MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Former US Intelligence Official: Israel Will Attack

Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:44 pm

Former US Intelligence official: Israel will attack Iran

Bruce Riedel, a former career CIA official and senior adviser to three US presidents, including Bush, tells Newsweek he came back from trip to Israel in November convinced that Jewish state would attack Iran. 'Israel is not going to allow its nuclear monopoly to be threatened,' he says

Yitzhak Benhorin
Published: 12.21.07, 12:01 / Israel News

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0%2C7340%2CL-3485225%2C00.html

I am going to play devil's advocate here: why should Israel be the only nation in the Middle-East allowed to have nuclear weapons?
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Boeing4ever

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:35 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Thread starter):
I am going to play devil's advocate here: why should Israel be the only nation in the Middle-East allowed to have nuclear weapons?

Because NONE of the nations on Earth should have them. However some do. Thus we must stop the SPREAD until we can get rid of them all!

Not hard to understand.

Worse still, Iran is run by someone a bit more fanatical than the Israelis. And while I don't trust Israel, as long as they need the US for military support at least they can be controlled somewhat.

They would be wise not to do something so stupid.

I should also add the credibility of the CIA here. They seemed convinced of WMD's in Iraq. Whooops.

So forget devil's advocate. Get your grain of salt out instead. mmmmmmmmmkay?

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane 

LTU932

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:47 pm

I don't think Israel will attack. I mean, would they really be willing to risk World War III just for the sake of making a statement to the Ayatollahs by attacking Iran?

dragon-wings

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:52 pm

It will not be a good outcome if they attack Iran.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

NorthstarBoy

Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:01 pm

I have no doubt that if the Israelis thought for a moment that the Iranians were anywhere close to developing a working nuke, they'd launch the fighters to go wipe those facilities off the map. they did that in Syria not too long ago, they'd do it in Iran and they wouldn't care what the rest of the world thought. I don't want to sound anti-israeli, but i think it's time the arabs start standing up for themselves, start developing modern armies and modern air forces, maybe even unify their existing resources into a pan-arab military force so that when the Israelis get on the high horse of cultural/moral superiority, and decided to wontonly send fighters into another country, that country has the ability to shoot those fighters out of the sky. The reason the israelis get away with being the bullies they are is because they have the superiority card, the best weapons, the best fighters, well, let's even the cards and see if they still act like the neighborhood bully.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

N1120A

Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:02 pm

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 1):

Because NONE of the nations on Earth should have them.

Then how can you justify Israel having them?

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 1):

Worse still, Iran is run by someone a bit more fanatical than the Israelis.

Someone? Do you have any clue who actually runs Iran? This is really moot reasoning anyway, since even the US is convinced that Iran's nuclear weapon aspirations ended quite a while ago.

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 3):

No. It would be terrible for Israel, terrible for Iran, terrible for the region and terrible for the whole world.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Jetsgo

Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:05 pm

Sure the Israeli military has a "tough" image in the region, but lets get honest. Chances are they will not strike first. There is just too much to lose, besides worsening the clusterfuck already going on in the Middle East. Does anyone really want a WWIII? Can the US really afford to back Israel in such an attack? Europe? Very doubtful.

Such a war would absolutely require using nuclear weapons in either the initial attack or defending their borders from the reaction of Iran and other ME nations.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

AF340

Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:09 pm

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 4):
I have no doubt that if the Israelis thought for a moment that the Iranians were anywhere close to developing a working nuke, they'd launch the fighters to go wipe those facilities off the map.

checkmark 

You don't want to mess with Israel! It's like an angry dog in a corner...

AF340 wave 

lnglive1011yyz

Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:28 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 3):

Well, I can agree with that.. BUT.. it would be the *easiest* way for the Bush Administration to throw the US Military into a new conflict.

"We cannot allow Iran to attack our friend and ally, Israel".

Mark that down as a direct future quote LOL.

If I was a person living in Israel, I'd catch the next plane out, and settle somewhere else, if this report has any merit.

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

Falcon84

Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:31 am

If there is solid intel that Iran has halted their nuclear program, then Israel would be foolish to attack, especially with promising talks ongoing for Palestinian state, which could further isolate Iran from the rest of the region. Isarel doesn't need to attack at this time.

There still may yet come a time when Iran threatens Israel, but now is not the time. Let Iran be for now on that front.
Work Right, Fly Hard

MD-90

Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:33 am

If Israel hypocritically attacks Iran over nuclear weapons then the US should sever ties with Israel and withdraw our ambassador in protest.

bok269

Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:37 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 11):
If Israel hypocritically attacks Iran over nuclear weapons then the US should sever ties with Israel and withdraw our ambassador in protest.

And then dismantle our own supply? Hypocracy isn't an answer to hypocracy
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

comorin

Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:42 am

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 9):
If I was a person living in Israel, I'd catch the next plane out, and settle somewhere else,

Well, 20,000 have moved to Anjuna Beach (Goa) , trippin' to Goan Trance- interesting phenomenon!

Falcon84

Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:47 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 11):

A wet dream of yours, MD-90?
Work Right, Fly Hard

VonRichtofen

Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:09 am

Don't forget about Russia. Didn't Putin say Russia would support Iran if they were attacked?

dragon-wings

Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:44 am

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 9):
BUT.. it would be the *easiest* way for the Bush Administration to throw the US Military into a new conflict.

But would it be easy/good for our military? We already have troops in Iraq and on the Pakistan/Afgan border. I think sending our troops and equipment to fight Iran would be stretching our military thin.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

MD-90

Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:42 am

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 12):
And then dismantle our own supply? Hypocracy isn't an answer to hypocracy

Our own supply of what? Hypocrisy?

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 14):
A wet dream of yours, MD-90?

No, it is the rational response that is in the best interests of the American people.

DC10extender

Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:56 am

Because it is their only leverage in a war. If an Arab country got their hands on some nuclear weapons, they wouldn't hesitate to use them on Israel. It is their expressed mission to eliminate Israel.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

lnglive1011yyz

Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:33 am

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 15):
Don't forget about Russia. Didn't Putin say Russia would support Iran if they were attacked?

No doubt --

I think the one thing that the world community isn't really looking at is just how close we really are to a world-wide aggression.

I think the cards are on the table, and it's only a matter of time before someone folds.

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 16):
But would it be easy/good for our military? We already have troops in Iraq and on the Pakistan/Afgan border. I think sending our troops and equipment to fight Iran would be stretching our military thin.

Oh, I certainly wasn't implying it would be good -- just the opposite.

Any more wars, and I believe the US will find itself in a serious problem financially, as well as strength wise.

Again, as I said above -- the fact that the China-Russia-North Korea-Iran connections continue to get stronger, and the US continues to over-extend itself (KUDOS to the men and women fighting -- no disrespect meant to them in any way) in questionable places --- we're closer and closer to a world-wide aggressor stepping forward.

1011yyz

Braybuddy

Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:52 am

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 18):
Because it is their only leverage in a war. If an Arab country got their hands on some nuclear weapons, they wouldn't hesitate to use them on Israel. It is their expressed mission to eliminate Israel.

A sweeping assumption. There are many Arab countries, not all of them hostile to Israel. I really don't buy into this theory at all: any country, be it Arab or not, would have to think long and hard before using any nuclear weapon against anybody. They would know that in doing so there would be enormous consequences.

And to answer MadameConcorde's question, I don't believe Israel should be the only country in the Middle East to have nuclear weapons.

lnglive1011yyz

Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:57 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 21):
And to answer MadameConcorde's question, I don't believe Israel should be the only country in the Middle East to have nuclear weapons.

I don't believe any country in the Middle East should have nuclear weapons. HOWEVER.. if Israel is to possess them, I do believe your statement..

There is room for discussion on whether or not Israel has been an aggressor in the past with other countries (I'm not going to get into THAT one, as it opens a pandoras box..), but any country who has in the past shown to be an aggressive nation, should have people nearby who would be able to help protect themselves.

1011yyz

L410Turbolet

Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:39 am

it's time the arabs start standing up for themselves, start developing modern armies and modern air forces, maybe even unify their existing resources into a pan-arab military force

As if flying passenger jets into skyscrapers and blowing up themselves on a subway wasn't bad enough.  bomb   bomb   bomb  BTW, here's your  trophy  for the most asinine idea of the day.

bok269

Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:55 pm

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 17):
Our own supply of what? Hypocrisy?

Nucleur Weapons. We have more than anyone else on the planet.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

OA260

Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:59 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 2):
I don't think Israel will attack. I mean, would they really be willing to risk World War III just for the sake of making a statement to the Ayatollahs by attacking Iran?

If Israel attacked Iran then the whole of the Middle East would attack Israel and then USA would have to decide to either let Israel be left to its fate or go in and fight along side them. If this happened then the US soldiers lost in Iraq would seem like a drop in the Ocean. In fact we would probably all be dead if this happened!!! Very dangerous road to go down .

DC10extender

Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:57 pm

let's even the cards and see if they still act like the neighborhood bully.

Yeah, why don't we go supply all of the other countries in the Middle East with U.S. weapons. Sure, Israel is the power in the Middle East but they can't afford to be attacked first. It is called preemptive strikes. With these strikes, they can stop a war from happening and still be be alive tomorrow. Israel is seen as the bully but the countries around them are the real aggressors. So if you want a huge World War to start by supplying the Middle East with top notch weapons, that is your opinion.

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 23):
BTW, here's your trophy for the most asinine idea of the day.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

Mir

Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:13 pm

I mean, would they really be willing to risk World War III just for the sake of making a statement to the Ayatollahs by attacking Iran?

No, but they'd be willing to risk it if they sensed impending nuclear attack.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

cedars747

Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:28 pm

Former US Intelligence Official: Israel Will Attac

From my point of view if Israel want to survive than it should attack Iran at once before it's to late !

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

UAL747

Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:03 pm

Bleh, I hate all these Israel/Iran battles. The whole world is acting like divorced parents bickering over child-support and alimony with two bitchy and whiney kids, both "part" of Israel and "part" of the Arab world being the kids. We all know that Israel, be it justified or not, will always have the upper-hand when it comes to its security based on the fact that their allies are all western nations. But, like bitchy whiney kids in a divorce battle, the real fight is fueled by the "parents'" alignment with whatever side they choose.

I say, bring all the Israeli's and put them in Nebraska and South Dakota and put the Palestinians up in Montana or North Dakota, bar income tax, let them become bourgeois, and have all the room in the world. Heck, it would for damn sure benefit the economy of the US, and once they all come here they'd love it. Plus, we might actually start having some flights by some mainline airlines in those states. I would let my tax dollars pay for it just so I don't have to worry about this anymore. It's been going on for 2000 years of recorded history that enough is enough. Who really cares anymore? No one is going to agree...

Then, let the planners of the City of Dubai and perhaps Switzerland, to keep things neutral, build a mega-city in Israel/Palestine, etc., start a state airline, and fly people in and out of there in a bunch of A380's which don't have to go around 10's of Arab countries to get there, and make ONLY timeshare condos available and give only 30-day/year visas. Oh, and while you may have a time-share, you have to have at least one Israeli and one Arab in the ownership, per the laws emplemented by the state of Switzerland. Put a bunch of Swiss banks in Tel Aviv and just make the whole damn place a tourist/business trap, with no ownership, only long-term leases on property, a la Hong Kong.

I promise both Arab and Israeli's, you'll love Montana, and Nebraska, South Dakota, and North Dakota will give you all the room you need that you won't ever see anyone you don't want to ever again.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

JCKastrup

Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:29 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 16):

Exactly...

If Israel attacked Iran, USA would have to send some form of military support to help their very good ally.

As it is. USA got troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, spending too much money on military and suffering from a falling popularity and war-support back home.

This attack is not going to happen before the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan is over.... USA won't allow Israel to attack Iran.
Who the hell wants to fly to JFK? Nobody does, That's who!

EA CO AS

Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:41 am

Because Israel is the only country in the Middle East whose neighbors routinely call for its destruction. That's why.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

halls120

Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:55 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 34):

Because Israel is the only country in the Middle East whose neighbors routinely call for its destruction. That's why.

I was beginning to wonder why it was taking so long for the most obvious and simple answer to the thread starter's question to be answered.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Dougloid

Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:04 am

If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

stasisLAX

Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:57 am

Historically, Israel has performed several "surgical" air strikes against military installations and/or nuclear production facilities within neighboring Arab nations when the Israelis believed that their national security was severely threatened.

Israel remains very much a "free agent" militarily - the US has limited influence in how Israel pursues their diplomacy. For instance, Israel is the second largest supplier of high tech military weapons to China, behind Comrade Putin's Russia. The Israeli government was preparing to supply the Chavez government in Venezuela with high tech equipment upgrades to 22 F-16 fighter jets in 2005 and 2006, but agreed only to freeze (not outright cancel) the program under intense pressure from the Bush Administration. Benjamin Netanyahu is very hawkish, and had a very chilly relationship with Washington during his administration - if he elected Prime Minister again, I believe that it increases the probability that Israel will be willing to conduct military strikes against Iran. It's a very dangerous situation that could easily spiral out of diplomatic control and lead to a widespread war - especially with Russia increasing showing its military muscle and communicating its ongoing support for the current Iranian regime.  box 
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

N1120A

Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:38 am

Because Israel is the only country in the Middle East whose neighbors routinely call for its destruction.

Yet Israel is the only one that routinely tries to destroy its neighbors.

EA CO AS

Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:58 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 40):

Because Israel is the only country in the Middle East whose neighbors routinely call for its destruction.

I'm far from being a staunch defender of Israel, but HUH?!?

It occurs to me that with their substantial arsenal, Israel wouldn't need to "try" and destroy its neighbors - it could just DO it if it so chose.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

halls120

Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:23 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 33):

You know, I've seen some posts with spin before, but this one takes the cake.

Israel tried to destroy its neighbors in 1948? In 1967? In 1973?

You really need to lay off the kool-aid.  Smile
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Dougloid

Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:56 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 33):

The reason why that's malarkey is that if Israel wanted to destroy its neighbors, then they'd have bloody well done it. Period.

cedars747

Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:47 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 35):

And in 2006 they failed like never before

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

Boeing4ever

Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:26 pm

Since my other post was delted, I'll repost this...though cleaned for conformity with forum rules.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 5):
Then how can you justify Israel having them?

Please show me where I justified Israel having Nukes. Seriously, where do you get this? My statement clearly was against Israel having nukes, yet you attempt to mash my words here.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 5):
Someone? Do you have any clue who actually runs Iran? This is really moot reasoning anyway, since even the US is convinced that Iran's nuclear weapon aspirations ended quite a while ago.

A bunch of backwards Ayatollahs.  Yeah sure

Especially worrying when their mouthpiece denies the Holocoust and emphatically states that there are no homosexuals within his borders.  Yeah sure

Flighty

Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:38 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 15):

I support Israel's right to defend itself. However, I also support Iran's right to defend itself. So, if Israel hits first, that would mean, Iran should kick Israel's ass.

OzarkD9S

Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:48 am

Too bad we don't throw all religions in the toilet and just be people. Too easy I guess......
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

Dougloid

Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:57 am

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 37):

Alex!!!

And the proof of it is all over............Lebanon.

allstarflyer

Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:14 am

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 37):

Alex!!!

Excellent non-answer Alex!!!
Living the American Dream

Boeing4ever

Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:42 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 40):
Too bad we don't throw all religions in the toilet and just be people. Too easy I guess......

Yeah, except for that nasty inconvenient truth that wars and killing would still go on.  Yeah sure

N1120A

Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:57 am

I'm far from being a staunch defender of Israel, but HUH?!?

Riiiight

It occurs to me that with their substantial arsenal, Israel wouldn't need to "try" and destroy its neighbors - it could just DO it if it so chose.

Israel doesn't use their nuclear arsenal because they know any such action would turn any support they have in the world against them and would lead to the instant implosion of the country. On the other hand, they constantly use conventional weapons against the Lebanese and the Palestinians.

Israel tried to destroy its neighbors in

2006 works just fine.

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 38):

Please show me where I justified Israel having Nukes.

You stated that even though Israel has nuclear weapons, Iran shouldn't. I, like you claim, also believe nuclear weapons have absolutely no place in this world. However, if we are going to say that they can exist, then we can't pick and choose with countries get them.

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 40):
Too easy I guess......

Unfortunately.

halls120

Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:00 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 44):

Israel tried to destroy its neighbors in

2006 works just fine.

redflag  you can't expect to ignore your prior incredibly erroneous statement.

"Yet Israel is the only one that routinely tries to destroy its neighbors."

It is erroneous on its face.

N1120A

Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:07 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 45):
you can't expect to ignore your prior incredibly erroneous statement.

"Yet Israel is the only one that routinely tries to destroy its neighbors."

Which country has actually invaded sovereign territory of late? Which country maintains support of settlements and military presence in areas that are supposed to be off limits? Which one constantly threatens to bomb and/or invade its only rival for regional hegemony? It isn't Iran.

Boeing4ever

Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:31 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 44):
You stated that even though Israel has nuclear weapons, Iran shouldn't. I, like you claim, also believe nuclear weapons have absolutely no place in this world. However, if we are going to say that they can exist, then we can't pick and choose with countries get them.

It's called common sense and a recognition of the current situation. Neither of these two countries should have them. Unfortunately one nation does. Right now it's easier to control the spread than to get states to give up nuclear arms.

So in your view, just because Israel has them, Iran should too? Flawed. Following that logic, then every country on earth will have nuclear arms.

Containment is key right now.

Oh, and like I claim? HAHA. Sad. Do a post search from say, summer '02, the last time I even bothered getting involved in these Israel vs. Palestine debates. You'll see my position quite clearly. Israel and Iran are both evil.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 46):
Which country has actually invaded sovereign territory of late?

Duh, Israel.

Which country maintains support of settlements and military presence in areas that are supposed to be off limits?

Also, Israel.

Which one constantly threatens to bomb and/or invade its only rival for regional hegemony? It isn't Iran.

Wrong. Israel doesn't threaten. They do. Iran's little madman has repeatedly called for Israel to be thrown into the sea, wiped out, etc. And Iran is eagerly seeking to become a regional power. Don't even try for a second to say they aren't.

Let's not forget active support for Hezbollah, contributing to the beginning of the 2006 "activities" in Lebanon.

Israel is guilty. Iran is guilty. Get over it. No new F-22s or F-35s for Israel. No new nukes for Iran. Not much we can do about the weapons systems they have. No point in letting them have any new toys.

N1120A

Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:54 am

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 47):
Right now it's easier to control the spread than to get states to give up nuclear arms.

Why take the easy way as opposed to the moral high ground.

So in your view, just because Israel has them, Iran should too?

I don't think either should have them, however, I don't think we should condone Israel's possession of the weapons and shun Iran at the same time.

Iran's little madman

Ahmadinejad is no more a mad man than Rush Limbaugh. He also has about as much clout in government.

And Iran is eagerly seeking to become a regional power.

Iran is a regional power, and has sought regional hegemony for centuries before Khomeni was ever concieved.

Not much we can do about the weapons systems they have.

Sure there is. We can stop supporting them.

L410Turbolet

Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:50 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 48):
Ahmadinejad is no more a mad man than Rush Limbaugh. He also has about as much clout in government.

Are you seriously comparing some marginal guy with his own TV show (or whatever, I had to google up the name) with a head of state and impact/relevance of what these guys say? You know sometimes it's better to have no argument at all than come up with stupid one just for the sake of arguing.