ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Pearl Harbor Day

Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:51 pm

Today is December 7th in the US . . .

Today a new memorial is dedicated at Pearl Harbor . . . dedicated by some of the survivors of the USS Oklahoma . . .

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/07/pearl.harbor.ap/index.html

Salute to the survivors, salute to those that perished.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

airfoilsguy

RE: Pearl Harbor Day

Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:54 pm

Thanks to all the Veterans and current armed forces.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

IFEMaster

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:00 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Thread starter):
Today is December 7th in the US . . .

Isn't today December 7th in the rest of the world too  biggrin 

Absolutely. The Arizona memorial is one of the most sombre places I've been to. A stark reminder of the horrors that we are capable of inflicting upon one another. Makes me even more thankful for those that fought and continue to fight for the things we should cherish.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:01 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 2):
Isn't today December 7th in the rest of the world too

Depends on what side if the date line you're on . . . it's the 8th in Oz already . . .

Damned one dimensional thinker you are  duck  wink 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

airtran737

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:03 pm

http://www.anders.com/pictures/public/04-views/24%20-%20Pearl%20Harbor%20Memorial%20-%20Hawaii%20-%209-8-2001.jpg

Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

IFEMaster

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:08 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 3):
Damned one dimensional thinker you are

Pep, I'm not even one-dimensional deep. I'm semi-dimensional. My dimensions got halved after I watched that awful bloody Ben Afleck movie about the very day we're talking about.

By the way, it's great to see survivors taking part in the dedication of the new memorial. With each year, there are are fewer and fewer survivors alive to tell it as it really happened, so to see them want to be a part of this is fitting.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

dtwclipper

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:08 pm

My dad is a WWII Vet. Served in Burma and India.

My mom was in the US Cadet Nurse Corps.

http://www.cadetnurse.com/

Sadly this group of women, the largest and youngest group of uniformed women to serve their country during World War II, were never given Veteran benefits, as they were under the auspices of the United States Public Health Service.

The U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps Equity Act of 2003:
http://www.theorator.com/bills108/hr476.html

We are loosing thousands of WWII vets every month....while you still can, thank them for their service.

[Edited 2007-12-07 09:12:26]
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

searpqx

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:10 pm

To all those that served in this war, present or departed, a heart felt thank you.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

slider

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:16 pm

Remember Pearl Harbor.

And eternal gratitude to those who sacrificed.

HAWK21M

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:21 pm

Tribute to the Soldiers that fought that day on both sides.

Do the Japanese celebrate this day.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

FlyDeltaJets87

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:27 pm

A Date which will live in infamy.

I visited the Arizona Memorial back in 2005. Unfortunately, I had a cheap digital camera at the time and didn't get many good photos while I was there.  frown 

But here's what I got:
Turret and the leaking fuel, the "Tears of the Ship".
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c334/TripleSevenPhil/Hawaii%20Photos/d017.jpg

The memorial viewed from the loading dock
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c334/TripleSevenPhil/Hawaii%20Photos/846a.jpg

And here's the overview of Pearl Harbor that we were treated with while on approach to 8L at HNL. A view that probably wasn't uncommon for many Japanese pilots that day.
The Missouri is visible, the Arizona Memorial is behind it. http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c334/TripleSevenPhil/Hawaii%20Photos/458d.jpg
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

davestanKSAN

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:33 pm

A heartfelt thank you to all those who perished on that tragic day, and to those who fought, and are fighting is past and present wars. Your sacrifices will not be forgotten, nor taken for granted. Each day we all live in freedom is a testament to your will.

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

N231YE

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:39 pm

Thanks to all the Veterans that kept freedom free. I visited Pearl Harbor in 2005, it really made me think deep in respect to those who lost their lives in that horrific act.

pjflysfast

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:46 pm

I cant not thank those veterans who have fought for our country enough! Tomorrow me and my JROTC unit will be doing a pass and review ceremony to honor those who were at Pearl Harbor, and those who have fought and continue to fight for our country.

NeilYYZ

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:49 pm

Agreed. May those that perished rest in peace.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

LTU932

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:14 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 4):

I would have thought that by now, the remains of the Arizona would have fully sunk to the ground. I'm surprised it's still floating like that over 60 years after Pearl Harbour.

May an attack like the one on December 7th 1941 in Pearl Harbour never happen again! And never forget the men who fought until the last to defend their ground and their country during the invasion. You're all heroes of your country. May those who died in Pearl rest in peace!

dtwclipper

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:16 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 15):
I would have thought that by now, the remains of the Arizona would have fully sunk to the ground. I'm surprised it's still floating like that over 60 years after Pearl Harbour.

I haven't been there, but I believe it has settled to the botom.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

foppishbum

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:19 pm

Today is also my mother's birthday. My cousin's is Hiroshima (of course, not the same year, LOL!) and I'm Veteran's Day (well, the 11th to be exact). We're a big family of important war dates. Big grin
Taiwanese-American :D

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:20 pm

The remains of the Arizona ARE on the ground - at the bottom of the harbor . . . it's no longer floating . . . it sank, Dec 7, 1941 right where she sits . . .

Pearl isn't that deep. In fact, it's often dredged to keep the harbor at about 35 feet in depth.

Arrow

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:23 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 5):
Pep, I'm not even one-dimensional deep. I'm semi-dimensional. My dimensions got halved after I watched that awful bloody Ben Afleck movie about the very day we're talking about.

Amen to that. I turned it off halfway through. I still think Tora Tora Tora is the definitive Pearl Harbour movie, and they used real airplanes (I know, a lot of them were modified Harvards -- but it was still quite a feat).

I've been to the Arizona memorial, and I think it has been well set up as appropriately hallowed ground (water?). As a Canadian, I'm supremely grateful to all those American servicemen who laid their lives on the line to help win that war, in all the theaters in which they fought.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

airfoilsguy

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:26 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 18):
The remains of the Arizona ARE on the ground - at the bottom of the harbor . . . it's no longer floating . . . it sank, Dec 7, 1941 right where she sits . .

The round rusty thing is what is left of the turret. I believe they reused the top part on another battle ship. The white building with all the windows was erected after the sinking and spans the ship at a 90 degree angle.

LTU932

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:30 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 18):
The remains of the Arizona ARE on the ground - at the bottom of the harbor . . . it's no longer floating . . . it sank, Dec 7, 1941 right where she sits . . .

Pearl isn't that deep. In fact, it's often dredged to keep the harbor at about 35 feet in depth.

Interesting. I didn't know the geography in and around Pearl, so I honestly thought it was still floating after 66 years.

OHLHD

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:38 pm

I visited Pearl harbour in Oct, 2001. Unfortunately I could not look around in silence as there was a high-school class making an unbelievable amount of noise. Even the guards could not get them silent. After some time they left. I always like to remain silent at such places to give some respect to those who died.

Is it true that the bodies trapped inside were never recovered? I do believe I read something like that.

FlyDeltaJets87

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:39 pm

It's not floating. Pearl Harbor just isn't that deep. In fact, several ships that were sunk that day were able to be refloated and salvaged. Only the Utah and the Arizona were not refloated. Also, the Japanese knew the Harbor wasn't that deep, hence the modification to the torpedoes that you see in the movie Pearl Harbor, less the would dive and hit the bottom of the harbor before being able to strike their target.
Additionally, if you know the story of the USS Nevada, you know why the ship ran aground that day. The Captain of the ship decided to back out from the dock and make a run for the open sea. The Japanese pilots knew if they could sink the ship the entrance to the harbor would be blocked for months, and thus proceeded to try to sink the ship right in the middle of the channel. Realising this as well after sustaining damage, the Captain of the Nevada ran the ship aground on the side of the harbor. If I recall correctly, there is an American flag at the spot to mark the spot where the Nevada ran aground.

What could be a problem though is that fuel tank did not rupture the day the Arizona went down, and oil has slowly been leaking from the ship for the past 60 years. Environmentalists fear the tank could rupture and there would be a major environmental disaster. However, it's been hard to do anything about it, as the leaking oil has been viewed as symbolic- the "Tears of the Ship". Though if anyone wishes to start a debate on that, save it for another thread.

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 20):
The round rusty thing is what is left of the turret. I believe they reused the top part on another battle ship. The white building with all the windows was erected after the sinking and spans the ship at a 90 degree angle.

Correct. And the only part of the ship that touches the Memorial is at the flag pole.

Kinda' neat how the symbols for the two symbols for the start (the Arizona Memorial) and the end (USS Missouri)of World War II for the US sit only a few hundred feet apart.

[Edited 2007-12-07 10:44:50]
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:42 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 22):
Is it true that the bodies trapped inside were never recovered? I do believe I read something like that.

True.

Left in place.

WHen you go on the tour, it's made known to you that not only is it a memorial . . . the Arizona is also a tomb.

OHLHD

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:45 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 24):

Is it known how many bodies were not recovered?

ShyFlyer

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:53 pm

I just now realized that Pearl Harbor Day isn't even marked by the publisher on my calender (other significant dates are though). And it's a Civil Air Patrol calender!!  gnasher 

I am embarrassed and angry.  embarrassed   gnasher 
I lift things up and put them down.

STT757

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:02 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 9):

Your kidding right? Why would the Japanese celebrate a day which began a War they lost and in which tens of Millions of their countryman were killed, and in which they suffered terribly from fire bombing Tokyo and the Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

After the War General Douglas MacArthur was in charge of Japan until 1951, he made sure to write into Japanese laws many items including their banning of an offensive military (they have a self-defense force). He would have made damn sure December 7th was honored not celebrated.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

OHLHD

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:04 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 27):

Your kidding right? Why would the Japanese celebrate a day which began a War they lost and in which tens of Millions of their countryman were killed, and in which they suffered terribly from fire bombing Tokyo and the Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I think it is a day to remember but not a day to celebrate.

AGC525

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:12 pm

I'd also like to thank not only the soldiers, sailors, and marines who defended Pearl Harbor that day, but also the six Honolulu firefighters who were injured and three that were killed attempting to battle multiple fires. To date they are the only civilian firefighters to recieve the purple heart.

Stay low and safe, brothers.
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

airfoilsguy

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:13 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 27):
Your kidding right?

I don't think he really meant celebrate as we know the word, something was probably lost in translation.

FlagshipAZ

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:21 pm

Regarding the remains of the sailors who died on the Arizona that day...1177 men & boys were killed on-board her.
When they started to salvaged the harbour after the attack, the Arizona was left alone for awhile, because obviously she's was destroyed. After most of the clean-up was finished, attention then turn to the Arizona. It was decided to remove everything protruding above the waterline, including 3 of the 4 main gun batteries. It was also decided that any remains in-tangled within those parts removed were to be buried at Diamond Head. Of the 1177... 232 sailors were recovered. The 945 remaining bodies, are still within the ship to this day.
And the fuel still leaking from her? It has been said many times, that when the last surviving crewmember dies, the leak will stop.
The battleship Utah is still there as well. And she too, still have the remains of 58 crewmembers aboard her. One can visit her as well, if you make advance reservation.
The battleship Oklahoma is the only other ship not repaired. She was re-floated, then sank under tow to the breakers after WWII was over, halfway between Hawaii & San Francisco. Her survivors crewmembers said they rather see her sank then be broken apart. Because like the Arizona & Utah, she still exists.

If anyone reading this, please make it a point to visit Pearl Harbor & Diamond Head once in your lifetime.
May God bless and keep all the souls to lost their lives that fateful day, 66 years ago.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

kalakaua

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:37 pm

I live, work, and study just a skip away from where the Arizona lies. I always pause and reflect whenever I pass by. It's been raining a lot these past few days, and the overcast skies is making the day ever more somber.

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 25):

Is it known how many bodies were not recovered?

Can't really answer that question. According to the USS Arizona Memorial website:

Approximately 15-minutes into the attack, a Japanese high-level bomber dropped a 1760-pound (800 km) Naval projectile, that had been specially converted, onto the USS Arizona. The bomb penetrated the forward deck of the ship about 40 feet in from the bow. The resulting explosion ignited aviation fuel stores and the powder magazines for the 14-inch guns, instantly separating most of the bow from the ship and lifting the 33,000-ton vessel out of the water (there is no physical evidence remotely suggesting the USS Arizona was hit by torpedoes to dispel a popular myth). The explosion and subsequent fires killed approximately 1000 men instantly. In addition, the entire front portion of the ship was left destroyed and the fires burned everything in its path. The fires continued for 2½ days, virtually cremating every man on board. Out of a crew of 1,511 only 334 survived. Due to the immense fire, only 107 crewmen were positively identified. The remaining 1,070 casualties were placed into three categories: (1) Bodies that were never found; (2) Some bodies were removed from the ship during salvage operations. These remains were severely dismembered or partially cremated, making identification impossible (DNA testing was unheard of in 1941). These bodies were placed in temporary mass graves, and later moved and reburied and marked as unknowns, at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific (Punchbowl) in 1949; (3) Bodies located in the aft (rear) portion of the ship. These remains could have been recovered, but were left in the ship due to their unidentifiable condition, indicating most crew members died from the concussion from the massive explosion.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

aloha73g

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:38 pm

Quoting FlagshipAZ (Reply 31):
It was also decided that any remains in-tangled within those parts removed were to be buried at Diamond Head.

If anyone reading this, please make it a point to visit Pearl Harbor & Diamond Head once in your lifetime.

I think you mean Punchbowl Crater, home of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

Living in Hawai'i I have always felt very lucky to have visited Pearl Harbor atleast 10 times. It never gets old, and is always emotional and moving. I have also been lucky to speak to my grandparents and many of their friends about their experiences that day. My mom's parents were both living on Maui at the time and they were all very scared about an invasion which everyone thought was coming. Shortly after Pearl harbor my Grandma was "drafted" from her senior year of High School to be a secretary for the Army. It amazing to think about how the entire country rallied behind the War back then....it was so incredibly different from today.

As for the Japanese, every year they have Japanese pilots and soldiers who participated in the attack at the Memorial for the ceremony. The Arizona Memorial is also a popular site for Japanese tourists and seeing them there is amazing when you consider that the war really wasn't that long ago.

In Memory of those who died....
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

scottieprecord

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:41 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 28):
I think it is a day to remember but not a day to celebrate.

I'd assume it's similar to, but probably less than, August 6th (Hiroshima Attack) in the US - maybe a mention on the daily news and a few memorial services.

History truly is fascinating, and always repeating:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Port_Arthur

FlagshipAZ

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:50 pm

To Aloha73G (reply 33)...yes, you are correct. It is the Punch Bowl Crater. I remember the cemetary there, which is where I learned the story I posted above. I don't know how I got Diamond Head stuck in my memory.
Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

MD11Engineer

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:53 pm

Does anybody remember the American sailors of the destroyer USS Reuben James, who got killed on October 31st, 1941 when their ship was torpedoed by a German submarine when it was protecting a convoy of freighters going to Britain? It was the first American warship sunk during WW2.
There was another US war ship sunk during this period, though I have forgotten the name.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/Dd245reubenjames.jpg

A song by Woody Guthrie from WW2:

Have you heard of the ship called the good Reuben James,
Manned by hard fighting men both of honor and of fame?
She flew the Stars and Stripes of the Land of the Free,
But tonight she's in her grave at the bottom of the sea.

CHORUS:
Tell me what were their names, tell me what were their names,
Did you have a friend on the good Reuben James?
What were their names, tell me what were their names?
Did you have a friend on the good Reuben James?

One hundred men were drowned in that dark watery grave;
When that good ship went down, only forty-four were saved.
'Twas the last day of October we saved the forty-four
From the cold icy waters off that cold Iceland shore.

It was there in the dark of that uncertain night
That we watched for the U-boats and waited for a fight.
Then a whine and a rock and a great explosion roared
And they laid the Reuben James on that cold ocean floor.

Now tonight there are lights in our country so bright
On the farms and in the cities they're telling of the fight.
And now our mighty battleships will steam the bounding main
And remember the name of the good Reuben James.

Tune is the folksong "Wildwood Flower"

Jan

[Edited 2007-12-07 12:02:32]
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Tom in NO

Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:04 pm

make it a point to visit Pearl Harbor & Diamond Head once in your lifetime.

Pearl Harbor is absolutely on my life's to-do list.

May God bless and keep all the souls to lost their lives that fateful day, 66 years ago.

Amen to that  tombstone 

New Orleans is fortunate in that we host the National World War II Museum.....on my last tour through the museum a few weeks ago, I noticed something that I didn't recall seeing before...a tribute to Mess Attendant Doris Miller, who was stationed aboard the USS West Virginia and received the Navy Cross for his actions during the attack:
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l264/tmoore065/DSC06165.jpg?t=1197057642

Thanks, Pep, for starting this thread!

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

dl021

Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:04 pm

I visited the USS Arizona memorial three weeks ago. Here's the photos, including one of a very important moment for me. I was allowed to assist in flag raisings on the memorial, and now have one at home.

Where it started
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/ewobjr/DSC_0815.jpg

Results

If you look carefully you'll see fish swimming through the oily water over the hatch next to the exposed funnel....I wonder if that's a metaphor of life from death?
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/ewobjr/DSC_0911.jpg

Raising the flag with the park ranger
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/ewobjr/DSC_0934.jpg

On my own

On high, I can't really describe what emotions were running here...
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/ewobjr/DSC_0942.jpg

what was wrought from this
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/ewobjr/DSC_0844.jpg

and to the omega
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/ewobjr/DSC_0872.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/ewobjr/DSC_0870.jpg

The memorial is a tribute to the sailors, soldiers, marines, airmen and civilians who died that day. It serves also as a reminder of the cost of our liberty.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

FlagshipAZ

Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:09 pm

To MD11engineer (reply 36)...the destroyers Greer & Kearny were attacked by German U-boats prior to the sinking the Reuben James. The Greer & Kearny survived the attacks.
This A.netter remembers the USS Reuben James (DD-245).
Regards.

davestanKSAN

Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:19 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 38):

Great photos Ian. Can't imagine how much emotion that must have invoked. Thanks for sharing them.

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

Banco

Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:22 pm

Quoting FlagshipAZ (Reply 39):
This A.netter remembers the USS Reuben James (DD-245).

As does any student of the Battle of the Atlantic. In those fraught times, the US escort presence, small as it was, was absolutely critical to an overburderned Royal Navy.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

AirportSeven

Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:32 pm

One from my personal collection, this is a view of the memorial from Langley Avenue on Ford Island.

scottieprecord

Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:33 pm

Well, apparently discussing the history of Pearl Harbor on Pearl Harbor day is off-topic... But either way, I realized I had yet to give my thanks and praise to men and women of past and present in our armed services - the true guardians of freedom. Thank you.

Mike

aloha73g

Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:43 pm

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...e/2007/Dec/07/br/br6591723480.html
An article about the memorial service today. According to it, over 900 sailors remain entombed in the USS Arizona.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

fxramper

Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:25 pm

Had a 3rd cousin on the West Virginia. He's in a retirement home in San Diego now. This day has always been a special one for my family.

Hats off to all World War II veterans.

yes 

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/g10000/g19947.jpg

NIKV69

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:10 pm

I went to the Pearl Harbor Ceremony at FRG with two fellow local spotters. There was 6 or 7 veterans of Pearl Harbor and I was able to chat with one who was at Hickam field. I shook his hand and thanked him for his service to this country. I enjoy the freedom this land provides and he and the others who put their lives ahead of everything including family to provide this are the reason. I have never made it to Pearl Harbor but I will.

Again a big thanks to all that fought evil that day and to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. R.I.P

[Edited 2007-12-07 15:46:08]
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

JGPH1A

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:23 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 2):
Absolutely. The Arizona memorial is one of the most sombre places I've been to.

Sombre ? I went twice, once many years ago and I went to the memorial itself on the ferry, the place was very busy and 80% of the visitors were Japanese, it wasn't exactly a party atmosphere, but it wasn't quite solemn respect either. The second time we'd missed the last ferry, and had to content ourselves with a look around the museum.

Historically it's a fascinating place, and it's very interesting to see the location of this pivotal event. The museum is small but very interesting and refreshingly human (it would be very easy to turn it into a sort of awe-inspiring shrine) - lots of artefacts and relics from many of the ships that were sunk or damaged, and (apparently, from what I can tell) a very non-partisan exposition of the events of 7th December 1941, with equal space given to the Japanese and American "views" of the attack.

The story of the Arizona is interesting too, she was a very old ship when she was sunk, having been launched in 1916.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

geedo

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:27 pm

Tribute to the Soldiers that fought that day on both sides.

Especially the Americans that were asked to wake from a Sunday morning slumber to defend an air raid while not in a state of war.
I've got Titanic hopes and they aren't sinking

NAV20

Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:09 am

I'd like to add my tribute to the people who died at Pearl, and also to all those Americans who answered the call in all campaigns of the World War.

People might find this site interesting as it contains the text of President Roosevelt's speech, including his own hand-written amendments. It is especially relevant that, besides the attack on Pearl Harbor, the President recorded in his speech that Japan had also carried out simultaneous surprise attacks throughout the Pacific region, including attacks on British, Commonweath, and Dutch forces in Malaya, Hong Kong, and the Dutch East Indies, US forces in the Philippines, Guam, and Midway, and naval and merchant ships at sea.

http://www.umkc.edu/lib/spec-col/ww2/PearlHarbor/fdr-speech.htm

Truly 'a date that will live in infamy'.
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci