767Lover
Topic Author

Those In Vol. Military Svc: What Made You Do It?

Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:36 pm

Ground rules for this thread:

This is NOT meant to be a political discussion or a moral discussion on whether a military is needed or immoral or what. So if you are tempted to write something of that nature, go away.

Now, back to this topic:

I am in awe of the courage and conviction of those who have volunteered for military service (for whatever country they are from, not just U.S.)

I cannot even imagine how much faith --- I'm not necessarily talking religious faith, more of a spiritual faith -- you would have to have to put yourself on the line like that.

I have so much respect for the guys and women who have been brave enough to step up and say, "I'll do it" when so many of us would not have the balls to.

So my question is, what made you decide to do military service? Was it a family tradition? Was it a financial decision? Was it purely a love for your country and a desire to serve your fellow citizens?

I'd love to hear your stories.

And.....THANK YOU.

miamiair

RE: Those In Vol. Military Svc: What Made You Do It?

Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:54 pm

My father instilled in me a sense of duty to honor my country. My father was not born in the US, but Cuba. He fought against Castro in the Bay of Pigs, and after that fell apart, he was offered a commision in the USAF. He was always saying this(US) was the greatest country in the world, and I was honor-bound to defend it.

I joined when I was 17 and did my six years.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

KROC

Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:03 pm

I was 18 and married and not going to college. After being in for about 5 minutes it was clear that a sense of duty and to give something back to my country were the top reasons. Those were the proudest years of my life.

rfields5421

Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:32 pm

For me in 1968-70 - there was a concern about the Vietnam War, but there was never any consideration that I would not go into the military if called. That's just how I was raised in rural Arkansas.

My mother was very concerned. She lost a brother in Belgium in Feb 45. Her sister was in agony in 67-68 while my oldest male cousin was flying as a B/N in USMC F-4's in Vietnam.

My decision in 1971 to leave college and join the Navy was a complex one. For one thing I was wasting my money and time in college. I did not have a high draft number and would probably not be called. But it was a concern.

After my first tour I found a couple things. That I understood the military system. That I liked being appreciated and evaluated on how I did my job and my military duty. That I enjoyed traveling to different countries and seeing the world.

But mostly I had seen countries without freedom, and knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that serving my country was important.

I stayed as long as I could - volunteering for ground combat assignments in Lebanon and the Gulf War after Vietnam. I was one of the best in the Navy in my career field in a combat zone and I trained my men and brought them home.

But along the way, I ended up as a single parent with two teenagers. I retired in 1992.

My son choose to enter the Army in early 1997 - largely because of his lack of job and career prospects.

He served until the fall of 2003, moving to a previously planned civilian job in retail.

He was in a 3rd Infantry Bradley unit which captured the Baghdad airport. He could have avoided the war because his EOS was early enough. We discussed it and one factor in his decision to extend for 9 months was his obligation to the men he led and trained - to take them to war and do his best to bring them home safe.

dl021

Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:48 pm

I joined the Army when I was 17 out of a sense of obligation and duty to the country into which I was born, a country whose soldiers saved the lives of my mother and her family, and defended the constitution which forms the basis of our society.

I'd been fortunate enough to do a good bit of travelling throughout the world during my childhood, and had seen the differences between what we had and what most others had. I'd seen the wall in Berlin, and I'd seen the conditions in thirdworld countries, and I was grateful to have been born here. I saw it as my duty to do my bit to defend my home and that constitution which guarantees the preservation of my rights.

I hope that I served honorably and ably enough, and I know that I stand ready to do what is necessary in the future should the need arise.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

ShyFlyer

Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:03 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Thread starter):
what made you decide to do military service?

A part of me always wanted to give something back. I initially didn't wan't anything to do with the military, as I couldn't fly for them, due to my eyesight. A few years back, I learned that it was possible to fly with my eyesight, so I started investigating it again, ultimately deciding to join the Civil Air Patrol. I'd still get to give something back, but I didn't have to make a long term commitment, and didn't have to uproot my entire life in the process. Now, my service in CAP, while fulfilling, just isn't enough. I'm working with the NM Air National Guard to see what they can offer. I'm also seriously considering the Army as well, as my recent ASVAB scores indicate I have a chance at flying.

Was it a family tradition?

Sort of. I have a lot of Uncles on both sides of the family that have served. They joined to serve their country, but also due to lack of job opportunities at the time. Upon discharge, many of them found jobs directly related to what they did in the service. All of them, though, feel they are better people now having served.

Was it a financial decision?

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in the money. The health benefits cannot be ignored, as I currently have none. But if I was totally motivated by money, I'd stick to the private sector.

Was it purely a love for your country and a desire to serve your fellow citizens?

I'd say most of my desire to serve is motivated by love of country and helping fellow citizens. I mean, in CAP I don't get paid at all, and I have yet to regret any of the time, money, and effort I have expended serving in that capacity. If I do end up joining either the Guard or the Army, I see that as an opportunity to give back more than I do now.
I lift things up and put them down.

ANCFlyer

Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:17 pm

I had decided early on I was going to be in the Army . . . according to my Mother it's something I always talked about as a child . . . .later in life I knew as I grew through Junior High and High School, the Army was what I would do regardless of any other opportunities. I can't say for certain there was any one specific reason. After I got in - about 2 years - I really came to discover an unstoppable sense of pride and fulfillment in my job. I re-enlisted as soon as I was eligible, and went the entire ride . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

747srule

Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:11 pm

I enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps in 1976 because I wanted to serve in the MOST FEARED AND RESPECTED military organization the world has ever known. Semper Fi!!
Jesus is the way,the truth,and the life

Mike89406

RE: Those In Vol. Military Svc: What Made You Do I

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:21 am

I always had a love for Aviation and traveled frequently as a little kid until my father retired with 22 yrs in the Navy. I originally wanted to join after seeing what it did for our family amongst other things it paid the bills,dental, great medical coverage during his time in and continues on for life and it gave him preference in being hired for state/governement civil service jobs.

Lets just say he and my mom were set for life. Unfortunaley my father passed away in 1983.

Growing up as a child I had the privelege of living in Midway Island, Hawaii, Various places in California, Taiwan and flew in to the Phillipine for a 7 day visit all thanks to my dad.

For me it was a family tradition. I also wanted to be part of something bigger so for me serving my country and reaping other benefits as well became a win-win situation. I have been to over 20 some foreign countries, crossed the equator and made some friends for life.

Some of the places I've been to from Aircraft Carriers-

ENGLAND-London, FRANCE-Cannes, Paris, Marseille, ITALY-Naples, Rome, Trieste, GREECE-Corfu, SPAIN-Palma De Mallorca, UAE-Dubai, BAHRAIN-Manama, AUSTRALIA-Perth-Freemantle, TASMANIA-Hobart, Straits of Gibralter, Suez Canal, Adriatic Sea, Equator, INTL date line, Honolulu, Hawaii, ST-Maarten, Ponce, Puerto Rico,

Places that the military has flown me to in line of duty-Seattle-Bahrain UAE via PHL, SNN, Sicily, Norfolk, VA many places in the US.

Tha Navy sent me to schools in Memphis, Pensacola, Chicago area. I did a tour in Brooklyn, NY recruiting and witnessed history in the making Times square during New Years 2000, and 9/11.

The service was like a second mom when I joined I needed discipline and direction and for those who may not know the military was and still is one of the most secure jobs in the US for many years. I'm at amost 16 yrs now 4 to go about to finish my Bachelors Degree from Embry Riddle. Now I have a beautiful family .

Unlike some people I'm not in a combat job per say but I maintain and fix combat jet aircraft for a living and have served on combat vessels. I have much respect for those directly serving in combat.

One thing that I have found in my time working for the government is that a lot of doors and opportunites open up especially where they wouldn't open up by just working in the private sector unless you have plenty of connections, money, and resources.

It's no secret that you don't get rich by being in the service however the benefit package is the best or one of the best I know of anywhere. I can retire at 20yrs with 50% of my last paycheck or the highest 3 yrs at my current rank. Then I could work as a GS employee elsewhere if I choose to do so ane get the credit at for 20 yrs federal govt time. I would have to work 20 yrs as a govt employee and collect a 2nd retierment after that.

I can also choose to become a contractor or work for the private sector.But its up to me how The beauty is I can supplement my military retierment by working in my new employment .

So yeah Job stabilty, and job benefits are big for me. And the miltarys pay scale has became much better over the years. Every since the the start of the yearly pay raises in the 80's they are still giving pay increases every January.

Lastly I feel serving is giving back to my country I feel a sense of pride and teamwork that you wont find in a lot of places.

There are many things I can list that you get from the service too many to name though. The service is not for everybody though however I have ran in to people that have served 4 yrs, 10 yrs etc... at one time and regretted leaving. The most common statement I've heard is " I could be retired already"

The greatest thing is I get to work with or around the greatest combat fighters on a daily basis. Every time I fly commercial the mech in me notices every little detail about the aircraft like the flaps spoilers, and various flight controls, etc...

[Edited 2007-10-19 19:48:36]

eaglekeeper101

Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:58 pm

I had been in college for 2 years and was getting a serious case of burnout. I also wanted to get away from Milwaukee for awhile and see somewhere else, just to feed my wanderlust. Just needed a change of scenery, I guess. So, I joined the USAF.

16 years, 5 assignments, and either visiting or living in 38 different countries later, my wanderlust STILL hasn't been cured yet. Go figure  Wink Thank heavens for plentiful TDYs in my career field!

Some days are great. Some days (or months, or entire deployments) suck. However, it's NEVER boring! I don't regret joining, and wouldn't change a thing.
"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." - Bahá'u'lláh

SaturnVRocket

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:55 pm

Ever since I was a kid I used to have this intense curiosity for what military service would be like. I immigrated over to the US when I was about 9 years old and really fell in love with the US. I ultimately chose the Air Force because I have loved airplanes since before I could talk.

As to what finally made me enlist? Well it was a "perfect storm" of events that led me to get off my lazy ass and do it. First, I really loved my country. Second, the benefits were really, really nice. Third, I was in a bad situation with my ex-girlfriend (we were together at the time) and found my life had really stagnated and I was falling down a nasty hole of debt. And the final factor? I woke up one morning to a phone call from my sister and she asked me if I had seen the news. I said I hadn't, and she proceeded to tell me that two commercial airliners had crashed into the world trade centers, one had hit the pentagon, and another one was supposedly on its way to the white house. The next day I was at the recruiter's office.

halls120

Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:32 pm

So my question is, what made you decide to do military service? Was it a family tradition? Was it a financial decision? Was it purely a love for your country and a desire to serve your fellow citizens?

My back yard growing up was a Naval Air Station (explains why I am an Anetter), and I was a US Naval Sea Cadet in high school. As a teenager, I wanted to go to the Naval Academy and be a carrier pilot, but when you are third alternate in your Congressional district, you need a backup plan.

Mine was either a NROTC scholarship to UCLA, or the Coast Guard Academy. Faced with the reality of living at home and being a commuter student in Westwood, I chose New London, knowing very little about the Coast Guard.

My first summer hooked me - specifically, the two weeks I spent on Eagle. It was magnificent, climbing the rigging at 1 am to reef the mains because a storm was brewing. The next three summers were likewise spent afloat on a variety of cutters. Add to this mix some truly inspiring officer and enlisted instructors at the Academy, who instilled a love of service and devotion to duty, made the decision to stay an easy one.

Earning my command at sea pin during my second tour afloat, and having the Coast Guard send me to law school didn't hurt.

So I guess you can say it was a mix - the CG provided appropriate financial incentives, but in the end, I came to love the mission and the people I worked with. There is a special bond shared by people who put country and their fellow citizens ahead of their own self interests, and I don't regret in the least my decision.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

dl021

Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:07 pm

Quoting 747srule (Reply 7):
I enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps in 1976 because I wanted to serve in the MOST FEARED AND RESPECTED military organization the world has ever known. Semper Fi!!

U.S.M.C. = Uncle Sams Misguided Children

Why does the Navy require Marines in the fleet at sea?

Someone has to lead in the Friday night dances!

Wink

gocaps16

Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:40 pm

I signed up when I was entering my senior year in 2001 with my father on my side, who retired from the Pentagon with the Army. Talked with my recruiter, took the ASVAB in Washington DC and picked an guareenteed job in the aviation field. My reasons were: education, seeing the world, work experience, good enlisted to officer programs, and of course, serving my country. Then a few months later, 9/11 happened a mile away from where i lived near the Pentagon, and that really motivated and hyped me up to go. Guess I picked the right time to join the military. I was shipped to basic training 3 days after my HS graduation in 2002 and I've been in ever since.

jetjack74

Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:56 pm

Well back in 1990, I was in college at the time, and really felt I was just wasting time sitting in lectures. I had talked to the recruiters a year before, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, had all called once or twice, but at that time didn't seriously consider it. But then I was just accepted to college and felt I didn't need it. A year goes by and i'm in my sophmore year and at that point I just felt I had better things to do. I could always go back to college later. So I decided I was going to contact the Navy and the Air Force and see if the aircrew positions I asked about were still open. The Air Force didn't have anything open except for medavac out of Ramstien and Scott AFB. The Navy had several, P-3 IFT ( AQ, AF,AW) H-3/H-60 Aircrew/SAR(AW), C-130 with various source ratings (ABE, AD, AE, HM, AD, AT etc..). I chose P-3 IFT as an AQ and garaunteed a slot for NTC San Diego in the spring of 1991. Best thing I could've done. I enjoy serving today and feel I made the right choice, even though I was switched involuntarily from P-3's to C-130's in aircrew school. But that's the breaks. Still made the right choice.
Made from jets!

BMIFlyer

Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:24 pm

I am in awe of the courage and conviction of those who have volunteered for military service (for whatever country they are from, not just U.S.)

Thanks  Smile

So my question is, what made you decide to do military service?

Well, the result of me joining the military (I'm a volunteer/reservist) is that I'm more confident now than I ever have been. I have also earned alot of respect from the guys and girls at my regular job, on the railway, plus from my family as well.

The military training helps me deal with situations I can encounter in real life, meaning that I know how to react, and compose myself accordingly. Also I can keep fit by following a regular physical training routine, I get to travel alot, and I have made alot of great friends too.

Was it purely a love for your country and a desire to serve your fellow citizens?

I am proud to wear the uniform to be honest, and I will certainly do my duty where and when i'm needed.

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

lobster

Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:41 am

When I graduated high school, my dad kept telling me I should enlist in the Army like he did. Only problem was at the time I had no desire to at all. Fast forward five years and I watched Black Hawk Down, picked up some books on the Rangers, decided that it sounded like fun, though I was in no physical shape to be a Ranger.  Smile I did start thinking about joining the Army though. A couple years later, I finally decided that I was bored, wanted to serve my country, and thought I'd make a good combat medic. So, one day I went down the recruiter, next thing I know I'm at MEPS, signing a contract, and swearing in. I didn't go active because I had a good job at the time, but things have changed now, and I'm actually thinking about switching from the Guard to Active. Joining the Army was BY FAR the best decision of my life and I've loved everyday I've been a part of it. Even those cold, wet, shitty ass days down at Fort Knox. Good times.

ANCFlyer

Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:57 pm

Quoting Lobster (Reply 16):
Even those cold, wet, shitty ass days down at Fort Knox.

Man O Man . . . flashbacks to 1984 and Drill Sergeant School and Heartbreak, Agony and Misery Hills, and Disney Barracks . . . .

Way flashbacks to 1979 and Basic Training/AIT at Knox also.

Spent a lot of years there . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

miamiair

Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:18 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 12):

Because sheep are not allowed on Navy ships...
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

Mike89406

Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:13 pm

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 18):

How original, Navy jokes  yawn 

lobster

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:02 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 17):
Agony and Misery Hills

Yup, I have quite fond memories of those F*#@kers!! Our DS's introduced us to heartbreak and Poorman Range Rd. Our final 20K ruck we did all of them. Can't say I liked it at the time, but it's sure fun to look back on.

HAWK21M

Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:14 pm

My Friend joined up because he considered the Training very usefull.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

dl021

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:57 pm

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 19):
How original, Navy jokes

I wouldn't tell a joke about the Navy!!!

They're true stories!!!!

Wink

Mike89406

Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:57 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 22):
How original, Navy jokes

I wouldn't tell a joke about the Navy!!!

They're true stories!!!!

laughing   laughing   laughing   laughing 

sprout5199

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:31 am

Hmm, Why I joined the Navy?

1. Didn't really want to go to college. After 12 years in school, another 4 didn't sit well with me.
2. Family tradition, My dad and uncle were in the Navy(My uncle had a escort carrier sink from underneath him in WWII.)And a uncle on my mom's side was a waist gunner on a B-24 in WWII,and was a guest of the German Govt after he was shot down. My sister was in the Marines. It sort of runs in the family. Two of my nephews served also,one in the Marines, the other in the Army in Iraq as I type this with the 101st.
3. Duty to country
4. Learn a trade--Electronics Technician
5. See the world

I would do it again in a heart beat but this time when they come to my ship and ask if I want to go to canoe U. I won't turn them down  banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead   banghead  Only regret that I have.

Dan in Jupiter

Mike89406

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:47 am

Men
Always
RIding
In
Navy
Equipment

Come to think of it Flyboys (Air Force) are taking the Army whever they need to go just like the Navy takes the Marines wherever they need to go.

BN747

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:23 am

I joined because I hated my dad and wanted to get as far from him as possible, as fast as possible and at my own expense didn't want his help in anything. Being a military and civil aviation fan, I knew where all the Army, Air Force, Navy and Marine bases were -- worldwide. At sometime or another having been around each type of base and their inhabitants.. the Army/Marines seemed to be least intelligent, so that ruled that out. The possibility of being on a ship more than a day or two killed the Navy. And the Air Force had the most luxurious of duty assignments (and some nightmares like Guam and Adak, Alaska -- but what were the odds). My plan worked like a charm. I got paid, did my duty, learned a lot about people (their reactions under many types of situations), structural organizations, saw a future (a way out at the end of four years) blew off and resisted the BS 're-up' scare tactics and went for it ...in the real world-

Since then, pops & I are totally cool, he is one of the most admired persons I've had the pleasure knowing.

PACAF
BN747

[Edited 2007-10-26 00:25:46]
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

rfields5421

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:29 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 26):
some nightmares like Guam

I asked for Guam out of training - and got it - fantastic place - had a great time. Of course I was in a squadron and able to get away from the island every couple months.

The secret for a young man - go to a local Catholic church away from the base and be nice to the older folks. You'll have more party invitations and friendship than you can handle.

P3Orion

Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:10 am

I was a Junior in college (Geology major) and found myself very bored and dis-interested. I always liked aviation and Air Traffic Control seemed fun and entertaining. I visited Erie ATCT/TRACON and the controllers told me to join the Navy. After some research and comparing the USN against the USAF, I blew off an Art History class and went to the Navy's recruiting station in Erie, PA to enlist (this really upset my parents). After Boot Camp (Great Lakes RTC) and Air Traffic Control "A" School (NATTC Millington, TN), I spent four and a half of the best years at NAS Brunswick, ME. Quitting college and joining the Navy, as a controller, was and is the best thing I have ever done.
I will have a Manhattan.

tz757300

Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:15 am

Quoting P3Orion (Reply 28):
Quitting college and joining the Navy, as a controller, was and is the best thing I have ever done.

Did you ever complete your major? It seems that a degree is something needed for life these days.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

P3Orion

Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:24 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 29):
Did you ever complete your major? It seems that a degree is something needed for life these days

No. I am a controller for the FAA. My background/experience from the Navy, as an ATC'er at NHZ, is the reason I was hired. BTW, my parents are now fine with the decision I made seventeen years ago.  Smile
I will have a Manhattan.

tz757300

Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:35 am

Quoting P3Orion (Reply 30):
BTW, my parents are now fine with the decision I made seventeen years ago

Were they not?
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

LAXspotter

Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:41 am

joined because I hated my dad and wanted to get as far from him as possible, as fast as possible and at my own expense didn't want his help in anything.

kind of the same reason why I have the yearning to join

I blew off an Art History class and went to the Navy's recruiting station in Erie, PA to enlist (this really upset my parents). After Boot Camp (Great Lakes RTC) and Air Traffic Control "A" School (NATTC Millington, TN), I spent four and a half of the best years at NAS Brunswick, ME. Quitting college and joining the Navy, as a controller, was and is the best thing I have ever done

does the NAVY allow this today for enlistees?
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

P3Orion

Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:44 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 31):
Were they not?

At the time, November '90, no. Both my mom and dad were school teachers and enlisting in the military was a shock to them. I remember taking my dad to the recruiting station to show him what I wanted to do. After they visited me at NHZ, and observed what I was doing in the Tower and the TRACON, and saw my happiness they quickly changed their views.
I will have a Manhattan.

P3Orion

Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:46 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 32):
does the NAVY allow this today for enlistees?

I am not sure what you mean?
I will have a Manhattan.

Mike89406

Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:59 am

Quitting college and joining the Navy, as a controller, was and is the best thing I have ever done.

Did you ever complete your major? It seems that a degree is something needed for life these days

Quoting P3Orion (Reply 30):

No. I am a controller for the FAA. My background/experience from the Navy, as an ATC'er at NHZ, is the reason I was hired. BTW, my parents are now fine with the decision I made seventeen years ago.

You're right military experiance is a big plus in the job market. Although in some companies they still prefer a degree nowdays that seems to be the bar set nowdays as there are some places that wont hire anyone without a degree. You also get a lot of young adults with college and no job experiance especially kids fresh out of college. Companies will usually hire experiance though unless you're talking about certain managerial or upper management positions where they need to fill a position with someone with strictly a college background.

Having military/job experiance plus a college degree is a winner hands down anyday someone like this can expect to get paid more than the person with no job experiance.

I know people getting hired on a probational basis in higher level jobs with just say Aviation experiance in the Navy/Air Force with contract jobs like (ie Boeing, Nortrop Grumman etc..) for example providing they get a BS degree in they're field within a certain period of time.

It all depends on the job what they need or require some places are different in how they hire what they did in the miltary how long etc...There are some that get a degree and get out of the miltary and dont even work in the fiekd the degree is in so again I say it all depends on the situation.

LAXspotter

Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting P3Orion (Reply 34):
I am not sure what you mean?

meaning those who only have 1year completed of college education, what careers in the aviation field are open in the navy?

P3Orion

Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:07 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 36):
meaning those who only have 1year completed of college education, what careers in the aviation field are open in the navy?

Well, all of the enlisted "rates" are available. If you want to be a pilot; those positions are reserved for officers ( four year degree, plus OCS). Air Traffic Control is a blast. If you like aviation, you should consider it. You tell pilots, or Naval aviators, what to do.  biggrin 

[Edited 2007-10-27 19:11:41]
I will have a Manhattan.

LAXspotter

Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:10 am

Quoting P3Orion (Reply 37):
Air Traffic Control is a blast. If you like aviation, you should consider it.

yeah, I love playing the "Air Traffic Control" game when Im bored driving on the Highway. I just imagine I'm the controller at LAX, north side  Silly

Mike89406

Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:40 am

Heres some info about the Aviation jobs a few of them have outdated info but pretty close. I'm an Aviation Structure Mechanic (Structures) basically Airframes on EA-6B Prowlers and F-18 A-F models we also work on hydraualics/flight controls systems as well.

Our motto Pilots need a college degree to fly and us mechanics need a HS education to fix them.   

http://www.military.com/Recruiting/C...3898,rec_step06_jobs_navy,,00.html

[Edited 2007-10-27 19:47:54]

LAXspotter

Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:47 am

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 39):

Dude, Thanks now I'm well on my way to an Aviation career as soon my anet membership is over and no more money in the coffers  Big grin

Mike89406

Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:57 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 40):
Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 39):

Dude, Thanks now I'm well on my way to an Aviation career as soon my anet membership is over and no more money in the coffers

Don't get me wrong though I'm 3/4 done with college I will be getting my degree from Embry-Riddle in Professional Aeronautics. I feel this is a personal goal for me not just becuase getting a degree is the thing nowdays.

I will retire in 4 yrs with a pension but will be looking for a second career. I highly recommend finishing college if thats you're goal because as much as I love aircraft and being around them I really don't know If I want to do the same thing when I get out. I still want to work in Aviation but more of an analyst or something different for me.

For me the aviation experiance I've gained is invaluable I can;t even imagine how much money the goverment shelled out to school me throughout my career. Oh yeah were going thru a SIx Sigma transition so that will be valuable to my next job as well.

767Lover
Topic Author

Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:20 pm

I didn't respond to this post for a while because of all the technical difficulties with the server "upgrades." However, I have been reading the responses where possible.

Again, I am in awe of you guys, especially those of you who have done it out of love/duty for your country. That is a totally unselfish act, one which is at times dangerous.

You guys are definitely the most courageous of people, and while there are a lot of people who like to flap their jaws, you guys are actually out there doing things.

Since then, pops & I are totally cool, he is one of the most admired persons I've had the pleasure knowing.

Glad you guys reconciled. We can learn a lot from our parents even if we don't always agree with them,

Quoting RFields5421 (Reply 46):
It doesn't matter what your branch of service or your career field. Everyone can end up in a combat zone.

So true, and it is what makes people who serve voluntarily all the more amazing.

Quoting RFields5421 (Reply 46):
Despite the best efforts of everyone, accidents happen.

People are severely injured and many die - usually several hundred a year during peace time.

Again, so true. Look at the number of deaths -- even in Iraq-- that are due to accidents and have nothing to do with combat.

wingnut767

Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:14 pm

and a few others.

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 18):

You forgot to add that they needed dance partners  duck 

I enlisted in the AIr Force In 1982 At the ripe old age of 17. I went in for a few reasons. To serve my country first and foremost. Ronald Reagan instilled something in me and I was proud to serve under him. Secondly I loved airplanes, especially military jets and wanted to work on them. And then there was the traveling the world. Back in the 80's the military recruiting used the allure of travel to exotic places as a tool. And it worked on me. But as a KC-135 Crew Chief I travelled often and spent much time overseas. The Air Force gave me the training that I needed to become and A&P mechanic and have been working on large jets for 25 plus years. I am currently still in the Air Force Reserves because I feel like that I still need to do my part.

The places that my KC-135's ( tail #'s 56-3633. 57-2499, 62-3502 and 59-1487) took me to

Japan, Okinawa, Korea, Thailand, Philipines, Australia, Guam, Wake Island, Alaska, Shemya (AK), Hawaii, Azores, Spain, England, Germany and a few others.

Also I may make a few jokes abou the other services but I do love all of my brothers past and present. We still have a common cause.
Yakum purkan min shmaya

Charles79

Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:10 pm

Well, I really didn't join the military, I joined the Air Force  Wink  duck 

(Ask any one from the Amry, Marines, or Navy and they'll tell you we are the "Chair Force"!)

Anyway, back on topic, I joined because it seemed like a good decision, and it's been. I had a college degree and a career, so it wasn't for the money. I did have some family history (dad in 'Nam, grandpa in WWII/Korea), plus your average sense of duty and service. The benefits (decent pay, health care, opportunity to travel/be stationed different places) outweighed the negatives (eligible to deploy, work during holidays away from family/loved ones, etc). However, the career field I chose is closer to a private sector job than most in the military, and on a daily basis I feel that I'm more of a white collar worker than a fatigue wearer (I'm a program manager for the USAF in a satellite program and we work in an office complex, in A/C offices, our weapons being e-mail and Power Point!). Thus far I've enjoyed it, got the chance to live in Los Angeles, got a very comfortable pay, have travelled quite frequently to interesting places, plus I got the USAF to pay for my MBA. Furthermore, I met my other half here, so there's really no regrets.

When you add to that the privilege to serve my fellow Americans, that's just the icing on the cake.

Good topic 767Lover!

Charles

FlyDeltaJets87

Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:04 pm

For me and why I joined the Air Force:

-"Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."- JFK

-9/11 was a partial factor, more of a reinforcement about my choice

-Follow in my parent's and grandparents footsteps. Both of my grandfathers were Army, one WWII, one Korea, and both of my parents were Air Force

-I want to fly supersonic jets. Military is about the only place you can do that. My first choice is the B-1.  Smile

-Scholarship benefits. No way I'd be able to afford Embry-Riddle if it wasn't for the Air Force ROTC scholarship.

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 49):
Well, I really didn't join the military, I joined the Air Force

"I love my 5-star hotels and perdium out the ass. I do all of my fighting well within the shore. Cable tv and cappucinos, that's the way you fight a war"- I want to take off from a Carrier by Dos Gringos  biggrin 

I did get a laugh when I attended the Naval Academy Summer Seminar in 2004. We did PT with a Navy SEAL one morning, and his comment was "Air Force PT is 36 holes of golf without a cart." What he doesn't know is that Officers do get carts.  biggrin 

Someone has to lead in the Friday night dances!

Why does the Navy use powdered soap?
Because it takes longer to pick up.
 duck 
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

LAXspotter

Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:06 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 50):
No way I'd be able to afford Embry-Riddle if it wasn't for the Air Force ROTC scholarship

do you even need to go to Embry Riddle after flying in the Air Force?

tz757300

Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:12 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 51):

He's at Riddle right now on a ROTC scholarship, he isn't truly in the Air Force yet.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

FlyDeltaJets87

Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:28 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 51):

At Embry-Riddle doing Aerospace Engineering right now. I hope to continue on to pilot training with the Air Force after graduation. The Air Force doesn't care if your degree is in Underwater Basketweaving or Aeronautical Science or Electrical Engineering. As long as you have a degree, you can both commission and compete for a pilot slot.

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 52):
he isn't truly in the Air Force yet.

Yes and no. At this point, I'm not on active duty, but I am contracted, which puts me in the "Inactice Reserves". And I've been through Field Training (our basic training program) so the Air Force does own my ass; there's no backing out. I'm either serving as an enlisted or as an officer at this point.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

LAXspotter

Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:51 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 53):
Underwater Basketweaving or Aeronautical Science or Electrical Engineering. As long as you have a degree, you can both commission and compete for a pilot slot

hey thanks, next time someone asks me I got a "interesting" major for them.  Big grin