Kay
Topic Author

Movies That Show Manhattan?

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:52 am

Good morning

My g/f is coming with me on my next trip to NY in December before xmas  Smile
She hasn't been there and therefore bought a novel with a story in it/about it (forgot by who) and is on the lookout for documentaries but also movies.

For me, NY in movies means first and foremost Scorcese and De Niro's series of movies together. However, black and white movies don't help, and lighter movies, with more sceneries, would be better.
The next thing would be Woody Allen's movies, but "Manhattan" we have already seen, and frankly speaking apart from a few shots here and there in museums and on bridges, I am looking for a little more.

Any thoughts?  Smile

Kay

707CMF

RE: Movies That Show Manhattan?

Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:27 am

Soooo going to hell for that, but...

I think Flight 93 has a part taking place in Manhattan...

More seriously, if you are looking for a 'girl movie', there is "You've got mail". 100% Manhattan.

Cheers,

mighluss

Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:51 am

The other day, I saw Quick change (Bill Murray), in spanish is "Con la Pasma en los Talones", it's very funny, and all the film it's done outside Manhattan. (They are all the film lost, trying to go to JFK, to take a plane with the money they robbed). It don't show the tipical exteriors from Manhattam.

Better explained here!! Big grin

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100449/

[Edited 2007-11-20 01:53:09]
Miquel.

Kieron747

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:15 am

You might want to try a bit of a cult film called 'After Hours' directed by Martin Scorsese. It's one of my favourites, it's very very dark and weird, but has a couple of laughs in it too.

Kieron
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

Kay
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:17 am

Quoting 707CMF (Reply 1):
I think Flight 93 has a part taking place in Manhattan...

We already watched it. Excellent movie.

Quoting 707CMF (Reply 1):
More seriously, if you are looking for a 'girl movie', there is "You've got mail". 100% Manhattan.

This could be an excellent suggestion. imdb doesn't mention much about NYC, but I do remember something about a book shop. Are you sure there are sceneries.

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 3):
You might want to try a bit of a cult film called 'After Hours' directed by Martin Scorsese. It's one of my favourites, it's very very dark and weird, but has a couple of laughs in it too.

Absolutely fabulous recommendation for me (if nothing better comes along perhaps I'll suggest it). How do I not know about this movie already? On my wish list.

Quoting Mighluss (Reply 2):
The other day, I saw Quick change

I love Bill Murray, although this movie seems to address the NY insider (from the imdb comments).

Thanks keep'm coming!
Kay

Superfly

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:28 am

Saturday Night Fever.

Hell Up In Harlem
Awesome car & airplane chase seen with classic American cars of that era plus TWA 707 and American Airlines 747-100 and scenes in JFK and LAX circa 1973.
Bring back the Concorde

Kieron747

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:59 am

Quoting Kay (Reply 4):
Absolutely fabulous recommendation for me (if nothing better comes along perhaps I'll suggest it). How do I not know about this movie already? On my wish list.

It seems that not many folk know about this film but it is really excellent! The only problem is that you may have a bit of trouble getting hold of a copy.

Kieron
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.