RicciPettit
Topic Author

Canadians Lose A 80ft Barosaurus

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:51 pm

Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either!

Kieron747

RE: Canadians Lose A 80ft Barosaurus

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:56 pm

rotfl 

This adds so much weight to the old phrase "you'll always find it in the last place you look".  Wink

Kieron
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

Arrow

Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:12 pm

New motto for the Royal Ontario Museum:

"The thigh bone's connected to the, hip bone ...
Dem bones, dem bones, dem, dry bones..."
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

L-188

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:38 am

Quoting Arrow (Reply 2):
"The thigh bone's connected to the, hip bone ...
Dem bones, dem bones, dem, dry bones..."

The Canadian Museum version of the Sea Galley song??

"We've got Dino legs, We've got Dino legs"
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

NeilYYZ

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:48 am

Cut us a break, we were just way too busy allowing Daniel Leibskind to design some God awful addition to an otherwise nice building  Wink
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

scrubbsywg

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:38 am

hey, its a big country.

and the addition to the ROM is quite impressive! i was just walking by the other day and quite enjoyed it.

NeilYYZ

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:00 am

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 5):
and the addition to the ROM is quite impressive!

Daniel Leibskind's designs seem to be love 'em or hate 'em. I just finished a paper on him as a postmodern archiect. He's designs are unique to say the least.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

scrubbsywg

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:12 am

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 6):
Daniel Leibskind's designs seem to be love 'em or hate 'em. I just finished a paper on him as a postmodern archiect. He's designs are unique to say the least.

that is the sense i get from many. Architecture is one of those things that the general public has a very different sense of what is 'good' versus people in the field(professional architects and critics), and even people within each group can disagree. Sometimes i don't quite get how my views can be so opposite of architects/critics. I always think i am missing something, or maybe i am stupid when it comes to architecture.

I found it impressive that it towered over the sidewalk, although the glazing could have been better, but it was dark out when i walked by. I'm no architect, haven't been inside the ROM, so i couldnt tell you how well it works, but i found i liked it by walking by. I enjoy juxtaposition of old and new, and if this project has anything, its that.

NeilYYZ

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:47 am

I know I'm going a bit off topic here but...

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 7):
I always think i am missing something, or maybe i am stupid when it comes to architecture.

I doubt your missing anything it's all in the eye of the beholder. Different types of architecture appeal to different types of people. I'm more a fan of Gothic architecture myself, older buildings, churches and the like. Although, since you appear to be familiar with Toronto, next time you're by the UofT library, it's supposed to be a peacock.

I enjoy juxtaposition of old and new, and if this project has anything, its that.

There's no doubt it has. Architecturally I respect Daniel Leibskiend, esthetically I don't really like him, but that's just me.

Sometimes i don't quite get how my views can be so opposite of architects/critics.

One of the criticisms of Postmodernist Architecture that arose in the early 1980's was that architecture had become too academic, and that architects had lost touch with what the majority of people considered to be nice. But architecture is just another form of art, some people love certain types, some people hate it.