seb146

Stupid Thread: Windshield Wipers

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:57 pm

The rainy season started here a month ago or so. I have noticed most vehicles windshield wipers, from the passenger's perspective, go up to the left. There are very few vehicles that have only one wiper and even fewer that have two that go up to the right. Which do you prefer? I would like to get one wiper on my PT, but I have two that go up to the left like most everyone else.
Life in the wall is a drag.

ANCFlyer

RE: Stupid Thread: Windshield Wipers

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:03 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Thread starter):
Which do you prefer?

The ones that clean the crap of my windshield.

Up here that means heavy duty winter blades that are covered in rubber to prevent ice buildup.

And change them often. Every 2-3 months if you're smart.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

bagpiper

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:04 pm

Mine lay in opposite directions when not being used, facing each other, so the arm is at the outer edges of the car. When in use, they both swing up so when both standing, they are at opposite edges of the windshield.

msnell

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:04 pm

The wipers usually go towards the driver so more of his/her view is cleared. i.e the left-hand wiper stops vertically agaist the frame on a left-hand drive car whereas the passenger has the arc of uncleared screen. In right-hand drive cars this is usually reversed.

Single wipers sometimes have a mechanism that creates an 'un circular' arc. i.e the base of the wiper is not it's pivot point and the windscreen is more adequately covered.

Funny, never thought about it until now!!

desertjets

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:07 pm

Quoting Msnell (Reply 3):
Single wipers sometimes have a mechanism that creates an 'un circular' arc. i.e the base of the wiper is not it's pivot point and the windscreen is more adequately covered.

The single wiper was somewhat common on Mercedes-Benzes of the 1980s. The problem with them is that to get a good sweeping arc they need to be a bit more complex than just a straight arm setup. Plus because of their bigger size they don't move fast enough to clear the windshield quickly enough in heavier rains.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):

I replaced mine about 6 weeks ago, in time for the first rain in nearly as long. Advanced AutoParts had all wiper blades on sale that weekend too, 25% off.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

sw733

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:14 pm

I do like swap out my wiper blades for winter ones between November and February. In Kansas City we get more ice than snow, unfortunately, so those winter blades work wonders...I side with ANCFlyer on that one (wow, that doesn't happen much  duck  Wink)

But as far as your quesiton...I don't much care, as long as I can see. Back in Namibia, it is sunny and 1,000 degrees every day (ick), so wiper blades are somewhat pointless, but in Kansas City, they can be a godsend, especially during storm season and winter. Mine are the norm - 2 blades, going from right to left. They work just fine, I guess...no crash yet.

TSS

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:14 pm

Just one of my '69 Lincoln's many peculiarities was that both it's windshield wipers went up to the right. This is normal on right-hand drive cars in Australia, Japan, The UK, and South Africa and it used to be somewhat common on cars designed in those countries which had been built for export to left-hand drive countries like the US, but it is most uncommon for a car designed and built right here in the US of A to have wipers that operated in that manner.

(Another of that Lincoln's peculiarities was that the fuse box was located on the far right-hand side of the dashboard, between the glove compartment and the passenger door...something else I would normally associate with a vehicle originally designed for right-hand drive.)
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

PHLBOS

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:37 pm

Some older cars (60s and back) actually had the left wiper swing left but the right side wiper swing right. The net effect after a passing rain would make one's windshield resemble eyes along the sweep path.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

ShyFlyer

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:37 pm

Which do you prefer?

I've never really thought about it until now. All the vehicles I've driven have the wipers going to the left.

I find that I can go 6 months between wiper changes. Of course, winters in New Mexico are nothing compared to Alaska, so that may account for it.

[Edited 2007-11-28 09:43:17]
I lift things up and put them down.

airfoilsguy

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:49 pm

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 2):
Mine lay in opposite directions when not being used, facing each other

I have those on my Vett and hate them. They leave a big triangle in the middle of the windshield.

Quoting Msnell (Reply 3):
Single wipers sometimes have a mechanism that creates an 'un circular' arc. i.e the base of the wiper is not it's pivot point and the windscreen is more adequately covered

My step-mom has a 500SL that does that, Almost as annoying as the Vett.

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 4):
Plus because of their bigger size they don't move fast enough to clear the windshield quickly enough in heavier rains.

They also make a lot of noise

Also don't forget about those worthless wiper blades that Mercedes used to put on the headlights. Talk about giving a hen a flag.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

AirTranTUS

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:56 pm

Windshield wipers? What are those?

Signed,

Arizona
I love ASO!

ORFflyer

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:09 pm

In addition to that good advice, I use RAIN-X. Best product for the car since A/C. Never has a commercial for a product lived up to the hype, but this sure does.

kmh1956

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:20 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 11):
In addition to that good advice, I use RAIN-X.

OK, what the heck is that?
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

ShyFlyer

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:35 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 12):
OK, what the heck is that?

It's a glass treatment. http://www.rainx.com/

ORFflyer

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:38 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 13):
Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 12):OK, what the heck is that?
It's a glass treatment. http://www.rainx.com/

What he said....  Wink

Available at most all auto parts stores, and of course Wallyworld. It can be a pain to apply. Takes a LOT of rubbing to get on cleanly, but well worth it when it rains, especially at night.

ShyFlyer

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:41 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 14):
but well worth it when it rains, especially at night.

checkmark  Also makes it easier to get those bug splatters off too.

airfoilsguy

Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:02 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 15):

but well worth it when it rains, especially at night.

Also makes it easier to get those bug splatters off too.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Also makes ice scraping easier. I use it on all my cars and my dad's cars when I drive them.

kmh1956

Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:35 pm

Ok...bermuda....no Wallyworld, but I'll check auto parts stores (that'll be interesting) and see if I can get it here. When it rains here, it RAINS.......how is it on bird crap?
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

GuitrThree

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:13 am

Takes a LOT of rubbing to get on cleanly,

If your lazy, they also make a product that goes into your washer fluid tank instead of the normal blue stuff.... works pretty good too.. much more costly, however...

I find that it's best to use after the initial application of regular rain-x.. the washer fluid stuff keeps it refreshed on the glass and you can go longer between hand applications.
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

Scooter01

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:54 am

In addition to that good advice, I use RAIN-X. Best product for the car since A/C. Never has a commercial for a product lived up to the hype, but this sure does.

DON'T EVER use crap like that! As soon as it gets "old" it will stick to to the wiperblades, making them leave a "foggy" smear that makes it harder to see where you're going and headlights from oncoming traffic will also blind you more.
You will always have to re-apply that stuff to make it work properly, so you're hooked untill a rock chips your windshield and your insurance hopefully buys you a new windshield.

Best is to get the old Windex out, clean the glass properly, inside too, and don't forget to clean the wiperblades with a soft wipe once in a while also!

Scooter01
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

luv2cattlecall

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:13 am

I have to agree. The wipes make it a bit easier to apply, and I always take a few with me when I'm planning on renting a car. Don't forget to treat your headlights... I also suggest any silicone based wiper blade...the Triple Edge actually works great for me, the set I have now has lasted almost two years, and that's here in rainy Florida. One thing I always do is lift them up and wipe them with a wet paper towel every time I refill on gas.

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 18):
I find that it's best to use after the initial application of regular rain-x.. the washer fluid stuff keeps it refreshed on the glass and you can go longer between hand applications.

Especially now that they have an all-in-one formula (they used to have one for the summer and one for the winter) that does a great job getting rid of love bugs and de-icing. It's only $2.99 or so a gallon, and I probably manually apply RAIN-X only twice a year now.

seb146

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:34 am

Mine lay in opposite directions when not being used

Ah, yes. I forgot about those. Some of the new Honda vans have them.

In addition to that good advice, I use RAIN-X.

I had no idea how well it worked until my parnter told me about it. he uses it on his windshield and it works so well!
Life in the wall is a drag.

britjap

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:25 am

These days wiper direction is not randomised.
All left hand drive cars should have the wipers sweeping up to the left. This is so the water that gets flicked off from the tip of the wiper is flicked towards the passenger side, and does not get left on the windscreen directly in the view of the driver.
Conversely right hand drive cars have wipers that sweep up to the right.

I remember there was a problem with the first batches of Peugeot 206s (I think) exported to the UK from France because the wipers went the wrong way. Though I am not sure that they bothered to change it??!

Mine lay in opposite directions when not being used, facing each other, so the arm is at the outer edges of the car. When in use, they both swing up so when both standing, they are at opposite edges of the windshield.

Here as well for the same reasons you should probably find that the wiper that is on the drivers side is also the one that is always upper most during the swing and the one on top when they are lying flat.

ORFflyer

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:13 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 17):
..how is it on bird crap?

Pretty good - especially if it's fresh.  crazy  Use the washer as soon as it hits, and it's gone. If it's dried up, it may take a bit more.  Wink

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 19):
DON'T EVER use crap like that! As soon as it gets "old" it will stick to to the wiperblades, making them leave a "foggy" smear that makes it harder to see where you're going and headlights from oncoming traffic will also blind you more.
You will always have to re-apply that stuff to make it work properly, so you're hooked untill a rock chips your windshield and your insurance hopefully buys you a new windshield.

No way. That's a clear indication that you didn't rub it in good enough when applied. I've NEVER had a "foggy" smear.

KROC

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:23 pm

I've been a diehard RAIN-X user for 12 years and I have never had a problem with "old" RAIN-X sticking to the wiperblades and leaving a "foggy smear". Sounds like you had a good old fashioned operator error in your RAIN-X experience.

airlinelover

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:46 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 24):

I've been a diehard RAIN-X user for 12 years and I have never had a problem with "old" RAIN-X sticking to the wiperblades and leaving a "foggy smear". Sounds like you had a good old fashioned operator error in your RAIN-X experience.

Rain-x is a great product.. I've never had any issues with it either
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

MCOflyer

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:56 pm

I change my wiper blades whenever I go in for a tune up. In addition to changing my wiper blades, I request Rain X as that stuff is the bomb.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Scooter01

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:51 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 23):
I've NEVER had a "foggy" smear.

Rack-em!! I'm getting a beer!

You might never have noticed...

Quoting KROC (Reply 24):
Sounds like you had a good old fashioned operator error in your RAIN-X experience.

I am speaking from personal as well as from a lot of customer's experiences/complaints.
Being in the automotive service business in southern Ontario and in Norway for more than 25 years, I know there's nothing like a good product I'd like to sell, we tried it for our customers and also with our race cars, and I'm sorry to say, -it did not meet our expectations.
What happens is that a lot of oil-residues from the road is splashed up on your windshield in rainy weather. Mix that with the salt they throw on the roads when the white stuff falls down, it gets hard to see clearly out the windshield when the wipers smears it all up, the stuff is great for a couple of days and then what do you do?
-You have to RE-APPLY the stuff all the time 'cause there is no way to clean it off with a glass-cleaner..-guess why?

-Talk to any professional window-cleaner, what do they use to keep glass clean?

Quoting BritJap (Reply 22):
These days wiper direction is not randomised.
All left hand drive cars should have the wipers sweeping up to the left

Quite right! Has anybody noticed the pattern of water over the windshield if you switch off the wipers for a few seconds while driving at -let's say 50+mph. in the rain?
-Seems to be radiating out from the bottom centre of the windshield up towards the left and right corners, right?
Therefore the left wiper (the important one for the driver on left hand drive cars) will always be working within the air-flow, not fluttering against the air-flow on the down-stroke. Some faster cars had also had a small "wing" mounted on the wiper arm or integrated in the wiperblade, -there were also add-on wings someone could purchase at a general automotive accessory store.

Hope this is of any use to you.

Scooter01

[Edited 2007-11-29 12:02:13]

KROC

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:37 pm

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 27):
I am speaking from personal as well as from a lot of customer's experiences/complaints.
Being in the automotive service business in southern Ontario and in Norway for more than 25 years, I know there's nothing like a good product I'd like to sell, we tried it for our customers and also with our race cars, and I'm sorry to say, -it did not meet our expectations.
What happens is that a lot of oil-residues from the road is splashed up on your windshield in rainy weather. Mix that with the salt they throw on the roads when the white stuff falls down, it gets hard to see clearly out the windshield when the wipers smears it all up, the stuff is great for a couple of days and then what do you do?
-You have to RE-APPLY the stuff all the time 'cause there is no way to clean it off with a glass-cleaner..-guess why?

-Talk to any professional window-cleaner, what do they use to keep glass clean?

First off. When I'm cleaning windows, or when I have seen professional window cleaners at work, I have never seen them use RAIN-X for one reason. I don't need RAIN-X on my house windows and I'm sure that the windows on a building don't have a lot of use for RAIN-X either.

As for your take on RAIN-X. I live in the Northeast. I know all about snow, salt, mud, slush etc. and RAIN-X has ALWAYS worked like a charm. Not one time has it left my windows "foggy" and I would know because I'm an anal eff about my windshield being clean. Any time I have had crap on my windshield that RAIN-X wasn't getting off by shear velocity, my resovior of window cleaning fluid worked like a champ as a nice compliment to the RAIN-X. On top of all that, you are the first person I have ever heard say anything negative about how RAIN-X works. I'm not saying you're wrong or you don't know what you're talking about....well maybe I am.  Wink

Scooter01

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:09 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 28):
I live in the Northeast. I know all about snow, salt, mud, slush etc.

Know what you mean, I used to live just across the lake from you, and we were right in the snow-belt coming off Lake Erie

I'm not going to rant anymore about

Stupid Thread: Windshield Wipers
, but instead I'll ask you if the Century Plaza still exists?

We used to drive to the winestore there at times to stock up for the winecellar, and the owners of the winestore used to book a table at Gigi's -the italian restaurant, where he brought a selection of his wares for us to sample.

-Some of my purchases from there in the mid 80s are still gathering dust in my winecellar....

Scooter01

[Edited 2007-11-29 16:13:22]

czbbflier

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:51 am

The wipers on my smart car wipe from the centre, up and out. One wiper sits directly above the other in the off position. Coverage, except in the centre behind the rear-view mirror and two little semi-circles below the blades is almost complete.

I also use Rain-X and the effect is like flying a light A/C in the rain- the wind blows the rain drops up to the top and over to the edges and off the glass. I've put it on my glass roof too.... it's cool to glance up and see the water racing off the roof at 30+ km/h!

I also add an additive (not related to rain-x) into my washer fluid and it cuts any grease on the glass like it didn't exist.

old  From my tour coach driving days I'll share with you a secret: if you have a really bad build up of grease on the windshield, it's raining hard and you can't see anything because the windshield wipers just streak everything and making it worse-- and you have no special cleaning products to get rid of the grease-- buy a can or a bottle of Coca-Cola and pour it (or in the case of the bus, shake and spray) onto the glass. Wipe it around with a towel if you can, and then let the rain and a little windshield washer fluid rinse it off.

Works like a charm for a day or two until you can really clean the glass properly.  bigthumbsup 

alert Just make sure you do this out in the rain so the drains leading away from the windshield are immediately rinsed out with water. Otherwise you could have a sticky buildup that eventually plugs the drain.

glydrflyr

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:12 am

The Lincolns we use in my limo business have HEATED wiper blades. We put the blades on at this time of year, and take them off in early spring. This is the second season for them, and they show no signs of wear or streaking. They're great for getting rid of light to medium frost, just let them heat up for a minute, turn on the wipers for two or three passes and the frost is gone. The heating element is in the wiper blade, and reaches 180-200F, so the radiated heat keeps the bridge clear of ice. Other times of the year, we use Rain-X blades. They have no Rain-x on them, they're just good, high quality wipers.

We don't use Rain-x on the cars, but we do clean the windshields once a month or so with a three step process that involves using a product with clay in it to get everything off the surface, and out of the surface nicks. The windows really seem to disappear after this treatment, they're so clean.
if ya gotta crash, hit something soft and cheap!

bagpiper

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:27 am

Quoting BritJap (Reply 22):

Here as well for the same reasons you should probably find that the wiper that is on the drivers side is also the one that is always upper most during the swing and the one on top when they are lying flat.

yup

ORFflyer

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:04 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 23):I've NEVER had a "foggy" smear.Rack-em!! I'm getting a beer!You might never have noticed...

No drinking and driving for me - funny nonetheless....  bigthumbsup 

Talk to any professional window-cleaner, what do they use to keep glass clean?

I don't know of too many professionals using it on buildings, but I do know RAIN-X is applied at auto detailing shops all over town here. They charge too much, but it's on their "menu"

Quoting KROC (Reply 28):
On top of all that, you are the first person I have ever heard say anything negative about how RAIN-X works

And the only one in this thread.

You have to RE-APPLY the stuff all the time 'cause there is no way to clean it off with a glass-cleaner

If you consider three or four times a year all the time, you are correct. I personally consider three r four times a year to be occasional.

airfoilsguy

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:11 pm

Quoting Glydrflyr (Reply 31):
but we do clean the windshields once a month or so with a three step process that involves using a product with clay in it to get everything off the surface, and out of the surface nicks. The windows really seem to disappear after this treatment, they're so clean.

Can you please provide more info on this process and the products involved? It sounds like something I would like to do or have done to my cars.

TEBGuy

Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:43 am

Quoting Glydrflyr (Reply 31):
Other times of the year, we use Rain-X blades. They have no Rain-x on them, they're just good, high quality wipers.

Aye... there made in such a way as to apply pressure evenly over the glass, clearing water more effectively. Im going to get myself a set next time i need to replace my wiper blades, seeing as the wipers on my car are rubbish in really heavy rain. They basically have 3 settings: Intermittent, slow, slightly-less-slow.
Remember, taking off is optional, landing is mandatory.