luisca

Driving While Latin, Floridas' Newest Crime!

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:51 am

its 1230 AM and I am sleeping because I have a stage check tomorrow for a flight course, I get a call from a friend, he has been pulled over for speeding, he sounds worried, he tells me to go to his house and get his passport and I20 immigration form and bring it to an apartment complex in Melbourne, Florida. I do so and when i get there I see 4 cop cars, a police dog and my friend seeing his 60K dollar Mercedes being ripped apart.

The reason? the dog barked! apparently the infallible K9 nose decided he was smuggling cocaine, he has been there for about 1 hour and the police "cant find his license in the system". They have both been searched from head to toes and nothing but a bag of Doritos has been found in the car. The cops take his camera and say that there are pictures of my friends with coke in it, Bullshit, they are just trying to force them to "confess". As soon as I get there with their passports and my lawyer aunt on the cell phone they say sorry for the inconvenience and leave him a warning for speeding. The car had its floorboard and side panels damaged and it is now 130 am.

The police went out of their way to try and scare them, intimidate and humiliate them, they were yelling out loud how bail was gonna be 15K dollars and how they were gonna charge them with everything in the book and how they knew that there was cocaine in the car because the dog was never wrong.

The reason for this madness? my Friends are Latin and were coming back from a weekend of clubbing in Miami, driving a Mercedes, therefore they HAD TO BE drug dealers. He has never ever done coke in his life let alone had it in his car and the pictures in the camera which I saw with my own eyes just should them having a good time at a club in MIA. Now they are left with a damaged car and a humiliating experience.

Just a story from this little redneck town of mine. Untill when will we tolerate this police state of ours? cops in the US have too much power and this country is turning into a dictatorship no better than Venezuela or China. When did freedom and private property become expendable rights in the war against terrorism?
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

LAXspotter

RE: Driving While Latin, Floridas' Newest Crime!

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:57 am

Sounds horrible, what did they exactly do to his car? Was your friend speeding? Why did the cops check him for coke?
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

AirTranTUS

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:02 am

Quoting Luisca (Thread starter):
Just a story from this little redneck town of mine. Untill when will we tolerate this police state of ours? cops in the US have too much power and this country is turning into a dictatorship no better than Venezuela or China. When did freedom and private property become expendable rights in the war against terrorism?

You were going so well until you started spewing this BS. If the dog seriously smelled cocaine, then it should be investigated. The cops should also have to pay for the damaged car since they were wrong. Their interrogation techniques do seem off, but no reason for you to go spouting off about racist cops. You have as much evidence as them being racist as they have about your friend having coke.
I love ASO!

NeilYYZ

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:04 am

cops in the US have too much power and this country is turning into a dictatorship no better than Venezuela or China.

That's quite the stretch.

my Friends are Latin and were coming back from a weekend of clubbing in Miami, driving a Mercedes, therefore they HAD TO BE drug dealers

Or it could be because the drug dog hit on something. I'm not saying that what the police did was right, I don't know all the details, but let's not jump straight for the race card.

I've had my car searched by the police too, and I'm about as "white" as they come.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

flymia

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:19 am

cops in the US have too much power and this country is turning into a dictatorship no better than Venezuela or China.
That statement is taking this a little to far.

When did freedom and private property become expendable rights in the war against terrorism?
What does this have to do about terrorism?

Anyway back to the story. It sounds horrible, I have had a few friends in these bad situations before with cops, most of the time small town cops doing things like this and its horrible. The story sounds bad, and it sounds like the cops had no reason to go crazy. If the dog smelled something than they had all the right to search the car, but the way they did it was not right. I hope someone got some badge numbers and names? Make the Department pay for the damage and if they dont threat to sue the city with discrimination of something, that will make their ears go up a little bit. Just as much of a right as the cops had to search the car because of the dog you have a right to take down names of the officers. Some officers will try to intimidate people. I myself have never experienced this much, and in the small intimidation I have received in the past I dont react much to it and just talk to the officer in a respectful manner and keep my cool, I think most of the time this will help deter behavior from Police Officers like what happened to your friend.
Now if they were stopped back in Miami by Miami/Miami Beach/County police they probably would have just given a speeding ticket and they would have been on the way. But they did have problems finding their license in the system which is a problem you may want to check out. But it is obvious these cops were looking for a big bust and not just another speeder.

Simple things to try to keep things like this from happening (I am not saying that your friend acted in a disrespectful manner I am just saying this for reference of anyone else while where on the subject)
Dont speed ?
Always act in a respectful manner
Try not to act nervous.
If the officer wants to search and you dont have anything to hide than let him search. ( if you have something to hide hopefully know one ever does you do have the right to not let him search)
At night always turn on your interior lights.
Turn your engine off once your stopped
keep your hands in sight the whole time.
Have important papers in easy to access places.
But dont let the officer intimidate you into saying something you did not do, you have rights just like the officer does.

But remember the type of cops which did that to your friends is a major minority. Most cops will not act like that and are just tyring to do their job, but these bad experiences are horrible to hear about, I hate it when some cops do things like that.
(of course much of this comment is based that the story you said is the truth and not exaggerated at all)

[Edited 2007-11-11 23:22:16]
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

EWRCabincrew

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:27 am

As for the race card, what race is Hispanic? Isn't that an ethnic background? Like European?

If the dog smelled cocaine, the police have probable cause.

One thing here, for certain, we are relying on heresay and word of mouth. None of us were there to witness either side. As for damages brought about by the PD, if there was probable cause (the dog sniffing cocaine), should the PD have to remit for said property loss? Just a question being thrown out there.
You can't cure stupid

JGPH1A

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:34 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 4):
Simple things to try to keep things like this from happening (I am not saying that your friend acted in a disrespectful manner I am just saying this for reference of anyone else while where on the subject)
Dont speed ?
Always act in a respectful manner
Try not to act nervous.
If the officer wants to search and you dont have anything to hide than let him search. ( if you have something to hide hopefully know one ever does you do have the right to not let him search)
At night always turn on your interior lights.
Turn your engine off once your stopped
keep your hands in sight the whole time.
Have important papers in easy to access places.
But dont let the officer intimidate you into saying something you did not do, you have rights just like the officer does.

Try not to act nervous ? With some beefy trigger-fingered PTSD neanderthal nutjob with a big gun yelling at you about how he's going to jail your ass ? Yeah, right...
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

NeilYYZ

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:12 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 6):
Try not to act nervous ? With some beefy trigger-fingered PTSD neanderthal nutjob with a big gun yelling at you about how he's going to jail your ass ? Yeah, right...

That right there is quite the assumtion that you're making. Maybe we should hear both sides of the story before we go calling law enforcement PTSD neanderthal nutjobs. Just a thought.

Edit - I thought that I'd add this. The whole premise of this post is that the police made inaccurate assumptions about this gentleman. How is what you just said any different?

[Edited 2007-11-12 00:16:23]
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

JGPH1A

Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:05 pm

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 7):
How is what you just said any different?

I don't have

a) powers of arrest
b) a gun

with which to back my statement up by force if necessary. Those two things make any argument very one sided.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

airfoilsguy

Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:34 pm

The reason for this madness? my Friends are Latin and were coming back from a weekend of clubbing in Miami, driving a Mercedes, therefore they HAD TO BE drug dealers.

You know this for a fact?
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

miamiair

Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:41 pm

This is called heresay. It is more of a rant than anything.

And I am hispanic. This hasn't happened to me, and I have gone up and down the coast.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

yowza

Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:58 pm

Luisca I understand your frustration, it is not a nice feeling to be painted with one brush. But I think you painting all cops with the same brush is just as wrong and just as irresponsible. I think in all likelihood your friend was unlucky to run into a cop with a stick up his ass who decided a forceful performance was in order to make his point. That's just my 2 cents.

As somebody who get more than his fair share of love from the Dept of Homeland security every time I enter the states I only take issue with the agents who are brash and unprofessional. It is simply not appropriate or fair to make broad sweeping statements, although I will admit that such thoughts have crossed my mind on certain occasions.

YOWza

ANCFlyer

Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:00 pm

Untill when will we tolerate this police state of ours?

sarcastic 

Credibility lost right here.

Any objectivity you may have shown is now crap.

Anything further you spew on this topic is tainted.

Any further discussion on your rant is unwarranted and a complete waste of time.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

alberchico

Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:16 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 12):
Untill when will we tolerate this police state of ours?

Even though this country has its faults its nowhere near to becoming a police state. In terms of olice corruption countries like China, Venezuela and Russia are FAR worse than us.

The reason for this madness? my Friends are Latin

But you said that the police dog barked at the car ? Does that mean that the dog is also racist and is taught to bark at every hispanic that it sees
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

ANCFlyer

Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:22 pm

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 13):
Does that mean that the dog is also racist and is taught to bark at every hispanic that it sees

Or every Mercedes?

sarcastic 

"Good Boy, it's a Mercedes, go get it Spot, go get it!".
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

mham001

Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:24 pm

Police profile and they had probable cause. Get over it. And trying to turn it into a racial thing is a no-go. As a white male, I've been profiled and harrassed(in my mind) several times. Go cry somewhere else.

NeilYYZ

Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:27 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 8):
I don't have

a) powers of arrest
b) a gun

with which to back my statement up by force if necessary. Those two things make any argument very one sided.

I wanted to know where you get off calling all police PTSD neanderthal nutjobs?

If your answer to that question is because you don't have the power of arrest or a gun, then this whole thread just reached a whole new comical level.

JGPH1A

Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:58 pm

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 16):
I wanted to know where you get off calling all police PTSD neanderthal nutjobs?

That is exactly how they come across when they are aggressive and abusive. If a policemen feels he has to search my car, fine, that's his job, but there is no necessity whatsoever to become verbally abusive or threatening, as it appears they did in the case described above. Do the job, if there are grounds for arrest, no doubt they will do so, but there's no need to get aggressive about it.

FlyDeltaJets87

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:27 pm

its 1230 AM

So it was obviously dark. No way the cops knew your friend was Hispanic when he was first pulled over.

The reason? the dog barked! apparently the infallible K9 nose decided he was smuggling cocaine, he

And? Who knows if the dog smelled residue from inside the car that was left by someone who does or did do cocaine that rode in the car? Those dogs have incredible sniffing capabilities and can pick even something that small up. I'm sure the dogs make mistakes, but you still have to assume that if he's barking, he smells drugs (well, that's assuming his "I found drugs" signal is to bark. For some it's to sit or laydown, etc.) Hell, you're a pilot- "Trust your instruments."

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 15):
Police profile and they had probable cause

And it may not have even had anything to do with the guy being Hispanic. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case with this one, as the cops were probably on a power trip, especially during interogation, but if you're first pulled over for speeding and the drug dogs sniff something in your car, then there's a good chance that you're smuggling drugs. Not 100%, but it can't be ignored.

It's also time we stop with this "stop profiling and be politically correct" bullshit. Like Ron White says "They were stopping all the cars driving down that particular sidewalk, and that's profiling. And profiling's wrong."
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

fumanchewd

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:54 pm

The police went out of their way to try and scare them, intimidate and humiliate them, they were yelling out loud how bail was gonna be 15K dollars and how they were gonna charge them with everything in the book and how they knew that there was cocaine in the car because the dog was never wrong.

The reason for this madness? my Friends are Latin and were coming back from a weekend of clubbing in Miami, driving a Mercedes, therefore they HAD TO BE drug dealers.

Believe it or not it happens to honkeys too. How old is he? If he's pretty young and driving an expensive car early in the morning, it probably would have happened to anyone.

BTW, its latino.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

WellHung

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:57 pm

I'm sure next time they will obey the posted speed limit.

luisca

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:27 pm

Quoting WellHung (Reply 20):
I'm sure next time they will obey the posted speed limit.

Quoting WellHung (Reply 20):
Believe it or not it happens to honkeys too. How old is he? If he's pretty young and driving an expensive car early in the morning, it probably would have happened to anyone.

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 18):
And? Who knows if the dog smelled residue from inside the car that was left by someone who does or did do cocaine that rode in the car? Those dogs have incredible sniffing capabilities and can pick even something that small up. I'm sure the dogs make mistakes, but you still have to assume that if he's barking, he smells drugs (well, that's assuming his "I found drugs" signal is to bark. For some it's to sit or laydown, etc.) Hell, you're a pilot- "Trust your instruments

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 15):

Police profile and they had probable cause. Get over it. And trying to turn it into a racial thing is a no-go. As a white male, I've been profiled and harrassed(in my mind) several times. Go cry somewhere else.

All I can say is I hope it doesn't happen to you, the humiliation of standing in the cold for 2 hours while your car is being ripped apart for no good reason, even if their initially was suspicion there was no reasons to drag it on like this.

It is daytime now and I am no longer tired and angry, just angry, I have spoken to my friends again and they say that the whole thing started with the cop performing the traffic stop, who happened to be a K9 unit. while performing the traffic stop he was really aggressive, asking things like how can you afford this car?, what does your dad do?, were are you coming from?, and then he asked them to step out of the car, searched them, then let the dog into the car, that is when he barked on the passenger seat, he started harassing the Passenger about how he was gonna throw him in jail, to just try to harass him into a confession, then he told the passenger that there were pictures with coke in the camera and to tell him were it was. The police officers in the backup cars were laughing apparently enjoining the power trip he was going on.

When I showed up with his passport they magically found his DL in the system, even though they have given him a ticket before, apparently at about 1 am the backup cars finally got tired and were telling the police officer that had made the stop that it was enough, to let it go. He finally gave up not before yelling that they might have won this time but that he would catch them and then came the comment, they think they can come into this country and just break our laws and not get caught.

Take it how you want it.

[Edited 2007-11-12 12:59:55]

Mir

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:49 pm

Sounds like you got a hard-ass cop on a bad day. There's no justification for that sort of treatment, but it happens, and making references to a police state is taking things way too far.

At least you and your friends didn't let yourselves get dragged into his game.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

LAXspotter

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:09 pm

You friends shouldnt have been speeding, that way he could have avoided this fiasco. I think the police have every right to search your car if the Dog sniffs something, and hopefully they reimburse your friend, your friend should have sped in the first place.  Smile

FlyDeltaJets87

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:22 pm

Quoting Luisca (Reply 21):
All I can say is I hope it doesn't happen to you, the humiliation of standing in the cold for 2 hours while your car is being ripped apart for no good reason, even if their initially was suspicion there was no reasons to drag it on like this.

I live in Florida. It was not "cold" last night, even at 1230 AM, even up here in DAB.  sarcastic 

All I can say is I hope it doesn't happen to you, the humiliation of standing in the cold for 2 hours while your car is being ripped apart for no good reason, even if their initially was suspicion there was no reasons to drag it on like this

Really? About a year ago, a post-it note with a bomb threat was found on my dad's plane. The entire aircraft was detained and questioned for several hours. He didn't describe anyone on a power-trip, which I think is the only issue in your story, but point is, the suspicion for a bomb was there and thus had to be handled seriously and fully resolved.

while performing the traffic stop he was really aggressive, asking things like how can you afford this car?, what does your dad do?, were are you coming from?,

All fair questions as far as I'm concerned when there's a young person with a suspicion of cocaine.

he started harassing the Passenger about how he was gonna throw him in jail, to just try to harass him into a confession, then he told the passenger that there were pictures with coke in the camera and to tell him were it was. The police officers in the backup cars were laughing apparently enjoining the power trip he was going on.

You see, you have a legitimate complaint here, and I think you should follow up on this part.
But as far as the thread is concerned you've lost your legitimacy and your credibility by stereotyping police officers in the manner you have, when I'm sure on more than one occasion, that cop has dealt with real drug dealers, seen their profile, etc.

luisca

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:38 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 23):
You friends shouldnt have been speeding

let he who has no sin cast the first stone, who hasnt been cought speeding before?

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 24):
I live in Florida. It was not "cold" last night, even at 1230 AM, even up here in DAB.

It was 68, my definition of cold!

[Edited 2007-11-12 15:39:57]

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:31 am

Quoting Luisca (Reply 25):
let he who has no sin cast the first stone, who hasnt been cought speeding before?

Me. Zero traffic tickets to my name, knock on wood.  biggrin 

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:31 am

, who hasnt been cought speeding before?

Well never speed, that way you dont have to go thru a whole lot more. I try not to speed on "Deserted" interstates where the police will have a easier time getting you, where was he pulled over? I hope your friend gets reimbursed.

WildcatYXU

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:43 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 22):
Sounds like you got a hard-ass cop on a bad day.

And doing a pisspoor job. Surprisingly, the cop members will defend him as always.

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 23):
You friends shouldn't have been speeding, that way he could have avoided this fiasco.

This is your idea of dealing with speeders? Well, mine is different.

while performing the traffic stop he was really aggressive, asking things like how can you afford this car?, what does your dad do?, were are you coming from?,

All fair questions as far as I'm concerned when there's a young person with a suspicion of cocaine.

There is no excuse for unnecessary and unwarranted aggressive behaviour. The questions may be perceived fair by some, but the manner how these questions were asked is more important.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:46 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 28):
There is no excuse for unnecessary and unwarranted aggressive behaviour. The questions may be perceived fair by some, but the manner how these questions were asked is more important.

*sigh*
Sometimes I wish people would read all of your post before responding.

he started harassing the Passenger about how he was gonna throw him in jail, to just try to harass him into a confession, then he told the passenger that there were pictures with coke in the camera and to tell him were it was. The police officers in the backup cars were laughing apparently enjoining the power trip he was going on.

You see, you have a legitimate complaint here, and I think you should follow up on this part.

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:47 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 28):
This is your idea of dealing with speeders? Well, mine is different.

huh  Confused

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 26):
Me. Zero traffic tickets to my name, knock on wood.

me too, but thats because I'm obsessed with getting excellent mileage in my car

aa61hvy

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:47 am

I understand sometimes the cops go over board, but look at it from their perspective-they need to know what's exactly going on. So sure they will ask a lot of questions so they can get a full understanding of what is going on. In terms of what he is driving and race, perhaps a lot of 20 somethings in South Florida transport dope? It isn't as far fetched as you might think. Sure it's a shitty situation, but these guys have a job to do.

As a side note I've been pulled over for rolling a stop sign on an empty street at 1am. I got interrogated on why I was going a certain way home. I explained why I like this route better-he accepted it and gave me a warning. Just be patient, cordial and realize the cops are trying to do their job.
Go big or go home

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 31):
As a side note I've been pulled over for rolling a stop sign on an empty street at 1am. I got interrogated on why I was going a certain way home. I explained why I like this route better-he accepted it and gave me a warning.

same shit happened to my dad. Those bastards are at the most unexpected corners  Big grin at the oddest hours.

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:57 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 31):
As a side note I've been pulled over for rolling a stop sign on an empty street at 1am. I got interrogated on why I was going a certain way home. I explained why I like this route better-he accepted it and gave me a warning. Just be patient, cordial and realize the cops are trying to do their job.

Yeup. My dad got pulled over in East St. Louis at the early hours of the morning, as he'd have to commute to his office in downtown St. Louis from Bellville, IL. When going to work, he wouldn't wait for traffic lights to turn green. He'd treat them as a stop sign and if no traffic was coming, he'd go. One day he got pulled over for running the red light. Cop asked him what he as a white guy was doing in East St. Louis at that hour of the morning and why he ran the red-light. My dad explained he was on his way to work and as for running the red-light, said "does this really look like the kind of neighborhood I want to be sitting around in?" The cop just laughed and let him on his way.

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 30):
me too, but thats because I'm obsessed with getting excellent mileage in my car

Yea, I calculated the difference when driving up to JAX and back from DAB one time. Driving up, I was averaging around 80 mph (which is normal on I-95), and my mileage was about 20 mpg. Coming back, I averaged about 70 mph and it was closer to 30 mpg.

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:03 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 33):
around 80 mph (which is normal on I-95), and my mileage was about 20 mpg. Coming back, I averaged about 70 mph and it was closer to 30 mpg.

one word: tachometer, look @ it carefully. The problem with me is I cant afford to drive 70 because everyone is going 80 in these parts, but in the LA metropolitan area everyone is moving about 15-25 MPH  Big grin . Ideally the best speed is 55 which would be okay in South Florida with the high number of retirees i guess  duck 

BTW, what car do you drive?

flymia

Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:33 am

and then he asked them to step out of the car, searched them, then let the dog into the car, that is when he barked on the passenger seat, he started harassing the Passenger about how he was gonna throw him in jail, to just try to harass him into a confession

Well the officer has all the right to ask you to step out of the car but thats it. Unless he can smell or see something from the window as long as you close and lock the door after you leave the car the officer has no right to search the car unless he is granted permission. Of course if your friend had nothing to hide than he would let the cop go ahead and search the car. Also I never heard of a dog barking when he finds drugs that seems a little bit weird. I been around police K9 dogs the past two years and they all sit or lay down when they find something. Also you have the right to remain silence, after the officer started talking about going to jail etc.. the best thing would be to shut up and just let the police do what they wan to do.

All fair questions as far as I'm concerned when there's a young person with a suspicion of cocaine

No those questions are not fair and should not be asked unless they find something, also the person being stopped has the right not to answer questions like that from the police. I drive my fathers car when I am back home in Miami, and its not the police officers business why I am driving this car until he sees its registered to my father, or how I could afford it etc.. I hate it when I hear police officers harassing younger people sometimes just because they drive a nicer car than they ever will in their life. Again this is very rare and I dont hear many stories like this but it does happen.

Again I think it is obvious the cops where not looking for speeders since they did not give your friend a ticket and they wanted to search the car pretty quickly I presume. Cops sometimes do this, they stop someone for speeding hoping its a bigger bust and than if they find nothing they let them off with a warning. Sometimes is beneficial and works and other times is just a waste of time.
But you should make the police department pay for the any damage done to the car!

Disclaimer: I am not a police hater even though the past two responses might me sound like one. I respect law enforcement to the highest level, I am even highly considering becoming a LEO later after I am finished with school. But there are just a few little things that bug me about how some police officers act some of the time.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

DC10extender

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:16 am

Are you serious? No really, are you kidding? If anything, police officers in this country have too little authority. We are absolutely nothing like Venezuela and China. Think about it before you go all anti-American over one incident.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:20 am

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 36):
Think about it before you go all anti-American over one incident.

jesus, that accusation comes fast. Although I do not agree wtih his stereotyping of cops, I dont see how is comments were anti-american.

DC10extender

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:26 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 37):
jesus, that accusation comes fast. Although I do not agree wtih his stereotyping of cops, I dont see how is comments were anti-american.

Basically, he said America is a corrupt police state that is turning into a dictatorship. I don't know about you but that seems anti-American to me.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

LOT767-300ER

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:50 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 12):
Credibility lost right here.

Any objectivity you may have shown is now crap.

Anything further you spew on this topic is tainted.

Any further discussion on your rant is unwarranted and a complete waste of time.

Credibility and objectivity is pure opinion of the other person.

Youre credibility and objectivity in my opinion was lost when you became a cop.

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 35):
I respect law enforcement to the highest level, I am even highly considering becoming a LEO later after I am finished with school

rotfl  Yea right.

Nuori5084

Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:05 am

A cop bashing thread! I've finally joined so I can now defend my minority here.

If there was a dog called; then there's suspicion on the officer's part right there. The dog picked up a scent and that's probable cause. That's pretty strong evidence right there. I am not a K9 officer so that's about all I can say. People are confusing reasonable suspicion with probable cause.

Let me clear this up:
Reasonable suspicion: I am following a car and I observe the diver is failing to maintain their lane and can't maintain the speed limit. Based alone on my observations.

Probable cause: I initiate a traffic stop with the driver. I observe the driver as what I believe as under the influence. I do a FST (Field Sobriety Test) and come to the conclusion that they are in fact under the influence. I take them into custody. Based on my training and observations.

Back on topic:
Any "damage" that was caused by the search should be reported. And if they feel they were so harassed; they are more than welcome to file a complaint at the department. All reports are investigated.

There are two sides to every story. I would love to hear the officer's side. Based on the thread title alone, the original post is rich in bias.

All that an no speeding citation?
Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

flymia

Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:24 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 39):
Yea right.

No really i am serious, besides for me disagreeing with the low speed limits in this country and the cops that give tickets for someone going 12 over at 2am on an empty highway I really do respect cops alot especially when I get pulled over.  Wink But I am really thinking about being a LEO but at the federal level.

Quoting Nuori5084 (Reply 40):
Back on topic:
Any "damage" that was caused by the search should be reported. And if they feel they were so harassed; they are more than welcome to file a complaint at the department. All reports are investigated.

Best advice so far. If there was a problem file a complaint and report the damage. Your in America you have alot of rights too unlike some other countries you mentioned before.

Mike89406

Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:35 am

If I was your friend I would definatley go after damage compensation for the car damage thats the least he can do.

LOT767-300ER

Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:44 am

A cop bashing thread! I've finally joined so I can now defend my minority here.

Actually the majority is 99% authority rear kissers, 1% people who dont kiss authority rear.

If there was a dog called; then there's suspicion on the officer's part right there. The dog picked up a scent and that's probable cause. That's pretty strong evidence right there. I am not a K9 officer so that's about all I can say. People are confusing reasonable suspicion with probable cause.

I had a K9 bark at me in immigration (Agriculture) in Boston, they ripped apart my bag and found a paper wrapper from Polish sausage that I used to secure in a glass platter for my mother. Dog smelled sausage, wonderful.

Reasonable suspicion: I am following a car and I observe the diver is failing to maintain their lane and can't maintain the speed limit. Based alone on my observations.

Based alone on my observation, about 99% of American drivers break speed limits every day of their life.

Reasonable suspicious my white polar bear behind, in Florida you can shoot someone freely if you think youre in danger. Who knows, you have reasonable suspicion because they are looking at you funny or a neighbor waves a fist at you.

Want to see some fair questions hot shot, go drive with one of your black friends down Clyde Morris in the big PO in the nighttime and watch the Port Orange cops be on you like white on rice.

I drive through PO almost daily and never ever got pulled over, yet when I drove my friend Kevin (black guy) to work with me because his car was in the shop we got pulled over 2x in 6 days during the nighttime. One of the cops BS excuses was the the lights were too bright (factory)...

sovietjet

Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:10 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 43):
One of the cops BS excuses was the the lights were too bright (factory)...

rotfl  is it really necessary to pull someone over for supposably bright lights

Nuori5084

Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:58 am

Actually the majority is 99% authority rear kissers, 1% people who dont kiss authority rear.

Or until it's convenient for them.

I had a K9 bark at me in immigration (Agriculture) in Boston, they ripped apart my bag and found a paper wrapper from Polish sausage that I used to secure in a glass platter for my mother. Dog smelled sausage, wonderful.

Dogs are well, animals. They do have an appetite and will go for food. They aren't perfect, but a darn close when it comes to the job.

Based alone on my observation, about 99% of American drivers break speed limits every day of their life.

I think we can all agree on that observation. My job is to uphold the law. We all speed, I do it everyday. There is a difference between letter of the law and spirit of the law. I can pull over people for going 5 MPH over all day and get nothing else done or I can pull over the people going 15-20 MPH over and teach them a lesson on safe driving.

Furthermore, I treat everyone with respect that I com into contact with. You teach people how to treat you. Plain and simple. I pull over someone and they fail the attitude test; well their day is going to get that much worse. No one is going to tell me how to do my job or tell me what I should or shouldn't doing.

Reasonable suspicious my white polar bear behind, in Florida you can shoot someone freely if you think youre in danger. Who knows, you have reasonable suspicion because they are looking at you funny or a neighbor waves a fist at you.

I fall short of following your logic.

Let me make this clear: I am not in Florida, but in California. Justifiable Homicide vs. Homicide is well understood across the board. It's up to a jury of 12 to decide on that if you take matters into your own hands. You're talking from a civilian stand point and NOT a Peace Officer's standpoint. You have to articulate in court that your actions justified your result and convince a jury. By what you described....you fall very short and that's from a LEO's perspective.
Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

LOT767-300ER

Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:18 am

Quoting Sovietjet (Reply 44):
is it really necessary to pull someone over for supposably bright lights

Who knows? I witnessed on this god green earth in the passengers seat when my buddy got pulled over in a V6 Camaro in Hoffman Estates for having too loud of an exhaust while driving...not even at a light accelerating! Exhaust was stock. Guess where we drove to court? Yea our favorite place Ivan...you know what im talking about.

Week later I got pulled over in Deerfield for passing in a passing zone because some woman honked at me and a cop just happened to sit there. The cop told me to be careful because people arent familiar with passing on the oncoming lane. Just shut the _@UI)RUHS and learn how to pass, I guess thats too challenging for an American behind the wheel.

Id like to extend a big middle finger to about 90% of Police Departments in the Chicago NW/N side with special greetings to Hannover Park PD and the Hoffman Estates PD/Schamburg PD mafia. And if I ever donated to the police or had to work for one, I wouldnt hesitate to give that out to the Illinois State Police,

Lest be not said, the judge was pissed off at the cop for wasting his time.

Quoting Nuori5084 (Reply 45):
Or until it's convenient for them.

That depends who you are talking about.

I think we can all agree on that observation. My job is to uphold the law. We all speed, I do it everyday. There is a difference between letter of the law and spirit of the law. I can pull over people for going 5 MPH over all day and get nothing else done or I can pull over the people going 15-20 MPH over and teach them a lesson on safe driving.

Or you can start pulling people over who yack on cell phones or slow down traffic on the left lane. Driving 80mph in a 65 zone in the middle of a field is about as big of a danger as I am Donald Duck.

Let me make this clear: I am not in Florida, but in California. Justifiable Homicide vs. Homicide is well understood across the board. It's up to a jury of 12 to decide on that if you take matters into your own hands. You're talking from a civilian stand point and NOT a Peace Officer's standpoint. You have to articulate in court that your actions justified your result and convince a jury. By what you described....you fall very short and that's from a LEO's perspective.

What jury? There is no jury.

http://www.flsenate.gov/data/session...ate/bills/billtext/pdf/s0436er.pdf

Sec. 776.032

miamiair

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:24 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 46):

Another Po-Po bashing rant, how droll.

I see your white polar bear ass getting tossed in the clink if you use deadly force without justification.

luisca

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:46 pm

Let me clear this up:

That explains why I got pulled over for a supposed "lane violation" and even though I clearly was not drunk (in fact I was coming back from work) they made me go through a full sobriety test, seriously, the cop told me that I had touched the median and that was why she was pulling me over.

Where were you or any other reasonable cop when I got an 80 dollar ticket for going 7 over the limit?

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 36):
Are you serious? No really, are you kidding? If anything, police officers in this country have too little authority. We are absolutely nothing like Venezuela and China. Think about it before you go all anti-American over one incident.

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 38):
Basically, he said America is a corrupt police state that is turning into a dictatorship. I don't know about you but that seems anti-American to me.
It seems any person that dares to question the government these days is labeled anti-american. There used to be a time when standing up against government injustices was considered patriotic. It looks like labelling someone as anti American is the easiest defense these days for people complaining about the loos of freedom in this country.

Never did I say the US was corrupt, in fact the reason my family emigrated to the US in the first place was that I was born in a Police dictatorship, and the final straw was when my pregnant mother got held at gun point by law enforcement while they searched her car after a anti government protest.

The US, the land of freedom, yet with the excuse of security we allow crimes like wire taps, arrest without warrants, Guantanamo, water boarding, patriot act, etc. We have lost so many freedoms in the last 6 years, it is sad, but what is sadder is that those who question a (and I will use the word this time) corrupt government like ours TODAY, get labeled as anti American, un-patriotic, traitors, pinko commies, etc. The founding fathers must be rolling in their graves.

Do you think my country of birth became a police state over night? NO, our rights were taken away little by little, slowly, untill we had nothing left to defend; and then taking over government was a piece of cake. In fact it took almost 15 years for the police to take over government in my country, but it all started with shutting down protest, imprisoning dissenters, police searches, police beatings, etc... sound familiar?

PS, to make it clear, when I mean corrupt I am referring to Bush, Cheney, Rove, Scooter Libby, Abramoff, Rumsfeld, etc. All off these people

[Edited 2007-11-13 04:52:46]

[Edited 2007-11-13 04:55:07]

miamiair

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:55 pm

Quoting Luisca (Reply 48):
Where were you or any other reasonable cop when I got an 80 dollar ticket for going 7 over the limit?

You got caught, quit your bitching. I got caught speeding in Georgia, got a ticket, I paid the fine; I didn't come here and whine about it. What is a cop supposed to do, let you off after you break the law? Grow up.