HALFA
Topic Author

Does Hawaii Deserve A BCS Bowl Game?

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:24 am

That is the question being asked on ESPN.com's College Football page and as a lifelong U of H football fan and season ticket holder, I find the results fascinating.
With over 44,000 votes counted, the overwhelming majority says yes!! Only residents of two states (Louisiana and Arkansas) say no. What I found even more interesting was that voters in all states except the SE corner of the U.S. voted yes by over 60% and most states with small populations voted yes by margins greater than 75%!
It all doesn't matter really, but I found it interesting. If Hawaii wins it's last regular season game this weekend against U of Washington, they should be a lock for a BCS game. I really don't care where it is, or who we play, all I know is that I am going!
It will be a dream!
How do you guys feel? Is UH deserving? Why or why not?

Aloha,
HALFA
HA J Class Lie flats, coming soon to a plane near you........

jpetekyxmd80

RE: Does Hawaii Deserve A BCS Bowl Game?

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:58 am

Absolutely, especially with their willingness to pursue challenging games out of conference. Not their fault for educing collective fear from the state of Michigan. Its always an accomplishment to go undefeated, and they're coming off a big win over a very good Boise State team. It hasn't all been decisive or pretty this year for the Warriors, but they've been getting the job done.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

lobster

Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:26 am

Personally, I think the whole college bowl/playoff/whatever it is SUCKS!! It's time they did away with it and went to a playoff system like the rest of college sports. Take your D-I schools, divide into conferences and have a normal playoff/championship game. It just makes it fair for everyone and the little guy has a chance to win post-season and maybe get a championship.

HOMER71

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:01 pm

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 1):
Absolutely, especially with their willingness to pursue challenging games out of conference.

Their non-conference schedule included Northern Colorado, UNLV, and Charleston Southern...they might want to pursue a little more challenging schedule.

That being said, Boise State showed the nation last year that a great WAC team definitely belongs in the BCS: the Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma was hands down the best bowl game of the season.

Right now, all indications are showing Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl against LSU, so looks like Hawaii will get their BCS shot.

Good luck to the Warriors

[Edited 2007-11-28 04:01:36]
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

planespotting

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:13 pm

Quoting Homer71 (Reply 3):

That being said, Boise State showed the nation last year that a great WAC team definitely belongs in the BCS: the Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma was hands down the best bowl game of the season.

Not only the best game of the season - it was literally one of the best games of college football i had ever seen. Those WAC teams bring a different mantra to the BCS - they really have nothing to lose, so they can be much, much more entertaining to watch than our old college football standbys like Oklahoma...who have plenty to lose by using the statue of liberty play.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

AirTranTUS

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:05 pm

They deserve a BCS spot for winning so many games, but not one of the top bowls. Those spots are for teams that played other challenging teams during the season.
I love ASO!

corocks

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:52 pm

You have to commend them for going undefeated to date - that is a tough task. However, I just don't think their schedule was tough enough. They only played 1 ranked team the whole year. If small conference schools want to have a shot, they need to schedule tougher non-conference games. Out of the teams in the top-10 in the BCS standings, almost everyone has played 4-5 ranked teams with the exception of Kansas (2) and Oklahoma (3). I think all those teams deserve a shot first.

Gunships

Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:15 pm

Does Hawaii deserve a BCS bowl game?

Yes.

Good luck, Hawaii.

Pope

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:05 pm

Cheerios belong in bowls; the University of Hawaii doesn't.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

slider

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:18 pm

June Jones is a hell of a coach. Considering Hawaii never won their conference outright until this year, and you examine that they only have a $50,000 recruiting budget (that’s NOT a typo, folks), and you further consider what an aggressive team they are on offense and, as we saw against Boise St, defense, I’d say they absolutely have as much right as anyone else to be there.

Kansas was ranked #2 for crying out loud only because they were in a “power” conference but they hadn’t played anyone either until getting beat by Mizzou. Don’t discriminate against Hawaii just because of being in the WAC. I would LOVE to see them in a BCS bowl for two reasons:

1) They can play with anyone.

2) It’s GOOD FREAKING FOOTBALL, that’s why!! Do you want to watch two hack teams slide into a BCS game that each have at least two losses? I’d rather watch Colt Brennan take it downtown and watch the Warriors do their dance. That’s what bowl games are about, right?

Tom in NO

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:54 pm

Quoting HALFA (Thread starter):
Only residents of two states (Louisiana and Arkansas) say no.

I would venture to guess that the reason why Louisiana residents don't want Hawaii in the BCS is that Hawaii, assuming they beat Washington this weekend, would likely be slotted into the Sugar Bowl. Louisiana residents would like to see LSU in that game.....thing is, if LSU beats Tennessee, we'd likely get LSU v Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl.

Btw, the line on LSU/Tennessee is LSU +7.5.....the way LSU's looked recently, no way I take LSU and give 7.5.

Btw #2, Hawaii should be in the BCS should they beat Washington.....lose, then no they shouldn't.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

seb146

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:54 pm

First off: Is there any team not going to a Bowl game?

Second: There should be a playoff. College football is the only sport I can think of right off where the champion is decided by someone other than the teams. I know coaches have some say in it, but how about a legitimate play off system? If there needs to be Bowl games, let the loser have the title of GEICO.com Bowl or Mead Paper Bowl until the two best teams face each other in the Motel 6 College Bowl or whatever.

That's another thing: Sponsorships of bowl games.... But that is another thread.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

Pope

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:21 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 11):
Is there any team not going to a Bowl game?

Notre Dame

Next question.

slider

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:23 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 12):
Notre Dame

Next question.

I just want to savor this moment.

Notre Dame is NOT going to a bowl game.

Ahhh.... the moment of zen for the day!  Smile

deltagator

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:41 pm

Well I would argue that they have earned the right to play in a BCS bowl game. Nobody deserves anything in my book as it must be earned. What they don't have the right to play for is the national title even though they will probably finish the year undefeated.

I know you have already said this point in past threads but it bears repeating for those folks out there that hollered last year that Boise State should have played OSU for the title (they probably would have beaten those slow ass Buckeyes as well) but they didn't earn the right to be in that game based on their strength of schedule compared to the so-called "Power Conferences."

What I found even more interesting was that voters in all states except the SE corner of the U.S. voted yes by over 60% and most states with small populations voted yes by margins greater than 75%!

As unscientific as that poll is those numbers don't surprise me coming from the land of the SEC. You take Hawaii with their current crop of players (forget the recruiting budget for now) and you plop them down in the SEC and you'll have a sub-.500 record. Boise State has shown that on any given day a mid-major team can beat the old school powerhouse teams but what hasn't been shown is the ability to play with the big boys week in and week out in a tough conference like the SEC.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

wingnut767

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:01 pm

Yes they do. They played within the rules and framework with which is provided to them by the NCAA. They should be allocated a spot. The fact that the voters have not put them higher in the polls just adds to the cry for playoffs.
Yakum purkan min shmaya

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:28 pm

Their non-conference schedule included Northern Colorado, UNLV, and Charleston Southern...they might want to pursue a little more challenging schedule.

They were supposed to go play at Michigan. Lloyd Carr got cold feet and decided to get out of the game. Who did they schedule instead? Appalachian State! Haha. Michigan State also paid 250k to cancel their game out in Hawaii this season. Hawaii then tried to schedule USC, who also wanted no part.

Like I said, UH pursued a strong non-conference schedule. Whether other teams reciprocated, thats another matter.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

aloha73g

Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:16 pm

Another thing to consider is that Hawai'i has been winning on the road the past few years, which for us has always been a huge challenge.

They deserve alot of credit for winning on the road when you factor in the amount of travel they do and the number of timezones they have to cross.....LaTech was a 5 (yes FIVE) hour difference from Hawai'i (over 4,000 miles).

University of Hawai'i teams in all sports travel more than pretty much any toher sports teams in the US. Our perrenially excellent women's volleyball team is currently in KENTUCKY for its NCAA "regional" tournament!!!

If teams are going to complain about traveling to Hawai'i as a reason to not play us in home/away series (Florida  Wink ) then they should give the UH teams extra credit for traveling as much as they do (over 50 hours in the air for the football team this year!!)

GO WARRIORS!!!!

We have EARNED a BCS bid if we beat Washington. New Orleans, here I come!!

The entire state is behind you guys like you wouldn't believe!! I can't wait til Saturday.....I'll be there on the 50 yard line....thanks Uncle!!

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

slider

Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:39 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 14):
You take Hawaii with their current crop of players (forget the recruiting budget for now) and you plop them down in the SEC and you'll have a sub-.500 record.

Have you seen Hawaii play? These guys can play with anyone IMHO.

Speed like that of the SEC, coaching talent arguably better than at least half the SEC, hungry kids who want to play. This is a purely speculative argument from both sides really.

deltagator

Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:55 pm

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 16):
They were supposed to go play at Michigan. Lloyd Carr got cold feet and decided to get out of the game. Who did they schedule instead? Appalachian State! Haha. Michigan State also paid 250k to cancel their game out in Hawaii this season. Hawaii then tried to schedule USC, who also wanted no part.

Us folks at Florida aren't pussies like the Michigan, Michigan State, and USC teams that dodged playing Hawaii. We've got you right off the bat next year and we aren't cancelling.

Like I said, UH pursued a strong non-conference schedule.

I'm more concerned about the weakness of their conference schedule.

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 17):
If teams are going to complain about traveling to Hawai'i as a reason to not play us in home/away series (Florida )

Uhmmm....we're paying you a tidy sum to come to Gainesville. There is no reason why we should go out to the islands to play you.

they should give the UH teams extra credit for traveling as much as they do (over 50 hours in the air for the football team this year!!)

Nobody made you all live in the islands. Don't hold your decisions against us and surely don't expect extra points because of it.  Wink
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

AirframeAS

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:04 pm

Boise State showed the nation last year that a great WAC team definitely belongs in the BCS

Boise State showed the nation last year that a great WAC team definitely belongs in the BCS: the Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma was hands down the best bowl game of the season.

checkmark  I agree. That backhand toss at the end of the Fiesta Bowl was the best trick play I have ever seen in a bowl game. What a shocker! I believe Boise State was one of the only two undefeated teams last year, right??

Quoting Pope (Reply 8):

rotfl  Somebody has woken up on the wrong side of the bed??

As for the BCS, I agree: The BCS should be thrown out completely. The NCAA needs to come up with a playoff bracket for all conference champions and then follow what the NFL does. The BCS is just plain silly.... Just my  twocents 
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

aloha73g

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:21 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 19):
Nobody made you all live in the islands. Don't hold your decisions against us and surely don't expect extra points because of it.

Ummm......I don't remember being asked where I should be born. I didn't "choose" to be born here. Neither did my parents, grandparents, or great grandparents. Not that I don't feel VERY lucky to live here and intend to do so for the rest of my life.

To deny the amount of travel UH teams have to endure, and to not admire their success just a little bit more because of it is pretty lame IMHO. Try playing a volleyball/soccer/football game/match at 4 am your time after flying a red eye the night before.

Uhmmm....we're paying you a tidy sum to come to Gainesville. There is no reason why we should go out to the islands to play you.

ESPN was offering equally large sums for teams to play us this year (here, there or anywhere) and no one bit.

Nobody is claiming the WAC is a power conference....just like the SEC, PAC-10, Big 12, etc there are a few really good teams at the top (Hawai'i, Boise St, Fresno) a few teams in the middle (Nevada, SJSU, NMSU) and a few terrible teams (Idaho, Utah St, LaTech). This year (and last year too) I think Hawai'i would have done well in a BCS Conference.

GO WARRIORS!!!

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

corocks

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:58 pm

We have EARNED a BCS bid if we beat Washington.

They earn the right to a BCS game if they beat a 4-8 team? What's wrong with that statement?

Quoting Slider (Reply 18):
These guys can play with anyone IMHO

Just play with Someone! They only played 2 teams with winning records.

Sorry, just don't think they belong. But hey, discussions like this is what makes sports great.

I agree the BCS sucks, but it is better than what we had before. At least now you are guaranteed a #1 vs. #2 matchup for a championship. A playoff would be great, but I think it is a long way off unfortunately - if ever.

HALFA
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:19 am

Quoting Lobster (Reply 2):
It's time they did away with it and went to a playoff system like the rest of college sports.

agree

They tried. Michigan State cancelled their game here and paid UH a $250,000 CXL fee. Michigan weaseled out of their game too, and USC and Indiana wouldn't have us at their place. N. Colorado, and Charleston Southern were all that was left at such late notice. A 10 game (5 home game) schedule would not sit well with season ticket holders like myself.
Don't knock UNLV. They crushed UTAH which crushed UCLA which beat CAL which beat Tennessee which beat Kentucky which beat LSU! That means the Warriors are better than LSU!  

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 4):
Not only the best game of the season - it was literally one of the best games of college football i had ever seen.

agree

Quoting COrocks (Reply 6):
If small conference schools want to have a shot, they need to schedule tougher non-conference games.

see above

Quoting Pope (Reply 8):

Not even the Poulan Weed-Eater Bowl?

Quoting Slider (Reply 9):
I'd rather watch Colt Brennan take it downtown and watch the Warriors do their dance. That's what bowl games are about, right?

Me too! Hawaii football is very entertaining this year!

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 10):
Louisiana residents would like to see LSU in that game.....thing is, if LSU beats Tennessee, we'd likely get LSU v Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl.

And do Louisiana residents (and LSU fans) not want to play Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl?

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 14):
You take Hawaii with their current crop of players (forget the recruiting budget for now) and you plop them down in the SEC and you'll have a sub-.500 record.

Speculative and highly unlikely. Hawaii would beat ANY SEC team at home this year. On the flip side, you plop any SEC team into the WAC and have them play games at Fresno State, Honolulu, or the Smurf Turf in Boise and they would all be sub-500 easily.

Add Indiana to this, as well as Virginia and Texas in previous seasons.

Another thing to consider is that Hawai'i has been winning on the road the past few years, which for us has always been a huge challenge.

Yes

Quoting Slider (Reply 18):
Have you seen Hawaii play? These guys can play with anyone IMHO.

I agree. I will admit, I'm a little concerned with Hawaii ending up in the Sugar Bowl if they beat Washington and then facing LSU. I'm not so concerned at the prospect of playing LSU but wouldn't this be a "home" game for them?

Us folks at Florida aren't pussies like the Michigan, Michigan State, and USC teams that dodged playing Hawaii.

Add Indiana, Virginia, and Texas to your list

And the mighty SEC has Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Mississippi State, which just goes to show that every conference has their bad teams.

Quoting COrocks (Reply 22):
They earn the right to a BCS game if they beat a 4-8 team? What's wrong with that statement?

No, they earn the right to a BCS game by beating a 4-8 team and capping off an undefeated regular season. Something that NO other DIV-1A team can say. Yes, there were cupcakes on Hawaii's schedule this year. Fact is, we BEAT our cupcakes! LSU lost at home to an unranked opponent. USC lost at home to an unranked opponent. Ohio State lost at home to an unranked opponent, as did several other teams this year. And let's not forget how the season started back in September with Michigan losing AT HOME to Appalachian State! If Hawaii beats Washington, I say Hawaii has earned their way to the big dance.

Go WARRIORS!!

HALFA

[Edited 2007-11-28 17:22:36]

corocks

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:27 am

Quoting HALFA (Reply 23):
Yes, there were cupcakes on Hawaii's schedule this year. Fact is, we BEAT our cupcakes! LSU lost at home to an unranked opponent. USC lost at home to an unranked opponent. Ohio State lost at home to an unranked opponent,

I would hardly call a 8-4 Arkansas and a 9-5 Illinois cupcakes. I call Idaho, N. Colorado and Utah State cupcakes.

The combined record of Hawaii's opponents is 47-81. That is hardly BCS worthy.

HALFA
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:41 am

Quoting COrocks (Reply 24):
The combined record of Hawaii's opponents is 47-81. That is hardly BCS worthy.

If you are ranked in the top 5 and you lose at HOME to unranked opponents, I would argue that THAT is hardly BCS worthy. If you want to fault Hawaii's schedule this year, fault the teams from the BCS conferences that chickened out at the last minute and left Hawaii high and dry with only DIV-1AA teams left to fill the schedule. All the Warriors can due is beat the teams willing to play them. They did. And they should be rewarded.

deltagator

Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:22 am

Hawaii would beat ANY SEC team at home this year.

Doubtful. Like I said earlier...on any given day any team can beat anybody but let's see them do it over the long haul.

On the flip side, you plop any SEC team into the WAC and have them play games at Fresno State, Honolulu, or the Smurf Turf in Boise and they would all be sub-500 easily.

You've lost any and all credibility with that statement. The SEC is a far superior conference in talent level and overall strength from top to bottom over the WAC. It's no comparison.

And the mighty SEC has Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Mississippi State, which just goes to show that every conference has their bad teams.

And two of those three teams are bowl eligible so your point is what exactly? That 11 of our 12 teams are bowl eligible?

Nah...it can't be that because then that would confirm my point.

USAFHummer

Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:29 am

Everything's relative...but the bad teams in the SEC (which this year are Vandy, who was just one win away from being bowl eligible, and Ole Miss), are much, much better than the bad teams in the WAC (Idaho, NMSU, Utah State)...I think most college football fans would agree with me on that...
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

HALFA
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:48 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 26):
You've lost any and all credibility with that statement. The SEC is a far superior conference in talent level and overall strength from top to bottom over the WAC. It's no comparison.

And I agree with you completely. That's not the point I was trying to make. The point I am trying to make is that it would be mighty difficult for any SEC team to win games on a regular basis AT Hawaii, AT Fresno St. and AT Boise St.. Those are not easy places to win games and I don't care who you are or what conference you are in. I have no doubt that as a whole, the SEC is FAR superior in talent to the WAC. Relax, I'm still somewhat credible.  

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 27):
.but the bad teams in the SEC (which this year are Vandy, who was just one win away from being bowl eligible, and Ole Miss), are much, much better than the bad teams in the WAC (Idaho, NMSU, Utah State)...I think most college football fans would agree with me on that...

And I agree here as well. The bottom feeders in the WAC are terrible football teams, and are far worse than the worst teams in the SEC. What I disagree with is the contention that Hawaii would be below .500 in the SEC THIS season, if they were playing in the SEC. I think Hawaii has a good football team THIS season and can compete with any team in the nation. If we are invited to a BCS Bowl game, and play an SEC team, I think they will prove me correct.

[Edited 2007-11-28 20:50:45]

deltagator

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:45 am

Quoting HALFA (Reply 28):
What I disagree with is the contention that Hawaii would be below .500 in the SEC THIS season, if they were playing in the SEC.

When you caveat it with THIS then yes, I see your point and would agree. THIS season with the team you have Hawaii would probably do pretty good in the SEC but wouldn't be undefeated.

I think Hawaii has a good football team THIS season and can compete with any team in the nation.

Which goes to my point about any given day any given team can beat another team. Boise State showed us that last year (in one of the best games of all time) against OU. I still contend that if that same Boise State team had played in the SEC, Big12, or Big10/11 they wouldn't have been undefeated and probably near the middle of the pack. The depth in the power conferences across teams and in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string teams will always be more than in a mid-major conference and that is what separates them over the long haul of a conference season.

If we are invited to a BCS Bowl game, and play an SEC team, I think they will prove me correct.

Well I hope not but like I said about any given day...

ONTFlyer

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:24 am

Does Hawaii deserve to be in a BCS bowl game? ABSOLUTELY. For those of you who have not seen Hawaii play this year either in person or on television (see entire SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East, and ACC lands) you've got a surprise coming around New Year's time. Brennan is NOT a system QB as Timmy was. Can they match the size of some teams out there? No. But, Hawaii has as much overall team speed as anyone in the country. Watch an entire game and you might be shocked by what you see.

Hawaii then tried to schedule USC, who also wanted no part.

Not true at all. USC, can't just drop a team off their schedule at the last minute. Schedules are made several years in advance. Besides, the Trojans have played Hawaii several times and as recently as 2005 and they play again in 2010 in Honolulu and most likely at home in 2011.

Us folks at Florida aren't pussies like the Michigan, Michigan State, and USC teams that dodged playing Hawaii. We've got you right off the bat next year and we aren't cancelling.

See above regarding USC. By the way, Western Kentucky, Troy, and FAU aren't exactly "powerhouses.". The funny thing is, Pac 10 teams have and will continue to travel to SEC schools to play, and other than home and home games where Arkansas and Auburn had to play USC out west, y'all don't want any piece of the West Coast Big grin But I don't remember the Gators, Tigers, or Bulldogs taking on games in the Pacific time zone. Yes the Gators will play anyone...in Gainesville
Doin' just fine thanks...

aloha73g

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:28 am

Quoting ONTFlyer (Reply 30):
Not true at all. USC, can't just drop a team off their schedule at the last minute. Schedules are made several years in advance. Besides, the Trojans have played Hawaii several times and as recently as 2005 and they play again in 2010 in Honolulu and most likely at home in 2011

The WAC Conference Game Schedule was released very late because ESPN was trying as hard as they could (offering $700,000) to schedule an "A" team vs. Hawai'i. One of the options was Hawai'i at USC on 11/17. That is the weekend we ended up playing at Reno and USC had an open date. ESPN's 1st choice was Hawai'i vs "A" Team on Friday 11/23, which after no luck in finding an opponent, the WAC put its marquee Hawai'i vs. Boise State game in that slot.

Interesting factoid of the day:
Hawai'i vs. Boise State got the highest ratings of all the Friday games on ESPN this season and was the highest rated programming of any type on ESPN2 this year. Very Cool for UH and the WAC, which will hopefully lead to a more favorable TV package next time around.

Go WARRIORS!!!

Imua! Na Koa!

-Aloha!

Ti Leaves and Green Shirt already ready for Saturday. I can't wait!!!!!!

deltagator

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:24 pm

By the way, Western Kentucky, Troy, and FAU aren't exactly "powerhouses."

This thread wasn't about Florida but since you opened the can of worms I feel obliged to beat you down with some numbers....and I've already sai din this thread that Hawaii has earned the right to play in a BCS game...just not the title game despite the undefeated record.

Except that Troy was their conference champ last year and is playing FAU this weekend where the winner will win the conference for 2007, and WKU is bowl eligible as are both of the other schools. While they may not be "powerhouse" scholls they are by no means cupcakes and world's better than some of the fodder that littered Hawaii's schedule.

Look, I've already said that Hawaii has earned a BCS bowl game even if they don't get past Washington this weekend. BTW, Washington does not have what is considered the toughest schedule this year anymore. That honor has gone to Florida and Washington has dropped to 5.

Check it out yourself if you like at http://www.tellshowbcs.com/index.html

Florida - #1 SOS
Washington - #5 SOS
and way down there well below WKU, Troy, and 20 points below FAU at the very, very, total bottom of the BCS SOS is Hawaii at #120.

So I have to ask you...want to reconsider that comment about Florida playing non powerhouse schools to pad their schedule? I think you need to retract that since Florida has two opponents with a losing record (none of them cupcake non-conf games) while Hawaii has a schedule where 10 of their 12 opponents have losing records.

Pope

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:08 pm

See above regarding USC. By the way, Western Kentucky, Troy, and FAU aren't exactly "powerhouses.". The funny thing is, Pac 10 teams have and will continue to travel to SEC schools to play, and other than home and home games where Arkansas and Auburn had to play USC out west, y'all don't want any piece of the West Coast But I don't remember the Gators, Tigers, or Bulldogs taking on games in the Pacific time zone. Yes the Gators will play anyone...in Gainesville

Though the luster has worn off in recent years (years after the matches were scheduled) I'd say that scheduling both Miami and FSU next year is a direct contradiction to that comment. I wonder if you could find any combination of three teams that have more national championships between themselves in the last two decades.

Both UM and FSU are home and away series. FSU is away in '08 and UM is home. This reverses in '09.

Add to this the fact that the SEC is probably the best conference in college football for overall strength and parity of the teams and I'd say that not too many people should be saying that Florida's scheduling leaves anything to criticize.

ONTFlyer

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:29 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 32):
This thread wasn't about Florida

And I'm not trying to make about them either. I'm just using the Gators for a point of reference just like you did.

Look, I've already said that Hawaii has earned a BCS bowl game

I never said you didn't

The whole point of thread was not to attack you. It's nothing personal. But don't keep pumping up the Gators and the SEC while putting down the rest of the country. Its myopic and not very well thought out. The SEC is great. Gators too. But so is Hawaii regardless of who they played this year. Trust me, you wouldn't want to play the Warriors.

AirframeAS

Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:45 pm

USC, can't just drop a team off their schedule at the last minute.

Uhh, yes they can...with MONEY! I believe either Army or Navy cancelled their game with the University of Washington a few years back and paid UW money for dropping that game. UW had to reschedule that game with someone else at the last minute.

Washington does not have what is considered the toughest schedule this year anymore.

I dunno how to respond to that, but it does come close to Washington having the toughest schedule in the NCAA this year. It was debated around the NCAA all year long. But it does come close....
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

ONTFlyer

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:08 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 35):
Uhh, yes they can...with MONEY! I believe either Army or Navy cancelled their game with the University of Washington a few years back and paid UW money for dropping that game. UW had to reschedule that game with someone else at the last minute.

Ok fine, anything is possible and everyone and everything has its price but my point is this, look at USC's non-conference games this year, who were they going to drop? Notre Dame? Don't think so. Nebraska? Not happening either. Conceiveably they could have dropped Idaho but when that game was scheduled it was done as a favor to Nick Holt (former D-coordinator who became Vandals head coach when the game was agreed upon, and back to current D-coordinator).

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 31):
One of the options was Hawai'i at USC on 11/17. That is the weekend we ended up playing at Reno and USC had an open date. ESPN's 1st choice was Hawai'i vs "A" Team on Friday 11/23, which after no luck in finding an opponent, the WAC put its marquee Hawai'i vs. Boise State game in that slot.

As much as I wish that could have happened there is no way they could have added and extra game without NCAA approval in that short of and amount of tme.

aloha73g

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:32 pm

Quoting ONTFlyer (Reply 36):
As much as I wish that could have happened there is no way they could have added and extra game without NCAA approval in that short of and amount of tme.

No need for NCAA approval. There is a "Hawai'i Exemption" which allows teams an extra game (used to be 12, now 13) if they play Hawai'i.

-Aloha!

ha763

Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:42 am

There is no question now that Hawaii should be in a BCS bowl game. They have earned it by beating UW and finishing undefeated.

aloha73g

Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:26 am

Quoting Ha763 (Reply 38):
There is no question now that Hawaii should be in a BCS bowl game. They have earned it by beating UW and finishing undefeated.

Stan Sheriff Center tomorrow at 3pm for the "Party." I'll be there!!!!

Aloha Stadium was ROCKING tonight.

I'm in shock/awe/euphoria.

The 1st and 3rd quarters were SCARY.....but Quarters 2 and 4 were the Hawai'i we know and love.

Washington played an AMAZING game. Huge props to them!!!!!

Congrats to the Warriors on an amazing, once in a lifetime season!!!!!!!!

-ALOHA!!!

Sugar Bowl here I come!!

kalakaua

Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:50 am

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 39):
The 1st and 3rd quarters were SCARY.....but Quarters 2 and 4 were the Hawai'i we know and love.

No kidding. Great game as always. But UH has to quit pulling off these last minute miracles. Almost gave me a heart-attack. UH deserves that BCS game, so I'll be showing off my enthusiasm at the Stan Sheriff tomorrow as well.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

dl021

Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:19 pm

Speaking as a resident of the southeast.....

Hell Yes they deserve a BCS bid. They're undefeated in regular play in big time college ball. June Jones is a master coach, and has been one of the smartest men in football since I started watching him play as a Falcon in 1977.

Colt Brennan is one of the top QBs playing the game, and those receivers are incredible. They've done more with less in terms of recruiting than pretty much anyone else ($50k recruiting budget....no lie) and they have beaten everyone they've faced, including the previous years Fiesta Bowl winner.

They better be in a BCS bowl as an at-large entrant at the least.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

767Lover

Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:04 pm

Most definitely, especially when you consider what they've been able to accomplish on such a meager recruiting budget. I know people who have spent more remodeling their kitchen than that.

nonrevman

Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:45 pm

Hawaii has now officially won all of their games and is the only undefeated team left. I think that qualifies for a BCS bid. In a very unpredictable NCAAF season, this seems to be the only certainty right now.

Duff44

Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:11 pm

If Hawaii is in the top 12 of the BCS, by rule they MUST go to a BCS bowl. They were 12th going into their game last night, and I can' see them dropping out.

See rule 3 of the selection procedure: http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility

I think 9 of the 10 BCS teams are set, with one spot TBD:

ACC: Virginia Tech
Big East: West Virginia
Big XII: Oklahoma
Big Ten: Ohio St
Pac 10: USC
SEC: LSU
Non BCS conf champ in top 12 (see above): Hawaii
At-large: Georgia
At-large: Kansas
At-large: Either Arizona St or Illinois

Remember: 2-team per conference limit. So Florida & Missouri would probably be out
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

767Lover

Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:14 pm

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 44):
At-large: Kansas

Remember: 2-team per conference limit. So Florida & Missouri would probably be out

I'm not understanding why Kansas would be the at-large and not Missouri.

us330

Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:20 pm

You know what, considering how chaotic this college football season has been, I say not only do you give Hawaii a shot in the BCS, you let them play in the national title game as well. That way, there will be no more what ifs or questions regarding Hawaii's ability. If they are a legit team, they'll prove it. If not, then they will be exposed on national tv.
Hawaii versus LSU in the National title game. That's what I would do if I had any say in the matter. It would basically tell Hawaii to put up or shut up.

USAFHummer

Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:28 pm

It will probably be Illinois, because the Rose Bowl really wants to preserve the Big 10/Pac-10 matchup whenever possible, so it'll be USC vs. Illinois in the Rose Bowl, IMO...
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Duff44

Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:32 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 45):

I'm not understanding why Kansas would be the at-large and not Missouri.

That's entirely possible, but the Fiesta is hoping to take OU and a Big 12 at-large team to get a big crowd. They're not going to want OU/Mizzou part III.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

JetBlueGuy2006

Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:48 pm

I think 9 of the 10 BCS teams are set, with one spot TBD

I think the Rose Bowl will take Illinois because it has traditionally been a Big Ten/Pac-Ten match up and since Illinois seems to fit for that scenario, it will probably be them.

This will be good for Illinois. They were horrible last year, and to make it to the Rose Bowl would be a huge accomplishment. This would also bode well for the rest of the Big Ten. It would push Michigan to the Capital One Bowl. Michigan State would probably get the Champs Sports Bowl, Indiana would probably get the Insight Bowl and Purdue would rematch Central Michigan in the Motor City Bowl.

But, yes, Hawaii deserves a BCS game. everyone can say the schedule was in favor of them having a good season, but going undefeated is so difficult. Any lower tier team can beat a Division 1 team (App. State) on any given day.

I will say though, that this is the weirdest season of college football I have seen in a while.
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)