AdamWright
Topic Author

NewYears Eve W/ Dad In London

Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:40 am

I don't hang around the Non-Av forum much, but I know there are loads of British people on here.
So I wanna ask all my a.net "mates" :

I'm thinking of taking my 60 year old father to London for New Years. I've never been to London but have always wanted to go. What are some good idea's for things to do in London over the holiday? Any good festivals or events on New Years Eve planned?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Adam

kmh1956

RE: NewYears Eve W/ Dad In London

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:38 pm

Drink.....copious amounts of alcohol.....and try to stay warm!!
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

dl021

Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:53 pm

I'll bet Picadilly or Leicester Square will be pretty happening...the Eye should have some fireworks.

I'm jealous...there's alot I'd give to be able to spend New Years Eve with my Dad...anywhere.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

comorin

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:22 pm

I just turned 60 and I approve of this thread! I spent my 60th birthday on a CO flight DEL- EWR with my 90-yr old Dad and it was just the best experience.

Getting to the topic at hand, London is fabulous in the Holiday Season (I was there last week). Like NYC, you can just land up there and then decide what to do. Great museums like the Imperial War Museum, 'Nicholas Nickleby' in the West End, The Royal Ballet, Christmas Caroling and other delights. I am sure Londoners on a.net can give you a better feel.

I am sure your Dad will be thrilled with this - have a wonderful time.

Bongodog1964

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:28 pm

The big event New years eve will be the fireworks around the London Eye, plus there's sure to be lots more going on; just one word of caution though; decent accommodation at this late stage, might be hard to find. Remember London isn't exactly cheap; think New York prices plus a bit more, and good reasonable rooms will be booked by now, anything left is likely to be either very expensive or at the low end of the market. In addition public transport is likely to be running a reduced service and crowded on New Years Eve, so staying out of London isn't too good an idea.

Grand idea to come, if you can fix the accommodation; Most London attractions are open year round, some are even free admission, West end shows are cheaper than broadway, and the pub atmosphere is great.