Bofredrik
Topic Author

UK Actors In USA -speaks American...

Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:15 pm

Some of them anyway...

A recent example is Hugh Laurie who play Dr House in "House".

http://www.fox.com/house/

1. Why must he and other UK actors in USA speak american english?

2. Can you hear that his actually is not a native american when he play
in "House"?

Just want to know.

aloges

RE: UK Actors In USA -speaks American...

Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:23 pm

Quoting Bofredrik (Thread starter):

So that Billy Bob from Alabama can understand him?  duck 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

AsstChiefMark

Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:27 pm

It was Hugh Laurie's choice. When he auditioned for the role of Greg House, he chose to use an American accent.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

IFEMaster

Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:33 pm

Because that's what the producers want.

It's no different to Leonardo DiCaprio and his South African accent in Blood Diamond, or Gwyneth Paltrow's English accent in Sliding Doors or Naveen Andrews' Middle-Eastern accent on LOST.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

cfalk

Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:33 pm

As Mark said, Laurie did it. He was in Africa at the time, and taped his audition thinking that the script required an American accent. In fact, he did not even know it was to be the leading role! The producer picked him not even knowing that Laurie was British.

in "House"?

I've been watching him since his first appearance in Blackadder II (Prince Otto, wasn't it?), but I was stunned how well he pulls off the accent. You could tell in the first season that it was just a little bit forced, but now he seems completely at ease with it.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

JetBlueGuy2006

Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:15 pm

He wasn't forced to drop the British Accent for the part, he did it on his own, and the producers like it. It still amazes me how well he does masking it for the role though.
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

deltagator

Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:27 pm

I realize he is English but I swear he sounds Scottish when I hear him speak out of character to reporters and such.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 1):
So that Billy Bob from Alabama can understand him?

Ah yes, always easy to make fun of Alabama isn't it? Your rocket scientists seemed to like it just fine after WWII. Does it bother you that your country is responsible for the popularity of David Hasselhoff?  Wink
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Springbok747

Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:30 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 5):
Gee, maybe because it's an AMERICAN audience, and those who produce it think it might go over better?

Its not only Americans who watch the show. Its very popular here in Oz too. Interesting though..they let Jesse Spencer (Dr Chase) speak with his native (Australian) accent, but House pulls of that American accent very well.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 6):
No Such Member Bofredrik
There is no such username registered in the Airliners.net discussion forum.

I'm getting the same error.
אני תומך בישראל

Maverick623

Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:47 am

in "House"?

Nope, he pulls it off perfectly.

Go America!!!

.... Sorry, couldn't resist fanning the flames Big grin
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Bofredrik
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:32 am

Quoting T773ER (Reply 8):

OK.
Thanks for the answers.
I am not anti USA.
I am anti US politics.
But i love many things about USA.
I have been there 7 times.

Banco

Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:11 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 3):
It's no different to Leonardo DiCaprio and his South African accent in Blood Diamond, or Gwyneth Paltrow's English accent in Sliding Doors or Naveen Andrews' Middle-Eastern accent on LOST.

Quite so. In fact, the most surprising example of someone pulling off a perfect English accent was perhaps Marlon Brando.

Actors take jobs where they can. There are lots of jobs in the US. The only time you ever wonder why producers do it is when the actor in question is palpably unable to maintain an accent and it veers all over the place.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

deltagator

Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:28 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 11):
Its not only Americans who watch the show. Its very popular here in Oz too.

That's where I got introduced to the show. It was a welcome break from the nonstop soccer, rugby, and cricket action on 9 out of the 12 channels I had on my hotel TV. For whatever reason back home the show was on at a bad time for me and I hadn't watched it. When I got home I searched it out on Fox for new ones and USA for syndication. Good stuff.

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 15):
I am not anti USA.
I am anti US politics.

Hands down one of the funniest things and biggest lies I have read on A.net.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

IFEMaster

Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:29 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 16):
Actors take jobs where they can.

And very often, it works to their benefit. Take Michelle Ryan, for example. She started life as a second rate actress on a second rate soap - she played Zoe Slater on EastEnders.

Now, she is an excellent actress playing a smoldering, sexy Jamie Sommers in 'Bionic Woman'. And she plays her with an American accent. I'm certain it will be a launch pad for greater things for her.

searpqx

Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:06 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 16):
The only time you ever wonder why producers do it is when the actor in question is palpably unable to maintain an accent and it veers all over the place.

You mean like Taggart's (Matt Frewer) Australian accent on Eureka? One of my favorite shows on SciFi, but I swear I have to mute every time he comes on.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Banco

Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:18 pm

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 19):
You mean like Taggart's (Matt Frewer) Australian accent on Eureka? One of my favorite shows on SciFi, but I swear I have to mute every time he comes on.

No, not really. It's pretty much understandable to employ a local actor to play someone foreign - everyone does that and most times the domestic market don't really notice, or don't have the experience to tell how good that accent is. What puzzles me is why an American TV or film company will employ a Briton to play an American when they can't do the accent very well. Michael Caine springs to mind here. If I wince when I hear it, God knows what it's like for an American viewer. Especially when EVERYONE knows what his real voice is like.

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:36 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 20):

Or things like Kevin Costner in Robin Hood, sounds pretty out of place. Didn't he even try to do a British accent? Robin of Locksley sounds more like Robin of New Jersey, but then half the cast sound like they came from Somerset rather than Nottinghamshire.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

Banco

Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:47 pm

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 21):
Or things like Kevin Costner in Robin Hood, sounds pretty out of place. Didn't he even try to do a British accent? Robin of Locksley sounds more like Robin of New Jersey, but then half the cast sound like they came from Somerset rather than Nottinghamshire.

Yes, well that film got off to a pretty piss-poor start when they show him arriving at Dover and saying he would be in Nottingham that night. What was he going to do, fly there or something?

searpqx

Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:27 pm

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 21):

From one of my favorite Robin Hood movies. . .
Prince John: And why should the people listen to you?
Robin Hood: Because, unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

andz

Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:40 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 4):
Blackadder II (Prince Otto, wasn't it?),

Lord Percy LOL
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

SBBRTech

Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:46 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 17):
Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 15):
I am not anti USA.
I am anti US politics.

Hands down one of the funniest things and biggest lies I have read on A.net.

And you let him in 7 times !!!  Big grin
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

cfalk

Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:27 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 24):
Blackadder II (Prince Otto, wasn't it?),

Lord Percy LOL

Nope, Percy was played by Tim McInnerny.

The episode was "Chains", from Blackadder II. It was the first appearance of Laurie, and he became a regular in the series for the next two seasons.

Sorry, Laurie played Prince Ludwig, not Otto.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/blackadder/episodes/two/two_chains.shtml

[Edited 2007-10-09 14:36:05]

rfields5421

Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:36 pm

2. Can you hear that his actually is not a native american when he play in "House"?

If you, or anyone, came every come up with a native american english accent - I'd love to hear it.

The English spoken in the US is quite varied and regionalized.

Laurie does try to hit the US midwestern accent which is the most common one used by actors and other performers. And does it very well.

Actually, he does it better than many of the other actors/ actresses on the show and other shows who were raised in the US. You can often hear their regional accents.

(BTW the term Native American is now used to describe the people and many different languages once called American Indian)

ctbarnes

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:42 am

Add Emma Thompson to the list as well. She played Hillary in the film Primary Colors. Did a good job too, though I did notice her accent slipped occasionally.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

Banco

Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:06 am

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 28):
Add Emma Thompson to the list as well. She played Hillary in the film Primary Colors. Did a good job too, though I did notice her accent slipped occasionally.

Not just her in that film. Adrian Lester is British as well.

Springbok747

Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:31 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 18):
Now, she is an excellent actress playing a smoldering, sexy Jamie Sommers in 'Bionic Woman'. And she plays her with an American accent. I'm certain it will be a launch pad for greater things for her.

Damn..I am liking this 'Bionic Woman'. Nice to see many BSG characters in it (especially Katie Sackhoff as the 'bad girl'). The second episode is on tonight Big grin
אני תומך בישראל

Stokes

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:39 pm

How about Damian Lewis in Band of Brothers? Great job. In Dreamcatcher, he switches American to British accent depending on whether he is the good guy or the bad alien. BTW, when did a British accent become a "bad guy" trait in Hollywood? Alan Rickman in Die Hard?

bristolflyer

Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:46 am

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 9):
He wasn't forced to drop the British Accent for the part, he did it on his own, and the producers like it. It still amazes me how well he does masking it for the role though.

If he drops his British accent what accent would he have after that?  confused  I mean, he is British after all.
Fortune favours the brave

Braybuddy

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:49 am

I honestly don't know why Hollywood bothers to employ non-American actors to play Americans. Apparently Steven Spielberg gave Colin Farrell an Irish background in case his American accent didn't hold-up in Minority Report.

And did anyone see Clive Owen's performance in Inside Man? His English accent kept surfacing throughout the film.

And you have the reverse of that, such as Tom Cruise's dreadful Oirish accent in Far and Away.

If they can't get the accent right they shouldn't get the part.

Banco

Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:20 pm

Quoting Stokes (Reply 26):
How about Damian Lewis in Band of Brothers?

Not just him. Dexter Fletcher in that one too.

BTW, when did a British accent become a "bad guy" trait in Hollywood? Alan Rickman in Die Hard?

Nah, long before that. It'll be for several reasons, I would think. One is that the foreign accent automatically marks him out to the US audience as not being a good ole American hero; then there's the British actors likely stage background, which makes the larger-than-life-hamming-it-up role easy for them; then there's the commonly held view amongst the Brits that the bad guy is simply much more fun to play than a boring goodie.

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 28):
And did anyone see Clive Owen's performance in Inside Man? His English accent kept surfacing throughout the film.

Yes it did. Wasn't good, was it? And in a case like that, why not just let him talk normally? It's not like it matters, Sean Connery has played Scots who've just happened to take US citizenship for years.

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 28):
And you have the reverse of that, such as Tom Cruise's dreadful Oirish accent in Far and Away.

Ah, but you see that way round it doesn't matter. It's likely only the Irish and to an extent the British who pick up on it being an appalling accent, and in terms of the film's profitability, they don't count. Besides, just because you cringe throughout, both at accent and portrayal of Ireland won't affect the romantic American view, will it? And nor should it - one of the most entertaining things you can see is watching the Irish sagely nod their heads while sucking dollars out of the American tourist pocket.  Wink

cfalk

Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:37 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 29):
BTW, when did a British accent become a "bad guy" trait in Hollywood? Alan Rickman in Die Hard?

Nah, long before that. It'll be for several reasons, I would think. One is that the foreign accent automatically marks him out to the US audience as not being a good ole American hero;

It's an interesting question, and I think it stems from much farther back in Hollywood. In early films, they made it very easy to tell the good guys from the bad, starting in silent movies. Good guys wore white hats, bad guys wore black. Differences in makeup and demeanor were also apparent.

Look at Star Wars from 1977. All the Empire baddies spoke with British accents, the Rebels were all American accents. And George Lucas plainly used devices straight out of the old adventure films.

I think the British accent (particularly Queen's English, not just any cockney accent) imparts a certain gravitas to the character. It implies education, thus knowledge, thus a dangerous person to cross. It demands respect for a worthy adversery. Would the audience grant equal respect for a villain that spoke like a West Virginia hillbilly?

Banco

Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:48 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 30):
And George Lucas plainly used devices straight out of the old adventure films.

He nicked the entire battle sequence at the end from The Dambusters - including most of the dialogue.

CupraIbiza

Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:33 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 4):
but I was stunned how well he pulls off the accent

As an Aussie I was amazed to hear the kid who plays Harry Potter deliver a flawless Aussie accent in some movie he just released. Dont know the name it was just a short clip I saw, but it was an A+ performance.
Everyday is a gift…… but why does it have to be a pair of socks?

A340Spotter

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:34 pm

Thinking of a couple other recent performances where the accents completely disappear:

Anthony LaPaglia (AUS) playing the lead in Without a Trace. Never realized he was from Australia until recently.

Heath Ledger (AUS) in his Brokeback Mountain role.

JSD
"Irregardless, it's a Cat III airplane, we don't need an alternate!"

IFEMaster

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:39 pm

Russell Crowe in Cinderella Man did a good New England accent.

Another facet to this debate is regional accents. For example, Mark Wahlberg in The Departed with his fantastic Bostonian accent, or Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon in Walk The Line, with their southern accents. All really good.

Banco

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:45 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 34):
Another facet to this debate is regional accents.

Add to that just about the entire (American) cast of This is Spinal Tap, who pulled off south London accents almost perfectly.

Braybuddy

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:58 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 29):
Yes it did. Wasn't good, was it? And in a case like that, why not just let him talk normally? It's not like it matters, Sean Connery has played Scots who've just happened to take US citizenship for years.

I agree. It's terribly distracting listening to an actor who can't get his accent right. Mind you, it can be done. I was bowled over by Chirs O Donnell in Circle of Friends (I actually believed he was Irish for a while) and Kate Hudson in About Adam. She got the south Dublin accent spot-on. Obviously they both had good voice coaches.

GQfluffy

Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:00 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 34):
Reese Witherspoon in Walk The Line

Of course, you do know that she is southern...
This isn't where I parked my car...

CupraIbiza

Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:11 pm

Quoting A340Spotter (Reply 33):
Anthony LaPaglia (AUS) playing the lead in Without a Trace. Never realized he was from Australia until recently.

Thats because for all intents and purposes he is now American! He has lived there for around 20 years I think and now speaks with a cringe inducing combo accent.
Everyday is a gift…… but why does it have to be a pair of socks?

exFATboy

Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:32 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 25):
Nice to see many BSG characters in it (especially Katie Sackhoff as the 'bad girl').

Speaking of English accents and Battlestar Galactica, it wasn't until I saw an interview after the first season ended that I found out Jamie Bamber (Lee "Apollo" Adama) is English.

I'd presumed he was American, or Canadian, as is most of the cast of BSG - except for the two Adamas, President Roslyn, Gaius Baltar, and Starbuck, all the major recurring characters are played by Canadians (except Dualla, she's South African.)

IFEMaster

Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:43 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 37):
Of course, you do know that she is southern...

Yes, but her natural voice doesn't have nearly as much 'twang' to it. She's from Louisiana and June Carter Cash was from Virginia (although spent a lot of time in Tenessee). The accents are vastly different, and Witherspoon mastered it in Walk The Line.

Banco

Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:23 pm

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 39):
it wasn't until I saw an interview after the first season ended that I found out Jamie Bamber (Lee "Apollo" Adama) is English

His Dad's American though, so you'd imagine he wouldn't have had a problem with the accent anyway.

Maverick623

Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:41 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 33):
Mark Wahlberg in The Departed with his fantastic Bostonian accent

I thought he was from Boston?

agill

Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:11 pm

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 9):

Like Jessica Alba.. and.... other things.

I like how english speaking actors seem to switch between accents so efffortlessly. Thats something I really hate with swedish actors, they do the worst accents.

Springbok747

Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:03 am

Quoting A340Spotter (Reply 32):
Anthony LaPaglia

He's American. He was born in ADL, but hes been in the US for 20 something years...so that makes him an American. He can't speak with the Aussie accent anyway.

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 38):
except Dualla, she's South African.

She is Canadian. Born in SA, but raised in Canada.

Quoting Banco (Reply 40):
His Dad's American though, so you'd imagine he wouldn't have had a problem with the accent anyway.

But have you seen him behind the scenes (I think it was on the miniseries DVD), he has a thick British accent. Amazing he can pull off the American accent so well.
אני תומך בישראל

Banco

Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:12 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 43):
But have you seen him behind the scenes (I think it was on the miniseries DVD), he has a thick British accent. Amazing he can pull off the American accent so well.

Of course. But if you've lived with someone almost all your life, it is much easier to be able to imitate their accent. That's what I'm getting at.

Maverick623

Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:16 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 44):
Of course. But if you've lived with someone almost all your life, it is much easier to be able to imitate their accent. That's what I'm getting at.

Meh, everytime I go to the UK (about once a year) it takes me about a day to pick up on the accent. Never lived there or lived with anyone who talks with any kind of UK accent.

FlySSC

Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:37 am

Oh my god !!! I can't believe nobody mentionned Joan Collins yet !

andz

Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:02 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 20):
Nope, Percy was played by Tim McInnerny.

Oops
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...