alberchico

BBC: Italian Mafia Makes 120 Billion In Revenues

Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:14 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7057413.stm

Unfreaking belivable. And I thought the Mexico was the screwed up country with corruption....
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

alberchico

RE: BBC: Italian Mafia Makes 120 Billion In Revenues

Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:18 pm

Are there any italians here on the board that can inform us more on this situtation??? Is it really that bad or is an exagerration of the media ???
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Alessandro

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:21 pm

The last ones who fought off the Cosa Nostra was the fascists under "Il Duce", CN co-operated with the allied forces
during WW2.
No, I´m not Italian nor live in Italy.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Norlander

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:41 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 2):

I think this guy's legacy disagrees with you
Longtime Lurker

alberchico

Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:38 am

Now why dosen't the govt take tougher measures against the mafia or are they so well armed that any official who take a hard line against them would be assasinated ???

RacingGreen07

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:33 am

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 4):
Now why dosen't the govt take tougher measures against the mafia or are they so well armed that any official who take a hard line against them would be assasinated ???

The question is HOW does a government control an empire that has expanded so huge!? 120 billion is a whole lotta money. It's just way out of control in my opinion.....

Regards.
A dream worth having is a dream worth pursuing- August Horch- Founder of Audi AG

CupraIbiza

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:42 am

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 4):

OK The Mafia in Italy isnt Tony Soprano and Philly Leotardo.

sure these sort of organised criminals exist. This problem is more to do with the deep seated corruption that has infiltrated basically every organisation (even the football referrees) in the country.

The government cant take itself on!

Short of a brutal dictatorship, the Mafia is here to stay.

I have a relative who owns a cigarette shop in a small village outside of Palermo. Apart from having his cigarettes hijacked often, he pays a regular monthly sum. He didnt want to say how much so I dont know.

I am pleased for Italy that this article has been so widely published. Hopefully those in the EU who see Italy as a drag on the region can see the real reasons why.

I have been to Italy many times, and have many connections to it. I would love to live there, but wouldn't
Everyday is a gift…… but why does it have to be a pair of socks?

RacingGreen07

Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:09 pm

Quoting CupraIbiza (Reply 6):

sure these sort of organised criminals exist. This problem is more to do with the deep seated corruption that has infiltrated basically every organisation (even the football referrees) in the country.

The government cant take itself on!

Short of a brutal dictatorship, the Mafia is here to stay.

The first paragraph makes it sound like some sort of disease
A dream worth having is a dream worth pursuing- August Horch- Founder of Audi AG

rammstein

Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:13 pm

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 1):
Are there any italians here on the board that can inform us more on this situtation

120 Billions? Yikes! Yesterday I received the montly payment from the companies I "control", seems like I have to ask more next time.

(yes, I'm joking)
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

CupraIbiza

Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:55 pm

Quoting RacingGreen07 (Reply 7):
The first paragraph makes it sound like some sort of disease

Actually a disease is quite an apt description.

RJdxer

Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:06 pm

"In five years the family will be completely legitimate" Michale Corleone.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

MD11Engineer

Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:10 pm

There are basically three main organisations in Italian organised crime:
The Sicilian Mafia, which started as a self-defense organisation of peasants against abusive aristocrats centuriers ago and is organised in a strictly hierarchical way, with a top boss and ranks beneath him, the Napolitani Camorra, which consists of independent smaller gangs, organised by trade (smugglung, pimping, gambling, drug pushing) acc. to neighbourhood and the Calabrian 'ndragheta (Spelling?) which is organised in accordance with family lines. All groups are extremely difficult to infiltrate, since in many cases everybody knows everybody from a young age or belongs to the same family.
"Traitors" are ostracized in the whole region and treaterned with death.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

CupraIbiza

Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:25 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 10):
"In five years the family will be completely legitimate" Michale Corleone.

Godfather 3 is often put down. However I think it sheds some light on the seedy world of Italian politics. I highly recommend watching it. Just fast forward any early scence with Andy Garcia or any scene at all with Sofia Coppola

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 11):
Calabrian 'ndragheta (Spelling?) which

'ndrangheta

alberchico

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:33 pm

Quoting RacingGreen07 (Reply 5):
The question is HOW does a government control an empire that has expanded so huge!? 120 billion is a whole lotta money

Since so much activity seems to be concentrated in Sicily, as a show of force the govt can send in the military. If the number of people caught in the crossfire inceases or if foreigners are targeted I could see the Italian army temporary occupying certain regions and declaring temporary martial law.....

RacingGreen07

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:46 pm

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 13):
Since so much activity seems to be concentrated in Sicily, as a show of force the govt can send in the military. If the number of people caught in the crossfire inceases or if foreigners are targeted I could see the Italian army temporary occupying certain regions and declaring temporary martial law.....

The army is an option. However CupraIbiza implies that the majority of the government is infiltrated with corruption and mafioso. So I doubt the mafia would let the government take such action.

If only eh?

Kind Regards.

alberchico

Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:39 am

Quoting RacingGreen07 (Reply 14):
. So I doubt the mafia would let the government take such action.

All it would take is a high profile killing or some innocent foreigners caught in the crossfire.......