CJAContinental
Topic Author

Santa Moves To Kyrgyzstan?

Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:13 pm

This seems silly to me:

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSEIC47011920071224

" BISHKEK (Reuters) - Seeking a novel remedy to revive its rickety economy, the tiny ex-Soviet state of Kyrgyzstan has declared itself the new home of Santa Claus.

Citing Swedish engineering firm that determined the ideal spot for Santa's global toy delivery hub, officials in this predominantly Muslim country have quickly moved to capitalize on the finding.

They named a mountain peak after Santa, to join Mounts Lenin, and Yeltsin, and declared 2008 "The Year of Santa Claus".

"Its slogan will be "Kyrgyzstan is the land of Santa Clauses", said Kyrgyz tourism authority spokeswoman Nurkhon Tajibayeva.

In most Western countries Santa Claus, or Father Christmas , is thought to live at the North Pole or in Finland. However, if he were located in Central Asia and started westwards on his traditional Christmas Eve trips, Kyrgyz officials said he would have a more efficient delivery route.

"He can eliminate time-consuming detours and avoid subjecting his reindeer to undue strain," engineering consultants at Stockholm-based Sweco, who used geography and demographics in their research, said in a press release.

A group of professional mountain-climbers will pitch the country's flag at the newly renamed peak, Kyrgyzstan's tourism authority said, while a world festival of Santas is planned for the capital's main square.
"

I always liked the thought of santa's home being lapland.

thoughts...

by the way, merry christmas everyone!

[Edited 2007-12-24 14:14:35]
Work Hard/Fly Right.

JBLUA320

RE: Santa Moves To Kyrgyzstan?

Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:52 am

I can't decide if this is disturbing or brilliant... Then again, I'm Jewish, so all I worry about on Christmas is what movie my family is seeing and where we are going for Chinese food!

JBLU

bill142

Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:10 am

I wonder what this will do to Finnairs "Official Airline of Santa Clause" slogan.

dc9northwest

Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:30 pm

This is pure genius... Capitalizing on little kids' thoughts to revitalize Kyrgyzstan's economy. I wonder how the kids (and their parents) would like visiting Kyrgyzstan... Especially rich American brats. It's not all great down there from what I hear; but at least it's not Turkmenistan.

I bet tourists will flock from Lapland to the Kyrgyz state. Not. But it's a damn good idea.  Wink

SBBRTech

Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:51 pm

Aha! That proves that Santas' outfit wasn't red for nothing after all.
All he wanted was his own hill just by Mount Lenin!

[Edited 2007-12-26 09:12:47]
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

greasespot

Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:27 pm

Quoting JBLUA320 (Reply 1):
Then again, I'm Jewish, so all I worry about on Christmas is what movie my family is seeing and where we are going for Chinese food

OMG my roomate is Jewish and that is what she was talking about all week and well that is what we did...hahaha

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

a380us

Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 5):
Then again, I'm Jewish, so all I worry about on Christmas is what movie my family is seeing and where we are going for Chinese food

OMG my roomate is Jewish and that is what she was talking about all week and well that is what we did...hahaha

thats what most Jewish people (in my opinion) do on christmas.
We also would like to do our shopping then b/c its much quieter but almost everything is closed.
Actually my jewish school used to make it a point to have school on Christmas.
www.JandACosmetics.com

LHMark

Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:35 am

Quoting Dc9northwest (Reply 3):
I bet tourists will flock from Lapland to the Kyrgyz state. Not. But it's a damn good idea.

Why? Were tourists flocking to the North Pole?
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

dc9northwest

Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:56 pm

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 7):
Why? Were tourists flocking to the North Pole?

There is a "not" following my statement... It's sarcasm. Generally, if I use "I bet", the statement's sarcastic.

Kind of hard to get to the North Pole btw  Wink Some tourists do flock to Lapland though.

TupolevTu154

Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:49 pm

I've always wanted to visit one of these more obscure countries (Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Azerbijan, Uzbekistan etc), now here's my excuse!

Tom Big grin