Arniepie

First President Of Europe In 2009

Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:53 pm

As you might know (or not know) ,today a new treaty was signed by all EU member-states which has far going consequences, one of them is that for the first time we will have a EU minister / secretary of foreign affairs and more importantly a real president starting in 2009.

So who do you want to see as the first EU president (and minister of foreign affairs), don't let nationality be the only determining factor, be creative.

For me I wouldn't mind T. Blair as the first EU president, he still is young enough and he might be acceptable for both the supporters for the EU and the more critical members.

Minister for foreign affairs would be good for the current commission president, the Portuguese ex PM J. Solano, he has some charisma, is a good diplomat and is multi linguistic.
[edit post]

gkirk

RE: First President Of Europe In 2009

Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:57 pm

Well, if it's French or German, that would not be a surprise. Anything else would be a huge surprise.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

IFEMaster

Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:03 pm

Jeremy Clarkson. He'd make an excellent president. Richard Hammond could be the minister for foreign affairs, and James May could be their spin doctor.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

BCAL

Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:11 pm

Quoting ArniePie (Thread starter):
For me I wouldn't mind T. Blair as the first EU president, he still is young enough and he might be acceptable for both the supporters for the EU and the more critical members

What Tony B Liar the PM who could lie and cheat and still come up smelling of roses? In comparison his Government made the crooks in John Major's Government seem like angels. Bliar wanted to be portrayed as a Hollywood film star or a footballer like His Holyness Beckham, appealing to the masses, and acted like one rather than a politician.

And the sponging Cherrie DeVil as the first European lady, who bowed to Mugabe yet refused to curtsy to the Queen? The thought frightens me.

duck 
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

gkirk

Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:12 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 2):
Jeremy Clarkson. He'd make an excellent president. Richard Hammond could be the minister for foreign affairs, and James May could be their spin doctor.

Would definitely back that idea  Wink
Although would have to give The Stig a job as well... scratchchin 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

BCAL

Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:16 pm

Jeremy Clarkson. He'd make an excellent president

A good choice but Jeremy Clarkson loves life and cannot tolerate the PC brigade, the do-gooders, the idiots and others who make life a misery. He would be unpopular since he loves to burst their cosy, little bubbles.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

Arniepie

Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:18 pm

Clarkson as president , that would be interesting indeed.
First point on the agenda would be a EU wide implementation of the German Autobahn rules Big grin
[edit post]

LTU932

Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:22 pm

As long as the candidates don't include those from the current SPD in Germany, Jacques Chirac, Silvio Berlusconi, Gerhard Schröder and Edmund Stoiber, anyone is fine by me. I'd like to see someone from the Nordic countries become EU President, so the whole thing doesn't become and all French-German affair.

EDIT:

Quoting ArniePie (Reply 6):
First point on the agenda would be a EU wide implementation of the German Autobahn rules

bigthumbsup 

[Edited 2007-12-13 11:24:53]

Toast

Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:30 pm

My candidate would be Jean-Claude Juncker from Luxembourg.

In any case, the person I would vote for would have to be multilingual, cosmopolitan, socially liberal, irreligious, and with lots of experience in foreign affairs. No provincial, [insert whatever]-phobic, warmongering or senile politician from any country could ever be acceptable to me.
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

joness0154

Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:31 pm

You guys can have George Dubya Bush. We won't need him here shortly  Smile
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

JRadier

Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:40 pm

For me I wouldn't mind T. Blair as the first EU president, he still is young enough and he might be acceptable for both the supporters for the EU and the more critical members.

I think he'll be seen as too pro-US.

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 4):
Would definitely back that idea Wink

ditto

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 4):
Although would have to give The Stig a job as well... scratchchin

Minister of Transportation?
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

Klaus

Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:44 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 1):
Well, if it's French or German, that would not be a surprise. Anything else would be a huge surprise.

Looking at the actual history of the EU, that surprise of yours has primarily to do with your rather skewed expectations (see any other EU thread).

The EU has always awarded senior positions to representatives of the smaller countries as well, even far beyond any proportionality of their population counts.

Flighty

Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:47 pm

There is an IHT article about problems and apathy in today's Italian society. Seems like an EU president could help Italy with its economic problems, and Italians are so fed up, they just might listen. It seems they do not trust their own leaders (and never have, much).

The EU seems to be a great development overall. There are so many good things about Europe that can be nurtured by a modern framework.

Klaus

Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:00 pm

For me I wouldn't mind T. Blair as the first EU president

Totally unelectable after the Iraq invasion. Making him a special envoy to the middle east is exactly as bizarre as it gets with him.

Jeremy Clarkson. He'd make an excellent president.

I don't know, really, as entertaining as it might be (for a few hours at least).

Someone whose maxim is "how hard can it be?" may still need a bit more experience for a job like that.

Richard Hammond could be the minister for foreign affairs,

His puppy dog eyes would certainly be an asset, but I think we'll need someone a little more grown-up after all...  innocent 

and James May could be their spin doctor.

He'd certainly make everybody comfortable, but may not be quite professional enough...  spit 

Quoting Toast (Reply 8):
My candidate would be Jean-Claude Juncker from Luxembourg.

He would be a very good choice for a start. He is highly experienced in european matters, highly regarded for being constructive and as impartial as one could hope in real life.

And he has often managed to create a workable compromise out of controversy, all the while never leaving the long-term course of Europe out of his sight.

I'd be on board with him.

Quoting Toast (Reply 8):
In any case, the person I would vote for would have to be multilingual, cosmopolitan, socially liberal, irreligious, and with lots of experience in foreign affairs. No provincial, [insert whatever]-phobic, warmongering or senile politician from any country could ever be acceptable to me.

Yep, all  checkmark .

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 9):
You guys can have George Dubya Bush. We won't need him here shortly

I'm sure we'll find a broom and a bucket for him somewhere...  mischievous 

yowza

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:21 pm

This should be a real barn burner. I have a feeling somebody random will be picked as anyone who has held a high profile role in the past is too easy a target for those against him/her.

YOWza

AirTranTUS

Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:16 am

So does this president have more power than the governments of member states, or is he like the Sec. Gen. of the UN?
I love ASO!

steeler83

Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:24 am

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 9):
You guys can have George Dubya Bush. We won't need him here shortly

I would like to see this campaign slogan  Wink  stirthepot 
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

AverageUser

Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:36 pm

You may want to remember that before there's any president the treaty would have be ratified by all States. When there's next going to be any type of government in Belgium is anybody's guess, and I suspect those who want a referendum on the treaty in Britain may still become the thorn in the side of this presidential roadshow.

Naturally, the citizens of the EU will be able to elect their EU President in a free and fair popular election, right?
(poster exits, in a cynical way)

extspotter

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:45 am

Is there going to be a shortlist and there is a TV programme on at the same time on the day of the election, where people phone in to vote and each country reveals their vote A la Eurovision?

:p

Just a thought...
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

JGPH1A

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:10 am

Me ! Me !  bouncy 

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/jgph/SupremeOligarch.jpg
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

aerorobnz

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:18 am

Quoting Toast (Reply 8):
In any case, the person I would vote for would have to be multilingual, cosmopolitan, socially liberal, irreligious

So not English then.... Wink

I reckon Jacque Chirac will be. He'd like to be the chief mafiosi again I'm sure.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

JGPH1A

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:20 am

Quoting EXTspotter (Reply 18):
where people phone in to vote and each country reveals their vote A la Eurovision?

Royaume Uni - nul points !

rotfl 
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

OHLHD

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:40 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 19):

You have my vote. Big grin

Quoting AverageUser (Reply 17):
Naturally, the citizens of the EU will be able to elect their EU President in a free and fair popular election, right?

Big grin and I would definitely go Big grin  Yeah sure

Doona

Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:14 pm

Is there going to be a shortlist and there is a TV programme on at the same time on the day of the election, where people phone in to vote and each country reveals their vote A la Eurovision?

Well, the presidency would never leave eastern Europe in that case.  duck   wink 
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

helvknight

Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:43 pm

Well Christoph Blocher is looking for a new job

On second thoughts maybe not.

[Edited 2007-12-15 07:47:10]
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member - Groucho Marx

RJdxer

Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:13 pm

How about taking Arnold off our hands. He's wanted to be President of something for quite a few years now. He's too old to be a terminator anymore except for maybe a cameo but he'd make a fine leader for you all.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

Klaus

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:31 pm

Me ! Me !

Oh, shut up, Mini-Me, or there won't be any dessert for you!

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 20):
I reckon Jacque Chirac will be. He'd like to be the chief mafiosi again I'm sure.

I doubt he can evade indictment long enough.  mischievous 
In fact, hasn't he already been indicted by now?

Quoting Helvknight (Reply 24):
Well Christoph Blocher is looking for a new job

I don't think so. He's still the chief xenophobe and populist of Switzerland. And will likely be as long as his blackened heart and his billions can carry him...

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 25):
How about taking Arnold off our hands. He's wanted to be President of something for quite a few years now. He's too old to be a terminator anymore except for maybe a cameo but he'd make a fine leader for you all.

Too late. We have a strict non-return policy after the box has already been opened! Big grin

UAL747

Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:29 am

AHH! You'll have all the evangelical Christians in the US screaming that this is a sign that the world is coming to an end. (One World Currency, One World President). Oh shit, I forgot, "One World Alliance" HAHA!

And you think I'm only kidding....

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

aerorobnz

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:56 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 26):
I doubt he can evade indictment long enough. mischievous
In fact, hasn't he already been indicted by now?

Yeah, Think he has too, but I reckon he'll be looking for any way to get diplomatic immunity he can, and he certainly has enough friends with a lot of clout to be in with a chance.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Rara

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:07 pm

Everyone keep in mind that the president will only be the chair of the European Council, nothing more. He will prepare and convene the regular meeting of the heads of states and governments, set their agenda and bring some continuity into the council. He's not so much a representative figure or even an all-European decision maker.

So I think we're looking for someone with good contacts to all European governments, who has already built up a trust relationship to as many governments as possible. Good people-skills and several languages spoken should also be required. Following an EU tradition which I always found counterproductive, it will most likely be an ex-minister president, and contrary to Gkirk's expert opinion, he or she will most likely not be French or German.

Jean-Claude Juncker would obviously be a perfect choice, but I believe he's headed to succeed Jose Barroso rather (and he should). Javier Solana would equally do a good job, but should take the foreign secretary role. Paavo Lipponen, Jean-Luc Dehaene, Bertie Ahern or Carl Bildt are likely candidates in my view.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

LTU932

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:28 am

HA! At least Germany would do better than Gracia did in the 05 Song Contest.  Wink

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 25):

Does he still have Austrian citizenship? I thought he may not have it anymore. Either way, we can do just fine without the Governator, thank you.

nighthawk

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:55 am

the country with the least votes gets the wooden spoon and is kicked out of Europe for a year?  Silly

paulc

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:57 pm

How about Johan - after all he will be loooking for something to do having sold the site.

Would put a bet on Tony (there are wmd in Iraq) Bliar being involved somehow - despite being loathed at home he is still popular with france / germany and it is those leaders that really matter.
English First, British Second, european Never!

Daleaholic

Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:14 pm

bigthumbsup  Amen to that!!!  Silly

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 4):
Although would have to give The Stig a job as well... scratchchin

Chauffuer?  Wink For the diplomats!

Quoting BCAL (Reply 5):
A good choice but Jeremy Clarkson loves life and cannot tolerate the PC brigade, the do-gooders, the idiots and others who make life a misery. He would be unpopular since he loves to burst their cosy, little bubbles.

But that's what makes him so popular...  Confused
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

sebolino

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:55 pm

There will be no such thing as a president of Europe. There will be a president of the European council, elected fo 2,5 years, with very limited power.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:26 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 1):
if it's French or German, that would not be a surprise

But possibly not very interesting. The French however could delegate Valery Giscard d'Estaing as EU President. Or you might have President Silvio Berlusconi and EU Foreign Minister Tony Blair. While the Germans might send over Mr Gerhard Schroeder as EU President. So that there are many possibilities.

NoUFO

Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:13 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 35):
While the Germans might send over Mr Gerhard Schroeder as EU President.

Trust me, they won't. Joschka Fischer is a different case.
I support the right to arm bears

ME AVN FAN

Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:26 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 36):
Joschka Fischer is a different case.

Silvio Berlusconi as EU president and Joschka Fischer as EU foreign minister might be an entertaining team  yes   yes 

Klaus

Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:46 pm

Quoting Paulc (Reply 32):
Would put a bet on Tony (there are wmd in Iraq) Bliar being involved somehow - despite being loathed at home he is still popular with france / germany and it is those leaders that really matter.

a) Blair isn't particularly popular here either.

b) Things don't work the way you think - the large countries obviously have a say (even if it is below their proportional size), but that is precisely why they usually refrain from installing their own people in the top EU positions, especially in the case of Germany.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:18 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 38):
refrain from installing their own people in the top EU positions, especially in the case of Germany.

Germany might help Mr Schuessel to a new office !

dl021

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:13 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 26):
Me ! Me !

Oh, shut up, Mini-Me, or there won't be any dessert for you!

More like Ruprecht with the eyepatch and corked fork!
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

TWFirst

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:29 pm

I try to keep up on major European affairs, so I'm upset I missed this development. Questions:

1) Does this treaty replace the failed EU Constitution?
2) Does this replace the 6-month rotating presidency?
3) Do all decisions still require approval by ALL 27 members? Or it there a majority or super-majority voting structure now?

Thanks! The E.U. rocks!
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

Klaus

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:50 pm

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 41):

Yes. It is basically the same as the constitution, just with the formal status changes cut out.

Yes. That is the idea. The frequent handovers caused too much overhead and disruption for such a short period, and with 27 members the rotation would get to any country only every 13.5 years anyway, so the old model didn' make much sense any more.

3) Do all decisions still require approval by ALL 27 members? Or it there a majority or super-majority voting structure now?

No, that is one of the major changes: Most decisions now require only a qualified majority any more, both a qualified majority of the countries and a qualified majority of the represented populations. The previous polish government also managed to push through additional regulations, but these still don't amount to the veto they had sought.

Thanks! The E.U. rocks!

Thank you. I just hope they're not holding you hostage in a vatican dungeon...!  eyebrow 

TWFirst

Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:25 pm

Vielen Dank Klaus... I knew you would have these answers.

FYI, I just returned last week from the U.S.E....  Wink I visited my favorite state...Deutschland, as well as a day in Paris, and also changed planes at VIE (flew NIKI & Air Berlin for the first time... great experience except for getting baggage at TXL). A very fun trip, and my first visit to Köln... fantastisch Stadt!

What the states of the E.U. have accomplished together the past 20 years is simply astounding. Not to mention the euro now trumps the lowly dollar (fortunately, from a New Yorker's perspective, beer is still reasonably priced in Deutcshland  Smile )
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

L410Turbolet

Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:30 pm

Now that would be an awesome choice!  Yeah sure With corrupt bastard the magnitude of Schroeder (unbelievable what a fat paycheck from Gazprom can achieve) we'd be "fortunate" enough to witness some sort of Ribbentropp-Molotov 2.... Seriously, I can't think of more bizarre nomination for the EU president than Schroeder or Chirac (and perhaps Javier Dhimmi Solana for the foreign minister).

Klaus

Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:17 am

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 43):
FYI, I just returned last week from the U.S.E....   I visited my favorite state...Deutschland, as well as a day in Paris, and also changed planes at VIE (flew NIKI & Air Berlin for the first time... great experience except for getting baggage at TXL). A very fun trip, and my first visit to Köln... fantastisch Stadt!

Yeah, Köln is a cool place; Glad you had a nice trip!  Smile

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 43):
What the states of the E.U. have accomplished together the past 20 years is simply astounding. Not to mention the euro now trumps the lowly dollar (fortunately, from a New Yorker's perspective, beer is still reasonably priced in Deutschland   )

We've still got a lot to do and to learn... And I'm looking forward to a time when the official relations across the Atlantic will be as friendly again as they need to be. Not that we personally would have to wait another year, however!  bigthumbsup 

halls120

Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:36 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 42):

Yes. That is the idea. The frequent handovers caused too much overhead and disruption for such a short period, and with 27 members the rotation would get to any country only every 13.5 years anyway, so the old model didn' make much sense any more.

My French, British, German and Dutch colleagues hated the rotating presidency. At the annual UN meeting I attend, there is an intercessional 4-6 months in advance of the formal meeting. Invariably, the EU delegation had a presidency at one meeting and a different presidency at the other, and it caused everyone in the EU delegation headache after headache.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

MD11Engineer

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:19 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 44):

Now that would be an awesome choice! Yeah sure With corrupt bastard the magnitude of Schroeder (unbelievable what a fat paycheck from Gazprom can achieve) we'd be "fortunate" enough to witness some sort of Ribbentropp-Molotov 2.... Seriously, I can't think of more bizarre nomination for the EU president than Schroeder or Chirac (and perhaps Javier Dhimmi Solana for the foreign minister).

No chance. The moment Schroeder signed his contract with Gazprom, he committed political suicide in Germany.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Klaus

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 47):
No chance. The moment Schroeder signed his contract with Gazprom, he committed political suicide in Germany.

checkmark 

He's finished for good. Consorting with an apparently corrupt and ruthless foreign conglomerate which is one of the main drivers behind people's increasing heating bills is the surest way to become unelectable - maybe short of getting caught with child porn. Maybe.

AverageUser

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:44 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 42):

Yes. It is basically the same as the constitution, just with the formal status changes cut out.

It's the result of the "failed" referenda in France and Holland. People there voted "wrong", that is, rejected the constitution. The power elite changed the name of the constitution along with some cosmetic changes, and will not subject it to any further referenda, except a coming Irish one, which is a done deal anyway, and therefore a safe one to hold.

That's the way the EU operates. Just as back in 1940, Britain is now our only chance to save Europe from an undemocratic domination by Germany and its allies. See http://www.democracymovement.org.uk/