viaggiare

CQ... Any Ham Radio Operators In Here?

Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:32 am

A similar question was posed in here over 19 months ago -albeit with somewhat of a different purpose- so in these ever-changing times it doesn't really hurt to ask again. Just wondering who amongst us are licensed Amateur Radio operators, and what bands/modes are you active in?

For me, it all started with a Kenwood R500 shortwave receiver, and -later on- an Icom IC2AT 2m handheld transceiver. Been off the hf bands for several years now, and I'm limited to 2m/70cm these days. My call sign is TI2SEG and I currently hold a class B license (with privileges slightly above those of the current General Class in the USA).

Sure miss those late-night and early-morning weekend QSOs on 20m with stations in Australia and New Zealand, back in the late eighties. Even managed to pull off some pretty cool DXing with folks in such exotic places as Tonga and the Pitcairn Islands sometimes. That was with a Yaesu FT101ZD and a homebrew dipole antenna cut for 14.200MHz up some 18 feet agl.

And it got pretty intense some weekend afternoons as well, with swarms of stateside hams in need of a tango india qsl for some wac award. I kid you not, the whole thing sounded more like the last minutes before the closing bell at a stock exchange.

I particularly enjoyed the various contests, mainly those organized by Latin American clubs, which were pretty cool back then. Always wanted to hop on board one of those rare TI9 (Cocos Island) expeditions, but that one never materialized.

Needless to say, this was way before the days of instant messaging over the Internet. Sometimes I wonder what impact all these technological advances have had on the hobby in the rest of the world.

73s,
Alessandro
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

seb146

RE: CQ... Any Ham Radio Operators In Here?

Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:06 pm

I keep forgetting to check my licence. It may still be valid, but I don't have a radio. I never did anything besides 2 meters, but you are right. In this day of cell phones, internet, and IM, I think the hobby has taken a hit. BTW, I was Tech Plus (KB7DWE), but I may need to start all over again. I am HORRIBLE at code!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

MD11Engineer

Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:30 pm

I'm working on my licence while trying to restore some British WW2 No.19 sets to working condition. When working, they will operate in the 80 and 40 meter band, CW, modulated CW and AM.
AFAIK, ME AV FAN, Iakobos and ManuCH have licences.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Klaus

Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:51 pm

I've still got my license, but I've not been active for several years by now... digital matters and the internet sort of took over.

ManuCH
Crew

Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:42 pm

Same as Klaus here: I've still got my license, but I haven't transmitted in years, though I occasionally attend events where there are other people going at it (transmitting, that is  Smile). My call signs are HB9OCH and N1UAQ (which was a Tech Plus when I took the exam, now it has been converted to something else I don't remember).
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

halls120

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:57 am

I had a ham license years ago when still in high school. It was prompted by an earlier interest in shortwave radio - an interest that prompted me to build my own receiver from a kit - Knight Star Roamer.

I really enjoyed ham radio, but when I went off to the Coast Guard Academy, my interest waned, and I let my license lapse.

Lately, i've rekindled my interest somewhat. Just bought a used shortwave receiver, and I might someday get my ticket back.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography