22right
Topic Author

Any Suggestions On Getting Rid Of Raccoons?

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:17 pm

Help!!! A freaking raccoon has decided to use a window well underneath our deck as convenient place to sleep. I have already called animal control and they laid a trap. Over the past few days, the trap caught 2 possums and another raccoon (but i think the raccoon who originally triggered the whole trap business is still free).

What are some options to get rid of those damn buggers? Or is trapping (and subsequent destruction) the only option?
"I never apologize! I am sorry, but that's the way it is!" - Homer Simpson

AR385

RE: Any Suggestions On Getting Rid Of Raccoons?

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:20 pm

Try rat-posion. Works every time.

22right
Topic Author

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:25 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 1):
Try rat-posion. Works every time.

What if the animal decides to crawl under my deck and die after consuming the rat poison? My deck is very low to the ground and only way to get rid of a carcass would be to rip out the boards and re-build the deck.

AR385

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:35 pm

Quoting 22right (Reply 2):
What if the animal decides to crawl under my deck and die after consuming the rat poison?

IIRC, rat poison works by eliminating the ability of the blood to coagulate. Thus, it's far more likely that the animal mummifies rather than decompose. So no smell there, but I'm not that sure. You can always try to fish out the carcass with a pole or hook?

TransIsland

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:38 pm

Why do you want to get rid of the raccoon? I have one under my roof, we get along just fine.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

TPAnx

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:23 am

Had one in my attic a couple of years ago. Rented a "have-a-heart" (live capture) trap..and baited it with cat food.
Caught the neighbor's cat..then nothing. On the day before the trap was to be returned ,called the trap guy. He said that while most people love a cup of coffee in the morning, he can't stand the stuff..and to try changing the bait. Used a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup..and nabbed rhe critter. I'd suggest that once you're rid of the problem..you make sure that
points of entry to your house are well-sealed. Our critter got into the attic by climbing a shrub..then getting through the screening in the soffit.
Good luck..
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

radarbeam

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:30 am

.22LR or .17 HMR should do the trick.

graphic

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:33 am

Why go through the trouble if its not hurting anything? They can be pretty effective at pest control.
Demand Media fails at life

N1120A

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:36 am

Quoting Graphic (Reply 7):
Why go through the trouble if its not hurting anything?

Raccoons can be pretty nasty animals, so they aren't exactly the pest control I would want around. A cat is at least as effective, a lot nicer to be around and don't carry rabies.

As to taking car of the critter, ever think of borrowing someone's alligator  Silly
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Type-Rated

Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:37 am

Put a cover or screen over the place the raccoon enters. Hopefully, it will go somewhere else. Or you could call a pest control company who will relocate it to some forested area.
Raccoons can be pretty nasty. They have claws like razors and can actually kill a dog the size of a Labrador. Cornering them seems to trigger this kind of defense. Fortunately, they tend to shy away from humans.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

tz757300

Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:42 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 3):
mummifies rather than decompose

That would be interesting I think.

Personally, not to harm the raccoon, but shoot BB's at it. It doesn't hurt it, but it deters it from coming back. Hell, I wouldn't want to go somewhere where I constantly got shot at.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

mham001

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:24 am

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 9):
Or you could call a pest control company who will relocate it to some forested area.

No pest company is going to relocate it. Raccoons are pack animals and territorial. Relocating a coon is the same as signing its death warrant - a slow cruel death. It is also illegal in most, if not all jurisdictions.
It's thought that 25% of all raccoons carry a disease (whos name I've forgotten) that will infect pets and children. A parasite that is carried through its feces. You really don't want this around.
You

N1120A

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:54 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 11):
It's thought that 25% of all raccoons carry a disease (whos name I've forgotten) that will infect pets and children. A parasite that is carried through its feces. You really don't want this around.

Baylisascaris procyonis, a type of Roundworm

DC10extender

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:57 am

Big version: Width: 400 Height: 335 File size: 22kb
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:58 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 12):
Baylisascaris procyonis, a type of Roundworm

how the hell did you know that? BTW, are racoons primarily scavengers?
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

N1120A

Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:00 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 14):

how the hell did you know that?

The wonders of Google  Wink

UH60FtRucker

Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:38 am

People are joking about it: but a serious answer is simply shooting them.

I have the same problem, except at the worse point we had about 10 of them around the house every night. They were eating the bird seeds on my wife's bird feeders.

First I tried scaring them away. No luck.

Then I tried "racoon-proofing" the bird feeders. No luck.

Then I tried trapping them, and relocating them far way. It worked, but they kept coming back! No luck.

Then I considered electrifying the traps, or electrifying the poles the feeders are attached to them. But my wife vetoed it.

SO.... I shoot them dead. I killed 4 of them, and the rest learned their lessons and no longer come around. The first time I shot one, I heard it on the back deck, ran upstairs and grabbed the first gun in my gun locker. I shot the thing with a 7.62 round. Big mistake. A red mist was all that remained. Plus the neighbor sh*t a brick. So the other four I took out with my Glock 9mm. With the Glock Tactical Light attached, it blinds the animals and creates a perfect motionless target. The second night I killed three in the space of 4 seconds. None of the rest ever returned.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

F9Animal

Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:09 am

We used to leave cat food outside our deck for a stray cat that we were feeding. One night, I reached over to pet the kitty as the kitty ate the food. The hair felt different. I looked down, and it was a friggin raccoon. I about broke my leg trying to run into the house. The raccoon just stood there looking at me like I was a dumb ass, and continued eating. I watched it out my window, and realized how lucky I was not to have gotten bitten or scratched up.

We removed the food, and we caught the stray cat and gave it away. We still see raccoons every now and then, but they don't cause us any issues. I would suggest the screen idea mentioned above. I have known people that have had raccoons as pets.... Not quite my idea of a house pet if you ask me.

GOOD LUCK!

[Edited 2007-11-20 01:10:22]
I Am A Different Animal!!

airfoilsguy

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:48 am

One of these usually does the trick. 3...2...1... Cue the PETA bleeding harts

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee154/airfoilsguy/gun.jpg?
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

22right
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:40 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions. Unfortunately, the shoot 'em idea is not going to work since I dont have any guns and dont intend to buy one.

I guess my best bet is to wait for this particular raccoon to get caught in the trap that the animal control guys have set up and then put a screen over the entrances into the area under the deck. Where can I find such screens and what do they look like?

ORFflyer

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:44 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 8):
Raccoons can be pretty nasty animals,

If provoked - but normally are fairly benign and don't bother anything.

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 11):
You really don't want this around.

I don't know - if it's causing problems like damaging your property or other pets, sure, get rid of it. We have a family of them living in the trees out back. We save all the table scraps and leave them outside every night for them. We've even sat outside within 10 - 15 feet while they ate. Afterwards, I started throwing them peanuts that we feed to the squirrels. They are nearly pets to us nowadays.

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 14):
are racoons primarily scavengers?

yes 

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 18):
Cue the PETA bleeding harts

I'm far from a PETA supporter, but unless they are damaging something, why bother getting rid of them?

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals.  bigthumbsup 

mham001

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:50 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 20):
I don't know - if it's causing problems like damaging your property or other pets, sure, get rid of it. We have a family of them living in the trees out back. We save all the table scraps and leave them outside every night for them. We've even sat outside within 10 - 15 feet while they ate. Afterwards, I started throwing them peanuts that we feed to the squirrels. They are nearly pets to us nowadays.

You will live to regret that. They will get quite aggressive if you ever stop feeding them and in fact what you are doing is generally illegal.

UH60FtRucker

Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:01 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 18):

No way!!! That round will simply punch in and out of that animal, and continue to go god knows where. Way too small and fast of a round.

It'll be like the same mistake I made, when I shot the first one with my M1! Except at least the M1 hits with a decent round, the .223 is a pitifully small round... it travels so fast, and is so small, it doesn't do a lot of damage.

But I think you and I have the same general idea: shoot the damn things.

-UH60

airfoilsguy

Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:06 pm

I'm far from a PETA supporter, but unless they are damaging something, why bother getting rid of them?

I don't go around shooting animals for the fun of it but if it is causing a problem it has to go.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

tz757300

Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:06 pm

Quoting 22right (Reply 19):
Where can I find such screens and what do they look like?

Any home improvement store will have them, and look like screen for windows and such. Personally, I'd buy chicken wire since its tough and cheap, but may not be tough enough to keep things out, but may provide enough deterrent so it doesn't feel like coming back.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

mham001

Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:14 pm

Nobody has mentioned electric fence chargers. They put out a low voltage, high amperage alternating currrent. This means it won't kill anything but will give a strong zap. Total cost for everything would be under $100 and about 2 hours to setup with a ground rod, etc. I've used one for years to keep dogs and goats in and other things out.

UH60FtRucker

Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:21 pm

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g52/UH60PilotIraq/Random%201/LargeRaccoonTrap1.jpg

Lowes Home Improvement for $49.99.

Place some food - preferably smelly food - in the far end of the trap, rig the trap door.... and when the critter steps on the pad, the door springs shut. And you have a trapped animal. Then you can relocate it elsewhere, or call animal control.

-UH60

Queso

Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:35 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 16):
I heard it on the back deck, ran upstairs and grabbed the first gun in my gun locker. I shot the thing with a 7.62 round. Big mistake. A red mist was all that remained.

You of all people should have known better than that.  ill 

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 16):
So the other four I took out with my Glock 9mm. With the Glock Tactical Light attached, it blinds the animals and creates a perfect motionless target. The second night I killed three in the space of 4 seconds.

I would have only taken 2 seconds if you'd have been shooting a Sig!  Wink

...or maybe a revolver....

Quoting 22right (Reply 19):
Unfortunately, the shoot 'em idea is not going to work since I dont have any guns and dont intend to buy one.

Borrow one. If you don't have the stomach to do it yourself go to a local gun store and hang around for a while. You'll find somebody that shoots varmints, buy him a six-pack and give him your address. Problem solved.

UH60FtRucker

Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:56 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 27):
I would have only taken 2 seconds if you'd have been shooting a Sig!

Pfff! At night, with 4 in motion targets, all moving in a scattered direction... ~4 seconds is decent!  Wink

Quoting Queso (Reply 27):
You of all people should have known better than that.  ill 

Yeah I know. I didn't expect them to remain sitting on the deck when I came around the back corner of the house. We have a large back yard and I wanted a rifle, so I could reach out and touch them. The M1 was the closest one. .30-06... big mistake.

You're absolutely right. I should have known better.  Sad

-UH60

ORFflyer

Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:46 pm

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 21):
You will live to regret that

Doubt it.....

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 21):
They will get quite aggressive if you ever stop feeding them and in fact what you are doing is generally illegal.

I'm not real concerned about an aggressive raccoon, IF it should get to that point. And how is anything illegal?

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 23):
I don't go around shooting animals for the fun of it but if it is causing a problem it has to go.

checkmark  I'll shoot a opossum dead in it's tracks. Now there's an aggressive animal, with a mouth full of sharp teeth!!  biggrin 

BigOrange

Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:13 pm

Ask your local vet or humane society if there is a wildlife rehabilitator in your area that will catch it humanely and let it loose somewhere nearby, but far enough that it won't come back to your house.

mham001

Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:40 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 29):

I'm not real concerned about an aggressive raccoon, IF it should get to that point. And how is anything illegal?

Willfully feeding wildlife is illegal in most if not all jurisdictions, and for very good reasons. You are having a detrimental effect on the balance of nature. When you feed them enough that they start having larger litters which leads to overpopulation, which leads to disease and rabies, YOU have created a hazard. I know you think it's cute but you clearly don't have the knowledge or experience to play with natures balance. What happens to the dependent animal when you move? You taking them with you?
When you run up against a very aggressive, very large and hungry male, you will be learn the value of being"concerned". Sure glad you're not my neighbor.

ORFflyer

Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:06 pm

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 31):
Willfully feeding wildlife is illegal in most if not all jurisdictions

redflag   redflag  No way. I don't think you have a clue as to what you are talking about. You're going to have to back that up with some sources.

I know you think it's cute but you clearly don't have the knowledge or experience to play with natures balance

You don't have a clue as to my knowledge, nor experience.

What happens to the dependent animal when you move?

They continue feeding in the wild, as they still do now. Our table scraps certainly do not provide enough for them to survive without their natural hunting abilities.

You taking them with you?

Nah - I'll find some new critters to befriend.

When you run up against a very aggressive, very large and hungry male, you will be learn the value of being"concerned"

Are you a wimp or what? Sheesh man, we're talking about raccoons here, not grizzlies.

Arrow

Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:23 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 3):
IIRC, rat poison works by eliminating the ability of the blood to coagulate. Thus, it's far more likely that the animal mummifies rather than decompose. So no smell there, but I'm not that sure. You can always try to fish out the carcass with a pole or hook?

True, but the poison also makes the animal thirsty as hell, so it will go looking for water and probably not make it back. We have rat traps outside because there's a serious rat problem in the woods, but I've never seen a dead rat -- despite the fact that the bait gets cleaned out all the time.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

BigOrange

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:37 pm

Ask your local vet or humane society if there is a wildlife rehabilitator in your area that will catch it humanely and let it loose somewhere nearby, but far enough that it won't come back to your house.

AR385

Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:04 pm

are having a detrimental effect on the balance of nature. When you feed them enough that they start having larger litters which leads to overpopulation, which leads to disease and rabies,

Not to mention the obesity problems created, that will eventually results in animals morbidly obese, lazy, with all sort of metabolic problems in the long run. Try Diabetes, chronic malnourishment, fatty livers, constipation, etc...

NeilYYZ

Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:18 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 26):

I had raccoons in the attic of my house second year of university so I tossed a couple of these on the roof. Problem was, it caught them, but they went running around inside the cage so damn much that they slid clear off the roof, then I had dead raccoons is cages on my porch. Ah well, at least they got out of the roof.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

N74JW

Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:28 pm

rm -r *

N1120A

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:50 pm

If provoked - but normally are fairly benign and don't bother anything.

It doesn't take much to provoke them.

mham001

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:52 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 32):
redflag redflag No way. I don't think you have a clue as to what you are talking about. You're going to have to back that up with some sources.

I don't have time to look at every jurisdiction but a google search 'feeding wildlife' produces two states on the first page. Lots of other interesting information too. I recommend you give it a try. This page tells it pretty straight. http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/feedingwildlife.asp

You don't have a clue as to my knowledge, nor experience.

Oh but I do when you claim a coon can't be as dangerous as a possum. 20+ years experience with coon myself. You fail to understand the power a 30-50 lb male raccoon possesses and and the dexterity of their sharp little paws. They are pure muscle, don't let the cute little faces fool you. You might want to consider the problems you are creating for your neighbors as well.

Are you a wimp or what? Sheesh man, we're talking about raccoons here, not grizzlies.

Lets put it this way, I have a 120 lb livestock guard dog bred to fight wolves. Id rather he go up against the wolf than a coon.

N74JW

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:21 am

Quoting 22right (Thread starter):
Or is trapping (and subsequent destruction) the only option?

Not in my experience. A small family of raccoons used to raid my trash cans every Thursday night. Damn if they were not the most crafty at getting all of my trash-locking mechanisms undone. They also used to be able to reel-in my shiner bucket and eat my frickin bait.

I don't believe in killing anything unless it is trying to kill me at the time. Blowing away a raccoon is only going to do so much for so long. I took a median approach with my paint ball gun, enough of those eventually scared the bandito away for good. The raccoon does have to be dealt with, as they carry rabies. Be sure to ensure all pets are vaccinated.
rm -r *

AR385

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:42 am

When I first arrived in the US, in Charlottesville, Virginia, for my Graduate Degree, the first night there I went for groceries. My apartment was a walk away from the parking lot so I had to carry my groceries to the apartment and then double back to the car for the remainder. To my surprise, when I returned for the remainder of the groceries a family of Raccoons was well inside the trunk, exploring the goodies. I really did not know what to do, and stood motionless watching the raccoons explore the groceries. Mind you, I had never seen a live raccon in my entire life, let alone a group of raccoons. Compounding the issue they look pretty fierce. What to do? What to do? I was on a budget and could not afford the rest of my groceries becoming raccoon food. So, I went back inside, grabbed a jug of water and threw it at them (The water, not the jug) They seemed stunned, buy carried out ripping the grocery bags. I called the police. I was desperate.

They came and scared them with long batons, mace and loud voices. Needless to say, I was very careful after that, locking the trunk whenever I made the first trip to the kitchen with the first batch of groceries from a car in the parking lot.

They definitely did not look cute to me. Rather savage, fierce and driven, with a purpose.

ORFflyer

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:26 pm

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 39):
I don't have time to look at every jurisdiction but a google search 'feeding wildlife' produces two states on the first page. Lots of other interesting information too. I recommend you give it a try. This page tells it pretty straight. http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/...e.asp

But it is NOT prohibited by law as you stated.....

Oh but I do when you claim a coon can't be as dangerous as a possum. 20+ years experience with coon myself. You fail to understand the power a 30-50 lb male raccoon possesses and and the dexterity of their sharp little paws. They are pure muscle, don't let the cute little faces fool you. You might want to consider the problems you are creating for your neighbors as well.

I don't fail to understand anything. I never said I was trying to turn them into lap cats. We're just giving them table scraps. They are in fact strong animals no doubt, but I'm certainly not going to turn and run when I see one.

Lets put it this way, I have a 120 lb livestock guard dog bred to fight wolves. Id rather he go up against the wolf than a coon.

Let me know how that turns out.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 38):
It doesn't take much to provoke them.

They pretty much have to be cornered. It takes even less to scare them.