

No, that wouldn't actually affect the other Commonwealth nations with the Queen as Head of State. That's contained in their laws, not ours.

It is true that there would be numerous practical obstacles to overcome, but the partially written nature of the British constitution means that it would simply be a case of writing new rules and regulations. The assumption is that nothing would have been put in place, whereas in reality, you could be fairly sure extensive plans for an alternative would have been put forward first, and voted upon.

But again, there is NO desire for such a change. Although there are certainly republicans in Britain, the vast, vast majority are content with the current system.

JGPH1A

Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:15 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 20):
the vast, vast majority are content with the current system.

Speaking as a vast, vast majority, I am not content. Any system that denies me the possibility of supreme regency over the planet is unacceptible.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

RobertNL070

Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:22 pm

The gnashing of teeth in Sydney is almost audible  biggrin 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

Banco

Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:31 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 21):
Speaking as a vast, vast majority, I am not content. Any system that denies me the possibility of supreme regency over the planet is unacceptible.

Simply "vast" would have summarised you well enough. You must be content with remaining a minor queen, alas.

JGPH1A

Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:32 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 23):
You must be content with remaining a minor queen, alas.

Off with his head !!

Banco

Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:37 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 24):
Off with his head !!

No, that was this morning when I had the hangover from hell.  Wink

mariner

Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:18 pm

Quoting Avek00 (Reply 19):
her representatives in the Commonwealth --- Governors General -- have at times had to exercise their executive authority to resolve domestic political crises.

I presume you mean Australia, when Governor-General Kerr sacked the (twice) popularly elected (Labor) government?

I believe he should hot have had the power to do so and that the action was profoundly wrong. That he - arguably - did have the power was a problem with the way the Australian laws affecting governance were written.

To this profound monarchist, it is not acceptable that the GG should have such power - power the monarch does not have in England. It defeats the whole purpose of constitutional monarchy.

The irony is that his action may have profoundly damaged the popular attitude to the crown in Australia

mariner
aeternum nauta

Joni

Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:58 pm

Both the monarchy and the monarch could of course be dissolved, although dissolving an old lady (in acid, for example) is a distasteful idea.

Personally I'm against the UK dissolving their monarchy, I think also the French should re-instate theirs. Alternatively, we could have an emperor of the EU who could be crowned by the pope.

mainMAN

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:07 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 3):
All other members of the Royal Family, including Prince Charles, his children can be charged and convicted of a crime, for example if they were driving too fast

Princess Anne has two convictions. The first in 2001 for driving at 93mph - fined £400. The second in 2002 when she was charged under The Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 her dog attacked two boys in Windsor Great Park - fined £500.

RobertNL070

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:13 pm

Quoting Joni (Reply 27):
Alternatively, we could have an emperor of the EU who could be crowned by the pope.

It's been done already. Charles the Great, a.k.a Charlemagne, was crowned by Pope Leo III in the beginning of the 9th century(?). Granted, it wasn't the whole EU, but it was quite a hefty chunk of it.

Robert

Banco

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:18 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 29):
It's been done already. Charles the Great, a.k.a Charlemagne, was crowned by Pope Leo III in the beginning of the 9th century(?). Granted, it wasn't the whole EU, but it was quite a hefty chunk of it

I believe the English were rather the Euro-sceptics at the time...  Wink

Joni

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:21 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 29):

It's been done already. Charles the Great, a.k.a Charlemagne, was crowned by Pope Leo III in the beginning of the 9th century(?). Granted, it wasn't the whole EU, but it was quite a hefty chunk of it.

I know, that's where I got the idea from. It could be a nice touch now again, the EU would have a "face" that would help nationals of the member states to get a feeling of belonging to the EU and it would offer continuity.It would also offer a monarch to all the member states currently lacking one.

RobertNL070

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:23 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 30):
I believe the English were rather the Euro-sceptics at the time...

And have never stopped being so since ...  Wink

Robert

JGPH1A

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:43 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 30):
I believe the English were rather the Euro-sceptics at the time...

The English at the time also still thought the Earth was flat and used dung as currency. Very little has changed  Smile

RobertNL070

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:51 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 33):
The English at the time also still thought the Earth was flat

Don't forget that Paul Kruger was of that mind as recently as 1898  Smile

Banco

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:51 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 33):
The English at the time also still thought the Earth was flat and used dung as currency. Very little has changed

Au contraire, mon Afrikaner ami. The English at the time had the finest written culture in Europe. That is, until the bloody French turned up and burnt almost all of it, the philistines.  grumpy 

Klaus

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:55 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 35):
That is, until the bloody French turned up and burnt almost all of it, the philistines.

Sounds an awful lot like that "the dog ate my homework" excuse to me...!  mischievous 

Banco

Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:00 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 36):
Sounds an awful lot like that "the dog ate my homework" excuse to me...!

Outrageous! Calling your French friends dogs. Apologise, right now!  Wink

JGPH1A

Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:04 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 34):
Don't forget that Paul Kruger was of that mind as recently as 1898

Yersss well our Boer brethren took a while to catch up, didn't they  Smile

Quoting Banco (Reply 35):
The English at the time had the finest written culture in Europe.

Ahem, I think you'll find that was probably the Irish and the Scots, led principally by the Celtic church. The English (such as they were) were busy fighting off Saxons and other unpleasant teutonic influences at the time - it was them that did quite a lot of the burning. The Normans merely mopped up the remnants of what the Danes had left behind.

Banco

Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:09 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 38):
Ahem, I think you'll find that was probably the Irish and the Scots, led principally by the Celtic church. The English (such as they were) were busy fighting off Saxons and other unpleasant teutonic influences at the time - it was them that did quite a lot of the burning. The Normans merely mopped up the remnants of what the Danes had left behind.

Silly boy. The Saxons were the English, a couple of centuries down the line from arrival. And funnily enough, it's all true about the written culture of England. About all that's left of it is the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle and writings of Bede, but it's why we know more about the English language of the time that about the histories of French, German or Spanish.

So, you're wrong, wrong, wrong.  tongue   snooty 

Get back to your braai ignorant colonial.

RobertNL070

Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:12 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 38):
Yersss well our Boer brethren took a while to catch up

"Our"? "My" you mean. I am quitessentially British  snooty   Wink

JGPH1A

Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:21 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 39):
So, you're wrong, wrong, wrong.

No I'm not. The Venomous Bede (early 8th century) was way before Charlemagne (late 8th Century)- and he wrote in Latin. And Anglo Saxon Chronics (late 9th Century) was after Charlemagne. Timeline, me boy.

Banco

Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:24 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 41):
and he wrote in Latin.

Bede wrote in both Latin and English.

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 41):
And Anglo Saxon Chronics (late 9th Century) was after Charlemagne

Barely. Hair splitting. You merely being a boor Boer.  snooty 

JGPH1A

Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:34 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 42):

I am not able to find any mention of Bede's work in English, apart from a single 5-line poem.

RobertNL070

Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:36 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 43):
I am not able to find any mention of Bede's work in English, apart from a single 5-line poem.

Therefore ...

Quoting Banco (Reply 42):

biggrin 

JGPH1A

Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:37 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 44):
Therefore ...

I'd accuse Banco of splitting hairs, but as he has so little, that would be cruel.

Klaus

Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:53 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 37):
Outrageous! Calling your French friends dogs. Apologise, right now!

What gave you that idea? Maybe your own classification of your esteemed literature as barely on the level of a school home assignment...?  eyebrow 

Banco

Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:56 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 46):
What gave you that idea? Maybe your own classification of your esteemed literature as barely on the level of a school home assignment...?

Oh dear. I should have known better than to try to introduce Klaus to the world of humour.

Klaus

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:04 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 47):
Oh dear. I should have known better than to try to introduce Klaus to the world of humour.

You're so seriously full of yourself as the imaginary world reference for humour that it's actually getting funny! Big grin

Blackprojects

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:04 pm

One thing most people forget about the Queen is she is still the queen after being crowned in 1953 how many other world leaders apart from Dictators can claim as long a run in Office.

Unlike Dictators the Queen is there for life so once she took her Oath of office its a life time Job only one way out of it and thats possibly a long time away.

As for Cromwell being a Bad guy in religouse ways he was but he Declined the Crown when it was offerd to him which not many people realise.

Still Charles the second got his owne back on Cromwell by having him Exhumed from his grave and Publicaly be-headed at the same place of his Predecessors execution.

If the UK Parliment ever decides it whants to abolish the Monarchy it would most likely have a fight on its hands from the UK Population and not the Royals.

If the UK Parliment did Abolish the Monarchy in the UK it could carry on as several Common-Wealth nations could possibly offer the Royals a safe haven say Canada or even Australia or New Zealand.

Waits for incoming from South of the Equator.