Matt D
Topic Author

PC Gurus: Need Some Help

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:13 am

Having a few problems here, nothing major. But they are annoying just the same. Not sure if they are connected or not. So maybe some of you might be able to tell.

1. PICTURES.

Any and all picture/jpeg files on my desktop will not open. I double click on the icon and the entire screeen will flash white for a fraction of a second. But the file will not open. HOWEVER, pictures located inside a folder (i.e. on another drive) WILL open. Also while the pictures on the deckstop will not open, I can successfully view them as attachments to an e-mail or message board. Likewise, I can view them when opened through my picture program (ArcSoft PhotoImpression 5).

2. DOWNLOADING PICTURES OFF MY CAMERA.

This one is a beauty. I am running on my PC DImage Viewer. It's the software that came with the camera and is apparently an Apple program. Up until a few days ago, I had no problems running it. I connected the USB cord to the camera and the port, double clicked the icon, and off it went. Now when I double click it, it opens up, attempts to load for about 3 seconds then I get the "It needs to shut down. An unexpected error occurred" screen. So I tried right clicking the icon, following the 'Run As' prompt using the Administrator. Then, I can get the pictures to load off the camera. They load as thumbnails. As soon as I click on one of them to view the picture full size, I get a blank gray screen displaying only a dialog error box saying "cannot create image".

For now, as a workaround, I still connect the USB cord, but instead open ArcSoft and retrieve the pictures from "external drive". It allows me to view, process, and move the pictures. But it's a lot more tedious to do it that way.

I even opened up my QuickTime program which came with the DImage viewer, downloaded all current free updates for Windows (am running XP w/ Norton Antivirus/Spyware/Firewall).

Done the usual cold and hard reboots, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

------------------------------------------------------------------
MD-Exactly what does 'an error occured' mean anyway and why would it happen arbitraily?

Goldenshield

RE: PC Gurus: Need Some Help

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:23 am

Sounds like some form of malware. Have you ran a virus scan and Adware/Spyware scan?
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

bagpiper

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:21 am

if you don't have any anti-virus, go to avast.com and download their free home edition, and do a scan.

Also, you might check out CCleaner... google it. Its free, and cleans out extra registry crap, and all unused temporary files. Took 2.3 gigs off my computer I didn't even know was there.

HAWK21M

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:03 pm

Use the Famous Three:-
1.AVG Antivirus
2.Spybot Search & destroy
3.Adaware 6.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

virgin744

Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:41 am

Matt,
Since you say you have A/V and anti-spyware installed I will assume that you've already run those to no avail therefore the steps I would take are to first uninstall then reinstall your picture viewing software, then assuming that this doesn't fix the problem attempt to use System restore from the Start Menu-> Help & Support (would be a good idea to backup any important stuff in case this mysteriously blows away your profile as I've seen it do on a couple of p.c's that haven't ever run it before, but as long as you are confident & confirmed that you have System Restore enabled under System Properties, then restore back to a date that you know your p.c worked fine.

If this fails, then as I tell my users at work....................Reimage!
 Big grin

hope this helps
virgin744