ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Battlestar Galactica - Razor

Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:23 am

Missed posting this in advance.

On Sci-Fi in Alaska right now . . .

Story of the Pegasus . . . first glimpse of the Attack on Scorpion Fleet Shipyards.

Fifteen minutes into the show right now.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

fridgmus

RE: Battlestar Galactica - Razor

Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:39 am

I ordered Razor a couple of weeks ago from Amazon. Still waiting for Season 3.0 to come out.
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

moo

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:57 pm

I saw Razor a few weeks ago through, uhm, 'back channels'....

Quite interesting, some new angles on things and some intriguing plot twists.

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:13 pm

It was interesting to me to see all the "rumors" about Cain shooting her XO in the head in CIC (etc) all come to pass. One sort of knew that would be the case, but it's interesting to see how things played out.

Also, Kendra Shaw . . .interesting introduction and then destruction of this character.

Of course - there are now NEW questions:

Where the hell did the old model Toasters come from? Were they all still in service? Were they not privied to the upgrading of the Cylons? Was the Cylon ship at the end of the show also the Cylon shipAdama boarded?

Ever notice how the Cylon in the "control tank" on those Base Stars is female - and young? Why the old geezer in the control tank on this particular Base Star?

And of course the old style Cylon Fighters that appear - even crashing into Starbuck on the landing bay.

Some interersting twists for certain.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

moo

Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:21 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 3):
Where the hell did the old model Toasters come from? Were they all still in service? Were they not privied to the upgrading of the Cylons?

The ones we see in the flashbacks were pre-'new generation' ones we are used to, as those were flashbacks to the original Cylon war.

The ones we see during the 'present day' scenes, where the Pegasus is doing her thing, were rogue Cylons called the Guardians, who disappeared with the first hybrid at the end of the first Cylon war. They were a legend in the modern day Cylons society, no one knew for sure they still existed, and that is the reason they were never demobilised with the rest of their kind.

Quote:
Was the Cylon ship at the end of the show also the Cylon shipAdama boarded?

Yes, it is meant to be.

Ever notice how the Cylon in the "control tank" on those Base Stars is female - and young? Why the old geezer in the control tank on this particular Base Star?

First cut and later generations - the first hybrids were cut and shunted using human parts, the later generations were grown to a design.

Also, a throw away line maybe, but interesting none the less is Boomers' comment that the hybrids were an evolutionary dead end, the one the Guardians are guarding was the first, 'and others were created to control our Baseships before the project was cancelled' - this certainly indicates there are a very finite number of Baseships available to the Cylons!

Did anyone notice the continuity error? In the mini series it is alluded that the original chrome toasters were still around and 'had their uses', whereas in Razor it is alluded that the original chrome toasters had all been decommissioned (aside from the Guardians) or, as Boomer so elegantly puts it, 'scrapped'.

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:50 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 4):
Did anyone notice the continuity error? In the mini series it is alluded that the original chrome toasters were still around and 'had their uses', whereas in Razor it is alluded that the original chrome toasters had all been decommissioned (aside from the Guardians) or, as Boomer so elegantly puts it, 'scrapped'.

I heard that, but don't think it's a continuity error.

First, when 6 and Baltar are talking just after the initial attack on Caprica, he makes the comment to 6 that ' I thought Cylons looked like Giant Chrome Toasters'. And 6 replies, as you mention above. Six, IMO, was discussing the upgraded Chrome Dome models. Not necessarily referring to the original designs we saw in the original series.

. . . .

I re-watched the show this morning, I must have missed the conversation in the landing bay between Boomer and the rest of the group last night. I missed the entire explanation from Boomer on the Guardians, etc.

moo

Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:58 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):
First, when 6 and Baltar are talking just after the initial attack on Caprica, he makes the comment to 6 that ' I thought Cylons looked like Giant Chrome Toasters'. And 6 replies, as you mention above. Six, IMO, was discussing the upgraded Chrome Dome models. Not necessarily referring to the original designs we saw in the original series.

I don't think so - at that point, Baltar had only had experience of the original Chrome toasters (excluding Raiders), not the upgraded variety and Six would have known that. I'm almost certain she was not talking about the upgraded model.

kmh1956

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:54 pm

I am kicking myself six ways from Sunday here....I MISSED it!!!
Any idea if Sci-Fi is planning to re-broadcast it any time soon?
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:41 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 7):

I don't know - however, you can pick up the DVD - at least in the States - which will be released Dec 4. If you can't get it in Bermuda, let me know - I'll be glad to grab two and fire one south for you.

[Edited 2007-11-26 08:41:36]

kmh1956

Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:51 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 8):
ANCFlyer

Bless your heart; I'll keep that in mind!
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

Emirates773ER

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:04 pm

Anyone in for a few scenes of the new season starting next year?

http://megavideo.com/?v=CTBWSUEQ
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

Klaus

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:42 am

Hmmm... interesting... certainly an attempt to illustrate the other possibility of what could have happened on Galactica as well with more desperation and less scruples on the military side.

Interestingly the german ZDF has a mini-series running about the real story of the german Wehrmacht during WWII without the mythology that they were "just doing their jobs" and mostly leaving the atrocities to the SS... In some ways the (self-)degradation of the german army all the way up to (and down from) the generals back then is echoed in Razor, but that was most probably not the primary intent there. The same principle likely applies to every army not kept in check internally and/or externally.

They're remaining painfully on topic in some respects, and still decidedly sci-fi nonetheless. Quite respectable, as always.

Where the hell did the old model Toasters come from? Were they all still in service?

Well, you know... old toasters never die, they just get thrown away...

They reminded me of those japanese soldiers who never realized WWII was long over and remained on post.

[Edited 2007-11-28 16:56:27]