lehpron

Sunlight's Been Orange Here In San Diego, CA

Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:52 pm

When the fires first started, I remmeber being told that the days high should have been in the 80's but because of all the smoke the average temperature below the smoke went down to 69*F. That and it was windy, it really didn't feel like a heat wave.

First question: Is that what is meant as the outcome of a nuclear winter, that with enough smoke or filth in the sky, the air below (if breathable) is cold?

Second question: School me on global warming. I've always believe it to mean more extremes not just warmer. While I understand that certain compounds trap heat in the atmosphere, how is it that a smoke filled sky can do the opposite when they are a larger concentration of CO2 gases and stuff?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

redngold

RE: Sunlight's Been Orange Here In San Diego, CA

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:39 pm

Quoting Lehpron (Thread starter):
Is that what is meant as the outcome of a nuclear winter, that with enough smoke or filth in the sky, the air below (if breathable) is cold?

I'll take a stab at this part. "Nuclear winter" has to do both with the blockage of normal sunlight and the particular contamination of the atmosphere which would create nuclei for intense precipitation. If the sun is blocked for an extended period of time, it will cause cooling. With precipitation, much of the retained ground heat will also be dissipated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_winter
Up, up and away!

StarAC17

Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:00 am

Quoting Lehpron (Thread starter):
Second question: School me on global warming. I've always believe it to mean more extremes not just warmer. While I understand that certain compounds trap heat in the atmosphere, how is it that a smoke filled sky can do the opposite when they are a larger concentration of CO2 gases and stuff?

Smoke Particles reflect and obstruct Sunlight and therefore makes it cooler, the same thing happens when Volcanoes erupt and the SO2 gases reflect sunlight.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

miamix707

Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:44 am

That's frigging ironic. It's burning all around but the temperature is only 69??

Everyone is always praising the Cali weather. I myself hate the central florida sticky heat and humidity, October and the humidity is still so high you sweat in your car w/out A/C. But fires, earthquakes? I'll take the florida weather.

redngold

Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:44 pm

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 3):
That's frigging ironic. It's burning all around but the temperature is only 69??

Umm... where there's smoke but no fire, the temperature is lower. Where there is fire, you're in trouble.  flamed 
Up, up and away!