swiftski

Three Die In Courtroom Shooting

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:16 am

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,70131-1288779,00.html

Quote:
An Albanian man opened fire in an Italian courtroom, killing his estranged wife and one of her relatives before being shot dead by police.

The man was in the courtroom in Reggio Emilia, in northern Italy, for a hearing to legally separate from his wife, the ANSA news agency reported.

How did they get guns into the court room? Surprises me. Sad story.

Queso

RE: Three Die In Courtroom Shooting

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:06 pm

How can something like this happen with the strict gun laws European countries have? I guess he chose not to observe those laws.

Unfortunate.

Quoting Swiftski (Thread starter):
How did they get guns into the court room?

Metal detectors mean almost nothing, they are merely a feel-good measure in most cases short of airport security. There are MANY ways to get around them.

ZakHH

Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:34 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 1):
How can something like this happen with the strict gun laws European countries have? I guess he chose not to observe those laws.

What is your point? Laws do not make sense, because they can be broken?
Gun laws have no effect, which is proven by 1 single incident?

But I agree with your 2nd statement:

Quoting Queso (Reply 1):
Metal detectors mean almost nothing, they are merely a feel-good measure in most cases short of airport security. There are MANY ways to get around them.

Plus, Italy has a certain reputation on a rather lax discipline with security controls. No generalization intended, but in Italian football, there have been several incidents with items thrown or used inside the stadium that must never have gotten there. I remember one incident with a burning motor scooter being thrown towards the field of Milan's San Siro stadium.

Anyway, that said, the shooting in question here could basically happen anywhere, and no gun law in the whole wide world will be able to make sure that such things would never happen.

However, gun laws can help to reduce the frequency of such incidents, and unless my impression is wrong, that works quite alright here in good ol' Europe.
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

MD11Engineer

Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:21 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 1):

Italy has a long, practically unguardable, coastline. Opposite, on the other side of the Adriatic, lies Albania and the former Yugoslavian countries. There is much human trafficking by small boats across the Adriatic from Albania to Italy.

Some ten years ago, therewas a civil war in most of former Yugoslavia and also a revolution in Albania. During this time government armouries were looted.
The Albania Mafia, has, together with the Russian one, the reputation of being the most ruthless in Europe (in so far as they have used violent methods to push the established local organised crime out of many areas of business all over Europe).
One area of business the Albanian Mafia deal with is gun smuggling. E.g. in Germany it is easier and cheaper to get an illegal Albanian or former Yugoslavian AK-47 than to get a licence for a legal hunting rifle.

Then, at least in rural areas of northern Albania, many people rather still obey a traditional code of conduct, which includes blood revenge, than regular law.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

slider

Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:33 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 1):

Gun laws are great huh? They take the hands out of law abiding people and then you have someone who chooses not to follow an administrative law. Ah, the folly of these ways. It's so apparent yet so many across the world choose to ignore the obvious.

Queso

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:03 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 5):
Gun laws are great huh?

I guess I should have included this with my post:  Yeah sure

MDorBust

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:07 pm

At last the deeply hidden secret ploy of treachery and intrique has been revealed. Queso is secretly and anti who has been posing as and RKBA advocate to learn our inner most secrets!!! Dun Dun DUHHHHHHHHH!!!!
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

Jpax

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:51 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 1):
There are MANY ways to get around them.

Boondock Saints, anyone? Up and over the metal detector.

slider

Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:28 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 6):

I guess I should have included this with my post:

Oh I got your sarcasm....good stuff. Just added on for effect.  Smile

Queso

Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:50 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 7):
Queso is secretly and anti who has been posing as and RKBA advocate to learn our inner most secrets!!! Dun Dun DUHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Shhhhhh! Don't tell all those redneck NRA nutjobs I've been hanging around with!

Ever heard the phrase "From my cold, dead hands"?  Wink

KSYR

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:09 pm

Interesting incident, thankfully the gunman was brought down before he could hurt anyone else. Does anyone know if Italy uses armed officers in their courtrooms? And if not, maybe this incident could change that policy...?

Gemuser

Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:28 am

Quoting KSYR (Reply 10):
Does anyone know if Italy uses armed officers in their courtrooms? And if not, maybe this incident could change that policy...?

I don't know about Reggio Emilia, in northern Italy, but I have been in a court room in Palermo, Sicily and armed was the understatement of the century! The entry was a tank trap, with two tanks beyond it, everybody was armed with very large guns (no idea what type). There were 10 or 12 such armed men on the gate and just about every where inside the building.
Of course this was for Mafia trials in the 1990s, but certainly some Italian are "armed"!

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85