dragon-wings

MLB Post Season Awards

Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:20 pm

MLB has started giving out it's post season awards. Here are the winners so far..........

AL Rookie of the Year - Dustin Pedroia (Boston Red Sox)
NL Rookie of the Year - Ryan Braun (Milwaukee Brewers)

AL Cy Young Award - C.C. Sabathia (Cleveland Indians)

AL Gold glove award - Ichiro Suzuki (OF), Torii Hunter (OF), Grady Sizemore (OF), Adrian Beltre (3B), Orlando Cabrera (SS), Placido Polanco (2B), Kevin Youkilis (1B), Ivan Rodriguez (C), Johan Santana (P)

NL Gold Glove Award - David Wright (3B), Carlos Beltran (OF), Orlando Hudson (2B), Aaron Rowand (OF), Andruw Jones (OF), Jeff Francouer (OF), Russell Martin (C), Derrek Lee (1B), Jimmy Rollins (SS), Greg Maddux (P)

The rest of the awards will be given out this week.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

allstarflyer

RE: MLB Post Season Awards

Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:30 pm

Quoting Dragon-wings (Thread starter):
AL Cy Young Award - C.C. Sabathia (Cleveland Indians)

As much as I pushed that Beckett would win, I was reminded today that Sabathia didn't have the run support that Beckett did. I'm glad, though, on a separate note, that a BoSox pitcher didn't win the award.
Living the American Dream

AirCop

Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:32 pm

The only one that I believe shouldn't be on the list is Andruw Jones, he's living on his past. Speaking of past, Greg Maddux is probably going to collect Golden Glove Awards after he retires, how many in a row for him now?

dragon-wings

Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:13 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 2):
Speaking of past, Greg Maddux is probably going to collect Golden Glove Awards after he retires, how many in a row for him now?

I don't know how many in a row, but he won a total of 17.

CastleIsland

Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:17 pm

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 1):
I was reminded today that Sabathia didn't have the run support that Beckett did.

And I was reminded today that Sabathia pitched approximately 85 innings against teams with a winning record, and his ERA for those innings was around 3.30. Beckett pitched approximately 118 innnings against teams with a winning record, and his ERA for those innings was around 2.80.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

WellHung

Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:33 pm

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 4):
And I was reminded today that Sabathia pitched approximately 85 innings against teams with a winning record, and his ERA for those innings was around 3.30. Beckett pitched approximately 118 innnings against teams with a winning record, and his ERA for those innings was around 2.80.

Here goes Chowd Nation again... this time regurgitating manipulated stats they picked up from the local sports radio windbags. I was unaware "ERA vs. Teams With Winning Records" is criteria for the Cy Young award. You were 'reminded' as if you knew this in the first place - do you keep this stuff in a spreadsheet on your computer?  sarcastic 

The award could have easily gone to either Sabathia or Beckett. Looking at the unmanipulated stats, both are pretty much even.

CastleIsland

Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:03 pm

Quoting WellHung (Reply 5):
You were 'reminded' as if you knew this in the first place - do you keep this stuff in a spreadsheet on your computer?

No, I was couching my response in the form of what I was quoting. We can't be sure that Allstarflyer knew the Beckett had better run support than CC either.

I was unaware "ERA vs. Teams With Winning Records" is criteria for the Cy Young award.

No, but Quality Starts is a criterion. And I would argue that ERA vs. winning teams is far more significant than quality starts against teams like Kansas City, Tampa Bay, etc.

The award could have easily gone to either Sabathia or Beckett. Looking at the unmanipulated stats, both are pretty much even.

I agree, and I think Sabathia is deserving of the award. As you state, they were pretty much even. Then how come the voting was so lopsided in favor of Sabathia?
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

dragon-wings

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:17 pm

Two more awards were given out todday.

AL Manager of the Year - Eric Wedge (Cleveland Indians)

NL Manager of the Year - Bob Melvin (Arizona Diamondbacks)

The NL Cy Young Award will be announced Thursday.

AirCop

Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:07 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 7):
NL Manager of the Year - Bob Melvin (Arizona Diamondbacks)

Took a team with 7 first or second starters to the National League Championship series with no one having a career season. Now to see what he can do with the D-Backs next season or will it just be a one season fluke.

Falcon84

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:21 am

The award could have easily gone to either Sabathia or Beckett.

Add John Lackey and Fausto Carmona to that list as well. I didn't think Fausto would get it, not in his first full year in the bigs (almost full year, that is), but I could have lived with either of those four getting the award. You can split hairs between C.C. and Beckett, they both had outstanding years.

And kudo's to Eric Wedge for winning the A.L. Manager of the Year. I'm not the biggest Wedge fan in the world, and thinks he doesn't a great job with the pitching staff, but he helps keep the Indians on an even keel. He definitely deserved it.
Work Right, Fly Hard

dragon-wings

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:48 pm

NL Cy Young Award - Jake Peavy (San Diego Padres)

He beat out Brandon Webb by 66 points.

AirCop

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:54 pm

Jake Peavy for the national league Cy Young was a no-brainer, the guy was on fire all season.