swiftski

Miami's Channing Crowder ... D'oh!

Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:35 am

Sky News:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1290248,00.html

I don't know which comment is more bizarre; not knowing we speak English in England, or saying black people can't come from London.

Quote:

Miami Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder has admitted not knowing people speak English in London.

The NFL player might want to check a map before he gets on board a plane for Sunday's prestige game against the New York Giants at Wembley Stadium.

Crowder, who comes from Atlanta in Georgia, may be praised on the field, but confessed geography was not his strong point.

He admitted he did not know until now where London was - or that Londoners spoke English.

"I couldn't find London on a map if they didn't have the names of the countries," he said.

"I swear to God. I don't know what nothing is. I know Italy looks like a boot. I learned that."

Crowder added: "I know (Washington Redskins linebacker) London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him.

"That's the closest thing I know to London. He's black, so I'm sure he's not from London. I'm sure that's a coincidental name."

The Miami Dolphins are play the New York Giants at Wembley this Sunday in the first NFL regular-season game to be played outside the United States.

jfk69

RE: Miami's Channing Crowder ... D'oh!

Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:44 pm

This guy should be shot. Better yet, whichever college he graduated from should have a scholarship pulled.

Pope

Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:47 pm

You guys have no idea what you're talking about. He's well known for making these sorts of statements to pull reporter's chains and once again they've taken the bait - and so have you.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

Gatorman96

Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:06 pm

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 1):
This guy should be shot. Better yet, whichever college he graduated from should have a scholarship pulled.

And that will do what??? I have followed his career while he was at UF and continue to in the pro's. He is known to joke and is actually quite smart. Don't take his comments seriously

Banco

Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:35 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 2):
You guys have no idea what you're talking about. He's well known for making these sorts of statements to pull reporter's chains and once again they've taken the bait - and so have you.

This is being talked about in the NFl thread too. Now, you may well be right, but if that's the case, then it's going to backfire, because no-one in the UK has ever heard of him and if he is joking, how are they supposed to know that? Now, you might say that you don't give a stuff what people in the UK think, but the NFL clearly beg to differ.

No-one will be offended, I hasten to point out, but as an advertisement for the US, it isn't going to be a great one.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Pope

Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:43 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 4):
This is being talked about in the NFl thread too. Now, you may well be right, but if that's the case, then it's going to backfire, because no-one in the UK has ever heard of him and if he is joking, how are they supposed to know that?

One would think that a reporter's job is to investigate the story before reporting it. If all they do is record what other people say, then maybe they should be called recorders and not reporters. It seems to me that it's a pretty sad statement on the media.

IFEMaster

Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:48 pm

Moron
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

jfk69

Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:51 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 5):
One would think that a reporter's job is to investigate the story before reporting it. If all they do is record what other people say, then maybe they should be called recorders and not reporters. It seems to me that it's a pretty sad statement on the media.

Guess what buddy, That is all the media, get the story first. If its right then good for us, if its wrong,,,,,,then who cares.

Banco

Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:52 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 5):

It's your media that have reported it. Ours has just picked up on it. And if your media aren't going to provide any context, it's asking a lot for the media of a country clueless about who he is and what he does to do it for them.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

767Lover

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:00 pm

He went to a decent high school in a fairly affluent part of metro Atlanta, so I'm certain that he got a good enough education to know basic geography,

Just the way that he interjected the London Fletcher bit into the conversation implies that the whole thing is a joke.

Pope

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:00 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 8):
It's your media that have reported it. Ours has just picked up on it. And if your media aren't going to provide any context, it's asking a lot for the media of a country clueless about who he is and what he does to do it for them.

I'm not blaming your media or my media. I'm just saying that it's a poor job of reporting. If one reprints poor reporting in their newspaper they're as big as a fool as the person who originally wrote it. All the media talks about freedom but you never hear any mention of accountability. That's why big media is dying and people are getting their news from alternative sources.

767Lover

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:24 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 10):
I'm not blaming your media or my media. I'm just saying that it's a poor job of reporting.

It reminds me of an instance a few years ago when some Japanese newspaper reported something from The Onion as actual real news.

HOMER71

Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:28 am

"Speak English! I thought this country spawned the f*cking language, but nobody seems to speak it."

Avi (Dennis Farina) in Snatch
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."