LHMark

Beer Bars In Your Town

Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:01 pm

Our recent beer discussions got me thinking. here in Crapchester, we're spoiled. We have five great beer bars, four of them with cask-conditioned ale on hand pump. Three local breweries keep watering holes stocked with good beer, and even our dive bars have 20+ beers ranging from mass-market lagers to craft breweries to imports.

I realize this is not the case everywhere in the world. Even in a great beer nation like Germany, many bars only serve a couple kinds of beer. In some less alcohol-friendly US states, selection and opening hours can suffer. Of course, many big cities probably have it better than we do.

So tell us what you like and dislike about the beer bars in your town.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

NeilYYZ

RE: Beer Bars In Your Town

Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:07 pm

In Toronto my two favourites are -

Beer Bistro - An absolutely amazing selection of Imports available, in fact, that's all that's available. A plus is that everything on the menu is also made with beer. It's in a great part of town, Yonge & King St, the only drawback is that it's fairly expensive.

Irish Embassy - Great place, with a good selection of beer. It's in an old bank so there are great high ceilings and those big pillars make for a great atmosphere. They also pour Guiness very well here.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

Toast

Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:16 pm

Quoting LHMARK (Thread starter):
So tell us what you like and dislike about the beer bars in your town.

Brussels - it's a synonym of "beer bar". As is any other place in Belgium. Big grin I'm sure you miss the country.  Smile
BTW, just noticed your signature. LMAO!!!  bigthumbsup 
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

CastleIsland

Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:41 pm

The Boston area has a number of great Irish pubs, including The Field, The Druid, The Plow and Stars, Tir Na Nog, and The Thirsty Scholar (all in Somerville/Cambridge). For pure beer selection, however, check out Sunset Grill and Tap in the Boston neighborhood of Allston:

http://www.allstonsfinest.com/allsto...setgrillandtap/sunsetgrill&tap.swf

112 beers on tap and 380 microbrews and/or imports. If it's beer you're after, it's probably available there.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

Kieron747

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:15 pm

Not here in London, but I can say a brewery from my home town, Stoke-on-Trent....

http://www.titanicbrewery.co.uk/home2.html

Expect a sore head!  Wink

Kieron
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

AC320

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:40 pm

Not much in Gainesville, FL

There's Stubbie's Shirt Pub which keeps about 200 different beers stocked from around the world, and is a favourite watering hole for me.

http://www.stubbieshirtpub.com/pdf/beer-menu.pdf

It's a small place, so you have to get there early. The staff is really friendly and knows just about everything about the beers on the menu, so if I'm stuck choosing or in the mood for something particular but don't know what to try they come out with some great recommendations. It would be nice if more were offered on tap, pretty much everything is by the bottle. Prices are steep; you pay for quality and variety.

I wish there was a selection of local FL microbews.
fuddle duddle

Tom in NO

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:52 pm

New Orleans: Cooter Brown's.....near Tulane University where St Charles Avenue meets Carrollton and River Road/Leake Avenue stocks something like 400 brands of beer, 350 imported, 42 on draft.
http://www.cooterbrowns.com/beers.html

Metairie/Kenner (closer to the house): it Lager's.....corner of Veterans Highway and Severn.
http://lagersmetairie.draftfreak.com
http://lagersmetairie.draftfreak.com/beer.pdf
Killer cheese fries, as well.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

MSYtristar

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:57 pm

My two favorites in New Orleans:

1) Cooter Brown's

Huge selection. Hundreds of beers. Good food and the place is always busy. Great place to watch sports, too.

2) The Bulldog

50 on tap. I like the one on Canal Blvd...very nice courtyard area...there's also one on Magazine Street which is a classic, as well.

Plus you have the great local old school dives like Parasol's, Frankie and Johnny's, Milan Lounge, Snake and Jake's X-Mas club, Kingpin, The Saint, Rendezvous, Balcony Bar, St. Joe's...etc.

New Orleans has all the bases covered when it comes to places to enjoy a cold one or two...or ten.

srbmod

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:27 pm

A nice selection of beer bars here in the Atlanta, some of them are local chains:

The Vortex, who also has some kick ass burgers. Here's their beer/wine/spirits menu.

Taco Mac a local chain that has some locations that have over 100 beers on tap and close to a total of 350 different beers on tap and in the bottle. Here's their "Master Beer List", which a few of their locations carry pretty much the entire list.

The Euclid Avenue Yacht Club , the first beer bar I ever went into. Their beer selection isn't as extensive as The Vortex or Taco Mac, but they definitely aren't the sort of place you take the wife and kids to.

TIA

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:50 pm

The Capital Ale House in RIC has the largest selection of beers of any place that I've been to. And what sets them apart from other places, is the the fact that a good portion of their beers are on tap.

Avianca

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:53 pm

hmmm have to enoyoy my cold beer at the beach... bad world....
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia