krje1980

Places That Disappointed You

Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:32 pm

Since there is already an ongoing thread about places that impressed you,I thought it might be interesting to see what places people have been to that somehow did not live up to expectations. As I wrote in the previous thread, I was slightly disappointed with the following places:

Hawaii (Oahu) - Maybe I expected too much, but Oahu, and Honolulu in particular, was just like any other tropical place. Beaches, palm trees and lots of tourists. Nothing that made it stand out. Frankly, I found several places in the Philippines much more exotic and beautiful.

Washington DC: Except for the main downtown area, I found the city generally depressing and uninspiring.

Gothenburg, Sweden: The city has its fun parts, but overall I found the town quite gray and dull (maybe I shouldn't have gone during winter?)

photopilot

RE: Places That Disappointed You

Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:52 pm

The most disappointing place I've been has to be Florida. It's just one big strip-mall and condo development with so many beaches ruined by overdevelopment. Relaxing beach vacation, sadly no. Just lots of hype and Mickey World. Won't be back.

AeroWesty

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:16 pm

Vienna.

It seemed very dark and gray, a former world city in search of new meaning and purpose. On my first grand tour of Europe in the early 80s, I'd planned on spending 4 days there, but left for Italy after the first night, and haven't returned since. I did manage to fit in a slice of Sacher Torte though, which was quite good!
International Homo of Mystery

seb146

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:18 pm

Needles, California... Well, pretty much anywhere in the Southern California desert. I have driven SFO-LAS through Barstow and I was dissapointed. There is supposed to be an Air Force base there, but I saw nothing. Also, the cleanest gas station somewhere between LAS and RNO. That was a BIG let down. Also, the Klamath Falls. That really left me sitting there saying "That's it?"
Life in the wall is a drag.

JGPH1A

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:25 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 2):
I did manage to fit in a slice of Sacher Torte though, which was quite good!

You did the most important thing then  Smile Vienna is a little grand and forbidding, but it does have a lot of charm. The architecture is fun if a little excessively imperial, and the food is excellent.

One place that really disappointed me was Los Angeles - just ugly, plain ugly, even Hollywood was just a bunch of very shabby suburbs cheek-by-jowl with hideously tacky "mansions". Living proof that money cannot buy you good taste.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

sw733

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:29 pm

Paris

The entire Los Angeles area

Prague

2H4

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:32 pm

North Dakota. A giant field of dirt with the occasional telephone pole to liven things up. No curves in the roads, either, from what I saw.

I'd say it's one redeeming quality is the presence of a quality flight school...

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

Superfly

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:35 pm

Atlanta, Georgia.
Small southern town that happens to be very large. Many of the people were nice but it seems that the city really wants to be seen as a major international city. Everyone raved about how great Atlanta Underground was. It's just a shopping mall that just so happens to be underground.
Then again, I was with some rather boring relatives as this was back in 1992. Perhaps if I visit again and met up with some infamous A.neters in the Atlanta area, I may have a better experience.  Wink

Houston, Texas. Need I explain?
Houston makes Los Angeles look nice.

Mexico is another place that I am under-whelmed everytime I visit. Many people talk about how great and how fun the place is but somehow I've only been to the crappy parts (Cancun & Tijuana). Next time I go, I want to see Mexico City.

Haiti was a awful place. I knew the country was poor but my gosh, that is a 3rd. world country. That was the only time I've seen wide-spread malnutrition face to face. True a sad place.
Bring back the Concorde

NWA742

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:35 pm

Of all the places I've been, I'd have to say Mexico City.

In spite of the crime rates, I heard many good reviews regarding the cultural vibrance and diversity of this city, and chose to visit. Only, I took one damn wrong turn and ended up getting kidnapped and held for ransom.

I'm taking Denzel Washington with me if I ever go back.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

extspotter

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:36 pm

Venice.

The city smells bad, is crammed with tourists, lacks decent infrastructure and is dirty.

The queues are too long, the pigeons are obscenely overwieght due to tourists feeding them, everything is expensive and service on-existent.

The place no-longer feels like a living city, it is just Disneyland Italia.
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

UAL747

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:39 pm

A vagina.....

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Banco

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:40 pm

Quoting EXTspotter (Reply 9):

Of course it isn't a living city! Why else would it have been so preserved? Living cities develop and grow, and they do so by largely knocking down what was there before - see London, Paris and any other thriving metropolis where the new is cheek by jowl with the old.

Venice became a backwater. That's why it wasn't worth demolishing so much of it, thankfully for us.

As for all the queues and the tourists, if all you do is hang around St Mark's Square, that's entirely true.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

krje1980

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:43 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 8):
In spite of the crime rates, I heard many good reviews regarding the cultural vibrance and diversity of this city, and chose to visit. Only, I took one damn wrong turn and ended up getting kidnapped and held for ransom.

For real? You got kidnapped? Tell me more. . .now I'm intrigued.

NWA742

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:48 pm

Quoting Krje1980 (Reply 12):
For real? You got kidnapped? Tell me more. . .now I'm intrigued.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

krje1980

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:51 pm

Okay, fine. Then don' tell me. Sorry for asking.

thepilot

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:52 pm

For me, that place was Rome, Italy.

It was the dirtiest place in Europe I visited, I literally feared for my life every time I stepped into a crosswalk or rode on public transportation. The sidewalks aren't even safe, as I got clipped by a scooter on the fricking sidewalk! I was on crutches for three days, in Europe! Every single individual I saw smoked heavily, and I got pneumonia a few days later. Oh, yeah, and then there was CIA. The guards pointed a loaded gun in my chest when I couldn't find my passport in two seconds. Then there was only one bus every hour, and we had to fight others just to get on the bus. Not to mention every single place was filled to the brim with lines and people trying to sell you stuff. For a city with such a rich history and a national icon, I was amazed at what a dump it was. Definitely do not want to go back.
From YVR

andz

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:56 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 5):
Prague

I enjoyed my time in Prague, maybe cos I had no preconceptions I wasn't disappointed.

One place that did disappoint was Bondi Beach. It is a tiny little cove with no waves to speak of, I had imagined this huge surfers' paradise.

[Edited 2007-11-11 12:14:37]
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

lobster

Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:02 pm

Venice.

The city smells bad, is crammed with tourists, lacks decent infrastructure and is dirty.

The queues are too long, the pigeons are obscenely overwieght due to tourists feeding them, everything is expensive and service on-existent.

Yup, I spent two days in Venice when one was more than enough. Milan was another city that was not the greatest. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much out of Milan, and sure enough I was right. Very dirty, smoggy, rude, city.

Springbok747

Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:05 pm

Places that disappointed me:

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Extremely rude people at the airport, and a taxi driver that charged me double the fare (I found out later that I had been cheated).

Bismarck, ND: Boring place, nothing to do but sit indoors and freeze.

Egypt: Hot and filthy, overpriced and overrated.

[Edited 2007-11-11 12:40:11]
אני תומך בישראל

MadameConcorde

Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:07 pm

Any place that became spoiled by mass tourism. Many of the Greek Islands for example.
Mykonos, Paros, Ios, Santorini, Samos, Rodos...
They used to be so great, friendly, hospitable and incredibly cheap in the 70's. Now they have built up everywhere and do not look the same as they used to before the hords of tourists went there. Locals have changed too. They have become accustomed to money so they are ready to compromise.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

NWA742

Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:08 pm

Springbok and Krje,

I guess you guys never came across the Mexico City thread.

I was joking - never been there.

-NWA742

[Edited 2007-11-11 12:20:35]

Braybuddy

Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:08 pm

I've been travelling for 35 years now and I can honestly say there are only two places I really hated. I love experiencing new cultures, and will usually knock some fun out of most places I visit, but by far the two worst places I've come across are Monaco and Singapore. The former is a built-up, sterile rich man's club, and the latter just one enormous shopping centre. I'm sure both had plenty of charm decaces ago, but unfortuantely it's long, long gone.

Springbok747

Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:41 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 20):
Springbok and Krje,

I guess you guys never came across the Mexico City thread.

I was joking - never been there.

Nope..never came across that thread! Haha good to know it was a joke though  Smile
אני תומך בישראל

aviationmaster

Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:52 pm

Prague, Czech Republic
Paris, France
Rome, Italy
San Antonio, Texas
The Bahamas

sw733

Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:06 pm

Venice.

yes ...I forgot this one on my list...thank you! What a bad place.

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 18):
Bismarck, ND: Boring place, nothing to do but sit indoors and freeze.

Not sure if it's your thing, but if you're ever in Bismarck in the summer...go golfing. Bismarck has a few nice courses for the price. I'm not saying it rivals the 17th at Sawgrass, but for the price, it's a good place to play.

Springbok747

Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:29 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 24):
Not sure if it's your thing, but if you're ever in Bismarck in the summer...go golfing.

Golfing is not really my thing...but sure, will check it out if I'm there in summer. I've been there twice,but only during winter, so nothing to do there, except shovel the snow in the morning and sit indoors with the heater on. But snow is a good thing ...I'm longing to see some snow again.
אני תומך בישראל

AA777

Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:30 pm

Egypt: Hot and filthy, overpriced and overrated.

Hot and filthy, for sure. Overpriced?????? Overrated....? I think that the Pyramids alone at sunset are worth the trip.
Chicago- I stayed in a very nice area...and went all up and down the Magnificent Mile...but something was missing. I didnt feel that the city had a soul.... or enough diversity... and sorry guys, but... Chicago Style Pizza is totally overrated. Its not that I DISLIKE Chicago... I just was expecting more. Perhaps I didnt go to the 'cool' areas.

Los Angeles- I couldn't live there unless I had about 5 million dollars to spend on a house in Beverly Hills or Bel Air...... the rest of it is like a big old suburb... I dont get it... where is the city? There's barely a place that you can go to and say to yourself, 'I am definitely in L.A.' And the traffic? Ridiculous. Pasadena is cute though.

Athens & Rhodes: I didnt find much exciting about Athens- except the Parthenon. We then went to Rhodes...where I was disappointed... there wasnt much there... and the beaches were so-so at best.

New York City: I have a love-hate relationship with NYC. If they cut the population by 30 percent on Manhattan... I'd love it. But the overcrowdedness and noise? Oy. The extra people have got to go....On the other hand there is so much energy and attitude that I love about New York.

-AA777

[Edited 2007-11-11 13:47:13]

extspotter

Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:40 pm

I frogot one also:

Tunisia, Southern in particular (i.e. Monastir)

When we were there, we were pestered non stop, pulled into shops, my Mum and Sister kepts getting molested by both men and their sons and some even make offers for them (My mum was worth 20,000 camels and my sister 100,000) don't go, its awful, steer clear of africa in general anyway though.
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

lobster

Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:42 pm

Quoting AviationMaster (Reply 23):
San Antonio, Texas

Really? I actually quite liked SA when I was stationed there. Of course, most of my free time was spent drunk on the River Walk!!  drunk 

aviationmaster

Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:52 pm

Quoting Lobster (Reply 28):
Of course, most of my free time was spent drunk on the River Walk!!

I remeber the River Walk, seemed like a fun place. I guess I'll have to pay San Antonio another visit once I turn 21 Big grin

n229nw

Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:52 pm

Seattle: expected too much perhaps, but it really isn't a walking city, and a lot of it feels too cutesy and 5/8ths scale Disneyland-y to me.

San Francisco: I thought I'd love it, and it definitely has some beautiful parts downtown, and the bridges, etc., but the more time I spent in the Bay area, the more it "shrunk" on me. SF just felt more and more provincial and full of itself, and most of the city's architecture, outside the old downtown, is UGLY. Plus, too many hills.

Chicago: agree with what AA777 said

Florence--for the reasons that others have applued to Venice in this thread (but actually I loved Venice despite myself because of the sea smell and the strange sense of peace at night when you hear distant boat engines instead of any car noises. I don't know if I'd want to live there, but Venice has some magic. Florence was just as touristy, but also overrun with annoying motor-scooters, etc.)
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

JGPH1A

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:02 pm

Quoting AviationMaster (Reply 23):
Rome, Italy

Quoting Thepilot (Reply 15):
For me, that place was Rome, Italy.

Well, to each his own I suppose - but Rome is my favourite place in the entire world. Yes it's crowded and insane, but it has so much history and culture, and has such a fantastic atmosphere of leisurely and self-indulgent decadence, the ultimate farniente. I just absolutely love it. The Roman remains alone are worth the trip - everything else is just a bonus.

Quoting Thepilot (Reply 15):
Oh, yeah, and then there was CIA.

Well there you go then. Next time, pick a real airport  Smile
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

LAXspotter

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:13 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 2):
Vienna.

Are you kidding, you probably dont like Waltz Music

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 3):
Needles, California... Well, pretty much anywhere in the Southern California desert

you know how i feel out here

Quoting SW733 (Reply 5):
The entire Los Angeles area

Are you kidding? I love the Mid-wilshire district the best, although the traffic is disgusting

Egypt: Hot and filthy,

thats like India  Big grin

Quoting AA777 (Reply 26):
Los Angeles- I couldn't live there unless I had about 5 million dollars to spend on a house

Thats my only problem with the place, I'm still thinking how I can live there
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

TUNisia

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:22 pm

New Jersey... the garden state
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

AirTranTUS

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:25 pm

New Orleans is that place for me. I was rather bored when I was there.
I love ASO!

JGPH1A

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:26 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 34):
I was rather bored when I was there.

Did you try a "Hurricane" (a drink, not Katrina) ? - mmmmm tasty.

G5ive

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:27 pm

Rome-A lot of graffiti, I felt like I was somewhere in New York for a while. Expensive, and food wasn't what I expected.

Mexico City-A lot of graffiti, crime is high, too crowded, traffic is ridiculous.

Washington D.C.-Not downtown but the surrounding area-dirty, gloomy, high crime.

[Edited 2007-11-11 14:29:59]
Do I sign here?

LAXspotter

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:28 pm

I was bored as hell in Poughkeepsie, NY. I was bored in Vegas, well I was a Kid. I generally like most places, the differences in the cities is welcome. The only place I didnt enjoy is where I'm living now, the Inland Empire, this place is backward, horrible weather, I'm bored to death, and hence I'm #1 on the loser's list for a while  Embarrassment  Big grin

Evan767

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:30 pm

I can see a lot of people getting offended in this thread..
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

LOT767-300ER

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:31 pm

Chicago- I stayed in a very nice area...and went all up and down the Magnificent Mile...but something was missing. I didnt feel that the city had a soul.... or enough diversity...

rotfl  you have to be kidding me.

sw733

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:32 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 32):

Are you kidding? I love the Mid-wilshire district the best, although the traffic is disgusting

No, I am not kidding. I travel to LA and LA County on a monthly basis, and hate it every time. I've tried so hard to find a place I enjoy...I've been from the south to the north, west to the east, city to desert. I HATE the entire Los Angeles area, but unfortunately, I just again today booked a ticket to Burbank for work in mid-December. Ugh. When I think Palmdale is the best place in the whole county, that's a sad county in my eyes.

paneuropean

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:34 pm

Los Angeles- I couldn't live there unless I had about 5 million dollars to spend on a house in Beverly Hills or Bel Air...... the rest of it is like a big old suburb... I dont get it... where is the city? There's barely a place that you can go to and say to yourself, 'I am definitely in L.A.' And the traffic? Ridiculous. Pasadena is cute though.

Like I said it myself

LAXspotter

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:36 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 40):
When I think Palmdale is the best place in the whole county, that's a sad county in my eyes.

hahahah, that place is a dump. My favorite place in LA in the miracle mile district, I lived there for seven years, where most of my friends are. I see why you can hate LA, tho, but can you elaborate a little more?  Big grin

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 39):
you have to be kidding me.

yeah, thats how I felt when they talk about LA. Chicago is a place I havent been to but I have to go there.

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 38):
I can see a lot of people getting offended in this thread..

well I hope it isnt personal, hahaha. I know people hate LA, and they're good reasons

BCNGRO

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:42 pm

Dublin, Ireland: It's not that I didn't like the place, I think it's just that I expected a big european city and except for a couple of streets, the place looks more like a town.
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

sw733

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:44 pm

Palmdale is ok...not horrible. It has a lot of restaurants I enjoy, actually...the best thing to do there is eat, that is kinda sad though.

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 42):
I see why you can hate LA, tho, but can you elaborate a little more?

Well, keep in mind this is all based on personal experiences, but

1) Traffic is horrible...I am used to bad traffic, as I have spent a lot of time in Chicago, but come on...4:00am on a Wednesday and I am in a traffic jam...are you freakin' kidding me?

2) People are rude. Of course, this is a blanket statement, and I have met a lot of nice people in the LA area, but a larger percentage of the people I met in LA are rude than any other place I have been to in the world.

3) Prices are outrageous. Again, I am used to expensive stuff...I've lived and/or travelled in Chicago, London, Tokyo, Sydney, New York, Vancouver, Paris, etc. etc. but EVERYTHING is expensive in LA, things that don't even need to be. On three different occasions, in three different places, I saw them charging $3.19 for a bottle of freakin' Vitamin Water. You can get that at any gas station, anywhere else in the country, for like $1.50.

4) Weather...ok, this is COMPLETELY personal opinion, but I am a cold weather person (yes, I grew up in the middle of Namibia where it's 1,000 degrees 24/7/365, but I also have Chicago in my blood, so I am a cold weather person). I need seasons...LA has 1 season. That's fine for some people, but when I go there in January and it's 60, and I go in July and it's 70...come on, a little change please.

5) Clealiness...I found the whole LA area to be very dirty. The city, the suburbs, everywhere. I've been to rich parts, I've been to ghetto dangerous "don't get out of your car" parts of the city (where I got out of my car, because, well, I have balls of steel), and it's all dirty.

DC10extender

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:44 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 37):
the Inland Empire

Where exactly are you at?

As for my least liked cities:

Madison, Wisconsin
Denver, Colorado
Paris
Barcelona
The Grand Canyon area in general
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

LAXspotter

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:50 pm

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 45):
Where exactly are you at?

Redlands, CA : known for its victorian homes, 6-8 mile from San Bernardino, CA and 15 mile from Riverside. It Sucks, I'm not used to a town of 70,000.

Quoting SW733 (Reply 44):
2) People are rude. Of course

I wont disagree

4:00am on a Wednesday and I am in a traffic jam...are you freakin' kidding me?

allright, here is a story for you. I was at the In-n-out at LAX around 1045PM and I had to get to downtown LA area, so I though I would take the I-105 E to the I-110 N. It should normally take about 15-20 minutes, I made the horrible mistake of going in the sepulveda tunnel, and I got stuck there for 25 minutes, LA traffic is just unpredictable.

I saw them charging $3.19 for a bottle of freakin' Vitamin

where the hell where you, Sunset?

5) Clealiness...I found the whole LA area to be very dirty

agreed, although the Mid-wilshire "miracle Mile" is nice

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 45):
The Grand Canyon area in general

probably one of the top 5 natural wonders in the US, I guess you dont find Natural interesting?

PlymSpotter

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:53 pm

I'm always open minded when I go somewhere, I find it actually helps never to take the prescribed course of a guidebook as they feel stale and authoritarian, there are a few places though which have disappointed me;

Macau - the first thing you see as you arrive at the ferry terminal is a huge volcano, next to a Greek/Roman civilisation which, in turn, borders a section of Venice... to name but a few of the hideously copied styles and cliches which make for this monstrosity - so called an attraction by the casino who built it. There were some charming parts and nice buildings - especially in the old city, but this was frequently ruined by the many poorly conceived casino buildings and general lack of foresight as far as the local vernacular goes.

Manila, eugh, the city could have a nice waterfront if the smell didn't knock you out, same goes with the many waterways around the city which smell no better and probably are open sewers. The air pollution is not good either, but on the plus side there are some nice public spaces and a wealth of good food at ridiculously cheap prices. There's also the unfortunate generalisation that single western men are there purely for one reason... no, thank you, I have no care for that sort of soliciting.

I wasn't terribly impressed with Paris when I went there either, I would like to go back again and give it another try though.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

sw733

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:54 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 46):
where the hell where you, Sunset?

Oh gosh...I know one was Rancho Cucamonga, one was La Canada, and I think think think the other was Downey.

LAXspotter

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:56 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 47):
Manila, eugh, the city could have a nice waterfront if the smell didn't knock you out, same goes with the many waterways around the city which smell no better and probably are open sewers. The air pollution is not good either, but on the plus side there are some nice public spaces and a wealth of good food at ridiculously cheap prices

that describes India. The smell in most places in atrocious but the food is cheap, and delicious and there are a lot of interesting sights. One cant go to another "different" country and expect the same conviniencies and same environment.