bagpiper

America's Addiction To Sports

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:02 pm

What is with America's addiction to sports? Maybe other countries have the same problem - but I have really noticed it a lot in the US.

I was waiting for my flight to ATL from PIT the other day, sitting at gate D80, across from the T.G.I. Fridays sports bar. The Pittsburgh Steelers were playing some other football team (please, don't enlighten me. I don't care who it was), and the bar was packed full, with people filling the hallway of the terminal. Every time the Steelers made a score, the whole crowd erupted in an ear-peircing shout/yell, celebrating "their" score. "We scored! We scored! I love how our [insert player name] is so good". Or "OHMYGOSH that was incredible! He's awesome!". The 5 or 10 people cheering for the other team let out a volley of "BOO!!!!!"'s for every cheer of the opposing team.

Things died down for a little bit, and I was talking to an Irish guy who I had met the previous night, who happened to be on the same flight back to ATL as I was on. He had a 2 hour layover in ATL, before flying on to DUB. We were talking about the previous night's concert (which he was in, I was watching), when suddenly a guy dropped the F-bomb when the "my team made a mistake". Shortly after, the crowd errupted in a roar that caused all conversation within 100 feet of the bar to stop - because we couldn't communicate unless yelling. People sleeping gate area woke up, some quite startled, probably wondering what the hell was going on.

Finally, boarding started, and the enterance to the jetway was right across from the bar. People clogged the door trying to get one last glimpse of the game before "being secluded in a hell-hole where you can't get score updates". They had to delay pushback because some idiots wouldn't put away their phones before they could shut the door, because they were so engrossed in the game.

During the flight, the captain kept making announcements about the current game score, predictions, and the current quarter, time, etc. To make things worse, the two guys behind me kept talking about the game. What really got me was the following conversation (not exact quotes, because I can't remember all the details. However, it followed pretty closely to what is written below):

Guy 1: I can't believe that touchdown they made!
Guy 2: Me neither! I'm so glad we made it - probably saved the game
Guy 1: Yeah, its better than the last few games we've played
Guy 2: My friend [friends name] said he's going to tear us up next game
Guy 1: I don't think so. We have been holding pretty strong.
Guy 2: True
Guy 1: Man... I still can't believe that touchdown we made!

Note the "we". Why the heck say "we"!? You, Mr. Fan, did nothing at all. You were staring at the TV, cheering like a mad man for pixels moving around on a plasma screen. You, sir, were sitting on your lazy butt, shouting your lungs out inbetween bites of pizza, for some guy you never met, and never will meet. You are exactly that - a fan. One of the millions of others just like you. Some self-proclaimed expert of the team you have seen, at best, from 300 yards away, after paying good money to go shout and scream at. My neighbors dog gives better responses to being shouted at. Some team that you swear you will never miss a game of on TV. Something you have bonded so close to, you think it is part of you - you say "we" and "us". You have a love/hate relationship with the team that you think only you can understand. Yet you seem to forget that the millions of others out there just like you, think just like you, act just like you, and appear just like you to all the intelligent humans in the world. Somebody the team you proclaim to be your idol will never meet, never know about, and never care about as a single person. They only care about you, because you fit in with the other millions that shower "your" team with time and money. You, Mister, are nothing but a fan - nothing more.

What in the world is wrong with so many people? If you like watching people beat the crap out of each other, go watch "Bumfights" on YouTube. Funny thing is, since when did Dr. Phil dismiss a football player off his show for being sick, twisted, and disgusting? Never.

Mir

RE: America's Addiction To Sports

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:13 pm

Quoting Bagpiper (Thread starter):
Note the "we". Why the heck say "we"!? You, Mr. Fan, did nothing at all. You were staring at the TV, cheering like a mad man for pixels moving around on a plasma screen. You, sir, were sitting on your lazy butt, shouting your lungs out inbetween bites of pizza, for some guy you never met, and never will meet. You are exactly that - a fan. One of the millions of others just like you. Some self-proclaimed expert of the team you have seen, at best, from 300 yards away, after paying good money to go shout and scream at. My neighbors dog gives better responses to being shouted at. Some team that you swear you will never miss a game of on TV. Something you have bonded so close to, you think it is part of you - you say "we" and "us". You have a love/hate relationship with the team that you think only you can understand. Yet you seem to forget that the millions of others out there just like you, think just like you, act just like you, and appear just like you to all the intelligent humans in the world. Somebody the team you proclaim to be your idol will never meet, never know about, and never care about as a single person. They only care about you, because you fit in with the other millions that shower "your" team with time and money. You, Mister, are nothing but a fan - nothing more.

You, mister, just don't get it. Which is ok, because there are millions of others out there just like you.  

Also forgot to mention: it's not just the US that has an addiction to sports.

-Mir

[Edited 2007-11-12 12:20:25]
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Toast

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:18 pm

Believe me-it's not just the US. All you need is two guys, two beers, and a TV and you'll obtain the same results in any place on Earth.

All the better for the handful of us who hate sports - guess who we're entertaining while their husbands are all busy cheering at a boring game on a screen. Big grin

Thanks for posting an anti-sports rant - I would have done it myself but I wasn't prepared to face the inevitable flames of macho fury.  bigthumbsup   flamed 
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

bagpiper

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:19 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
You, mister, just don't get it. Which is ok, because there are millions more like you.

And I'd prefer to stay this way.  Wink

Oh, I forgot to add an "/rant" to the bottom of my post. Oh well. I think most people will understand that it is.. well.. understood.

LHMark

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:21 pm

Jeez, remind me never to go drinking with Bagpiper  Smile
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

IFEMaster

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:21 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
You, mister, just don't get it. Which is ok, because there are millions more like you.

In soccer, it's called being the 12th man. Try going to Old Trafford or Anfield or Highbury (okay, "Emirates Stadium) or City Ground or Insert-Successful-Soccer-Team-Here and telling the crowd that they haven't been a part of a team's success.

Even managers and players will acknowledge the 12th man effect; getting a good crowd behind you and lifting the atmosphere can change the way players play.

[Edited 2007-11-12 12:22:16]
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

AirframeAS

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:22 pm

Note the "we". Why the heck say "we"!? You, Mr. Fan, did nothing at all. You were staring at the TV, cheering like a mad man for pixels moving around on a plasma screen. You, sir, were sitting on your lazy butt, shouting your lungs out inbetween bites of pizza, for some guy you never met, and never will meet. You are exactly that - a fan. One of the millions of others just like you. Some self-proclaimed expert of the team you have seen, at best, from 300 yards away, after paying good money to go shout and scream at. My neighbors dog gives better responses to being shouted at. Some team that you swear you will never miss a game of on TV. Something you have bonded so close to, you think it is part of you - you say "we" and "us". You have a love/hate relationship with the team that you think only you can understand. Yet you seem to forget that the millions of others out there just like you, think just like you, act just like you, and appear just like you to all the intelligent humans in the world. Somebody the team you proclaim to be your idol will never meet, never know about, and never care about as a single person. They only care about you, because you fit in with the other millions that shower "your" team with time and money. You, Mister, are nothing but a fan - nothing more

checkmark  AMEN! I have said this alot in the NCAA threads...ALOT! And I got flamed for it pretty badly. I dont understand why the fans always say 'we' when they didn't even play in the game at all.

Common sense would say "They won, you just watched."
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

WellHung

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:22 pm

And as you were watching planes take off and land while judging others, the folks watching the game might have been thinking "what kind of dork watches planes take off and land when a good football game is on? Thousands of planes take off and land every day - what is the big deal?"

But more likely, they were minding their own business and allowing people to enjoy whatever they want without prejudice.

[Edited 2007-11-12 12:24:35]

bagpiper

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:24 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 5):
Even managers and players will acknowledge the 12th man effect; getting a good crowd behind you and lifting the atmosphere can change the way players play.

over TV? I believe IFE stands for "In flight entertainment". If you are a Master at it, I'd hope you'd know TV's don't relay information such as that.

Sure, I'll buy that if they are live, in the stands. I enjoy a few games every now and then while in a stadium. But watching it on a frickin TV!?

[note - no personal attack on you, IFEMaster. I hold you in great respect as one of the greatest members of the board]

[Edited 2007-11-12 12:32:12]

LOT767-300ER

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:28 pm

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 8):
over TV? I believe IFE stands for "In flight entertainment". If you are a Master at it, I'd hope you'd know TV's don't relay information such as that.

Oh my.

Gman94

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:31 pm

ure, I'll buy that if they are live, in the stands. I enjoy a few games every now and then while in a stadium. But watching it on a frickin TV!?

So it's ok to say 'We won' if your in the stadium but the next week you can't go to a game and watch it on TV you have to say 'They won' even though you support the team. Also people feel they are part of the team they support because that's what they do 'support'. I buy match tickets, the new jerseys, shout and cheer when they win and feel down when we lose, I say 'we won' or 'we lost' becasue I as a fan is as much a part of the team as anyone else involved in the club. If you don't get it that's fine but why whine about it or lecture us on how we should support our teams?

[Edited 2007-11-12 12:32:34]
British Airways - The Way To Fly

IFEMaster

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:35 pm

I believe IFE stands for "In flight entertainment". If you are a Master at it, I'd hope you'd know TV's don't relay information such as that.

Oh, the sarcasm and irony drip from your posts. Funny guy.

over TV?

TV has nothing to do with behaviour. The fact is that I am as much in to a game when I'm sitting in the stands as I am when I'm sitting in front of my TV. I yell at the ref. I scream at the linesmen. I hurl abuse at David Beckham. Essentially, my behavior doesn't change all that much between the two venues. I support the team emphatically, and let's face it...without my season ticket money, and the money of all the other ticket holders, plus the money spent on merchandise and beer and pies, there wouldn't be much of a team. So "we" are as much a part of the success as those on the grass.

Quote:
[note - no personal attack on you, IFEMaster. I hold you in great respect as one of the greatest members of the board]

No personal attack recognized, but thanks for clarifying...geez, for a.net, that wasn't anywhere near an attack...just a mere friendly pat on the back  biggrin .

[Edited 2007-11-12 12:38:35]
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

Tom in NO

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:38 pm

America's Addiction To Sports

"We're too young for sex.....we gotta have something to do!"

Signed,
94% of US sports lovin' a.net users
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

flight152

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:39 pm

Note the "we". Why the heck say "we"!? You, Mr. Fan, did nothing at all. You were staring at the TV, cheering like a mad man for pixels moving around on a plasma screen

Jesus, chill out.

bagpiper

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:40 pm

I think you misunderstood me. Sorry. What I meant:

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 5):
getting a good crowd behind you and lifting the atmosphere can change the way players play.

For all they know, there could be 50 million watching on TV, or 0 watching. They don't know. The cameras may give that effect, but the actual viewers don't, at least directly.

Mir

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:40 pm

Sure, I'll buy that if they are live, in the stands. I enjoy a few games every now and then while in a stadium. But watching it on a frickin TV!?

Again, you don't get it. Even on TV you can still feel connected to the team.

I can't criticize you for not being a sports fan, but by the same token I don't think you should really be critical of how people feel about their teams. It's different preferences, that's all.

Unless you want to hear my opinion on bagpipes.  mischievous 

-Mir

bagpiper

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:42 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 15):

Unless you want to hear my opinion on bagpipes.

go ahead

:-P

Quoting Mir (Reply 15):

I can't criticize you for not being a sports fan, but by the same token I don't think you should really be critical of how people feel about their teams. It's different preferences, that's all.

Most of this forum is criticizing.  Wink

Mir

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:53 pm

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 16):
go ahead

Actually, I don't mind them at all (I do think they've become a bit cliche), but I know some people that hate them virulently. The point is that we all have our passions in life, and we shouldn't judge the passions of others lest we be judged on our own.

-Mir

plateman

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:36 pm

Thank you for that first post .Two of my college roommates are like that, screaming at it. "We messed up, etc." They also have the TV so loud that i feel I am in the stadium.

Drives me absolutely nuts. The player can't hear you screaming at them. They don't care. Stop screaming, sit down adn shut up.
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

JGPH1A

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:07 pm

Note the "we". Why the heck say "we"!?

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 6):
"They won, you just watched."

Well said, gentlemen. I have this argument every time the sodding World Cup of is on, disrupting the TV schedule and causing random citizens to drive round the square outside my flat hooting their stupid Renault Twingo horns and shouting like lunatics. It's a fucking game !! The universe will not divert from its course one micrometre as a result. SA Czech Airlines">OK I was glad SA won the Rugby, but I didn't watch the actual game. Just tell me the result, I'll let you know if I care.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ebs757

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:19 pm

you my friend...need to get out of the house more often if your making a post about how arrogant people are for having a passion with sports.
Viva la Vida

bagpiper

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:21 pm

Quoting Ebs757 (Reply 20):
you my friend...need to get out of the house more often if your making a post about how arrogant people are for having a passion with sports.

lol.

I've been told to get out of the house more quite a bit. Funny thing is, I've done more "out of the house" stuff than most kids my age, who, I might mention, are quite addicted to sports.

Blackbird

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:28 pm

I always thought we were addicted to simply different sports.

The Europeans love their football/soccer fanatically by the way, the Brits love their rugby and stuff.

Us Americans like Basketball, and American Football, and suprizingly a lot of people like baseball which I fail to grasp... strikes me as boring.

Andrea Kent

ScarletHarlot

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:33 pm

Note the "we". Why the heck say "we"!? You, Mr. Fan, did nothing at all.

I have to agree with you here. I always smirk when I see guys in the stands giving each other high fives as if they actually DID something other than spend money, sit on their ass, drink, jump up, and shout.

I don't even say 'we won' in curling when the team from my club wins the nationals. "Larway won" or "Clark won" or whoever, but not 'we'. I didn't have anything to do with their success directly. Sure, I pay my membership dues that maintain the club and I volunteer tons of hours at the club, all of which contribute to their winning, because without dues or volunteers the club wouldn't exist. And I cheer them on and watch their game scores on the Internet and shake their hands when they return to the club. But *I* didn't go out there and curl or coach them. They did it themselves.
But that was when I ruled the world

FlyDeltaJets87

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:37 pm

Because "Life happens 10 yards at a time" and there's no other way to put it. You don't get it and that's fine. Everyone has their clicks. But to think America is any different is just ignorant to history. Sports have long been an important part of history, from the Ancient Greeks and Romans to the Indians in North America. It's just now with tv and the internet, people can be sports fanatics at places other than the stadium.

I live for sports. However, I can't afford to go to all the games. Plus, living in other parts of the country then where my teams play, that makes it kind of difficult as well. Not to mention stadiums only hold so many people. So following it on the tv, or on the internet when it's not on tv, is the next best option. Yay for technology. I even time manage to get my homework done during the early parts of the week and weekend so I can enjoy NFL Football on Sunday.

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 14):
For all they know, there could be 50 million watching on TV, or 0 watching. They don't know. The cameras may give that effect, but the actual viewers don't, at least directly.

If that's the case why air anything over tv (or even radio)? The people broadcasting don't know if there's 50 million people listening or 0 listening to their news broadcast or their concert or their talk show. So what't the point of tv period?

You, sir, were sitting on your lazy butt, shouting your lungs out inbetween bites of pizza, for some guy you never met, and never will meet.

Um, I've met professional athletes before.

Quoting WellHung (Reply 7):
And as you were watching planes take off and land while judging others, the folks watching the game might have been thinking "what kind of dork watches planes take off and land when a good football game is on? Thousands of planes take off and land every day - what is the big deal?"

checkmark  That sounds about right.
I hope our friend Bagpiper didn't bother to watch any footage of the first A380 flights or the retiring of the Concorde or the rollout of the Boeing 787.
See his comment below:

Quoting Toast (Reply 2):
All the better for the handful of us who hate sports - guess who we're entertaining while their husbands are all busy cheering at a boring game on a screen.

You see. That's why you get a girlfriend who's into sports as well.  Smile
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

JGPH1A

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:58 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 24):
Sports have long been an important part of history, from the Ancient Greeks and Romans to the Indians in North America.

Um, yes. The slaves were freed because Lincoln needed to boost college basketball. Columbus sailed west in search of the perfect golf swing. Hitler invaded Poland to disrupt their ice-hockey training schedule.

Not really  Yeah sure
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

FlyDeltaJets87

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:11 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 25):
Um, yes. The slaves were freed because Lincoln needed to boost college basketball. Columbus sailed west in search of the perfect golf swing. Hitler invaded Poland to disrupt their ice-hockey training schedule.

Comparing them on that scale is just ludicrous but to deny the importance of the Gladiator Games in the Coliseum or the Chariot Races at Circus Maximus had on Roman history or the importance of the Olympic Games in Greek history and now sports in the modern era is just ignorant as well.

LAXspotter

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:15 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 26):
Comparing them on that scale is just ludicrous but to deny the importance of the Gladiator Games in the Coliseum or the Chariot Races at Circus Maximus had on Roman history or the importance of the Olympic Games in Greek history and now sports in the modern era is just ignorant as well.

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 25):

Not really

how the hell did we get to this  Silly

Addiction to sports has nothing to do with Nationality. It's not only unique the US, if you go to India and Pakistan the sport of Cricket is like a religion, people swear by it. If you go to Brazil, people are nuts for Soccer just as in Mexico and Argentina. IMO there are far more crazy sports fans in other countries than here. Right now, the biggest craze sweeping any nation is China and Basketball, and the latest craze involving two of the premier Chinese NBA players. The last game had a viewership of almost 300 million people.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

halls120

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:20 pm

What is with America's addiction to sports? Maybe other countries have the same problem - but I have really noticed it a lot in the US.

I can tell you must not read the international news very often.

Quote:
An Italian soccer fan was killed Sunday during a clash with rival team supporters at a highway rest stop, and local news reports said authorities were investigating whether the victim might have been killed by a stray police warning shot.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/11/11/football.shooting.ap/
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

JGPH1A

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:24 pm

the importance of the Gladiator Games in the Coliseum or the Chariot Races at Circus Maximus had on Roman history

Their "importance" was to be the second half of panem et circenses - to keep the illiterate and unemployed non-slave masses amused for large portions of the year, to take their minds off the fact that they were a) illiterate and b) unemployed. Despite being both, they had the vote, and politicians then, as now, knew how to appeal to the lowest common denominator, which then, as now, involved a maximum of bloodshed and a minimum of multi-syllable words. Ice-hockey, but with sand.

The Olympic games were also just a blip every four years, a brief truce in the never-ending internecine warfare in Greece and surroundings. They were later resuscitated and hijacked by Rome to prove their inherent superiority, but they were never historically anything but a footnote.

FlyDeltaJets87

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:26 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 27):
how the hell did we get to this

From my observation here that JGPH1A managed to really put a spin on, which is most certainly evident by quoting what I said the way he did (leaving off the second part of that paragraph).

But to think America is any different is just ignorant to history. Sports have long been an important part of history, from the Ancient Greeks and Romans to the Indians in North America. It's just now with tv and the internet, people can be sports fanatics at places other than the stadium.

steeler83

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:49 pm

Funny you bring up Pittsburgh and the Steelers. We are proud and devoted Steeler fans. We support our team like no other in the league. In fact, there was a survey taken not that long ago, and it basically says that Pittsburgh is the home of the most devoted fans to their home team.

As my screenname on here would suggest, I am a very die hard fan. I know I am nothing more than just a die hard fan, but if you were to walk into any pub in London or Rome, you'd see the same as die hard fans would cheer on their Futball teams, UK and Italy respectively. I had a professor in college who would have good or bad days based on how the UK Futball team did. It's not just Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Cleveland, the rest of the country or North America, it is global...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Braybuddy

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:51 pm

It's not just the US. When I was a kid, football was a Saturday thing. Now it seems to be every day of the week. It's not the reason I don't have a TV, but it sure makes me glad I don't have one when various World Cups and tournaments are on. I just don't get it: I can understand people playing football, rugby etc, but WATCHING others play sports? Trying to follow some guys kick a ball (don't even start me on golf!) around an oversized patch of grass? Looks like Groundhog Day to me.

I dread every leap year when there is the threat of Ireland playing in the football World Cup. Thankfully we missed out on the last one. The country collectively loses it when we're in. Just what gets into people every four years? It really gets up people's noses when I laugh if we get kicked out, and I love the notoriety.

Maybe I just have a low boredom threshold and couldn't be arsed sitting in front of screen for and ninety minutes (it is ninety minutes, isn't it?) watching half-naked men running around. There are DVDs I can buy for THAT sort of thing . . .I often wonder if football is a safety valve for latent homosexuality in the male population. All that male-male adulation and hero worship. Maybe it does serve a purpose after all.

Sport has its place, but it's now playing a HUGE part in the dumbing down of society. I work with guys who live, talk and breathe football, who immediately turn to the back pages of the paper, sometimes to the exclusion of the rest of the news. And the sad thing is, they don't realise how much crap they fill their minds with.

Great thread BTW, and great to see there are others out there who just don't get it.

tsaord

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:01 am

People say "we" in sports because that team may represent them. For example the Chicago Bears represent the city of Chicago, possibly the state of IL as a whole in the NFL. They are "our" team. In a sense when they play they represent our city and our people.

People find sports exciting.

Take it from someone who just two years ago was anti sport almost. The only thing I liked was the WWE lol. I started watching the NFL last year when the bears were on a roll and I just got caught up in the excitment of it, the emotion, the big plays, the player reactions after the game. Sports in general is entertainment!

I do not see why other parts of the world enjoys "Futbol" nor do I seek an explanation from them. It's apart of their culture which has developed since before most of us were born! Also, we get to see how human talent can take people to new heights and do amazing things.
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

Braybuddy

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:11 am

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 33):
They are "our" team. In a sense when they play they represent our city and our people.

What cracks me up is the way Manchester United and Liverpool have a huge following here (go figure!) among certain sections of the male population, and the way they talk about "us" and "we", when referring to either team. A lot of them would never have set foot in either city.

And the same guys would be the first to cheer if England got booted out of the World Cup. Again, go figure . . .

[Edited 2007-11-12 16:13:07]

flymia

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:44 am

America's addiction? If I remember right in some South America Country a football (soccer) goalie was murdered because he made a self goal in an important match. People have died in other countries because of fans going crazy in sporting events. This is very rare in the US. Americans do love their sports just as much as any other country does. Its a sense of pride for your favourite team, school, home town, home country etc.. Its great and alot of fun. I played alot of sports in high school, so I know whats its all about and how much fun playing and watching sports is. But its NOT a American Problem at all. Well really its not a problem at all.
You just dont get it which is fine there are many people that are not fans of sports, but its a pretty normal thing.

Note the "we". Why the heck say "we"!?

What else should we say? I think is alot easier to say: "we need to start playing better." Than saying: The Miami Dolphins need to play better" If your talking about one team than why not just say we its just something that evolved to be normal when talking about sports.
People like different things. Just like we are all on here on airliners.net for are love of aviation the majority of people think it is weird to go on a website and talk about planes airlines and airports. Some people think its crazy for a 35 year guy to have 35 model planes, but most of us here think it is normal. Just like you think watching sports is crazy I might saying playing chess two hours a day is crazy but I would not criticize someone for doing something they love to do.

What in the world is wrong with so many people? If you like watching people beat the crap out of each other, go watch "Bumfights" on YouTube. Funny thing is, since when did Dr. Phil dismiss a football player off his show for being sick, twisted, and disgusting? Never.

Actually I think the majority of the population of the world will say What in the world is wrong with YOU.  alert 
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:50 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 35):
South America Country a football (soccer) goalie was murdered because he made a self goal in an important match. People have died in other countries because of fans going crazy in sporting events. This is very rare in the US

I agree but there is a difference. Most other countries have a national following and root behind their national teams. From personal experience, if India loses a cricket match to Pakistan, its a shame and the crickets players are burned in effigy. If a player in America does something detrimental for his team, people usually forget about it, we dont have time to burn players in effigy  Big grin and it would probably take a lot of time to get the permit to burn someone in effigy.  Big grin The US has a divide amongst people who give a damn about sports and those who dont. Others dont have a choice in sports-crazed countries. You're just into it.

bagpiper

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:10 am

Ok, settle down. I didn't mean to imply the US is the only country with avid sports fans - but I haven't been out of the country for several years (bummer!), and I've started noticing this recently. And no, I don't follow sports news, so I didn't know about murdered goalies, etc. I'm only going on personal experience.

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 35):
What in the world is wrong with YOU

Quite a bit, actually  Wink

Falcon84

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:13 am

The Pittsburgh Steelers were playing some other football team (please, don't enlighten me. I don't care who it was),

I don't care if you don't want to be enlightened or not, because I will anyway: it was MY TEAM (yes, MY team), the Cleveland Browns. So there. You can get pissed about that now.

What in the world is wrong with so many people?

Could say the same thing about you, sport. What is wrong with YOU, that you don'f follow sports? But you'd take offense to that, wouldn't you? Many of us have followed teams all our lives, and we really don't need to be lectured by sports-deficient malcontents.

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 3):
Quoting Mir (Reply 1):

And I'd prefer to stay this way.

Good. And I'd prefer to stay the way I am-someone who fervently follows MY teams. Yes-MY teams.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 6):
AMEN! I have said this alot in the NCAA threads...ALOT! And I got flamed for it pretty badly. I dont understand why the fans always say 'we' when they didn't even play in the game at all.

Then why the hell do you even get involved in sports' threads? If you don't like it, that's fine, but do you REALLY feel the need to shit on everyone else's parade because WE like sports? Start your own thread if you don't like it, so we can ignore it.

As for the author's apparent coronary because we call teams "our team", and hope that "we play better." First, why does it bother you? You don't like sports to begin with. Secondly, most of us have followed teams for years and years-since we were kids, so much that we wear jerseys, collect sports items, so they are, in many ways, OUR teams. We live and die with them each game. That's why the Browns, the Cavaliers, the Indians, the Buckeyes, etc are MY teams-because I've rooted for them for 40 years. And if you don't like that, well, that's just too bad.

Look, if you don't like sports, that's fine. I think you're kind of nuts if you don't like sports, but it's no skin off my nose. But don't go telling those of us who have a passion for it that we're wrong or nuts. We think YOUR nuts, so stay our of our way, let us cheer OUR teams when they win, and lace profanity when they fuck up. Fair enough?  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

LH423

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:15 am

I think there's a difference between playing an infamous role in history and playing an integral role. While we can speculate all day, there's nothing to suggest that history would be altered much if Rome didn't have the Coliseum or the Greeks didn't start the Olympics. Of course, life would be much more boring. I'm not really disagreeing with you but let's not go overboard with their importance.

I only draw the line when fan celebration turns violent or destructive. Though I will agree if you're sitting somewhere near a bar that's full of people watching a game it can be a little startling if you're not paying attention.

As for the "we" thing. Well, it's in many respects, the same way that employ the "we" when referring to actions our respective countries take. Even if it's not something that one is personally doing. It's a collective. I don't think anyone, for a single moment, when referring to "their" team as "we" believes they played a part in that victory but the fact is people identify themselves with their teams. Most sports fans have a passion for their team and as a fan see their team as, in a way, belonging to them. It's a part of your identity. I, for one, am guilty of doing that when referring to "my" teams.

However, as many have noted, this is not an American thing. It's very much a global thing. And it's not for everyone.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Falcon84

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:22 am

Um, I've met professional athletes before.

Let's see. The ones I know I've met:

Michael Jordan
Muhammad Ali
George Brett
Bob Feller
Albert Belle
Bill Walton
Fausto Carmona
Kenny Lofton
A ton of WWE guys (including Chris Benoit)
Roberto Clemente
Manny Sanguillen
LeRoy Kelly

I'm sure I've met more than that over the years.
Work Right, Fly Hard

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:22 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 38):
As for the author's apparent coronary because we call teams "our team", and hope that "we play better." First, why does it bother you? You don't like sports to begin with. Secondly, most of us have followed teams for years and years-since we were kids, so much that we wear jerseys, collect sports items, so they are, in many ways, OUR teams. We live and die with them each game. That's why the Browns, the Cavaliers, the Indians, the Buckeyes, etc are MY teams-because I've rooted for them for 40 years. And if you don't like that, well, that's just too bad.

damn I agree with you whole-heartedly  Confused  bigthumbsup   highfive 

steeler83

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:34 am

I don't care if you don't want to be enlightened or not, because I will anyway: it was MY TEAM (yes, MY team), the Cleveland Browns. So there. You can get pissed about that now.

I applaud you man! You are a very proud Cleveland fan and it shows, and you're a good one and not one of those sore fans that has to resort to name calling at other people's teams and/or cities. I am a Steelers fan and I am damn proud of it, even though we keep losing to the likes of New England and will probably fall to them next month.

Could say the same thing about you, sport. What is wrong with YOU, that you don'f follow sports? But you'd take offense to that, wouldn't you? Many of us have followed teams all our lives, and we really don't need to be lectured by sports-deficient malcontents.

I just had to laugh out loud at this post. Way to tell it bro! Without sports, what would we do? I have grown up watching the Steelers, and I am sure you've done the same with the Browns. You know, I think we should have a few sports-oriented threads on here. It sure beats the moronic degenerate intellectually-impaired saplings on foxsports.com and the like. If you or I were to join any of those blogs, the average IQ would likely triple...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Falcon84

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:36 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 42):
Without sports, what would we do?

Get more sex?  Big grin

Hey, what IS wrong with us?  rotfl 
Work Right, Fly Hard

steeler83

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:58 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 43):
Get more sex?

Hey, what IS wrong with us?

I don't think there's anything wrong with us. Heck, our teams are doing pretty damned good this season and we don't want to miss any comments about our teams, even if most of it is inane dimwitted blather about, "oh, the Steelers are too inconsistent to go deep in the playoffs," or "The Browns will release Anderson after this season..." I have high doubts that they'd actually do that...

Pardon this slight change in subject, but this is why the Pirates will remain as the toilet bowl to MLB. They trade all the good players away for washed-up old timers with absolutely no value what-so-ever. They traded Jason Kendell 2 years ago for what, 2 over-the-hill pitchers with an ERA beyond laughable. If the Pirates are trying to assemble the worst baseball club next to the Phillies, they're certainly on the fast-track to do so! The Pirates are to MLB what the Dolphins are to this year's NFL...

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting LH423 (Reply 39):
I think there's a difference between playing an infamous role in history and playing an integral role. While we can speculate all day, there's nothing to suggest that history would be altered much if Rome didn't have the Coliseum or the Greeks didn't start the Olympics. Of course, life would be much more boring. I'm not really disagreeing with you but let's not go overboard with their importance.

You are correct. I couldn't think of the right word at the time (integral) so I went with what was in my mind at the time- "important". But my overall point stands. Sports fanatics are nothing new to mankind and neither is sports in general.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 43):
Get more sex?

Hey, what IS wrong with us?

Like the Corrs Light Commercial
Fan: "Coach, our girlfriends think we talk about football too much"
Parcells- "That's a good thing"

What is wrong with YOU, that you don'f follow sports?

"Life Happens 10 Yards at a Time", right Falcon?  biggrin 

Between Hockey, Football, and Baseball, there is at least one sport going on at some point during the year to keep me going.  Smile And from an entertainment standpoint, sports is far better than the exciting world of celebrities or anything else on tv. Lately, minus a few minutes of Fox or CNN I happen to catch in the cafeteria, the only news station I watch is ESPN because A) I don't care about Britney Spears or whomever's drug problems and B) they're the only news station that seems to get the news accurate these days. TV shows are all the same these days and the outcome is predictable. With sports, unless you're watching the Miami Dolphins, the outcome is unknown.  wink 

bagpiper

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:35 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 45):
And from an entertainment standpoint, sports is far better than the exciting world of celebrities or anything else on tv

hence why my TV is only on for movies  Wink

Keeps the cable bill down... i.e. at $0.

scottieprecord

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:41 am

That was such a freakin amazing game!! lol I like how Ben just tackled the guy next to him when the Brown's missed the field goal

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:43 am

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 46):
hence why my TV is only on for movies

Ah, but some football games and other sports are broadcast on major networks, which you can pick-up with a set of antennas- ie, free. Also, you can go to sports bars that get the fooball packages, and they're footing the bill for that. You can also follow sports online, which you already show you pay for. And there's radio, which is also free. So yea. Your excuse is void.  wink 

deltagator

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:46 am

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 46):
hence why my TV is only on for movies

Based on a few things...

1 - Your age range being 16-20.
2 - You don't like sports.
3 - You leave your TV on movie channels.

I must ask if those movies are grainy images of scrambled porn? Is that your cable bill or daddy's? Fess up Bagpiper!
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."