AR385
Topic Author

Is There A Typical Scandinavian Dish?

Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:10 am

Everytime I asked for one, all I got was cream, cold fish and potatoes. Is there anyting different?

Doona

RE: Is There A Typical Scandinavian Dish?

Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:32 am

I don't know if there is a typical dish for Scandinavia. However, there are typical Swedish, Danish and Norwegian dishes.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

LAXspotter

Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:35 am

Quoting AR385 (Thread starter):
Everytime I asked for one, all I got was cream, cold fish and potatoes. Is there anyting different?

Thankyou Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_Sweden
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_cuisine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_Norway
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_Denmark

Great place to learn about food you're dying to taste  drool 
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

AR385
Topic Author

Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:37 am

Quoting Doona (Reply 1):
I don't know if there is a typical dish for Scandinavia. However, there are typical Swedish, Danish and Norwegian dishes.

Ok, I sincerely apologize for my ignorance in grouping those three marvelous countries in one. Any typical Swedish dish? Danish and or Norweigan, not involving cream, potatoes and fish.

AR385
Topic Author

Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:43 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 2):
Great place to learn about food you're dying to taste

The thing is, I'm not particularly dying to taste it. I have already. I just wanted to know if there was something different

LAXspotter

Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:45 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 4):
I'm not particularly dying to taste it

you hate it huh  Smile IMO ofcourse there is variety. Obviously certain groups have staples. Asian Countries: Rice, Ireland:Potato, USA: Beef but there is variety for sure.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

Doona

Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:45 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 3):
Any typical Swedish dish? Danish and or Norweigan, not involving cream, potatoes and fish.

You could probably substitute the fish for some pork. Other than that, not really  rotfl 

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

AR385
Topic Author

Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:47 am

Quoting Doona (Reply 6):
You could probably substitute the fish for some pork. Other than that, not really

Thought so. That's why I lost so many pounds while in Scandinavia

NeilYYZ

Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:00 am

There's a TV commercial on here in Canada recently that's for Citi Bank I think and it shows a dish from Norway that induces a gag reflex every time I see it. There's a fish head, some strange colored sausages and what looks to be a pile of something unknown to man.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

AR385
Topic Author

Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:05 am

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 8):

IT does sound familiar to what I got everywhere

AR385
Topic Author

Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:24 pm

Come on, any kind of roasted game? OR, is it true school chilfren are given frozen fish popsicles? And they like them?
 Confused

j_hallgren

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:05 am

A couple that my Mom used to make were pea soup followed by pancakes (thin), and cabbage rolls...and also sausages and rotmous (spelling???) (a mix of rutabaga and potato)..
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

Doona

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:16 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 10):
Come on, any kind of roasted game? OR, is it true school chilfren are given frozen fish popsicles? And they like them?

If you're referring to fish sticks, then yeah, but they're not actually frozen when served, nor popsicles.

Cheers
Mats

gunsontheroof

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:25 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 2):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_cuisine

Don't bother looking there--in my experience, it's bread, butter and three deserts with coffee a day.  Wink

TIA

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:53 pm

Last time I was in Norway I had reindeer and according to my Norwegian friend that was an authentic dish.

JAGflyer

Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:32 pm

I am surprised no one has said this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

deskflier

Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:39 pm

One Swedish speciality is what is known as a Half-Special: A hot dog in a bread with a dab of mashed potatoes on top. To this you usually drink a chocolate and milk drink with the brand name "Pucko" ("Knucklehead").

In Norway you would be lucky to find any dish that does not include some kind of codfish.
How can anyone not fly, when we live at a time when we can fly?

LHboyatDTW

Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:18 pm

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 16):

oh heaven forbid no  Wow!

Being Swedish I have to suffer the torment of eating it over the holidays, let alone endure the week long stench that comes with it during prepping.  vomit 
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

jamincan

Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:55 pm

Swedish Meatballs? Potatoes, cream, and beef.

RayChuang

Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:55 am

If you read the Wikipedia article, the problem with lutefisk is when you use cod to make it, the odor leaves much to be desired. Make it from haddock or pollock and you avoid that pungent smell.  Smile

Mortyman

Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:20 am

Lutefisk ( Scandinavian fish dish )

Considered to be Norway's WMD ( Weapons of MAss Destruction )  Smile

Some comments about the dish from various European and American food journalists:

"Lutefisk is not food, it is a weapon of mass destruction. It is currently the only exception for the man who ate everything. Otherwise, I am fairly liberal, I gladly eat worms and insects, but I draw the line on lutefisk."

"What is special with lutefisk?"

"Lutefisk is the Norwegians' attempt at conquering the world. When they discovered that Viking raids didn't give world supremacy, they invented a meal so terrifying, so cruel, that they could scare people to become one's subordinates. And if I'm not terribly wrong, you will be able to do it as well."

Read more here Smile

agill

Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:57 am

Lutfisk isn't that bad, even I eat that and I usually don't even like fish. Surströmming, now thats a completely different ballgame.

[Edited 2007-11-25 01:58:37]

deskflier

Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:02 pm

And, of course, the vegetable that in both Spanish and English took its name from the Nation Glory and Heroes: The Swede, or rutabaga. Mashed swedes and a salty hand of pork, they're the best you can eat. And to drink, a dark beer.
How can anyone not fly, when we live at a time when we can fly?

VonRichtofen

Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:04 pm

When I was in Denmark hanging with a local the diet was mostly Pizza and Burger King.

Scooter01

Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:43 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 21):
Read more here

Another reason to celebrate St.Patric's Day!  biggrin 

Scooter01
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

andaman

Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:41 am

Ok, speaking about Nordic-Finnish kitchen:

Despite the popular pizza & kebab culture the typical Finnish kitchen is still alive and kicking: all kinds of fish like salmon and herrings, dark rye bread, wild berries and mushrooms, different milk products, reindeer are still popular. Finland was part of Sweden for 600y and part of Czarist Russia next 100y, so the traditional Finnish kitchen is influenced especially by those two cultures.
The rye bread is still so popular here even McDonalds have been selling a special McRye burger, good news for Finns is that rye is found out to be a real health food.

Some typical Finnish dishes I prefer myself:

Salmon, freshly-salted (sushi-style) or smoked, great on dark bread and with pasta:

Reindeer soup (or meatballs)... Santa skips me every year!:

A blueberry pie, made of wild berries, plenty in Finland:

Fazer chocolates, the most typical Finnish sweet:

..at the airport you can buy Fazer chokolate filled with vodka  Wink ...not bad actually.

Finland is considered the world leader in the development of functional or health-enhancing foods, here is a link if interested:
http://virtual.finland.fi/finfo/english/funcfood.html

I drink a functional milk product to control my high(ish) blood pressure:
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

KaiGywer
Crew

Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:52 am

Who can forget this one??? Norway's national dish  Smile

“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

andaman

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:00 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 27):
Who can forget this one??? Norway's national dish

Is Grandiosa a Norwegian brand? So Norway imports oil and frozen pizzas to Finland  Wink
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

Nuori5084

Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:29 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 26):
Ok, speaking about Nordic-Finnish kitchen:

Despite the popular pizza & kebab culture the typical Finnish kitchen is still alive and kicking: all kinds of fish like salmon and herrings, dark rye bread, wild berries and mushrooms, different milk products, reindeer are still popular. Finland was part of Sweden for 600y and part of Czarist Russia next 100y, so the traditional Finnish kitchen is influenced especially by those two cultures.
The rye bread is still so popular here even McDonalds have been selling a special McRye burger, good news for Finns is that rye is found out to be a real health food.

Some good stuff you listed there. I bet you didn't know there are 93 McDonald's restaurants in Finland?

Some of my family favorites are "Finnish" pancakes with Lingam berry jam, Finnish meatballs, and Pulla bread.

Fazer is my favorite candy brand. The green "bulb" jellies are the best. I also like Pantteri Mix candies by Fazer. It's impossible to buy them online!
Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

andaman

Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:50 pm

Quoting Nuori5084 (Reply 29):

Some good stuff you listed there. I bet you didn't know there are 93 McDonald's restaurants in Finland?

I try to avoid fast food but I rather go to the if I have to  Wink Rovaniemi town in Lapland has the world's most northern McDonald's, though no McRudolph there I think... Reindeer is my favourite red meat, tasty & low fat.

dl021

Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:51 pm

Reindeer and aquavit
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Nuori5084

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:46 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 30):
Reindeer is my favourite red meat, tasty & low fat.

True. Good stuff. I will have to pay a visit to that place next time.
Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

N1120A

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:05 am

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 20):
the problem with lutefisk is when you use cod to make it, the odor leaves much to be desired. Make it from haddock or pollock and you avoid that pungent smell

The problem with lutefisk, other than the fact that it is treated with poison and smells terrible, is that you end up reducing the protein content of the fish by half.

Anyway, I love all the berry based food that comes out of Scandinavia, especially lingenberry jam. Also, I love the dense, dark bread.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

jcs17

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:53 am

Reindeer... in tube form.

Reindeer dishes and salmon are pretty good, but other than that Scandinavian foods really never struck me as remotely tasty. In fact, after six days in Stockholm and one in Helsinki, I was never more happy to get back to America... for the food. Yes, I know there are a lot more food options in those cities, but I always try to eat the local foods.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

RJdxer

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:31 am

According to this site, no.

http://scanelite.dk/elite.cfm

cloudnine 
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

Doona

Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:24 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 34):
Reindeer... in tube form.

Actually Reindeer-flavoured soft cheese. In this country you can get soft cheese in a tube with pretty much any flavour. Disgusting, just disgusting...

Cheers
Mats

BCAL

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:48 pm

Ever been in the restaurant or food hall at Ikea? They claim Swedish specialities are meatballs, open sandwiches, pickled salmon and Dime Cake.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

Doona

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:59 pm

Quoting BCAL (Reply 37):
They claim Swedish specialities are meatballs, open sandwiches, pickled salmon and Dime Cake.

I wouldn't say that it's a claim, we do eat alot of those things.

Cheers
Mats