runway23

How To Surf On A Different Port Than 80?

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:24 pm

It appears the ITs here have slowed down port 80 to a very slow speed. This becomes evident with youtube where videos take 10 minutes to load but limewire downloads can reach 250kbps.

How can I configure my browser to surf on a different port than port 80 (and which ones can be used?) so that I am not subject to this foolishness?

LHRjc

RE: How To Surf On A Different Port Than 80?

Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:31 pm

Quoting Runway23 (Thread starter):
How can I configure my browser to surf on a different port than port 80 (and which ones can be used?) so that I am not subject to this foolishness?

You can't, easily. Depending on what ports are open on the router / firewall you're trying to get out to the Internet through, it may be possible to use a public proxy server using, for example, port 8080, but if you're already using a proxy to get out to the Internet you're likely screwed. Look in your internet options (Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings in IE) and see if there is a proxy server specified. If there isn't try using a public proxy server (google "public proxy servers" to find one) which is not on port 80. There are loads out there, but I don't know which ones are any good or not. If there is already a proxy server in there, don't touch it  Smile

You will then however be constrained by the speed of the link from your PC to the Internet, and also how busy the public proxy is, so there's no guarantee it'll help.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, unless it really is that unbearably slow.

Hope that helps  Smile
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

CPH757

RE: How To Surf On A Different Port Than 80?

Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:43 pm

An alternative is to setup a tunnel (VPN, SSH etc.) to an outside network and route all your internet traffic through that link. Off course this depends on the firewall configuration on both networks whether you are allowed to or not, and it requires that you have access to another network with a VPN server og 24/7 connected computer that can act as one.
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-