austinairport

Have You Ever Been Robbed?

Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:09 am

A while back, as we arrived home after work, school, etc. We noticed that ALL OF OUR GOOD SHIT WAS MISSING. So we saw that our back door, had taken a beating, and had opened. So the guys went in and got a Whole Shit Load of Shit. From me they got both of my iPod's, my Laptop, and my Senheisers headphones. They got a Whole bunch of stuff form elsewhere in the house, but ha they left my PALM ONE(Lifedrive) sitting on the charger on my sound system. And they didnt get my PSP. If you have any other stories, I'd Love to hear them. But dont worry they caught him and we got most of our stuff back  Smile
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!

Springbok747

RE: Have You Ever Been Robbed?

Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:17 am

Quoting AustinAirport (Thread starter):
SHIT

Shit Load

Shit

Looks like you have a lot of shit in your house  Wink Good to know they caught the idiots.

Anyways, as far as the house goes we've never been robbed, but personally..I've been held up once, three guys jumped me in the morning..took my wallet and cellphone, but they were caught a few hours later and I got everything back..except for $20..which they had spent to get cigarettes.
אני תומך בישראל

austinairport

Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:21 am

hahaha LOL thats hilarious but seriously man i never been jumped personally but Sorry THAT IS DAMN FUNNY. and yes we do have alot of good shit in our house!!!  Smile
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!

IFEMaster

Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:28 am

Quoting AustinAirport (Reply 2):
THAT IS DAMN FUNNY

Getting mugged? Yeah, fucking hilarious  sarcastic 

I had my car stolen several years ago. It was in the very early days of OnStar though, and the LAPD recovered it the next day. Other than smelling of cigarettes and a few extra miles on the clock, it was just fine.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

ANCFlyer

Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:29 am

Nope.

First of all, a home alarm system works well.

Second of all, if I'm home, it would be a bad idea for anyone.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

carmenlu15

Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:36 am

Funny you should start this thread... My old cellphone finally died after 3 1/2 years, so I got a new one last week... and had it stolen just this morning.  irked   mad   cry 

Never had a house break-in, though...
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

austinairport

Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:38 am

well we live on out in the country and we've been hit b4, but we just were'nt expecting it.  Smile and i wasnt talking about getting mugged i was talkin bout how he was laughin at how many times i said shit ha  Smile

NeilYYZ

Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:39 am

But dont worry they caught him and we got most of our stuff back

That's good news!

Our house has never been broken into, we have a fairly extensive security system.

On the other hand, my fathers Toyota 4Runner has been broken into a few times. They've never taken the vehicle, only what's in it. This summer my father lost his 2 iPods and BlackBerry, I lost an old iPod of mine, and we both lost our golf clubs in one night. It's not an area where there's violent crime, but there's the smash and grabs from kids drinking and smoking pot in the public park down the road. The kids also have a tendency to rip the logos off of the cars in the neighborhood.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

austinairport

Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:46 am

ha well im sorry about that. ha the longest i have ever had a phone is like 9months. ha i have this crappy Nokia 6102i, but i just got my RAZR V3xx to work. and thank god im gettin a Blackjack for Christmas.  Smile

LTU932

Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:51 am

Not robbed, but I did get mugged two times. Ever since I tend to feel unsafe whenever I leave the house.

austinairport

Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:55 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 9):
Not robbed, but I did get mugged two times. Ever since I tend to feel unsafe whenever I leave the house

DAMMNN!!! TWICE!!! Im really sorry bout that man. Now that sux.  Smile God yall are making me so scared. I DONT WANNA GET MUGGED Big grin

carmenlu15

Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:04 am

Not robbed, but I did get mugged two times.

Amateur...  Silly

I've lost two wallets and two three cellphones that way...  Sad
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

ShyFlyer

Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:20 am

The only thing I've had stolen from me that I cared about was my High School year book my Sophomore Year, with all of the requisite signatures in it. I was able to replace it (for free) and have it re-signed though.

The only other items that have been stolen from me were a gas can (full of gas) and pens.
I lift things up and put them down.

fumanchewd

Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:24 am

I've lived in and walked around some pretty rough neighborhoods. The worst parts of Oakland, Chicago, and Phoenix at 2-3 in the AM. Just a few months ago I was drunk and lost in ATL trying to find my way back to the hotel. I wound up talking to about 30 homeless people camping out by a freeway. I have never been mugged.

I am not a tough guy, but there is a body language that will keep people from mugging you.

No joke.

As for theft. I have had a few bicycles stolen. I also had a VW bug that broke down in a rough neighborhood. I came back the next day and the back window was gone along with my Pioneer 6x9 4 ways in the back. I actually had a $300 Pioneer deck locked in the glove box. I mounted it there and glued an 8 track deck that I bought at the flea market where the radio is supposed to go. There weren't even any wires hooked up to the back. They didn't bother with the 8 track and left the glove box and expensive deck alone.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

Confuscius

Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:03 am

Many times by my bank and credit card companies.
Ain't I a stinker?

A346Dude

Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:25 am

Been mugged once. Lost (well, "voluntarily" surrendered) about $80 cash, but kept the rest of my wallet.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

57AZ

Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:32 am

We noticed that ALL OF OUR GOOD SHIT WAS MISSING. So we saw that our back door, had taken a beating, and had opened.

Not trying to be too picky, but technically you weren't robbed. You were burgled. Robbery is taking property by threat of force/injury from a person. Breaking into another's property and taking items of value is burglary.

As for the question, I've never been robbed or burgled.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

B747forever

Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:36 am

I have never been robbed and I really hope it continues to be like that.
Work Hard, Fly Right

MCOflyer

Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:07 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):

Second of all, if I'm home, it would be a bad idea for anyone.

Same here.

Well, as I deliver pizzas, no. I have delivered to some ridiculous neighborhoods where it is possible but no, I have yet to be robbed from the house or my car.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

helvknight

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:16 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 14):

checkmark 

I was robbed a little while ago by the Aargauer Kantonales Steueramt (the equivalent of the IRS over here)

I got mugged once after making the mistake of coming out of the subway in Times Square after dark a few years ago. I accepted his persuasive argument and "voluntarily" parted with about $100. Funny how a 9mm argument can be so effective.  Sad
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member - Groucho Marx

Birdwatching

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:19 am

Considering all the places I've been, I must say I'm really lucky that nothing serious has ever happened to me. A kid stole 25 US cents off me at UIO. I was paying for the "Trolebus" putting a pile of 5 x 5 cent coins on the cashier's desk and before his hand could reach the coins a little kid grabbed them and ran like there was no tomorrow. I had to pay again but the cashier let me ride for the reduced student fare of 12c, so in the end I only lost 13 cents, and the Quito transit system lost 12 cents.

Soren  santahat 
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

airfoilsguy

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:16 am

When I was in collage I was driving through the city of Columbus at night and some guy tried to get in my car. A friend of mine who was a cop at the time was with me and drew his gun on him. He promptly ran away. The whole situation took me by surprise. I was sitting at a red light, just minding my own business, and all of a sudden some guy starts jerking on my door handle (the door was locked). The next thing I know is there is a gun in front of my face pointed at the guy. My friend told me latter that he saw the guy eyeing our car when we pulled up to the light and was ready for him.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

don81603

Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:35 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 21):
When I was in collage I was driving through the city of Columbus at night and some guy tried to get in my car.

Something similar happened to me in the Bronx, except it was a street hooker, and he/she (gender not certain) jumped on the running board of the truck and threatened me with a gun. Before they had a chance to produce the gun, I just stayed to the left, and they had a choice. Jump back off (at 30 mph), or get removed via telephone pole. They jumped.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

JCKastrup

Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:55 pm

I was robbed once by two guys, when i was drunk walking home from a party in the middle of the night.

Instead of just trying to "persuade" me to give them my wallet, they jumped at me and started kicking and hitting me.

Of course i started to fight back and managed to break one of the guys nose. Eventually however they got away with my wallet and my cellphone, and left me with some missing teeth, some broken fingers (that may have been a result of me hitting back), and a big headache.

They were never found.....  Angry  Angry  Angry
Who the hell wants to fly to JFK? Nobody does, That's who!

G5ive

Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:03 pm

Yeah, the I.R.S. every paycheck. 

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 21):
and drew his gun on him. He promptly ran away.

For some reason, that always seems to work.  

[Edited 2007-12-13 07:04:30]
Do I sign here?

yowza

Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:23 pm

Numerous times for various items. Sadly, some of the places I have grown up in are conducive to robbery. For the record I have been pick-pocketed 3 times in Egypt.

YOWza

lobster

Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:41 pm

About two years ago, my truck was in for some work so I had my moms car. The apt building that I lived in had individual garages. Well, one morning I came out and the people who had parked their cars outside had broken windows and stuff stolen. When I realized that I just parked in my garage, but didn't shut the door, I could just feel that they hit my too. Well, they took out my back passenger window, got a $300 pool cue and a really nice Minnesota Wild leather jacket. I swear that if I ever find out who it was, I'm taking a Louisville slugger to their knees!

gunsontheroof

Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:55 pm

I seem to recall having a number of CDs (and possibly a CD player) stolen from my locker during a junior high basketball game in 8th or 9th grade along with a number of other players on my team during a road game. If I recall correctly, most of the stolen goods were recovered, returned, and subsequently sold off as I grew older and developed a slightly more sophisticated taste in music.  Wink

SA7700

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:15 pm

If you have any other stories, I'd Love to hear them.

• Our beach house has been burgled once.
  • Despite a security system, 0.6 inch burglar bars and security gates in our farm house, we have been burgled 6 times there.
  • My dad's first Toyota Hilux pick-up was stolen from the driveway in front of their house and never found again.
  • On three occasions thereafter, they attempted to steal my dad's second Toyota Hilux pick-up; despite a locked gearlock, car alarm and immobilizer.
  • A patient lifted my cell phone and wallet from my briefcase in my office.
  • My car was broken into in a busy shopping mall and I lost about a $1000 worth of CD's, as well as my luggage.
  • My car was stolen from the driveway in front of my house, despite a locked gearlock and immobilizer. The police phoned me about a year after the incident and told me that they found my car's engine. I was asked whether I would be able to positively identify the engine....  banghead 
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

Toast

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:28 pm

Never robbed or burgled, mugged once in a bus in Brussels. A random guy leapt at me and grabbed my throat from behind. He was torn off my back and held down by other passengers (the bus was chock-full) within a second. Turned out to be a mental patient. The incident was over in 5 minutes, the guy was picked up by the hospital and I accepted excuses from the nurse he was on the bus with.

Other than that, nothing, which is rather lucky as I've been to (and lived in) some rather shady areas during my life. Maybe my appearance (rather massive  Smile ) helped to avoid problems, and I think my innate ability to sense trouble before it bites me in the ass has been helpful as well.  Smile
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

usatoeze

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:59 pm

Every single member of my wife's family in the Northern Suburbs of Buenos Aires, Argentina has been robbed at gunpoint at least once. My stepson has been robbed at gunpoint twice, and he just turned 11. He asked me the other day if he should leave his Nintendo DS at home in SoCal (Which is relatively safe) instead of taking it to Buenos Aires, and I asked him why....He said remember when the guy with the gun took my backpack, jacket, and shoes?

I think most of our 1st world stories are pathetic compared to that, and no you cant avoid all muggings by just having the right attitude.
War is a very poor political tool

Birdwatching

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:00 pm

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 28):
pick-up

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 28):
pick-up

Hey, there are no pick-ups in South Africa! Last time I checked, there were only bakkies!  yes 

Soren  santahat 
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

BN747

Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:07 am

Several Occasions...

Once I had my business broken into (by a former employer turn biz-rival I suspect) ...
...came to work, the front door was ajar. I proceeded with caution to enter and the place was in shambles.
All my computers had their cables severed and 'they were all gone...' ... just the cables/cords lying about and plugged into wall sockets.

Another occasion, with a few friends in a Sunset Blvd restaurant, which dining, I notice a guy appear to be arguing with the cashier..

..next thing I know he punches her, I stand up only to see him draw a 9mm and then I look towards the door..and there's a 2nd guy standing against it (as in...no one's leaving) and he's waving a TEC-9 -- a 3rd guy became instantly noticeable as he had some type of handgun.. but by this time I was already given to instinct to hit the floor. Pandemonium swept everyone in the restaurant until one of robbers shouted "everyone on the floor and no one gets hurt!" ...

..of course, everyone got jacked-

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

jamesjimlb

Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:26 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 32):
USER PROFILESEND INSTANT MSGADD TO RESP USERSSUGGEST DELETIONQUOTE SELECTED TEXT_

BN747 From United States, joined Mar 2002, 3484 posts, RR: 37
Reply 32, posted Thu Dec 13 2007 14:07:55 your local time (2 hours 13 minutes 34 secs ago) and read 30 times:

Several Occasions...

Once I had my business broken into (by a former employer turn biz-rival I suspect) ...
...came to work, the front door was ajar. I proceeded with caution to enter and the place was in shambles.
All my computers had their cables severed and 'they were all gone...' ... just the cables/cords lying about and plugged into wall sockets.

Another occasion, with a few friends in a Sunset Blvd restaurant, which dining, I notice a guy appear to be arguing with the cashier..

..next thing I know he punches her, I stand up only to see him draw a 9mm and then I look towards the door..and there's a 2nd guy standing against it (as in...no one's leaving) and he's waving a TEC-9 -- a 3rd guy became instantly noticeable as he had some type of handgun.. but by this time I was already given to instinct to hit the floor. Pandemonium swept everyone in the restaurant until one of robbers shouted "everyone on the floor and no one gets hurt!" ...

..of course, everyone got jacked-

thats some really scary stuff! holy crap!

Quoting Usatoeze (Reply 30):
Every single member of my wife's family in the Northern Suburbs of Buenos Aires, Argentina has been robbed at gunpoint at least once. My stepson has been robbed at gunpoint twice, and he just turned 11. He asked me the other day if he should leave his Nintendo DS at home in SoCal (Which is relatively safe) instead of taking it to Buenos Aires, and I asked him why....He said remember when the guy with the gun took my backpack, jacket, and shoes?

I think most of our 1st world stories are pathetic compared to that, and no you cant avoid all muggings by just having the right attitude.

that sucks!

ive never been robbed almost kidnapped once though scary stuff.
The sky is no longer the limit, but the mere minimum

AF340

Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:47 am

Quoting JamesJimlb (Reply 33):
almost kidnapped once though scary stuff.

OK you HAVE to explain that one!  Wow!

My house has been robbed once. I was about 3 years old but I still remember it. We came home (mom and I) and there was a guy running down the stairs and then he ran out of the front door. He ran down the street and to my knowledge he was never caught. All he stole was my dad's pager... jokes on him when it goes off at 2 am telling him to deliver a baby!   

AF340  

[Edited 2007-12-13 18:47:47]

Dougloid

Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:10 am

I've had the usual residential burglary-that's your introduction to life in southern California....but robbed, no. I did walk in on a bank robbery one time. I was on my way into the driveway of the bank when four dudes with sawed off shotguns and ski masks came running out. I dove to the floor of my Ford Falcon and they burned rubber out of the place. They dumped their car a few blocks away.I went on in and people were picking themselves up off the floor. One of the ladies wasn't quick enough with the cash and they decked her. The FBI dude said they knew who was doing it but they'd not been able to catch them at work.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

halls120

Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:17 am

A while back, as we arrived home after work, school, etc. We noticed that ALL OF OUR GOOD SHIT WAS MISSING.

Never been the victim of a residential burglary here - yet. I won't be surprised if it happens.

Not robbed, but I did get mugged two times. Ever since I tend to feel unsafe whenever I leave the house.

Sorry to hear that. You should never be afraid to leave your own home.

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 13):
I am not a tough guy, but there is a body language that will keep people from mugging you.

Agree. I've avoided several potential muggings because I always take care to not be in a place where I am susceptible of being mugged, and I'm always very aware of my surroundings.

last time was in Curacao. Fellow started following me, and I made eye contact with him to let him know I was aware of his intentions. As soon as I did that, he peeled off.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

austinairport

Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 16):
Not trying to be too picky, but technically you weren't robbed. You were burgled. Robbery is taking property by threat of force/injury from a person. Breaking into another's property and taking items of value is burglary.

As for the question, I've never been robbed or burgled.

Well thanks for the correction  Smile

SA7700

Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:29 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 31):
Last time I checked, there were only bakkies!

Now that would have left a lot of confused A.netters here  Smile
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

Nuori5084

Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:35 am

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 16):

Thank you!

Most people go into cardiac arrest here (you know who you are) because of the media getting facts and/or statements wrong; well it drives me crazy to read about people who don't know the law(s).

I've never been robbed. If it did happen, it would only go as far as an attempted robbery and it would be their last human contact in their life.
Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

jamesjimlb

Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:11 pm

Quoting AF340 (Reply 34):
OK you HAVE to explain that one!  

sitting at this dentist office as a young child while my mom is in with the dentist.
i look across the room and see theese two guys pointing at me and whispereing to each other, then they came and sat next to me and asked me some questions, i was out of the waiting room and with my mom in a flash, i came back out they were gone.
The sky is no longer the limit, but the mere minimum

fumanchewd

Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:13 am

Quoting Usatoeze (Reply 30):
and no you cant avoid all muggings by just having the right attitude.

I didn't say attitude, it was body language. Believe me or not. I think we live in two different realities.

Image in this world is everything. If you portray a certain image (even if it is bs) you will be left alone. I learned this as a kid getting my ass beat daily in Chicago. I confirmed this in prison. It comes down to your walk, where your eyes look, and what you are wearing.

It helps when you're not afraid to die.

That's something that is easily read by others.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

CaptOveur

Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:16 am

I get robbed every semester when I pay my tuition
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

KevinL1011

Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:29 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 14):

No. That would be Rape.

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 42):
I get robbed every semester when I pay my tuition

Don't forget this guy!

474218, Carl, You will be missed.

OHLHD

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:51 am

Some idiots tried that when I was at home. I put on my bicycle helmet, graped anti-sharp sword and a 20cm knife and stood by the door. Outside where two young boys trying to open my super 4 lock safety door. In a calm manner I advised them to stop ( door still closed) otherwise I would come outside. They run away immediately.

My sister and my ex-girlfriend did not have that luck and both got robbed while at university.

ebj1248650

Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:33 pm

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 7):
Our house has never been broken into, we have a fairly extensive security system.

Our house was broken into about a month after we moved in. We didn't know the neighborhood was a bit on the rough side. We installed a burglar alarm system and let it go at that, but about a year later an attempt was made to break in again. They didn't get in because the alarm went off, but it wasn't long before we put a fence around the place and we keep the gate locked. No further problems since.
Dare to dream; dream big!

huskyaviation

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:15 pm

My house hasn't been broken into luckily, but in January 1981 my parent's house was robbed. I don't remember what was taken, but the burglars beat up our 6 month old German Shepherd puppy very badly, we guess after he tried to defend the house. He went from being very sweet to being aggressive and distrustful of everyone except my dad. He eventually hit 100lbs., and we had to give him away after he tried biting me once, and he also bit the UPS delivery man and my grandfather.  crying 

Then on Dec. 22, 1992, my grandparent's house was robbed on the NJ shore, and all the Xmas presents they had bought were all taken. Of course, all that stuff could be replaced, but my grandmother suffered a severe stroke on Xmas day, most likely due in part to the stress. It was not a happy Xmas at all for our family.

I've never been mugged. A colleague of mine was held up at gunpoint outside our office a few months ago, so everyone has been on guard a little bit after dark!

Dougloid

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:23 pm

Quoting HuskyAviation (Reply 46):
Then on Dec. 22, 1992, my grandparent's house was robbed on the NJ shore, and all the Xmas presents they had bought were all taken. Of course, all that stuff could be replaced, but my grandmother suffered a severe stroke on Xmas day, most likely due in part to the stress. It was not a happy Xmas at all for our family.

People who steal, suck. They suck bad, and there's no disguising the fact, and nothing is served by arguing as they often do that the 'victim' was a department store or a vending machine that didn't serve them fast enough, or they were mistreated as youngsters. They suck.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

n710ps

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:36 pm

I got a 500 dollar watch robbed when I was 14 in Florida that my dad had bought for me the previous year in Italy. Now, I am protected by my close friend and I call him Browning  Wink. Well that is what the world calls him too. If anyonme has the balls to threaten me, or my loved ones or our items I will defend.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

AF340

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:53 pm

Quoting N710PS (Reply 48):
I am protected by my close friend and I call him Browning . Well that is what the world calls him too. If anyonme has the balls to threaten me, or my loved ones or our items I will defend.

Wow! All I have is a dog... and a circular saw  Wink

AF340 wave