flashflyguy

Rape Case, A French Youth Takes On Dubai

Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:10 am

The rape of a 15-year-old French boy in a remote patch of desert outside of Dubai has raised questions about how the country's legal system treats foreigners.

Story here

Amazingly (but not surprisingly I suppose), the victim also faces a jail sentence. The treatment he received all round stinks.

If this had happened to a kid of mine, they'd definitely want to be wishing the cops got to them, before I did.

Please ensure you fully read the linked story before you add your  twocents ...

LAXspotter

RE: Rape Case, A French Youth Takes On Dubai

Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:22 am

IMO the law needs to be revised. They dont believe that that males could be raped. This story taints the image of a progressive and modern UAE.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

Alessandro

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:48 pm

Lot of things are cooking in UAE, the strike amongst asian laborer, remember this youngster comes from a rich and democratic country, how about if he came from a poor and undemocratic country?
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

luv2fly

Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:14 pm

Well the landscape has come into the 21st century, the mentality and mind set is still very much in the past. Maybe they talked with Iran which has no homosexuals.
You can cut the irony with a knife

mham001

Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:39 pm

There is a reason Micheal Jackson now calls the place home. Much goes on under the radar.

Pyrex

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:04 pm

It is well known that the tribal Pashtun people in parts of Pakistan have, shall we say, a preference for little boys - is the UAE the same?
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Toulouse

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:31 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 1):
This story taints the image of a progressive and modern UAE.

Very well said. What an awful story.
Long live Aer Lingus!

BigTom

Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:20 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 5):
There is a reason Micheal Jackson now calls the place home. Much goes on under the radar.

That is Bahrain, and he is there on the invitation of the ruling family and not because of anything else.

Cheers

ME AVN FAN

Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:46 am

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 3):
if he came from a poor and undemocratic country?

He then would have been thrown into jail, and the attackers would have been realeased with a financial penalty for misbehaviour.
-

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 6):
a preference for little boys

15-years olds are NOT what I would call "little boys". The problem possibly is that homosexuals in "traditional" areas are oppressed, and then may develop intense "desires" somehow exploding at a given time. Such does not excuse criminal actions, but has to be taken note of.
-

scbriml

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:24 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 4):
Maybe they talked with Iran which has no homosexuals.

Homosexuality is illegal in the UAE, but then the UAE is far from being alone in that respect. It's not great, but that's the way it is.

While the initial response of the authorities was unforgivable, at least the case now seems to be going through the legal process.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

flashflyguy

Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:28 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 9):
Quoting Pyrex (Reply 6):
a preference for little boys

15-years olds are NOT what I would call "little boys".

I think what Pyrex meant to say is probably 'minors' or 'young boys'. My 15 yo nephew couldn't be called 'little' as he towers over all of us at 6'2"...and we aren't short arses either.

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 10):
While the initial response of the authorities was unforgivable, at least the case now seems to be going through the legal process.

True, but then you have all the ones that have happened in the past, where the victims have not been able to speak up. Whether through fear, or if they have, they've ended up jailed....

It needs people like this boy and his family to speak up.

EDIT:
In addition I should add, I'm sure it's not happening to just young boys in Dubai, it can happen to any man. Just that this time it was a young boy and he's letting the world know.

[Edited 2007-11-04 04:35:32]

jacobin777

Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:38 pm

Well the landscape has come into the 21st century, the mentality and mind set is still very much in the past. Maybe they talked with Iran which has no homosexuals.

...and the landscape of 21st century A.net is still mired in stupidity... sarcastic ...

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 6):
It is well known that the tribal Pashtun people in parts of Pakistan have, shall we say, a preference for little boys - is the UAE the same?

Well known? ...Got proof?
"Up the Irons!"

scbriml

Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:47 pm

Quoting FlashFlyGuy (Reply 11):
True, but then you have all the ones that have happened in the past, where the victims have not been able to speak up. Whether through fear, or if they have, they've ended up jailed....

I believe countries like the UAE and Qatar are slowly moving forward in respect to matters like this.

I'm not defending them on issues like these, but equally "westerners" have to accept that our standards do not always apply. When in Rome, and all that.

I have recently completed a 9-month project in Dubai. I loved the place, and it has much to commend it. There are many frustrations however. One has to learn to adapt and accept the cultural differences.

cakentennis

Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:51 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 1):

That made me laugh. It can't be tainted, if it doesn't exist.

LAXspotter

Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:11 pm

Quoting Cakentennis (Reply 13):

how about the perception of a progressive and modern UAE  Big grin

NorthstarBoy

Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:39 pm

What a travesty. I wish the boy all the best, and if that were my kid, if he tests positive for aids or not, i'd sue the government of Dubai for everything they're worth, not to mention the perpetrators. I hope the perps do get the death penalty, they've effectively ruined that kid's life, not to mention potentially sentenced him to die of aids. and its inexplicable for the physician to think that he engaged in consentual sex, when he was tricked into the car to begin with, betrayed by a classmate, and gang raped at knife point, there's something wrong with that doctor's head.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

LASoctoberB6

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:20 pm

I didn't know UAE didn't accept homosexuals. And I've always wanted to go there. Guess I can't now.. The mindset of some people... The story said the Alex fled to Switzerland in fear of being charged. Can't they still go and get him and press charges? I hope everything turns out okay for Alex.
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

scbriml

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:06 pm

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 16):
I didn't know UAE didn't accept homosexuals. And I've always wanted to go there. Guess I can't now..

Well, as long as you don't walk around with a neon sign that says "I'm gay!", I'm not sure how anyone would know. They don't actually ask you when you arrive at immigration. If you did go, I'm fairly certain that you wouldn't be the only gay in the UAE. wink 

Despite this story, the UAE is very tolerant. As long as you don't ram your gayness down people's throats (IYSWIM), I'm fairly sure you'd be fine. yes 

AR385

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:13 am

This happens in many places, no only in the UAE. I can think of some countries in LatinAmerica where a similar occurence is plausible.

luv2fly

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 11):

...and the landscape of 21st century A.net is still mired in stupidity...

Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad just told an audience at Columbia University that "Iran does not have homosexuals."

Happy now!

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hATGOzv6YSmgeMY1zdYbdpyrG2cw
You can cut the irony with a knife

Emirates773ER

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:53 am

What makes me laugh is how someone can pass judgements on stuff which he really has no idea about?
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

Emirates773ER

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:56 am

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 17):
Despite this story, the UAE is very tolerant. As long as you don't ram your gayness down people's throats (IYSWIM), I'm fairly sure you'd be fine.

Dubai has a pretty big gay scene only comparable to Beirut in the arab world, its a pity many people don't know about it yet pass judgements.

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 17):
They don't actually ask you when you arrive at immigration

Very true, and they also don't like to smile due to some reason.  Wink

ME AVN FAN

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:58 am

Quoting FlashFlyGuy (Reply 10):
meant to say is probably 'minors' or 'young boys'.

no doubt about this !  Yeah sure  rotfl 
-

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 11):
--
Well known? ...Got proof?

-
he possibly meant to say that "it is known that there are people in tribal Pashtun areas with a preference for young boys"
!  Big grin
-

-

-
laughing is allowed, however, there SA) and Eagle Air/Arnaflug (Iceland)">IS a progressive and modern UAE, technology and business-wise, but it is the SAME country as the fairly traditional country which fairly late started into modernity
-

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 16):
The story said the Alex fled to Switzerland in fear of being charged. Can't they still go and get him

NO, they canNOT as homosexual activities are NOT a crime in Switzerland and nobody will get extradited on such charges. And "go and get him" ?  scratchchin   scratchchin   scratchchin 
-

Quoting Emirates773er (Reply 20):
he really has no idea about?

ideas yes, but based on prejudice and limited pieces of information
-

Quoting Emirates773ER (Reply 21):
Dubai has a pretty big gay scene only comparable to Beirut in the arab world, its a pity many people don't know about it yet pass judgements.

-
I suppose that many locals are not exactly happy about the size of that "scene". Which may explain parts of the problem highlighted above.

LASoctoberB6

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:06 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 22):
And "go and get him"

By "Go and get him", I meant the UAE authorities would go and get the boy to be charged.
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

ME AVN FAN

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:46 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 23):
And "go and get him"

By "Go and get him", I meant the UAE authorities would go and get the boy to be charged.

Yes yes, but HOW do you think they could GO and GET the boy ? when he is in Switzerland.  confused   confused   confused   confused   confused   confused 

Flygut

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:57 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 8):
15-years olds are NOT what I would call "little boys". The problem possibly is that homosexuals in "traditional" areas are oppressed, and then may develop intense "desires" somehow exploding at a given time. Such does not excuse criminal actions, but has to be taken note of.

Sick. 15-year-olds ARE "boys" to much of the world, and no urge to take forcible advantage of a 15-year-old (or anyone else), no matter what the local culture or "intense desires" of the local populace, should just be "taken note of". Justification / rationalization of the circumstances of this particular case does nothing to enhance the reputation of the modern Emirates or the people that live there.

Once an apologist, always an apologist, eh?

[Edited 2007-11-04 23:23:59]
Real men rotate from the taxiway

tsaord

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:06 am

This is just sad. Sad that this had happened to him. One of the men tested HIV positive, they identified them from sperm from inside him??? OMG. His whole world just turned upside down in a matter of moments and will have to live with this, and possibly HIV for the rest of his life. God bless him. I hope UAE does the right thing. I understand it's a different culture but at least the entire WORLD should be universal on certain issues of crime that happen in every country!
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

ME AVN FAN

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:32 am

Quoting Flygut (Reply 25):
Sick. 15-year-olds ARE "boys" to much of the world

15years olds of course are BOYS, also to me. I did not imagine that somebody would take that remark so deadly serious
-

no urge to take forcible advantage of a 15-year-old (or anyone else), no matter what the local culture or "intense desires" of the local populace

-
A) there cannot be any excuse for "taking advantage" of a 15-year old, absolutely NONE
B) there are NO "intense desires" of the local populace
-

Justification / rationalization of the circumstances of this particular case does nothing to enhance the reputation of the modern Emirates or the people that live there.

I do NOT believe that what happened to that boy is to be justified, absolutely NOT !!!
-

apologist, always an apologist

I did and do N O T apologize for either what happened from the side of the criminals, and criminals is what they ARE, and neither for the negative ways of the UAE judiciary in that case. I quite to the contrary AM absolutely against both things. So that you could STOP such idiotic allegations, as idiotic they ARE !!!!!  Angry  Angry  Angry

ME AVN FAN

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:36 am

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 26):
I hope UAE does the right thing

In this I am rather pessimistic. I think it was good that the boy was evacuated out of the UAE. I like the UAE in many ways, but here, the negative side surfaced in a rather ugly way.

Aeri28

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:47 am

The age of sexual consent in many countries average around 15 years old. Seems to be 15 in France, quite a few places it's 14. Even in the US, there are many states where it is 16, and even Hawaii , Iniana, Missouri and others at one time it was 14 years old for a boy.

source: http://www.avert.org/aofconsent.htm

[Edited 2007-11-04 23:48:22]

ME AVN FAN

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:09 am

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 29):
age of sexual consent in many countries

but the matter above was NOT about "consent" as the boy did NOT agree with being raped. While it of course is only too obvious that this doctor mentioned above wanted to portray him as a "service boy".

LAXspotter

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:12 am

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 29):
The age of sexual consent in many countries average around 15 years old. Seems to be 15 in France, quite a few places it's 14. Even in the US, there are many states where it is 16, and even Hawaii , Iniana, Missouri and others at one time it was 14 years old for a boy.

and  Confused

ME AVN FAN

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:22 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 31):

and Confused

and his idea apparently is that the boy GAVE his consent to being raped by the three persons, and THIS is what the lawyers of the three accused of course will say. And as the judges most likely will follow this "argument" to have the boy evacuated was the perfectly right thing to do.

cakentennis

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:37 am

Quoting Emirates773er (Reply 20):
What makes me laugh is how someone can pass judgements on stuff which he really has no idea about?

Touching.

but it is the SAME country as the fairly traditional country which fairly late started into modernity

That's what I was talking about. They're modern as far as technology and infrastructure are concerned. But they're ridiculously backward in their views.

Big gay scene? I'm sorry if my posts offend you, but until I can shout from a roof top that I'm gay and not get thrown in prison for the rest of eternity, this so called 'gay scene' you talk about is nothing but a lie to me. Why should I settle for anything less than any other straight person living in the UAE ? I refuse to believe that there is a 'life' in a state where the government considers my sexuality as non-existent and my life 'useless'.

I have been to the UAE and I think the country has made a lot of progress technologically and infrastructure wise. But the social and cultural mindset are anything but 'modern', as you put it. I have to admit, though. For being a Muslim country, they have shown flexibility in allowing other religions to establish their respective houses of worship to be built in their land. But then again, I am no fan of organized religion.

Every minute a gay person lives in the Emirates, he lives in fear. Can you say the same for a straight Muslim Arab? Until this parallel has been achieved, or at the very least, laws protecting gay rights are made, I refuse to consider the UAE as an example of the modern world.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:06 am

Quoting Cakentennis (Reply 33):
They're modern as far as technology and infrastructure are concerned. But they're ridiculously backward in their views.

That regrettably is the case. The Arabian Gulf area since the 1960ies made unbelievable progress in regard to infrastructure and technology, but not so much in regard to views. The cities may look far modern than those in the Mediterranean, but the local society is far behind.
-

can shout from a roof top that I'm gay

If you do so in Switzerland, you will have two policemen visiting you, NOT because you are guy but due to your "break of peace and offence against public order"  Big grin  Silly
-

cakentennis

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:34 am

ideas yes, but based on prejudice and limited pieces of information
-

Prejudice ? yes, a little. However, limited information? I disagree, I could argue that your repartee was prompted by the American flag next to my username. Prejudice?  Wink

ME AVN FAN

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:54 am

Quoting Cakentennis (Reply 35):
prompted by the American flag next to my username. Prejudice?

no, but, well, possibly a little  Wink had you had an Omani flag next to your username, it would have been different  Big grin

scbriml

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:36 am

But they're ridiculously backward in their views.

They have different views and values to others, that doesn't make them "ridiculously backward". It just makes them different.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:41 am

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 37):
different views and values to others, that doesn't make them "ridiculously backward".

-
"different" may be, but I would call it "very conservative and traditional", even if that to some people may be "apologist-minded", some people who now believe that the entire UAE populace is out to abuse boys in the evening.

scbriml

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:01 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 38):
"different" may be, but I would call it "very conservative and traditional", even if that to some people may be "apologist-minded",

Yes, it is conservative and traditional. I respect that and their right to be thus. What frustrates me is people who can't accept that and have the short-sighted, ill-informed view that this makes the UAE "ridiculously backward". In some ways places like the UAE and Qatar lead many countries that like to consider themselves the "civilised World". Free education (in the case of Qatar, to any university in the World) and free health care are just two simple examples.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 38):
some people who now believe that the entire UAE populace is out to abuse boys in the evening

People who believe that probably also believe the entire UAE populace rides camels and live in tents. If there's a degree of being "ridiculously backward", it is exhibited by those that hold such views.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:35 am

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 39):
the entire UAE populace rides camels

sure, and THIS here is the standard taxi to the hotel :
-
http://camelphotos.com/GraphicsP7/camel_for_2.jpg
-

and here Dubai International Airport with the latest in technology :
-

wave   wave 

[Edited 2007-11-05 03:46:07]

Leezyjet

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:21 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 8):
The problem possibly is that homosexuals in "traditional" areas are oppressed, and then may develop intense "desires" somehow exploding at a given time. Such does not excuse criminal actions, but has to be taken note of.

checkmark 

Think you hit the nail on the head there. It isn't just with homosexuality, also with gambling and drinking and other things that a good Muslim isn't supposed to do. The thing is though, that they do do these things, many of the wealthiest ones travel overseas to take part in whatever it is that floats their boat - ever wondered why the Royal families have so many private jets and are often in London, Nice etc.

I know most religions are hypocritical in one way or another but the wealthy muslims of the arab world seem to be the most hypocritical as they can afford to go off and do what they like in countries where things are legal and they are unknown and people back home that look upto them won't ever find out about it, whilst the poor cannot do this and have their urges surpressed by the society and then things happen like what happened to that poor boy !!.

That boy is one tough chap, not only to have to deal with what he has, but also to go public with it too - not the easiest thing to have to live with being a hetrosexual male, even more so having the whole world knowing about it !!.

frown 
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

Emirates773ER

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:04 pm

Big gay scene? I'm sorry if my posts offend you, but until I can shout from a roof top that I'm gay and not get thrown in prison for the rest of eternity, this so called 'gay scene' you talk about is nothing but a lie to me. Why should I settle for anything less than any other straight person living in the UAE ? I refuse to believe that there is a 'life' in a state where the government considers my sexuality as non-existent and my life 'useless'.

I have been to the UAE and I think the country has made a lot of progress technologically and infrastructure wise. But the social and cultural mindset are anything but 'modern', as you put it. I have to admit, though. For being a Muslim country, they have shown flexibility in allowing other religions to establish their respective houses of worship to be built in their land. But then again, I am no fan of organized religion.

Every minute a gay person lives in the Emirates, he lives in fear. Can you say the same for a straight Muslim Arab? Until this parallel has been achieved, or at the very least, laws protecting gay rights are made, I refuse to consider the UAE as an example of the modern world.

And why should you be shouting about your sexuality from the roof tops in the first place? Every state has a right to follow its culture, tradition and religion within its own right. You can't just walk into a country and ask them to start changing their values because "you" are different, if you are gay then you should probably keep your sexuality to yourself and not push it onto other peoples face. In all truthfulness the locals in dubai don't care whether you are straight, bisexual or gay unless you keep your personal inclining's within your bedroom limits, to flaunt it in the name of "freedom" would be as ridiculous as wearing a "I am a polygamist" shirt in the US.

As for gays living in fear, I have a number of friends in dubai who are bisexual and gay but they seem to be enjoying themselves out there. Not to mention that they do not want to shout out their sexuality from roof tops unlike some other people.

cakentennis

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:24 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 39):
If there's a degree of being "ridiculously backward", it is exhibited by those that hold such views.

The authorities specifically advised the French boy against pressing charges.
Of the three that raped him, one was H.I.V +.
He fled to Switzerland to avoid being convicted for acts of homosexuality.

Article 354 of the Federal Penal Code states, "Whoever commits rape on a female or sodomy with a male shall be punished by death." Source

He could have possibly faced death for being raped.

In this case, yes, I think they are being 'ridiculously backward'.

On a side note, I can't comprehend why anyone would pay to ski in an indoor artificial ski lodge in the middle of a desert. People who consider such outrageous waste of money to be a sign of progress bewilder me even more.

cakentennis

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:29 pm

Quoting Emirates773ER (Reply 42):

I was figuratively speaking. Contrary to what you imagine, I'm not going to march in with the rainbow flag yelling "I'm fabulous."

ME AVN FAN

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:37 pm

Quoting Leezyjet (Reply 41):
gambling and drinking

at least drinking is allowed in all UAE emirates except Sharjah, on Bahrain, in Qatar and in Oman.
-

Every state has a right to follow its culture, tradition and religion within its own right.

and if every state follows its culture, tradition and religion in a strict way, the homosexuals in Jewish, Christian and in Muslim countries have NO rights, none at all, ABSOLUTELY none at all. Modern tolerance means to find a balance, which means NOT to give up culture, tradition and religion, but not to be iron-minded about it and to allow "dissidents" to live in freedom. That most countries, just as I mentioned above, would react negatively to gays shouting from wherever about their personal leanings, is rather self-evident.
-

"you" are different, if you are gay then you should probably keep your sexuality to yourself and not push it onto other peoples face. In all truthfulness the locals in dubai don't care whether you are straight, bisexual or gay unless you keep your personal inclining's within your bedroom limits

-
but to stress it again, the abused boy was/is neither gay nor a "service-boy", it was the locals who were/are homosexual.
-

scbriml

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:29 pm

Quoting Cakentennis (Reply 43):
The authorities specifically advised the French boy against pressing charges.
Of the three that raped him, one was H.I.V +.
He fled to Switzerland to avoid being convicted for acts of homosexuality.

As the victim himself says "They tried to smother this story." The authorities tried to discourage him and raised the possibility of charging him as threats to try avoid this becoming public.

As I said in my first two posts:

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 12):
I'm not defending them on issues like these, but equally "westerners" have to accept that our standards do not always apply. When in Rome, and all that.

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 9):

If you don't like how things are in the UAE you can simply choose not to visit.

On a side note, I can't comprehend why anyone would pay to ski in an indoor artificial ski lodge in the middle of a desert.

In that case your comprehension skills might need some honing. Obviously, an outdoor ski slope (with "real" snow) would be a bit silly. wink 

People who consider such outrageous waste of money to be a sign of progress bewilder me even more.

Huh? Ski Dubai is owned and run by the company that built Mall of the Emirates. It's a business. How is it a waste of money?

max999

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:19 pm

The Dubai government and its related entities always markets itself as being tolerant, open, and progressive. And it's true to some degree...you go to Dubai and you see Arabs, Caucasians, Chinese, Africans, South Americans, and etc. That sort of melting pot is why the place is so attractive to businesses and tourists.

However, this tolerance does not extend to gay people. This is evidenced by the fact that homosexuality is itself illegal (consensual sodomy is punishable by death in the UAE and 10 years in prison in Dubai). In essence, what the laws are saying is that BEING gay is illegal.

Now what's so shocking about all of this? For the typical Westerner, when they think of the general concepts of openness and tolerance, it includes gay rights. From what I've observed, this might not include gay marriage, but at the very least that gay people are not prosecuted for who they are. And for the Westerner who eats up all the marketing about Dubai's openness, it comes as a shock that gay people can be arrested arbitrarily because of that law.

Dubai's tolerance only goes so far and when it comes to gay people, Dubai's laws are typical of many other Arab states.

And why should you be shouting about your sexuality from the roof tops in the first place? Every state has a right to follow its culture, tradition and religion within its own right. You can't just walk into a country and ask them to start changing their values because "you" are different, if you are gay then you should probably keep your sexuality to yourself and not push it onto other peoples face. In all truthfulness the locals in dubai don't care whether you are straight, bisexual or gay unless you keep your personal inclining's within your bedroom limits, to flaunt it in the name of "freedom" would be as ridiculous as wearing a "I am a polygamist" shirt in the US.

It's not about how you look or how you act...it's about who you are. This is why the anti-gay law in Dubai is so repugnant because being gay is in itself illegal. Even if you don't shout it from the rooftops...having sex with another man in the privacy of your home makes you a criminal.

Imagine if there's a law in the US that says being an Arab person is illegal. If I used your line of thinking...then all Arabs need to stop going to Mosques and stop praying to Allah (even inside their homes). If Arabs would stop speaking Arabic from the top of their lungs...the light skinned ones can change their names to Smith and blend in with the rest of America. The dark skinned Arabs, tough luck for them because they'll be spotted and get arrested.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

windshear

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:23 pm

I am sorry mate, but you are in the deep end on this... Beirut?!
I think it is a joke to read stuff like this, there are absolutely no gay rights in any of the places, in fact both countries persecute homosexuals.

When you write what you do, you are bending the truth, which in my book is pretty darn close to lying...

And if you are really interested in gay rights? Here is some info:

Gay rights in general, easy to use map

Gay rights in the Gulf states, AND Dubai

Article 177 of the Penal Code of Dubai imposes imprisonment of up to 10 years on consensual sodomy

Gay rights in Lebanon

Article 534, prohibits having sexual relations that are "contradicting the laws of nature," which is punishable by up to a year in prison. This prohibits male homosexuality, along with adultery, sodomy and fornication.

Boaz.
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

LAXspotter

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:28 pm

Quoting Max999 (Reply 47):
Imagine if there's a law in the US that says being an Arab person is illegal

big difference, seriously big difference. Since the inception of this nation, it has been laid out in the 1st amendment that government shall not impose any law establishing a religion or prohibiting thereof. Dubai's culture is different and frankly they have the right to impose that law, as EK said you cant go into the country expecting it to respect "Western Traditions of Tolerance". An entire culture is not going to adapt itself because of a few individuals, atleast not in the near future.