andaman

Against Winter Darkness: Bright Light Therapy Lamp

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:33 am

Hi you guys living in north, tried a bright light lamp?

The dark November isn't my favourite time in Helsinki, today the sun rises at 08:52 and sets 15:25 and the cloudy sky doesn't offer much sun light between. No snow yet, the bright white snow always helps a bit but here by the sea in the Southern-Finland you never know when the snow comes or goes.
The lack of natural sun light can cause all kinds of symptoms like sleeping disorders, I tend to sleep too much and still feel tired. The special bright light lamps have become popular in Finland and a month ago I bought one too. I was rather sceptical first but it really has helped, the day starts more smoothly and feeling less sleepy during the day. I have been using it almost every morning for 30 minutes, while having my breakfast. I think the lamp will be my breakfast company until January, will travel then to Thailand for the real sun therapy  Wink
Anyone else who uses the lamp? Any negative side effects?

The lamp I'm using (in english):
http://www.innojok.fi/kirkasvh/index.php?uusikieli=1
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

L-188

RE: Against Winter Darkness: Bright Light Therapy Lamp

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:55 am

I haven't.

But Seasona Affective Disorder is a very real problem up here and a lot of people have those lamps. But from what I have heard is that you can get similar benifits by using a full spectrum light, such as a florescent bulb intended for raising plants. Using a tanning booth is also supposed to be a good treatment (and you thought it was just for skin cancer).

Some people belive that SAD is influenced by a lack of Vitamin D, which is generated by the skin being exposed to sunlight.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

andaman

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:16 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 1):
I haven't.

But Seasona Affective Disorder is a very real problem up here and a lot of people have those lamps. But from what I have heard is that you can get similar benifits by using a full spectrum light, such as a florescent bulb intended for raising plants. Using a tanning booth is also supposed to be a good treatment (and you thought it was just for skin cancer).

Some people belive that SAD is influenced by a lack of Vitamin D, which is generated by the skin being exposed to sunlight.

I have those full spectrum lights for the house plants, but my eyes couldn't stand that light for 30 min.
Vitamin D sure is important, but here the scientists say SAD is mostly linked to sleep hormone melatonin:

"The light first proceeds to the retina and from there along the optic nerves further to the light sensitive area in the brain (suprachiasmatic cellkernel) which plays an important part in regulating the body clock function.
The sleep hormone melatonin, secreted by the pineal gland, is of great significance to the amount of sleep needed and the state of mental agility. Bright light reduces the secretion of melatonin."
(innojok.fi)

But of course, there must be many factors involved.
By the way, they say the bright light lamp also helps with jet lag, will try that in January.

[Edited 2007-11-28 23:19:06]
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

diamond

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:10 am

Many people are now using LED Light Visors in place of the desktop lightboxes.

They shine the light into your eyes from under the visor, but you can more easily read, surf the web, listen to music, etc.

(note: this is not going to get you any dates ... so don't wear it out of the house  Smile )

http://www.sanalux.ch/ch/fr/prod/img/light_visor_l.jpg
Blank.

ltbewr

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:24 pm

I know of some people who benefited from Bright Light Therapy for SAD symptoms, so why not use it. Part of the issue of SAD to me may not be so much the lack of sunlight itself, but may be compounded by the stresses of the holiday season late in the year with it's baggage.

ANCFlyer

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:07 pm

Quoting Andaman (Thread starter):

I don't have a problem in the darkness, but my Fiance' does.

We have full spectrum lights in her office (4' Flourescent tubes about $10 ea) and in the kitchen at home. Also have them in the bedroom and bathrooms at home. Not like we spend a lot of time in the bathroom, but they do help.

Good doses of vitamin D also work well.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 1):
But from what I have heard is that you can get similar benifits by using a full spectrum light

Exactly.

SAD is very real, as I can attest to witnessing it's effects.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

checkraiser

Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:51 pm

Some people in lousy climates also experiment with High Pressure Sodium lighting to beat the winter blues:

N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

yfbflyer

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:15 pm

Quoting Andaman (Thread starter):

I have the opposite problem. I get really screwed up by the constant light in the summer.