Osprey88
Topic Author

Just Felt An Earthquake In California

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:21 am

Was just sitting here at my desk when all of a sudden things started to shake, not a very bad earthquake (compared with some other ones I've felt) but sure was an interesting to watch my monitor dance for about 10 seconds or so.

According to USGS this was a 5.6 with an epicenter near Milpitas, and since I live near Monterey, CA I didn't feel the full brunt of it. Their have also been a couple 1s for aftershocks.

Any California A-netters feel anything?

USGS:
http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/nc40204628.html
http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/122-37.html
"Reading departure signs in some big airports reminds me of the places I've been"

KSYR

RE: Just Felt An Earthquake In California

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:31 am

Interesting experience, hopefully Milpitas is doing OK. I've never been awake for an earthquake, but have always wanted to experience a mild, undamaging one just to see what it feels like. How severe is 5.6 when compared to other earthquakes you have experienced?

Boston92

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:35 am

Nothing was felt in Santa Barbara County. We are located in a location that we don't get too many compared with down south or up near you.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

Osprey88
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:41 am

Quoting KSYR (Reply 1):
How severe is 5.6 when compared to other earthquakes you have experienced?

It probably wasn't a 5.6 when it hit me, I'd say more like a 2.5-3, but thats still enough for my laptop's screen to wobble back and forth and my bed and chairs to shake a little bit, so its definatly noticeable. Seems about the same amount of shaking that I felt a year or so back when a ~6 hit around Cambria.

This is still nowhere near the shaking I vaugly remember during the Loma Prieta quake, which was much closer to me.
"Reading departure signs in some big airports reminds me of the places I've been"

jacobin777

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:44 am

Quoting KSYR (Reply 1):
hopefully Milpitas is doing OK.

I live in Milpitas....the house shook quite a bit but fortunately nothing happened.....I was quite relaxed (been in earthquakes before) my main concern was for my cat but he seems ok... Smile
"Up the Irons!"

Boston92

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:47 am

Quoting Osprey88 (Reply 4):
~6 hit around Cambria.

We felt that one though...
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

Osprey88
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:53 am

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 6):
We felt that one though...

Wasn't much damage from that one if I recall correctly.

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 5):
I live in Milpitas....the house shook quite a bit but fortunately nothing happened.....I was quite relaxed (been in earthquakes before) my main concern was for my cat but he seems ok...

Good to know you are okay, seeing as how it struck pretty close to where you live. Thankfully, all the aftershocks thus far have been small.

Boston92

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:57 am

Quoting Osprey88 (Reply 7):
Wasn't much damage from that one if I recall correctly.

Actually I believe Paso Robles suffered moderate damage from that one. Old buildings collapsed which resulted in two deaths.

jacobin777

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:58 am

Quoting Osprey88 (Reply 7):
Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 5):
I live in Milpitas....the house shook quite a bit but fortunately nothing happened.....I was quite relaxed (been in earthquakes before) my main concern was for my cat but he seems ok...

Good to know you are okay, seeing as how it struck pretty close to where you live. Thankfully, all the aftershocks thus far have been small.

...yah, thanks mate... Smile

It felt like a "rolling" earthquake..."back and forth" motion...I was sure some things would fall and break but the only thing which fell was my $5 dollar shaving mirror in the bathroom  biggrin 
"Up the Irons!"

F9Widebody

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:14 am

In Berkeley I felt nothing, but then again, my friends in a different building said it was rocking pretty good.

Epicenter:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...44259,2.224731&z=9&iwloc=addr&om=1
YES URLS in signature!!!

viaggiare

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:55 am

Quoting Osprey88 (Reply 4):
Quoting KSYR (Reply 1):
How severe is 5.6 when compared to other earthquakes you have experienced?
It probably wasn't a 5.6 when it hit me, I'd say more like a 2.5-3

A seismic event's magnitude (the amount of energy that was released) is not to be confused with its intensity (how badly you were shaken). That's why two different scales (Richter and Mercalli, respectively) are used.

Magnitude means nothing unless you also consider depth (the closer to the surface the more intense) and distance (the closer to the epicenter the more intense) from your particular location.
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

foppishbum

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:58 am

I didn't feel anything. But then I'm about 4 hours northeast of epicenter in Davis...or maybe I'm just dense. =T
Taiwanese-American :D

ME AVN FAN

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting KSYR (Reply 1):
always wanted to experience a mild, undamaging one

had a very mild one at home at night a year ago. Not sensational, but you wake up and feel irritated by hearing your furniture and seeing the lamp slightly swinging. I however only the following morning realized that it WAS an earthquake.

SmithAir747

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:10 am

Since I moved out to San Francisco, this is my first earthquake I've ever experienced!

I was on the fourth floor of the First Baptist Church of San Francisco, which is at Waller & Octavia Streets. I felt the floor "rolling" underneath me.

I guess this was my initiation into San Francisco!

My home state, Indiana, seldom has earthquakes (Fort Wayne has had at least one tiny earthquake back in the 1980s, but I only read about it in the paper).

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

copaair737

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:38 am

We felt it all the way out here in Modesto. Weird to see a quake here.

the trees and buildings shook, everyone went nuts.

My friend, a life long resident of the area, said the last time he felt this was 15 years ago.

Exciting!
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

AASuper83

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:52 am

I felt the rolling and the shaking, I thought it was something out side. So then everything in my room was shaking, so i wandered out into the hallway, and teh lights were swaying back and forth. At first, I didn't think it was a quake, but I figured out soon after.

Crazy feeling.

JeffSFO

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:00 am

I was driving here in San Francisco and didn't feel a thing. Oh well.

It's odd how earthquakes can occur sometimes but you don't feel them. Back in '96 while working in the BofA building in downtown SF, I was in a conference room with some friends and we just finished our lunch break so we walked out into the office to go back to work, and people who were only 10-15 feet away from the conference room at their desks asked us if we felt the earthquake that had just occurred moments before. We hadn't, even though we were just separated by a few feet.

Superfly

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:06 am

I felt it pretty hard here in San Francsico.
I was on the phone during the earthquake.

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 13):
Since I moved out to San Francisco, this is my first earthquake I've ever experienced!

Welcome to the Pacific Coast. You are now in the Ring Of Fire!  devil 
Bring back the Concorde

ctbarnes

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:20 pm

I also felt it in Berkeley. Things seemed to rattle a lot for about 20 seconds or so, but it really didn't seem that bad. I was surprised to discover it registered as a 5.6. I'm also relieved there were no injuries or significant damage.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

JeffSFO

Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:15 pm

Am down in San Jose right now and just felt an aftershock, 3.7 magnitude. The earthquake last night knocked down items at the office where I work. The mail station in the mail room lost all the sorted letters and a bunch of things fell from shelves, but there was no serious damage.

Superfly

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:59 am

Luckily it wasn't as bad as these two earthquakes.

Bring back the Concorde

RJdxer

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:23 am

Damn she was good.
Signed
Superfly  bigthumbsup 
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!