bill142

Australian Election Thread

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:43 am

So after much debate of when the election is going to be held, November 24 has been announced as the day.

What do you think? Will we be continuing with a Liberal government or will Labor be able to convert enough voters to usher in a change?

Please keep it civil.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=305099

QANTAS077

RE: Australian Election Thread

Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:33 am

Hopefully Howard finally gets what's coming to him for his divisive style of governing over the last decade.

[Edited 2007-10-14 01:34:50]

QANTAS077

Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:49 am

and don't forget that writs are issued on 17th October so 8PM that day is the last chance you have to enrol too vote...Howard has done this in order to keep the youth vote out of the equation.

QANTAS077

Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:09 am

I wonder if CH10 understands that there are 2 major parties contesting this election? Their news report tonight was appalling and did nothing but focus on the Liberals and spent 4mins speaking with Howard.

TSV

Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:54 am

Well the ads have started already (which makes you wonder about ad slots and what ads were already ready to go) and the Libs have trotted out an "L" for Learner type ad as they did when Latham was the Labour Leader but with also a reference to the number of ex Union Reps being in the Labour Team. Bit of a stale start and just proof that they have no new ideas. If they want to have any chance of winning they'd be better off reinforcing what they inherited when they came into Government and where we are now.

For Labour to win they just have to make sure they don't make any mistakes or at least any more mistakes like whathisname who is not going to be Foreign Minister did this week and Rudd's piss weak slap over the wrists.
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

Banco

Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:05 am

As an interested (but not especially knowledgeable) observer, is it possible for Howard to drag back the deficit in the opinion polls? It looks like a foregone conclusion. Is it?
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

bill142

Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:20 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 5):
As an interested (but not especially knowledgeable) observer, is it possible for Howard to drag back the deficit in the opinion polls? It looks like a foregone conclusion. Is it?

Labor were miles ahead in the opinion polls prior to the last election and the coalition were returned in a landslide.

Banco

Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:22 am

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 6):
Labor were miles ahead in the opinion polls prior to the last election and the coalition were returned in a landslide.

OK. Why? And could it happen again?

Forgive me for asking basic, obvious questions, but I'm interested.

bill142

Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:42 am

They attacked Mark Lathams lack of economic credentials mainly. The bombing of our embassy in Jakarta during the campaign probably helped as it brought national security into focus and that is something which the coalition have been strong on. Latham wasn't helped by the fact that members of his own party attacked his forestry policy.

TSV

Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:52 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 5):
is it possible for Howard to drag back the deficit in the opinion polls?

Highly unlikely although not impossible particularly if Labour drop any clangers.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 6):
Labor were miles ahead in the opinion polls prior to the last election

I don't recall that they were "miles" ahead. I seem to remember it was more like 51-49 or 52-48 which was pretty similar situation to what Beasley had the election before. The difference was on the night : Howard worked the marginals and held on against Beasley; while the Voters deserted Latham possibly after his stance in Tasmania and possibly sensing that he was what he proved himself to be - a loose cannon.

Quoting Banco (Reply 7):

In short - No. Bit different this time. Margin is greater, Howard is perceived as out of touch, old, and stale, Rudd tries to control everything tightly, Labour is paying much more attention than last time to the marginals (including selecting Candidates that actually have half a brain), and Policy isn't that much different (except of course on IR which Labour really can't change in the very short term given that they have said that AWAs created and approved under Work Choices will still be valid for the term of their contract).

However having said that it ain't over till the probervial sings and people can change their minds once they get in that little voting booth with the HB pencil.

CupraIbiza

Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:53 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 7):

Mark Latham showed his true colours (he is a certified loon!) Also as mentioned his forestry policy (delvivered lots of votes in Tasmania) also they came up with weirdo policies like Medicare Gold. In short they got desperate.

Rudd and Co only need to play a straight bat, keep their cool and they should romp it in.
Everyday is a gift…… but why does it have to be a pair of socks?

Gemuser

Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:13 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 7):

OK, Banco, YOU asked for it!!! Smile

Our House of Representative elections are exactly like your House of Commons elections EXCEPT we use a preferential voting system, which has the effect of making things less predictable.

First, if you're not up with preferential voting systems, see this Wiki article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preferential_voting
See in particular the section headed "Australia"

Second is the make up of electorates. Despite the image Oz is a highly urbanised country, even more urbanised than most of Europe or North America, but with VERY LARGE distances between urban centres. The eastern half of Queensland is the only part of the country that approaches world norms for population distribution.
Electorates are supposed to be about the same size (population wise) across the country but sometimes it just gets to hard to be practical, so size does vary, tending to put more seats in the country than the cities, than would other wise be the case.

Now the tricky bit! When you combine the above two points, results tend to be much more evenly spread than in the UK, with a slight bias to the National (Country) Party.

This evenness comes from two situations.
One: There are a large number of candidates for one seat. 10/12 is not unheard of, six or so is common. In the UK a candidate in a six way contest can get elected with 17% +1 of the vote ie the candidate with the most votes. Under our system you must get 50% + 1 to be elected. Which why the Wiki article calls it a "instant run off system" because you have already cast your vote for the run off election if nobody gets 50% +1.
The result of this is that a strong independent or minor party candidate can influence the result of the election by "directing preferences", which is a recommendation to those who voted for him on who to put 2nd, 3rd etc. This makes some seats very unpredictable.
Two: There is a very, very strong local independent or minor party candidate who has a good shot at getting elected. This is more common at the state level, but is certainly not unknown at the Federal level. In this situation the major party with the least chance of winning may "run dead", in effect a sham campaign covertly supporting the minor/independante candidate on the assumption that they don't count in forming governments.

So all of this means that elections, particularly Federal elections are normally very unpredictable. You probably still don't get it, fully, but it's a bit like cricket, I'm afraid, unless you grow up with it it is very, very hard to follow!

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

Banco

Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:17 pm

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 11):
You probably still don't get it

Actually, I know the system (my degree's in politics - and history), I'm just not up to date with the dynamics of Australian politics on a day to day level.

Thanks for the explanation.

QANTAS077

Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:21 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 7):

forgive me but it sounds more like your barracking for Howard more than anything else...

Quoting TSV (Reply 9):
Bit different this time. Margin is greater

its not that its greater but the fact that the margin has consistently as is for the last 10 months...people are sick to death of hearing from John Howard, they stopped listening the day Rudd took over from Kim Beazley. If Turnbull or Costello were to takeover tomorrow then the Liberal party would be a chance because the public would be forced to listen to what's on offer from new leaders...Howard's to drunk with power and wouldn't even entertain the idea...he'll take them all with him rather than give it to Costello.

Quoting TSV (Reply 4):
reference to the number of ex Union Reps

I'm surprised nobody has done one on the amount of ex lawyers that cram the front bench of the government?

Its LABOR too, not LABOUR!

Banco

Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:24 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 13):
forgive me but it sounds more like your barracking for Howard more than anything else...

Eh?  Confused

Don't be absurd. Why would I give a stuff who wins?

I was interested, that's all. Blimey.  Yeah sure

CupraIbiza

Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:42 pm

How did you interpret that?

I'm surprised nobody has done one on the amount of ex lawyers that cram the front bench of the government?

Comparing this to ex union leaders is apples and bowling balls.... and you know it

gkirk

Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:44 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 14):
Eh? Confused

Don't be absurd. Why would I give a stuff who wins?

I was interested, that's all. Blimey. Yeah sure

Ssshhh....he's one of QFF's anti Monarchy buddies  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Gemuser

Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:45 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 12):
Actually, I know the system (my degree's in politics - and history), I'm just not up to date with the dynamics of Australian politics on a day to day level.

Why didn't you say so! So's mine  Smile

In more compact terms. The polls showing Labor ahead are national polls, they do not measure at the indivual seat level. Because of this the suprises thrown up by the preferintial system and electorate distribution factors, always come out of the blue. Having said that nothing has, so far, shown up in news reports to suggest that there is an unusal number of such factors in play, this time. But you NEVER know.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

Banco

Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:52 pm

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 17):
Because of this the suprises thrown up by the preferintial system and electorate distribution factors, always come out of the blue.

Yes, I'm sure. Have the pollsters come up with a way to model that, yet? If so, what do those polls show?

gkirk

Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:55 pm

There was just something on the news over here a few mins ago about Australians and their voting...apparently they very rarely change government if the economy is on a high, whether they agree with the gov's policies or not?
So is Australia's economy booming at the moment, and could that lead to Howard remaining in his position?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

TSV

Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:17 pm

Strange interpretation.

Its LABOR too, not LABOUR!

Gee that's a dead giveaway that I'm not a card carrying party member. (Or is it?)

Gemuser

Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:39 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 18):
Yes, I'm sure. Have the pollsters come up with a way to model that, yet? If so, what do those polls show?

The only way is what is called marginal/special intrest seat polling. It's VERY expensive to get people on the ground in country seats and telephone polling does not work well in many seats.
I have not seen any marginal polling in this campagin yet, but expect to do so in the next couple of weeks. If it does not throw up anything new it could be a very boreing election!

Gemuser

baroque

Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:03 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 2):
and don't forget that writs are issued on 17th October so 8PM that day is the last chance you have to enrol too vote...Howard has done this in order to keep the youth vote out of the equation.

And he needed to do that from the polls!

Quoting Banco (Reply 5):

If he can, then the guys who run the polls, will shoot someone, either themselves or possibly just go out and start a new tradition of political assassinations just afore the results are declared.

In summary most unlikely, but heck, England are in the rugby finals!

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 11):
OK, Banco, YOU asked for it!!!

Excellent summary Anthony G, so what ARE you doing on election night?  angel 

One aspect that has been missed out (I think) is that Howard rather hopes the polls so far are the ultimate Aus practical joke and that the night will show the real feelings.

I suspect they will show the real feelings and they are that we are not waiting for Howard with a baseball bat (as was said of Keating in 1996) but with a cricket bat, so much easier to use you know!

flyboysp

Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:13 pm

With much of the polling being conducted on a two party preferred basis, what is/ has there been recent polling of the remaining parties.

I'm curious to see how it is going, as i believe that the preferences will play a key role, particularly in key marginals, which could prove to be so vital.
#proudtobeabulldog

baroque

Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:37 pm

Quoting Flyboysp (Reply 23):
With much of the polling being conducted on a two party preferred basis, what is/ has there been recent polling of the remaining parties.

Don't forget that whatever happens, the Libs will control the Senate until mid 2008.

Hope that Vic Lab get their prefs sorted out better this time.  Wow!

flyboysp

Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:05 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 24):
Don't forget that whatever happens, the Libs will control the Senate until mid 2008.

And interesting times it will be until then.
#proudtobeabulldog

QANTAS077

Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:49 pm

Quoting CupraIbiza (Reply 15):
Comparing this to ex union leaders is apples and bowling balls.... and you know it

care to enlighten me as to which were ex-union leaders? being a member of a union and being its leader are two different things altogether.

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 19):
So is Australia's economy booming at the moment

well the economy was booming when Howard won against Keating...we'd already experienced 5 years of record growth, the economy isn't booming as such, its a certain sector which is fuelling it, that sector being mining and energy and the fact that the Chinese are buying everything on offer...the fact that raw metal prices has increased also helps the case. If the economy was booming as some would have you believe then Australian's wouldn't be foreclosing on their houses in record numbers.

Quoting TSV (Reply 20):
Strange interpretation.

really? not from where I was sitting...

Quoting TSV (Reply 20):
Gee that's a dead giveaway that I'm not a card carrying party member. (Or is it?)

its a little like Qantas being spelt Quantas...

Springbok747

Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:59 am

Oh damn...now we'll have to endure a whole month of election ads. I'm already getting sick of them.
אני תומך בישראל

TSV

Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:10 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 26):
its a little like Qantas being spelt Quantas...

No that's usually just ignorance (typical of a certain nationality) - this is a pisstake as in "hard" labour rather than "new" Labor. (Memo from Kevin : From now on just use the ASX code of "ALP").

exFATboy

Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:22 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 27):
Oh damn...now we'll have to endure a whole month of election ads. I'm already getting sick of them.

Trust me, compared to what we go through here in the States you have it easy by comparison... scared ...our presidential election cycle never actually ends any more. A mere month sounds like heaven.

SpinalTap

Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:54 am

It will be interesting to see the debate(s), could Howard claw his way back with a strong performance?
"I get what they call a stipend, a stipend is like money but its such as small amount they don't really call it money"

baroque

Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:08 am

.the fact that raw metal prices has increased also helps the case.

Depends a bit on which case you are making. Iron ore and coal, esp coking coal price increases have been even more significant contributors.

However, while these monster increases in export income have been occurring and the prices of most imports have been in their steepest decline EVER, these master money managers have managed to preside over about the worst trade deficit figures also ever. With the A$ over 90cUS as a result of commodities prices and high interest rates courtesy of J Howard and P Costello, it will be a miracle if we end the decade with any manufacturing industry at all - but then that industry was full of unionists so we would not want to keep that would we?

And how is this productivity mad government actually doing with productivity?

2000 to 2006 Aus hard coal production
303.0 310.9 333.2 342.0 351.5 366.1 378.8 373.8
An increase of 23.4%

1989 to 1996 the dreadful Hawke Keating years.
201.9 210.4 218.4 229.1 228.7 233.6 245.3 256.1
An increase of 26.8%

See how much extra productivity you get out of Lib/Nat policies?

You can also see how production has leaped as a response to the doubling of coking coal prices between 2003 to 2004 - oh, it actually went down, now there is a strange thing!

Then we could move on to the extraordinary LNG contract encouraged by Howard between Woodside and China. No details available, but the rumours suggests that there are no escalation clauses in a very long term contract that was not struck at a particularly favourable price. At a rough estimate, the same gas would now be sold at about twice the price that was fixed. Oh yes, let these guys manage our money a bit longer. The folk that gave us Telstra - well Paul started off badly, but they did not have to manage such a lousy set of endings.

QANTAS077

Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:16 am

tax cuts from the government...you beauty! now we can look forward to higher inflation figures and higher interest rates!

SpinalTap

Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:53 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 32):
tax cuts from the government...you beauty! now we can look forward to higher inflation figures and higher interest rates!

Are you going to make the same comments when Labor announce their tax cuts?
"I get what they call a stipend, a stipend is like money but its such as small amount they don't really call it money"

baroque

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:19 am

Quoting SpinalTap (Reply 33):
Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 32):

Well H J does have form. Go back to the "Fistful of dollars" campaign in 1977 and see where that got us. Just one of many awful policies of the Fraser government. Interestingly the Dems got over 11% of the vote that election, so perhaps Dems are less easy to bribe than Libs???

QFA380

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:21 am

Depends what taxes they cut.... Cutting Income Tax year after year is stupid. How about cutting Super tax? Now that would be a smart move. Or what about cutting taxes that are put on houses?

Quoting SpinalTap (Reply 30):
It will be interesting to see the debate(s), could Howard claw his way back with a strong performance?

Of course he won't, John Howard is a useless speaker, Kevin Rudd is much better and can think on his feet.

I can't wait until the election is over and hopefully we will have a new Prime Minister. I think Labor needs to tell us all how John Howard will hand the leadership over to Costello. Some people like Howard, but everyone hates Costello.

QANTAS077

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:22 am

are you going to guarantee that the ALP are going to give us income tax cuts? latest CPI figures haven't even come out yet and they go and do this, everyone with a brain in this country understands its nothing more than bracket creep reductions. God help us all if the CPI is higher than expected and then we add this on top...perhaps you know more about our economy than us peasants that live here?

I'm starting to realise why the government won't release it's report which highlighted the effects of bracket creep.

[Edited 2007-10-15 03:26:41]

[Edited 2007-10-15 03:26:54]

baroque

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:25 am

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 35):
Of course he won't, John Howard is a useless speaker, Kevin Rudd is much better and can think on his feet.

Anyone watch the two of them being tortured by Kerry O'B on 7.30 rep on Monday?

Howard's hands were shaking and I thought the two of them might come to blows. Rudd and Kerry was a walk in the park by comparison. Still I expect it will be put down as Kerry's "well known" (actually not known at all) left wing bias. Just wait till Gerard Henderson starts bleating about the different treatment.

QANTAS077

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:25 am

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 35):

I heard that Howard demanded the debate NOT have a worm indicator...

CupraIbiza

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:28 am

Quoting CupraIbiza (Reply 15):

care to enlighten me as to which were ex-union leaders? being a member of a union and being its leader are two different things altogether.

Greg Combet? Bill Shorten?

QFA380

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:37 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 37):

I didn't see that one but I've seen other ones and Howard really doesn't like that guy. He makes him feel uneasy and asks him hard (for him) questions. Poor Howard has no clue what to say...

bill142

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:40 am

Quoting CupraIbiza (Reply 39):

Which one of these two was it that didn't know the name of the main street of their electorate?

baroque

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:55 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 36):
I'm starting to realise why the government won't release it's report which highlighted the effects of bracket creep.

Yes, indeed, the reason for that extraordinary quirk of a decision perhaps becomes obvious. What I cannot work out is how someone has not modeled the answer and published their estimates. Perhaps someone will do that now. How can bracket creep be a state secret? That is stuff straight out of China - lucky Rudd speaks Mandarin!

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 40):
Quoting Baroque (Reply 37):

I didn't see that one but I've seen other ones and Howard really doesn't like that guy. He makes him feel uneasy and asks him hard (for him) questions. Poor Howard has no clue what to say...

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2007/s2060152.htm
Hmmm, the site is showing something from about 10 Oct. Maybe they will catch up. They are threatening a transcript. I think I will keep my DVD recording, I just have a feeling that there might be more about tonight's program.

I would have to go back and check. I don't think the Qs to Howard were any more difficult but Howard was bristling in advance. Even when Kerry implied Rudd was a bit of a jerk over pulling McC into line over the death penalty, Rudd was sunny and took the argument off where he wanted.

I have a feeling that Howard might not be on the 7.30 much during the campaign.

CupraIbiza

Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:00 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 42):
, and he fucked it up big time! didn't know the average weekly wage nor the current interest rate.

Rudd got the AWE wrong as well.... and by a lot more

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 41):
Which one of these two was it that didn't know the name of the main street of their electorate?

I think it was Combet.

Shorten lives very close to his upcoming electorate

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 42):

I know those 2...that's it, 2, when the unions are virtually irrelevant in this country now? pull the other one, it plays who do you trust.

Martin Ferguson, Simon Crean.
Irrelevant they maybe, but they have plenty of dollars to spend on advertising. (or going out to lunch if its the TWU)

QANTAS077

Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:05 am

Quoting CupraIbiza (Reply 44):
Rudd got the AWE wrong as well.... and by a lot more

1/2 v 0/2 and the man running the country doesn't know the current interest rate which only rose 6 weeks ago...

Quoting CupraIbiza (Reply 44):
but they have plenty of dollars to spend on advertising. (or going out to lunch if its the TWU)

big deal, the government gets plenty of funding from big business and the Brethren for its advert campaign, the union members atleast have the decency to vote.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...ists/2007/10/14/1192300599891.html

[Edited 2007-10-15 04:08:30]

baroque

Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:07 pm

CupraIbiza

Which is more enjoyable, being done over by a bunch of lawyers or by a bunch of unionists?

Interesting how even some of the lawyers seem to have been making a left turn of late.

CupraIbiza

Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:43 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 45):
Which is more enjoyable, being done over by a bunch of lawyers or by a bunch of unionists?

Interesting how even some of the lawyers seem to have been making a left turn of late.

An interesting question you pose. I havent ever thought of it in such philisopical terms. But I will pick the lawyers. What can I say I finished school in 1991 "tried" to join the workforce in the middle of the disaster created by Cain/Kirner and Hawke/Keating. 12% unemployment is still a very vivid memory for me, and I am finding it hard to forgive.

CupraIbiza

Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:00 pm

Quoting CupraIbiza (Reply 46):
disaster created by Cain

I forgot to mention that he was a lawyer!

baroque

Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:24 pm

Quoting CupraIbiza (Reply 46):
Quoting Baroque (Reply 45):

An interesting question you pose. I havent ever thought of it in such philosophical terms. But I will pick the lawyers. What can I say I finished school in 1991 "tried" to join the workforce in the middle of the disaster created by Cain/Kirner and Hawke/Keating. 12% unemployment is still a very vivid memory for me, and I am finding it hard to forgive.

Yes, they were difficult times. But WADR a longer perspective gets you back to the time when I promised to give money to the Salvos but only if Aus had the wit to throw out Fraser and JH - and why did I want them thrown out, because the unemployment rate was so high! Not to mention a very high interest rate and having put the country in hock to a more than (then) usual extent. Since then of course I refuse to support the Salvos now they have become entangled in Johnnies futile crusade on drugs to the point where they will not accept any harm minimization strategies!

But you would have been a wee bit young to remember that. Also, all who remember Aus cities pre-Whitlam still have visions of horrid dirt roads and no sewers. Whatever else Whitlam did, he sealed the roads and made it so the dunny can men had to find another job!! You should read the Outcasts of Foolgarah by Frank Hardie to get a bit of the flavour of living in 1960s Aus cities. It also happens to be extremely funny. Crazy Darcy Meanswell was stated to have been born with a silver spoon in his mouth and a can of worms in his brain. I met the son of the person for whom this was intended, and the son was a highly competent mining engineer.

The dirt roads were a particular problem in Wollongong where the winter westerlies used to tear up the finer grit so that everywhere was permanently coated with a thick layer of dust from the roads for about 5 months of each year.

According to the latest poll breakdown, your age group is most strongly for Rudd. Mine is supposed to be tolerant of the current PM, aka LR. I guess he ran out of my capacity for tolerance - probably about the time he sooled Andrews onto the NT euthanasia law. So much for the man who spent so many years trumpeting states rights, yes I know the NT is not a state, but the principle should apply.

I would claim that Andrews subsequent performance indicates I picked him early! What a total dill. Still one can only assume he is doing the Fieldmarshall's orders.

NAV20

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:57 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 48):
According to the latest poll breakdown, your age group is most strongly for Rudd. Mine is supposed to be tolerant of the current PM, aka LR.

Generally correct, Baroque, though I'm an exception in your age-group! But then I'm not tolerant of ANY politicians, so I probably don't count.  Smile

As a sidelight, I heard a while ago that polling for all or any purposes is having radically to change its methods. This is partly because people are increasingly intolerant of ANY form of telephone canvassing; I don't know about you but I choke off all 'marketing calls' as soon as they come on (except for the ones from India, I tell THEM that I can't understand their English, which usually persuades THEM to hang up on ME!  Smile. Another factor is the significant number of people (particularly young people) who depend on mobiles and wireless and don't have landline phones at all, even for the internet.

All forms of market research have been largely dependent on telephone canvassing for many years. I gather they're now having to trend back towards old-fashioned door-stepping, clipboards in shopping centres, etc. Serve them right........
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci