Junction
Topic Author

"Quick Question For Ya"

Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:41 pm

Does anyone else get annoyed with people at work who come over to your desk/cube and say "Quick question for ya", when it almost always really means "I need to have you do something for me that will take the rest of the day." I get so sick of people saying “Quick question for ya” when it is NEVER a quick question. Just be honest, and send it in an e-mail.
Thanks

FlyDeltaJets87

RE: "Quick Question For Ya"

Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:44 pm

Quoting Junction (Thread starter):
Does anyone else get annoyed with people at work who come over to your desk/cube and say "Quick question for ya", when it almost always really means "I need to have you do something for me that will take the rest of the day." I get so sick of people saying “Quick question for ya” when it is NEVER a quick question. Just be honest, and send it in an e-mail.
Thanks

Not the office for me, but I get really pissed when I'm standing in line to talk to the gate agent, and someone jumps the line and walks up to the front of the podium to ask a "quick" question and then their "quick question" becomes a 10 minute ordeal.   

[Edited 2007-11-09 14:00:00]
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

CastleIsland

Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:49 pm

I usually respond with "Well, I'll give you a quick answer then."
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

mbmbos

Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:53 pm

I usually say something like "Good, because I only have a couple of minutes". I also stand up to listen to their question because it looks like I'm heading some place and it hurries them away.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

LASoctoberB6

Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 1):
and then their "quick question" becomes a 10 minute ordeal.

And then the gate agent gets so caught up in the jumpee's problem, you often have to start all over. I usually say, "Excuse me, but I was here first and you need to wait in line like everyone else who is wanting to ask their 'quick question'".
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

ShyFlyer

Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:54 am

Any time someone has asked me a "quick question" it has really been very quick. Guess I'm lucky that way.
I lift things up and put them down.

luv2fly

Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:56 am

I have learned to speak up and tell people where the line is and be happy to join behind me.
You can cut the irony with a knife