http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/11/19/saudi.rape.victim/index.html

A 19-year old woman in Saudi Arabia is raped and,

Quote:

Story Highlights
Woman sentenced to 200 lashes and six months in jail under Islamic law

Woman's lawyer loses law license for speaking to Saudi-controlled media

Human rights group: Lawyer faces three-year suspension and disbarment

Isn't Sharia law just wonderful?
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

PAHS200

RE: Isn't Saudi Justice Great?

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:47 pm

i no I'm going to get flamed, but:

I think this is what we should do in the USA( not the get raped and lashed part) but when someone gets in trouble with the law they should be lashed. in the USA its jail time, that does noting and justs waste tax-money. I believe we should punished people like the Saudi's do. that will send a true message to them.

in my grade (11th) 4 boys robbed a girls house. they were changed, but let go. The next week one of the boys threated to shoot-up the school. now why was he let go? because in the USA we don't have any real form of punishment. i would bet my money that if he was lashed 200 times he would never do that again and no one would to.

b752fanatic

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:50 pm

This subject was already discussed in this forum. The exact same thing
"Truth is more of a stranger than fiction." Mark Twain

baroque

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:39 pm

Quoting PAHS200 (Reply 1):
The next week one of the boys threated to shoot-up the school. now why was he let go?

Let me have a wild guess - because he was changed?

i would bet my money that if he was lashed 200 times he would never do that again and no one would to.

That would give you one seriously wounded angry and soon to be armed puppy.

He might not do that, but likely something worse and the deterrent effect, check how effective other penalties are.

N1120A

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:41 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Thread starter):

There was already a really long thread on this.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

yowza

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:44 pm

Welcome to 5 days ago.

YOWza

b752fanatic

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:46 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 4):

Quoting YOWza (Reply 5):

What's interesting is that both of the posters share almost the same political views....

N1120A

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:47 pm

Quoting B752fanatic (Reply 6):

What's interesting is that both of the posters share almost the same political views....

Um, first, our views differ in many ways. Second, like we both said, there was a very lengthy thread on this less than a week ago. That makes this a duplicate and hence in violation of the A.net rules.

yowza

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:48 pm

Quoting B752fanatic (Reply 6):

Me and N1120A or Cfalk and the dude who started the other thread. Which in Cfalk's defense seems to have gone AWOL.

YOWza

UH60FtRucker

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:51 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 8):
That makes this a duplicate and hence in violation of the A.net rules.

You're wrong. The other thread was removed. This is the only existing thread discussing the issue.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

GDB

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:52 pm

Since it has been revealed that the US has eight (yes 8!) times as many people locked up, compared to 1970, I seriously doubt that it lacks for punishment.
Was there 8 times less crime in 1970? or 8 times more now, I think not.
I do know there is a vast, for profit complex, making a pile of cash from this mass incarceration, with all the army of lobbyists in Washington to grease the wheels.

If you really want to emulate Saudi Arabia, in any way, I suggest a consideration of the old saying, 'be careful what you wish for.....'

Justice should be about proportionate punishment, as well as re-habilitation, the latter if you want to even start at reducing that vast cost of all those prisoners, but I can think of some who would not see that in their interests.
Justice should not be about pandering to the sadism of some.

Saudi Arabia is a deeply dysfunctional society, where women are treated as cattle, breeding stock, this sort of 'justice' is all about the twisted interpretation of a particular religion.
But let's not be too smug, since women have never done well under Christianity either, just that in post enlightenment societies the worst aspects of this has been slowly, remorselessly, eroded.
To a point where discrimination is illegal.
Saudi uses their interpretation of Islam to enforce an effective police state, and a police state is one run by criminals.

There are some US based fundamentalists, of the Christan kind, who would like to turn the status of women back a couple of centuries, (myself, I think this drives some of the harder core, so called, 'pro-lifers').

Those who get 'lashes', or worse, are usually the most powerless in Saudi society, the same would be true if such a thing still existed here.

UH60FtRucker

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:56 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 11):

There are some US based fundamentalists, of the Christan kind, who would like to turn the status of women back a couple of centuries, (myself, I think this drives some of the harder core, so called, 'pro-lifers').

It's amazing that you can bring this back to the feet of Americans and Christians.  Yeah sure

This is a clear case of Saudi Arabia using their outdated and barbaric interpretation of Islam. You can talk all you want about how some Christians want to turn the clock back on women's rights... but this story is actually happening. This isn't hot air from some religious nuts, it's government accepted policy in a major Islamic country.

Why don't we focus on who is truly to blame?

-UH60

yowza

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:02 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 12):
Why don't we focus on who is truly to blame?

Well we did that in the thread that got deleted:
US big business and US gov in KSA (since the 1920 letting this slide) in conjunction with bad interpretations of Islam and the hangover from tribalism?

YOWza

UH60FtRucker

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Quoting YOWza (Reply 13):

Well wait... the US government and its foreign policy is responsible for lining the pockets of Saudi kings and princes, and is responsible for willingly giving billions in aid and support to a religiously fanatic country, with barbaric laws and practices.

HOWEVER, the US government is not responsible for what is happening to this young girl. Islamic fanatics, with uncivilized and monstrous views, are responsible for punishing a gang rape victim.

Lets keep that distinction clear.

-UH60

andrewuber

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:12 pm

What's REALLY sad is - this probably happens a whole lot more than we sheltered Americans realize. I lived in the Middle East for a couple of years, and I have heard some horrific stories about how women, girls, and VICTIMS are treated. It makes me sick just to think about it.
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

GDB

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:18 pm

I'm not blaming the US at all, but, I was reacting to a post who thought the sadism of this 'punishment' a good thing.
But yes, the US has become a society where crime and punishment seems all too often to be about pandering, helped by the fact that TV coverage of crime (of the tabloid kind), has increased 30 fold since 1980.
I just do not discriminate against fundamentalists of any kind, don't care what imaginary friend in the sky you think talks to you.

For anyone in the much freer Western democracies, where sex discrimination is illegal, to have a shred of admiration of what passes for justice in a theocratic state, is perverse.
Because a state in the 21st century that does such things, is not going to stop there, those who'd think themselves immune from such a state, are deluded.

A great American once said, 'We have nothing to fear but fear itself .
Fear drives this sadism in Saudi, fear of the opposite sex, fear of modernity, fear of how personal freedom would end the hegemony of a few at the top.
We are lucky that though, as mentioned, media driven fear of crime maybe has lead to a bloated Incarceration industrial complex, this is as far as it has gone.
Let's keep it that way.

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:37 pm

Quoting AndrewUber (Reply 15):
What's REALLY sad is - this probably happens a whole lot more than we sheltered Americans realize. I lived in the Middle East for a couple of years,

No kidding, and this also happens in the rural provinces of Pakistan as well.

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 12):
using their outdated and barbaric interpretation of Islam

I believe the punishment for rape in Islam is the death penalty for the perpetrators not the punishment of the victim. The court just found a way to punish the woman for being in contact with male non family members which I cannot understand. Islam doesnt call for the punishment of the victim in any way, but these sick twisted interpreations of the wahhabists really leave me puzzled and disgusted.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

baroque

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:40 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 16):
Fear drives this sadism in Saudi, fear of the opposite sex, fear of modernity, fear of how personal freedom would end the hegemony of a few at the top.

And worth noting that various countries have their preferred incarceration targets.

Australia - two main groups at present although our judiciary are having trouble over their cornflakes with the cases made against one of these groups.

USA - guess what the conclusion of this writer is:
http://www.blackcommentator.com/146/146_cover_dixon_ten_worst.html
Which is not to say they are wrong.

And KSA has a number of "things" in its fear complex, one of which is gender.

As GDB wrote, at least two of us were horrified that one poster picked up on the lash as a great and effective method of crime prevention.

Should we move on now to the correlation between the time of the introduction of Roe v Wade in various US states and the lag to the fall in their homicide rates? It is a "neat" correlation. Better than many of the other ones cited for various aspects of crime rates.

N1120A

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:51 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 10):

You're wrong. The other thread was removed. This is the only existing thread discussing the issue.

Well, the topic was discussed to death in that thread.

b752fanatic

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:56 pm

Quoting YOWza (Reply 8):

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):

No, forget about it, I meant that the other thread and this new one were started by two people that share almost the same views. (Cfalk and UH) Quite interesting.

N1120A

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:01 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 14):
the US government and its foreign policy is responsible for lining the pockets of Saudi kings and princes, and is responsible for willingly giving billions in aid and support to a religiously fanatic country, with barbaric laws and practices.

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 14):

HOWEVER, the US government is not responsible for what is happening to this young girl.

The US government is not directly responsible for this. Where the US government is at fault is for propping up the regime in Saudi Arabia, even while it continues to have the absolute worst human rights record toward women on the face of the Earth and while the elites in Saudi society with deep connections to the regime continue to be the direct source of nearly all terrorism against the United States, both on American soil and in Iraq.

ctbarnes

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:11 am

Quoting Cfalk (Thread starter):

...and deriving pleasure from vengeance is a sin.

Give it a rest.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

scbriml

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:15 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 21):
The US government is not directly responsible for this. Where the US government is at fault is for propping up the regime in Saudi Arabia

Absolutely right. It only took about a 100 posts in the original thread to get to this point! wink 

The regime in Saudi Arabia is responsible for this "justice" without question. However, both the US and UK Governments are guilty of supporting that regime and not putting on enough pressure for reform. I'm sure they would both argue that it's better to support the House of Saud and "work with them to achieve reform", then to simply let them be replaced by something that might be even worse from a Western viewpoint.

Of course, oil and big business have absolutely nothing to do with it. sarcastic 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

FLYB6JETS

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:31 am

I think this is what we should do in the USA( not the get raped and lashed part) but when someone gets in trouble with the law they should be lashed. in the USA its jail time, that does noting and justs waste tax-money

What we oughta do is sentence them to forced hard labor and charge them room and board for their cell.
"If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going!"

ltbewr

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:31 am

If the USA and many other countries in the world didn't need Saudi oil, then we might make a big deal of this. We cannot nor will not make noise to the Saud family who rules the country.
The worst of all this is that the VICITM is also being punished with 200 Lashes and months jail for being in a car not operated by her husband or a male family member and publicly in the press discussing her case.
I bet if any of these a-holes that raped this woman were members of the Saud family, they wouldn't be punished.

lobster

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:39 am

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 22):

...and deriving pleasure from vengeance is a sin.

Give it a rest.

Charles, SJ

Ever here of the word sarcasm?

And then to say something is a sin? Ooooooo, the fear of god  Yeah sure

N1120A

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:48 am

Quoting FLYB6JETS (Reply 23):

What we oughta do is sentence them to forced hard labor and charge them room and board for their cell.

So, slavery plus payment for a position they are forced in to?

Emirates773ER

Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:23 am

Ever wonder how some threads just don't get deleted?
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

L-188

Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:34 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 10):
are some US based fundamentalists, of the Christan kind,

That is pretty generally BS buddy.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 24):
If the USA and many other countries in the world didn't need Saudi oil,

Which is one of the reasons why I would like to see more use of E85 in this country, and more exploration in Alaska. It truely is something that the Royal Family fear.

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 16):
Quoting AndrewUber (Reply 15):
What's REALLY sad is - this probably happens a whole lot more than we sheltered Americans realize. I lived in the Middle East for a couple of years,

No kidding, and this also happens in the rural provinces of Pakistan as well.

Quoting GDB (Reply 10):
Justice should be about proportionate punishment, as well as re-habilitation, the latter if you want to even start at reducing that vast cost of all those prisoners, but I can think of some who would not see that in their interests.
Justice should not be about pandering to the sadism of some.

Unless you are democrat holding a "Hearing" on a Bush Admistration policy. Those guys are acting just like the Saudi jurists.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

FLYB6JETS

Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:36 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 26):

That has to be one of the dumbest comments I have ever read on this website. Someone who commits a crime deserves every last damn punishment they get. They made the choice. Hell, who wouldn't wanna get sent to prison here in the US. They are practically Hiltons. 3 meals a day, cable tv, etc. And people wonder why our prisons are overcrowded. Instead of building more of them, make them places people don't want to go. Make em work, and charge them for where they are living. Slavery and forced into a position, you're off your rocker. Welcome to my retarded comment list.

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:44 am

Quoting FLYB6JETS (Reply 29):
They are practically Hiltons. 3 meals a day, cable tv, etc. And people wonder why our prisons are overcrowded. Instead of building more of them, make them places people don't want to go

rotfl   Yeah sure , Ever been to one? Prison is no fun, you gotta watch your back, you never know when your gonna get stabbed by an inmate.

N1120A

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:44 am

Quoting FLYB6JETS (Reply 29):
Hell, who wouldn't wanna get sent to prison here in the US. They are practically Hiltons.

You ever been in a real prison? A place like Angola or San Quentin?

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:54 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 31):

people dont go to prison to enjoy their life, gang inmates go there to build their reputation. Prison is no whatsoever but if youre not Black, White or Hispanic youre in a quagmire. Prison is one of the most racially divided places and you need your "race" to back you up.

FLYB6JETS

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:13 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 30):
Ever been to one? Prison is no fun, you gotta watch your back, you never know when your gonna get stabbed by an inmate.

All the more reason not to do anything stupid to get sent there.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 31):

Nope, I haven't because I am capable of abiding by the laws of this country.

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 32):
people dont go to prison to enjoy their life

All the more reason to make it more of a hell when they get there. If prison is as bad as you say, why are there so many repeat offenders in the system?

Aaron747

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:24 pm

Quoting Lobster (Reply 25):
Ever here of the word sarcasm?

And then to say something is a sin? Ooooooo, the fear of god

The man is a member of the Society of Jesus...I'm not Catholic or even religious, but show some respect, huh? Nevermind, you probably don't even know why that's an honorable mention.  Yeah sure
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

N1120A

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:09 pm

Quoting FLYB6JETS (Reply 33):

Nope, I haven't because I am capable of abiding by the laws of this country.

I wasn't asking if you had been a resident of those places, rather if you had been inside one. If not, don't even start on how you think they are anything like a nice hotel.

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:52 pm

Quoting FLYB6JETS (Reply 33):
If prison is as bad as you say, why are there so many repeat offenders in the system?

because that is their lifestyle, you cant make prison any worse. You cant deny food, you cant deny social interaction for a couple of hours, you cant deny facilities in prison, we live in the 21st century and we try to have dignity and respect even for the worst of offenders. Prison is no fun, its wrong to portray prison is a "Chill-out zone".

Pyrex

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:57 pm

Have you heard the justification of the Saudi Ministry of "Justice" on this? "Charges were proven."

Gotta love the Sauds...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071121/ap_on_re_mi_ea/saudi_rape
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

FLYB6JETS

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:04 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 35):
rather if you had been inside one

Yes, I have and I can darn well assure you it makes me never want to do anything stupid enough to get into one. It's about deterrent. Make it a living hell so they don't wanna go back and be a drain on society.

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 36):
You cant deny food, you cant deny social interaction for a couple of hours, you cant deny facilities in prison, we live in the 21st century and we try to have dignity and respect even for the worst of offenders

No one is saying you have to deny food. Bread and water 3 times a day. No one said you have to deny facilities. Why can't you deny social interaction? Just because they eat bread and water and have to work their asses off doesn't mean we have stolen their diginity. Personally, I don't think they deserve respect because they can't respect the laws of our country. Face it, we can go around the field until the cows come home, I am not going to agree with you. If you are in prison, you did something dumb enough to get sent there and you deserve to be punished. We are wussifying ourselves and people seem to be ok with that. The US needs to grow its balls back.

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:15 pm

Quoting FLYB6JETS (Reply 38):
Personally, I don't think they deserve respect because they can't respect the laws of our country. Face it, we can go around the field until the cows come home, I am not going to agree with you. If you are in prison, you did something dumb enough to get sent there and you deserve to be punished. We are wussifying ourselves and people seem to be ok with that. The US needs to grow its balls back.

"eye for an eye makes the world go blind" Gandhi. Being is prison is punishment enough, you need to go to prison or talk to someone who has before you judge prison as a walk in the park.

N1120A

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:22 pm

Make it a living hell so they don't wanna go back and be a drain on society.

Sorry, but torture is not acceptable in civil society.

Why can't you deny social interaction?

Because it makes people go crazy, which becomes cruel and unusual punishment.

Bread and water 3 times a day.

One can't survive on bread and water because of the lack of nutritional balance. "Square Fish" or whatever else they serve in prisons is not exactly fine dining.

NWA742

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:29 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 26):

Talk about the epitome of bleeding heart nonsense.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

N1120A

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:34 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 41):

Talk about the epitome of bleeding heart nonsense.

Bleeding heart huh? I personally think that the best prisons are the ones that are productive. I am not just talking about license plates, but places like the Louisiana State Penitentiary (I am currently drinking out of a coffee cup from there), where everything from the vegetables that go into prisoner food to cotton to police dogs and horses for the City of New Orleans are raised on site by prisoners. It gives them something to occupy their time as well as make a little money to help support family left behind and victims. Simply shoving someone is a box is a good way to perpetuate the cycle as opposed to giving them something to do that is productive, therapeutic and rehabilitative.

NWA742

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:36 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 42):
Bleeding heart huh? I personally think that the best prisons are the ones that are productive. I am not just talking about license plates, but places like the Louisiana State Penitentiary (I am currently drinking out of a coffee cup from there), where everything from the vegetables that go into prisoner food to cotton to police dogs and horses for the City of New Orleans are raised on site by prisoners. It gives them something to occupy their time as well as make a little money to help support family left behind and victims. Simply shoving someone is a box is a good way to perpetuate the cycle as opposed to giving them something to do that is productive, therapeutic and rehabilitative.

No, I think it's good for prisons to be productive as well. But nobody is forced into going to prison.............that is bleeding heart nonsense.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

N1120A

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:43 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 43):
But nobody is forced into going to prison.............that is bleeding heart nonsense.

Not particularly. I am not saying we are wrong to force people into prison for committing serious crimes, I am saying that by choosing to do so, we have to live with the costs involved. It is a trade off between leaving criminals on the street or paying for them to be taken out of society.

GDB

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:55 pm

Don't get you L-188, sorry.
But do you deny the large, influential presence of faith based nutters in the US? I think, hope, their influence has reached it's high water mark, but we'll see.
Not a direct Saudi comparison of course, but Western societies are hard to compare to the medieval-ism in Saudi generally.

To the propping up Saudi argument, true, but it is done in the knowledge that the likely replacement would be an even worse regime, hostile too.
That is an indictment on Saudi society, established in the first part of the last century.

FLYB6JETS

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:56 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 42):
I am not just talking about license plates, but places like the Louisiana State Penitentiary (I am currently drinking out of a coffee cup from there), where everything from the vegetables that go into prisoner food to cotton to police dogs and horses for the City of New Orleans are raised on site by prisoners. It gives them something to occupy their time as well as make a little money to help support family left behind and victims

Ever heard of this guy? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

You'll probably think he is the biggest purveyor of cruel and unusual punishment to ever walk the face of the earth. I say more power to the guy. It's time more people had balls like him and got tough on criminals.

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 39):
Being is prison is punishment enough, you need to go to prison or talk to someone who has before you judge prison as a walk in the park.

Educate me.

N1120A

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:20 pm

Quoting FLYB6JETS (Reply 46):
Ever heard of this guy?

sarcastic 

Quoting FLYB6JETS (Reply 46):

You'll probably think he is the biggest purveyor of cruel and unusual punishment to ever walk the face of the earth. I say more power to the guy.

He has cost Maricopa County millions upon millions of dollars because of his practices, which at this point have almost universally been condemned. His deputies have broken the necks of disabled inmates, severely beaten blind ones, engaged in inappropriate behavior with prostitutes while on stings that led to dropping of more than 60 cases and even killed people. Hopefully the recall effort there will succeed.

FLYB6JETS

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:30 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 47):
He has cost Maricopa County millions upon millions of dollars because of his practices, which at this point have almost universally been condemned. His deputies have broken the necks of disabled inmates, severely beaten blind ones, engaged in inappropriate behavior with prostitutes while on stings that led to dropping of more than 60 cases and even killed people

Prove it