G5ive
Topic Author

Your Top 5 Scariest Movies.

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:28 pm

What are your top 5 scariest movies? And why do you consider them scary?

1) The Exorcist-Come on! This is the one that took scary movies to another level of horror back in 1973. Some people actually had to go to the doctor because of the shock value of this movie. It might not be scary to some now a days, but it's the one that made you sweat when you were alone in your room thinking about it.  scared 

2) Halloween-The mask was the one that did it for me, and yeah who can forget..the music.

3) A Nightmare On Elm Street-Who can forget that scene where Freddy is walking down the alley way with his hands stretched scratching the piping along the fence and of course smiling and the evil laugh. After the shower scene I was scared of taking a shower yeah and of course the bed scene where the guy gets sucked in and blood starts to shoot up, yeah I slept on the floor for about a week. The first part was the scariest, everything else became silly afterwards.

4) The Amityville Horror-The whole haunted house theme does it for me, of course some people don't believe in this stuff but try watching this alone at night with the lights turned off. Then again most scary movies filmed in the 70's were real good.

5) The Hand-I saw this movie when I was about 5 years old. It's about a mans hand getting chopped off in an accident and the hand taking a life of its own and killing people. Yeah silly? Not when you're 5!

Gore and blood is not scary!

[Edited 2007-10-25 14:41:51]

[Edited 2007-10-25 14:56:48]
Do I sign here?

LAXspotter

RE: Your Top 5 Scariest Movies.

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:32 pm

Most of the "scary movies" are mostly gory, and violent, if you put the music of when watching a scary movie, its not scary whatsoever, so I know now when to expect the scary situations, its all a mind game, there is a distinct type of music and the exact moment when the "scary" situation occurs.

A good example of that type of movie is Grudge or the Ring.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

Halcyon

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:32 pm

Although I've seen many scary movies, very few are actually scary. One movie which stands out to me is The Mothman Prophecies. It's not a scary movie per se, but it did manage to raise the hair on the back of my neck once or twice.

Kieron747

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:34 pm

Anyone seen the film called "Don't Look Now" with Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie?

It scared the living shit out of me when I first saw it as a grown man. If you haven't seen it you should. It was made in 197ish and set in off-peak Venice.

It puts all modern horror slash and gore movies to shame. It's a damned scary film.

Rent it, and you'll see.

Kieron
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

Kieron747

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:45 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 1):
the Ring

I hope you mean the original Japanese Ring. Now that was damned scary, The US remake was just plain lame.

slider

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:51 pm

Quoting G5ive (Thread starter):
1) The Exorcist

Totally...still and will probably always be atop my list. Scares the crap out of me even now.

Masterpiece.

A&E Network (I think?) did a special top 100 scariest movies of all time. I'm sure it'll re-broadcast being Halloween and might be on this weekend again. It's a great rundown of some very good and rare films in the mix too...I recommend checking it out. You can squabble about rankings, but it's a good resource nonetheless.

kalakaua

Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:40 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 4):

I hope you mean the original Japanese Ring. Now that was damned scary, The US remake was just plain lame.

RINGU! The remake of "The Grudge" was also a piece of crap.

"The Others" freaked me out a bit. 1408 was a good one, too.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

comorin

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:13 am

What are your top 5 scariest movies? And why do you consider them scary?

1) The Exorcist-Come on! This is the one that took scary movies to another level of horror back in 1973. Some people actually had to go to the doctor because of the shock value of this movie. It might not be scary to some now a days, but it's the one that made you sweat when you were alone in your room thinking about it.

You bet! I had to sleep with the lights on for a month after I saw it... "Tubular Bells" still freaks me out when I hear it.

My list would include:

2. Alien - a masterpiece ahead of its time by Ridley Scott
3. Rosemary's Baby - chilling...
4. The Birds - Fave Hitchcock movie.
5. Poltergeist.

GQfluffy

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:28 am

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 3):
Anyone seen the film called "Don't Look Now" with Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie?

Don't they get a tad bit freaky in that film?  Wink

One movie that gets me to this day, and I really can't explain why, is The Shining. I love the movie, but it still creeps me out...
This isn't where I parked my car...

Toast

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:29 am

I never understand how people manage do get scared by a movie. I'll of course be startled by a sudden, loud, unexpected noise, but I've never yet felt any fear or apprehension while watching a film. I'm easily grossed out and blood and guts will make me squeamish, but being afraid of some danger lurking in the dark, or a haunted house, or zombies?  no  I have to try not to chuckle when I'm in a dark cinema and see people sinking in their seats or whimpering "oh my God, no" when something spooky is about to happen. The best part is that your date will inevitably clutch you or hide her head in your lap rather than see the ghost. Big grin

The Exorcist, scary? Huh? The book was cool, but the film was a huge disappointment for me. Even in the 1970s, I can't fathom how it could freak people out...

I didn't see the Amityville thingy, but I read the book. Entertaining, yes. But scary?

I tried to watch one of the Japanese Ringu movies, but it bored me to tears and I never finished. I watched the American version and I liked the moody, washed-out atmosphere of some scenes but I didn't find the story scary at all. I couldn't believe it spawned several sequels. How much water can you squeeze out of a drowned girl?  duck 

Don't get me wrong, there are things in this world that can easily make me shit myself with fear. Movies just aren't one of those things.  Smile
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

dtwclipper

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:30 am

Event Horizon
Rosemary's Baby
The Exorcist
Alien
Airport '79, The Concorde (it was just wrong)
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

LAXspotter

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting Toast (Reply 9):
I'll of course be startled by a sudden, loud, unexpected noise, but I've never yet felt any fear or apprehension while watching a film

its all the sounds that startle people, I dont go home scared of opening the door at night or getting into the dark room  Silly

Quoting Toast (Reply 9):
The best part is that your date will inevitably clutch you or hide her head in your lap rather than see the ghost

that is what "scary" movies are for
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

sprout5199

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:36 am

The Exorcist

Halloween

A Nightmare On Elm Street

Quoting Comorin (Reply 7):
Alien

Quoting Comorin (Reply 7):
Poltergeist.

thumbsup 

Also the first Friday the Thirteenth. Nearly jumped out of my seat at the end when he comes out of the water and grabs the boat.

Dan in Jupter

Mike89406

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:45 am

I saw a movie in 1981 on TV the movie was about this father and his son that live in a mansion. The father see's this old hearse driving by at different periods (laying in the pool, and other things. and the guy driving the hearse has this evil grin. Every time the hearse driver goes by the guy starts shaking asa matter of fact the guy first saw the hearse driver at a family funeral as a kid.

Anyways my point is the movie is really creepy and I'll never forget it I was 10 when I saw it and now I'm 37 it had a quite and effect on me. Anyways I dont think the title is called "The Hearse" even though the movie "The Hearse" came out in 1980 The hearse wouldn;t have came out on TV until 1982 or later. To this day I still struggle to remember what the name the movie is.

Mike

Toast

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:46 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 11):
its all the sounds that startle people, I dont go home scared of opening the door at night or getting into the dark room

You wouldn't believe how a girlfriend of mine was freaked out after we watched some dopey horror flick late at night in a cinema quite a long walk from home. She was scared absolutely shitless, and refused to walk through a park, something she wouldn't think twice about otherwise. She was literally trembling and feverishly commenting on the worst scenes of the film, so I thought (the cruel bastard that I am) that I'd have some fun and really scare her once we got home. I won't go into details, let's just say I had a furious gal on my hands for a couple of days afterwards. Big grin

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 11):
that is what "scary" movies are for

Absolutely!  bigthumbsup 
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

NIKV69

Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:08 am

2) Halloween-The mask was the one that did it for me, and yeah who can forget..the music.

Watched it this morning. My favorite horror flick. I love when Michael Myers is driving the station wagon past Jamie Lee and her two friends and you see him inside the car. Great movie.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

EWRCabincrew

Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:20 am

The original "When a Stranger Calls", "The Fog" (again, the original).
You can't cure stupid

GQfluffy

Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:03 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 16):
"The Fog" (again, the original

Oh man, I forgot all about that film.  bigthumbsup 

deltagator

Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:24 am

Gotta agree with The Excorcist. It was just so damn evil. And what about Carrie? Just evil.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Saw movies yet. I've only seen the first one but that was enough. It's not so much that I was scared but just amazed that a human can come up with such disturbing stuff and put it to film. Then I think about concentration camps and the like and I'm not so amazed it can still happen.

Oh, saw a trailer for Steven King's "The Mist" tonight. I remember reading that short story 20 years ago or so and thought it would make a decent movie. Hopefully it will be a little better than "Maximum Overdrive."
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

jetjack74

Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:20 am

Hrrrmmmm I would say mine would be
1. The Ring
2. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
3. The Amityville Horror(when I was young)
4. A Nightmare on Elm St
5. Psycho
Made from jets!

Flighty

Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:49 am

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 13):
I saw a movie in 1981 on TV the movie was about this father and his son that live in a mansion. The father see's this old hearse driving by at different periods (laying in the pool, and other things. and the guy driving the hearse has this evil grin. Every time the hearse driver goes by the guy starts shaking asa matter of fact the guy first saw the hearse driver at a family funeral as a kid.

Wow, that DOES sound creepy. It really sucks when you finally realize that semi-creepy guy you keep seeing really IS the devil.

It seems like the 1970s was the golden age of the horror film. America was loaded up on drugs and wanted to explore the outer edges of morality, philosophy, and the supernatural. They came up with some campy stuff and also a lot of freaky shit. There were some creepy murders in the 1970s by people who were freaking out over drugs, horror movies, etc, and to this day, people say don't take LSD and watch the Exorcist. Sure, it's just a movie, unless you actually hear the voices. Then youre f**ked.

AirTranTUS

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:07 am

Here's something relevant: http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/reallyscarymovieguide/

That said, I did not like The Hills Have Eyes. A bit creepy. That one scared me more than The Exorcist did. Aliens is more science fiction than horror I think.
I love ASO!

Kieron747

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:59 am

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 8):
Don't they get a tad bit freaky in that film?

They did. Its rumoured that they were actually having a sexual relationship during the filming of that film.

It's still damned scary though.

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 8):
The Shining. I love the movie, but it still creeps me out...

Agreed, I still find it a film with effect.

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 10):
Airport '79, The Concorde (it was just wrong)

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Agreed. Although as a kid, I loved the bit at the end when the tail collapsed in the fire.

Kieron

opso1

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:23 am

Five fingers scared the living daylights out of me... very graphic.

sudden

Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:35 am

A lot of these classic horror movies that were followed up with part 2, 3, and even 4th episode lost there scary touch somewhere along the line. I watched them more because I wanted to follow them up.

But Alien 1 - 4 is my flavor. Although I would not really call it scary movie.
"Dr. Giggle" and "The Dentist" are the kind of movies that I find scary in the sense that it can actually happen.
"Saw" I don't like cause it makes no sense at all to me, but it sure is bloddy and evil.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

4holer

Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:39 pm

I know some people consider it terrible, but the movie that has gotten to me more than any other was Signs.
The cornfield and "birthday video" scenes made my hair stand up and still make my heart pound when I see it.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

PA110

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:05 pm

1. Alien
2. Rosemary's Baby
3. The Exorcist
4. It Came from Outer Space (1953) - scared the crap out of me as a little kid. Now just another campy 50's B-movie horror flick.
5. The Omen
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

Bofredrik

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:09 pm

Carrie
Dead Calm
Jaws

I no longer watch that kind of films so i only remember 3.

JGPH1A

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:19 pm

There was one I saw about 3 girls stuck in an old house, and there's something living in the heating ducts - something like "The Thing" or "The Unnamed" or something - turns out it is the deformed kid of the people who own the house - scared the living bejaysus out of me !

Otherwise

Silence of the Lambs
Alien
Hound of the Baskervilles (the original, with Basil Rathbone - try watching it alone, when it's foggy out)
Stephen King's "It" - that clown ! I couldn't even sleep in the same room as the book when I read it, I had to put it outside ever evening when I went to sleep (I was younger then)l
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ALexeu

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:52 pm

'the others' is a nice horror (or better said - thriller), altough i've seen much better horrors, but i just can't remember now.

I like real horror thrillers, not those stupid horror films like Scream etc.

cheers

adopim88

Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:33 pm

Halloween-

I watched Halloween 5: The Revenge of Micheal Myers last night. Those movies don't scare me anymore.. Although I can tell that I've been playing too much Bioshock on the Xbox when a character comes up on a dead body and I think the character should "search" it for loot....  Yeah sure

A Nightmare On Elm Street

Those movies do creep me out. Especially that song.
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You

3, 4, Better Lock Your Door

5, 6, Grab A Crucifix

7, 8, Better Stay Up Late

9, 10, Never Sleep Again

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 10):
Airport '79, The Concorde

rotfl 

Quoting Sudden (Reply 24):
"Saw" I don't like cause it makes no sense at all to me, but it sure is bloddy and evil.

I liked the Saw movies. They were kind of hard to follow, but I still liked the thrill from them.

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 27):
Jaws

Jaws has been on scariest movie lists just because of the "realistic" nature of it.

I was in junior high when The Blair Witch Project came out on video. At the time, that movie scared the crap out of me. Maybe it was because you never really saw anything you just had a mental image in your head about it. Now I laugh at how silly it is, but at the time it was not laughable.

The Final Destination movies were a little eery to me. Not necessarily scary, just eery.
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Airdolomiti

Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:51 pm

-The Ring: watched it alone at home one night, in the middle of winter, and it was foggy outside. I was scared shitless every time the phone rang, and I couldn't quite look at the TV the same way for a couple of days afterwards  Silly

-The Shining
-The Silence of the Lambs

Also, when I was little, my top scaries movies were, without question, "Nightmare on Elm Street" and "It". Because of the latter, clowns still freak me out to this day  scared   Silly

"Halloween" and "Poltergeist" were pretty good too, whereas I never thought "The Exorcist" was really that scary.

Also, I had never heard of the movie "Don't Look Now" - I'll have to see it, it sounds pretty cool.

krje1980

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:01 pm

The Fly (Cronenberg, 1986).

I was foolish enough to watch this movie while I was still a young lad (around 10-11) years old, and it scared me more than anything I had seen in my whole life. Sure, there might be scarier movies out there, but there is something about the whole atmosphere of dread and sadness that just, to this day, totally makes me feel horrible while watching this film. The last 5 minutes are so gut-wrenching that words can't describe it. If you've seen it you know what I mean.

A special mention also goes to "Alien" - another movie I saw way before I should have. Although it may have a slower pace than many of today's horror films, the sense of isolation, dread and hopelessness is present in so many scenes that it gave me nightmares for weeks.

I will, however, admit that "The Exorcist" and "The Shining" probably are the _best_ horror films I've seen, but the fact that I saw these films as an adult made me able to watch them without feeling "scared". Now I'm so hung up on technical details that no horror films scare me any more. Unfortunately.

[Edited 2007-10-26 15:03:05]

GQfluffy

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:07 pm

Quoting Adopim88 (Reply 30):
The Blair Witch Project

I never "gots scared" from that film...just motion sick...  vomit 

Marcus

Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:18 am

There are some scenes in "Per cementery" that I found scary back when I saw it in the theater........also Evil dead scared me when I saw it as a rental like 20 years ago.
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

seb146

Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:27 am

I was stoned when I saw the preview for "Dead Alive" and it looked hilarious! I watched it when I was sober and wanted my $3 back....

I try not to watch scary movies but:

Scream1
I know what you did last summer 2
Something wicked this way comes
Silence of the lambs

There was a movie that starred Betty Davis about a girl named Karen that was crushed by a bell. That one freaked me out! There was also a movie called "Anna to the infinite power" that was good too.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

CupraIbiza

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:49 am

Trilogy of Terror - watched this when I was really little and had nightmares for a long time. The little doll running around with the knife. Saw it a few years back and it made me laugh. But back then. Really really scary
Everyday is a gift…… but why does it have to be a pair of socks?

foppishbum

Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:40 pm

(1) Exorcist: The Beginning Scary devil... Sad

(2) 1408 With John Cusack was pretty scary...the whole "mental" thing.

(3) The Exorcism of Emily Rose Definitely scared the crap outta me.

(4) Alien. I watched it when I was a kid and even now (I'm turning 22 very soon), I'm still very afraid of extra terrestrial life forms.  cry 

(5) Thir13en Ghosts. It gets scary when things jump out...

Other movies I think is scary...Freddy vs. Jason, Alien vs. Predator, etc.

I don't know why I do this but whenever I watch scary movies, I need to keep the light on when I sleep that night and am scared for the rest of the week. HAHA...it's like self-torture.  tongue 

Peace,
Wes
Taiwanese-American :D

NIKV69

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:44 pm

I love Halloween. I love the Jack o lantern next to the bed with the headstone. That's genius.

I loved Pet Cementary too. One of my top picks.

Amityville Horror good too. The eyes in the doll? Drove by the house few weeks ago. The whole stigma still makes it creepy when you see the house. Even though they changed the windows.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!