AA7295
Topic Author

Chinese New Year In Singapore

Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:12 am

So I arrive in Hong Kong on the 2nd of February, and I have been in Asia before for Chinese New Year's and its horrible. No shops open, fireworks everywhere, dirty crowds etc. If I arrive on the 2nd of Feb and leave on the 7th of Feb (which is 2008 Chinese New Year) will I be immune from those problems for the first few days. My main question is shopping. Most shops are closed and I want to shop.

Also I get to Singapore on the 7th aswell (leave 8am and arrive 12pm). Will the shops in Singapore be closed that day, particularly those along Orchard Road?

Cheers,
AA7295

cabso1

RE: Chinese New Year In Singapore

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:22 am

I wish I could help you, and although I was in Singapore last year during the Chinese New Year time, I don't remember whether shops closed. I have a feeling though that shops are likely to be closed.

kiwiinoz

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:34 am

HK still most of the shops closed during the peak days. Bad time to come if you're interested in shopping. However, if you're keen on festivities, and food, it can be a great time to be in HK.

However I get from your e-mail that you're not that interested. Looking at your dates though you might be OK as the peak days are really 7, 8, 9

Singapore is probably a bit less affected in a retail sense. However you will be there at peak time for CNY.

Overall, I would recommend that if you have no interest in the culture/festivity, (and even, as you post described, you find it "horrible"), I would recommend changing the dates of your trip to a more shopper friendly time.

Cheers

AA7295
Topic Author

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:55 am

Is there a place where I can confirm if the shops in Singapore will be closed on the 7th February?