OA260
Topic Author

Cyprus And Malta .. Countdown To The Euro

Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:23 am

On 1st January Cyprus and Malta will join the Euro. This will be good for tourists from the Euro zone going on vacation . What to our Cypriot and Maltese members feel about it and how is the transition going??

Klaus

RE: Cyprus And Malta .. Countdown To The Euro

Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:52 am

Nice coins, anyway! Big grin

B747forever

Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:11 pm

Think it is really good for this to Islands to change to Euros. Wish that we in Sweden could do it also.
Work Hard, Fly Right

LHStarAlliance

Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:58 pm

the coins look great !
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

bwest

Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:19 pm

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 3):
the coins look great !

Indeed! Very nice designs. The move to the Euro might bring even more tourists to the two island states...
I love my Airport Job! :)

MD11junkie

Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:21 pm

Is this something Turkey is willing to give up just to join the EU?

Because I know they'd go the other way Greece went when talking about Cyprus.  Wink

Gaston - The MD11junkie
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

OA260
Topic Author

Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:05 pm

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 3):
the coins look great !

Yes I love the designs. They reflect the culture of the two Islands. Note that on the Cypriot coins they are in Greek and Turkish to represent both communities on the whole Island. The North of Cyprus will also adopt the currency unofficially as at present they use the Turkish lira. The Euro will be better for the economy of the North. Its probably the only time you will see Turkish on any Euro coin as Turkey still has major hurdles to jump to gain entry to the club let alone join the Euro.

ME AVN FAN

Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:10 pm

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 5):
Is this something Turkey is willing to give up just to join the EU?

The Euro in Turkey is an important inofficial currency. Thousands of Turkish companies do their accounting and calculating in Euro and convert into TL on daily rates for day-to-day business. And the Turkish tax-office accepts tax-declarations done in Euro.

OA260
Topic Author

Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 7):
Thousands of Turkish companies do their accounting and calculating in Euro and convert into TL on daily rates for day-to-day business.

If I remember right the Former Yugoslav countries used the German Mark for a while when they first split from Serbia ???
Cuba even welcomes the Euro now.

L410Turbolet

Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:51 pm

No one "offended" by the cross on Maltese Euros yet???  Confused  Confused  Confused

Any info on how many coins will be minted for respective countries? I guess they will be quite rare to come across since both countries are so small {pop. 400,000; 800,000 respectively).

MD11Engineer

Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:56 pm

AFAIK, East Timor also uses the Euro.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

OA260
Topic Author

Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:01 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 9):
I guess they will be quite rare to come across since both countries are so small {pop. 400,000; 800,000 respectively).

The coins have been made in Bordeux, theres actually a program on it now on Euro news !!! They just said the amount but I missed it !! I found this article though ::

http://www.maltamedia.com/artman2/publish/financial/printer_3464.shtml

First consignment of Maltese euro coins arrives
By MaltaMedia News
Sep 15, 2007 - 10:22:49 AM

The first consignment of Maltese euro coins arrived at the Freeport from Le Havre, France in sealed in containers on Friday.

Six containers in all were unloaded. The money that will be in circulation from January 1 will remain in the strong room that has been constructed on purpose within the Armed Forces of Malta’s (AFM) headquarters in Hal Far.

Other containers carrying more coins are expected to arrive in the coming days.

Malta will not be producing its banknotes but will be using 80 million banknotes with a value of €1 billion from stocks of the European system of central banks. The euros that will be used in Malta will come from the Banco d'Italia. The notes are expected to arrive later on this year.

Malta’s first euro coins were minted during a ceremony at Monnaie De Paris’ Pessac minting plant in France in July. The French minting company won the contract to produce Malta’s euro coins after a tender was issued by the Central Bank of Malta in October 2006.

The three designs that will feature on the eight faces of national Euro coins are the Maltese Cross, the Maltese Coat of Arms and the Mnajdra Temples, following of public consultation which came to an end in 2006.

-------------------------------------

Some info on the Cyprus ones here :::

http://www.ibiblio.org/theeuro/files/files.nat/cyprus.s01.htm

No one "offended" by the cross on Maltese Euros yet??? Confused Confused Confused

LOL.....

ba757

Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:21 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 2):
Wish that we in Sweden could do it also.

It's high time we got the Euro here too.

L410Turbolet

Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:23 pm

Maybe we should do another round of the "Where do Euro coins in your wallet come from???" survey. I'd really like to get the idea to what extent national versions of Euros spread accross EUrope. Of course German, French, Italian or Spanish Euro coins will most likely dominate due to the size of those countries/economies but it would fun to find out:
How often do people in Finland get Portuguese or Slovenian Euro coins as a change? Or Luxembourg Euros in Greece for that matter? Has anyone ever physically came across a Vatican-minted Euro coins? ...

OA260
Topic Author

Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:30 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 13):
but it would fun to find out:
How often do people in Finland get Portuguese or Slovenian Euro coins as a change? Or Luxembourg Euros in Greece for that matter? Has anyone ever physically came across a Vatican-minted Euro coins? ...

Well that would be interesting. From my experience you get alot more in the Summer months as people are coming back from holidays. In Ireland we get Spanish/German/French mostly and I also noticed a few Greek ones and Italian . Last Winter we got alot from Austria and France after the Ski season ..... Very rare are Finnish/Dutch/Belgian.

On my wallet right now its 50% Irish and 50% Greek ( I was there last week).

I actually collect a set of each but I have not got San Marino or Vatican as they are like gold dust . I would love to get a Maltese and Cypriot set. I asked at the Bank of Cyprus last week in Athens but they were not getting any .

Braybuddy

Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:48 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 1):
Nice coins, anyway!

Yup! Pity they didn't use more imagination with the common sides of the coins. AFAIK that is being modified next year to show the newer countries, so I assume the Maltese and Cypriot ones have this new reverse (or is it obverse?). I'll look forward to getting these attractive new coins in my change.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 10):
AFAIK, East Timor also uses the Euro.

And it's also the currency of French overseas terretories: French Guiana, Réunion, Saint-Pierre et Miquelon, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint-Barthélemy, Saint Martin and Mayotte, and also the Azores and Madeira.

Maybe we should do another round of the "Where do Euro coins in your wallet come from???" survey. I'd really like to get the idea to what extent national versions of Euros spread across EUrope

Just checking the change bowl on my bedside table and there are around 70 coins of various denominations in there, and surprisingly there are only two foreign ones, a Dutch and a French 50c.

OA260
Topic Author

Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:57 pm

Just saw the news item again :::

For Malta , 200m coins have been minted with a value of around EUR 58m euro

andaman

Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:40 am

Haven't seen any Slovenian coins in Finland, seen Portuguese and other Southern-European Euro coins every now and then especially in the summer when Finns bring them home from the tourists resorts. The Finnish speciality is that we use less cash than any other Euro nation, and the smallest 1 and 2 cent coins haven't ever been in use in Finland, only some were minted for the collecters.

Welcome Malta & Cyprus! I hope our neighbours Sweden and Estonia would join too, would be more practical when travelling.
The map of Europe on the Euro coins has changed a bit from the original, the new version is more realistic. For an example you can find also Norway there now and that makes Finland & Sweden not looking like man's genitals any more... Wink
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

fridgmus

Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:14 am

It's gonna suck for us Americans, given the Euro/USD exchange rate. Of course the CYP/USD wasn't all that good either! I spent two weeks on Cyprus in May 2004. What a beautiful place.
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

ME AVN FAN

Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:31 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 8):
If I remember right the Former Yugoslav countries used the German Mark

Montenegro changed from the "Yugoslav Dinar" to the Euro while it still was in political union with Serbia, and as far as I know still used the Euro as its currency. The Euro in fact is gradually creeping into Switzerland with shops in a 50 kms border zone (MOST cities of Switzerland are in the "zone" !) accepting Euros and automatically showing CHF+EUR amounts of all receipts, with banks having Euro accounts, with the Postfinance accepting payments in Euros with Euro-payment-forms, with companies using the Euro as the billing currency in case of exportations etc .
-

gkirk

Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:43 am

Very sad news for the Cypriots and Maltese people  Sad
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

andaman

Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:01 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 19):

The Euro in fact is gradually creeping into Switzerland

Sounded like plague   What people think about Euro in Switzerland generally? Could you imagine Euro in Switzerland, if it was an EU member of course? I would guess the CHF is a strong national symbol.

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 20):
Very sad news for the Cypriots and Maltese people

Are you sure they are sad?

[Edited 2007-12-26 03:06:41]
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

ME AVN FAN

Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:04 am

Very sad news for the Cypriots and Maltese people Sad

What is sad about this ??? For Malta and Cyprus it is a glorious day !  thumbsup   thumbsup  Beside of course being very good for business. And for Turkey, it is at least a very nice day as Turkey, via the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, now has another way to gradually move into the Euro-Zone. I expect them to do a defacto change to the Euro within a few years, simply dropping the Turkish Pound, either entirely or to the status of a theoretical currency.

ba757

Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:37 am

Very sad news for the Cypriots and Maltese people Sad

Your a dinosaur mate, you need to evolve.

Things change, no need to carry on living in the past ignoring change.

OA260
Topic Author

Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:40 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 22):
via the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus

Reading a recent article , The self proclaimed TRNC relies more and more on the South of the divide for trade and health services . Alot of Turkish Cypriots are applying for Greek Cypriot passports. Turkish Cypriots also get full social and health benefits in the Greek side also.

Very sad news for the Cypriots and Maltese people

Not at all. Whilst Malta and Cyprus have strong economies , being EU members it will actually make trade alot more simple. A leading Maltese businessman was being interviewed on TV last night. The main worry among Maltese is that traders will use the introduction to increase prices. But every member state has this issue . We had it here in Ireland also. Its a win win situation . If Scotland gets independance one day they may be knocking on the door to get in to the Euro!!

ME AVN FAN

Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:07 pm

Quoting BA757 (Reply 23):
Your a dinosaur mate, you need to evolve.
---
Things change, no need to carry on living in the past ignoring change.

-
The dinosaurs were unable to evolve and to change, they otherwise would still be roaming the Bush !
-

Quoting OA260 (Reply 24):
The self proclaimed TRNC relies more and more on the South of the divide for trade and health services . Alot of Turkish Cypriots are applying for Greek Cypriot passports. Turkish Cypriots also get full social and health benefits in the Greek side also.

A) TRNC since its start was based on its integration into the Republic of Cyprus. In Nicosia/Lefkosa, electricity, water etc are a common operation still.
B) The TRNC population in a public referendum years ago approved a UN settlement proposal
C) Older, pre-1974 born Turkish Cypriots still have their Republic of Cyprus passports
D) The Republic of Cyprus, as by definition being ALL Cyprus gives passports also to post-1974 Turkish Cypriots
E) An incredibly high percentage of Turkish Cypriots hold old/renewed British passports
-

If Scotland gets independance one day they may be knocking on the door to get in to the Euro!!

Unless the start the GAELIC POUND !  rotfl 

gkirk

Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:21 pm

If Scotland gets independance one day they may be knocking on the door to get in to the Euro!!

Quite possibly, or we'd develop an independent Scottish monetary scheme.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 25):
Unless the start the GAELIC POUND ! rotfl

You're saying that like it's a joke? Are you against the Scots?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

ME AVN FAN

Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:03 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 26):
Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 25):
Unless the start the GAELIC POUND ! rotfl

You're saying that like it's a joke? Are you against the Scots?

NO, no, no, I like Scotland and the Scots. And also

BUT I think that an independent Scotland rather should join the Euro right from the start
-

Braybuddy

Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:41 pm

The main worry among Maltese is that traders will use the introduction to increase prices. But every member state has this issue .

That's a common misconception:

OA260
Topic Author

Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:16 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 26):
Are you against the Scots?

I dont think he is against Scots LOL.....some of the best lovers are Scots .....but thats a whole new thread LOL.....

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 28):
That's a common misconception:

I mean un trust worthy traders in stores etc...... I noticed here that some things that were converted from Irish Punt to Euro came to EUR13.95 and suddenly the price being charged for the same thing was EUR15 . So some capitalised out of it .

ME AVN FAN

Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:16 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 29):
against Scots

I have been on the Whiskyship Zurich (with Whisky/Whiskey) from Scotland and Ireland and even have become a member of the regional Whisky-Club !
Cheers !

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:26 pm

Congraultions to the people of Cyprus and Malta on taking another step towards greater controlled European integration.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

LTU932

Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:50 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 15):
And it's also the currency of French overseas terretories: French Guiana, Réunion, Saint-Pierre et Miquelon, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint-Barthélemy, Saint Martin and Mayotte, and also the Azores and Madeira.

Kosovo accepts the Euro and I believe the same applies in Serbia (or maybe just in Belgrade), which previously also accepted the German Mark.

I've never really been a fan of the Euro because it replaced the good ol' D-Mark in Germany, but after almost 6 years since it became our only official currency, I'm starting to appreciate the Euro.

Welcome to the Euro, Cyprus and Malta. I also like that the Cypriot Euro coins (and possibly also the notes) have the name Cyprus written in Greek and Turkish to reflect on the bilingual culture of Cyprus (disregarding political divisions).

Braybuddy

Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:40 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 29):
noticed here that some things that were converted from Irish Punt to Euro came to EUR13.95 and suddenly the price being charged for the same thing was EUR15

Wow! I don't remember a single instance of something jumping overnight by 7%! I could understand in the instance quoted the price jumping to €14, but €15? There was a slight adjustment at the time, for obvious reasons, but the inflation figures at the time prove that prices did not rise any more than normal. You have to remember too, that with Irish pounds converting to euro, it was the only currency to show a greater amount in the new currency, so traders had the disadvantage of their goods looking more expensive in euro. So increases at the time were tended to be very small and were quickly forgotten.

And while we're on the subject of the single currency, it's about time the rest of the eurozone took Finland's lead and abolished the 1c and 2c coins. I think it's a misconception that prices will increase: it should be mandatory for shops pricing in single cent to give change in multiples of 5c.

OA260
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:59 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 33):
it's about time the rest of the eurozone took Finland's lead and abolished the 1c and 2c coins.

Why do that ??? They did it in Greece also and alot of the time they short change you !!! Monies money and all adds up 2c here and there . If I buy something for EUR 2.98 then I want 2c change.....not that im tight or anything but I just think its right.

Braybuddy

Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:38 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 34):
If I buy something for EUR 2.98 then I want 2c change.....not that im tight or anything but I just think its right.

Sure, but if shops price in individual cent then they it should be mandatory that they round the price down to the nearest 5c, the way they did in Australia.

Krushny

Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:46 am

No one "offended" by the cross on Maltese Euros yet???

Curiously Cyprus has not put current religious signs (like the cross or the crescent moon) in the euro coins. The designs are quite nice , though I miss the most notable being ever coming from Cyprus, that is godess Aphrodite / Venus !!!  Wink  Wink
Anyone know what represents the euro coin design ? Looks like some primitive idol.

OA260
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:01 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 11):
Some info on the Cyprus ones here :::

http://www.ibiblio.org/theeuro/files...1.htm

Quoting Krushny (Reply 36):
Anyone know what represents the euro coin design ? Looks like some primitive idol.

Wink  Wink

ME AVN FAN

Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:16 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 32):
Kosovo accepts the Euro and I believe the same applies in Serbia (or maybe just in Belgrade), which previously also accepted the German Mark.

-
"accepts" ? The Kosovo ONLY accepts the Euro, and uses the Euro as its currency, while countries like Serbia simply accept payment in Euro in some places. You also can pay some parkometers in Zurich with Euro, the exchange-rate applied however is 1:1 and so a good additional income for the City !  Wink
-

andaman

Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:44 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 35):

Sure, but if shops price in individual cent then they it should be mandatory that they round the price down to the nearest 5c, the way they did in Australia.

Yes, of course the prices rounded down to the nearest 5c in Finland too. And the shops have to accept (foreign) 1c and 2c coins, but you don't see them often.

ajd1992

Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:16 pm

Quoting BA757 (Reply 12):
It's high time we got the Euro here too.

Why?

The Pound is the only British thing left, we're officially metric like most of the world, we've got rubbish beer and apart from TVR and Rover, no British cars left.

I don't want the Euro.

BR076

Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:20 pm

One and only shop that still use 1c coins over here is Aldi  Sad , I now always pay with plastic there.
ú

Klaus

Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:28 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 40):
The Pound is the only British thing left

If that was true, you wouldn't have anything to lose anyway. You wouldn't be an actual nation in any case.

I actually thought you'd got more than that, but what do I know?  silly 

ME AVN FAN

Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:12 pm

Rover

Rover apparently belongs to Ford and so is US-American.  Wink

kiwiandrew

Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:22 pm

The Pound is the only British thing left,

no , you still have that other great British tradition , moaning and whining about the EU/Euro Big grin

matt727

Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:02 pm

Nice to see that more countries join the Euro.

Quoting B747forever (Reply 2):
Think it is really good for this to Islands to change to Euros. Wish that we in Sweden could do it also.

Hopefully in the future, I know that I'll vote YES again.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:30 pm

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 44):
The Pound is the only British thing left,

no , you still have that other great British tradition , moaning and whining about the EU/Euro

The British Pound is, as far as I am informed, the oldest currency on earth, and indeed quite a tradition. But the days when a country needed to have its own currency to be taken seriously for sure are over. And nobody defines the United Kingdom by the Pound. And nobody would force the Brits to stop moaning and whinging and complaining about the Euro after the U.K. did the change. But as I see in Switzerland, time will help. In Switzerland, a currency launched in 1848 and declared to be the only currency of the federation in 1874 is now a kind of Holy Cow, while the Euro gradually "creeps" into Switzerland everywhere. In future, UK travellers travelling to NON-Swiss Europe will use the Euro everywhere and so gradually will get used to this currency.

Joni

Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:40 pm

How often do people in Finland get Portuguese or Slovenian Euro coins as a change?

Mostly we get our own coins (although as someone pointed out we don't use much cash), then Spanish, German or Dutch ones - other countries' versions less often.

Quoting Andaman (Reply 39):
Yes, of course the prices rounded down to the nearest 5c in Finland too.

I think the prices are rounded to the nearest 5c, period? I don't use much cash however, so the issue doesn't affect me much.

vc10

Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:01 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 43):
Rover apparently belongs to Ford and so is US-American.

I think you will find that Rover is owned by a Chinese company and TVR is owned by a Russian millionaire.
Land Rover a separate company is owned by Ford at present, but is up for sale to Tata an Indian company.

Now is there any thing else people would like to buy ?

If Scotland should become independent, so I understand, the SNP policy would be to immediately apply for EU membership and under the rules for that she would have to accept the Euro as her official currency , there would be no choice.

littlevc10

ME AVN FAN

Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:53 am

Quoting VC10 (Reply 48):
Now is there any thing else people would like to buy ?

-
Sure. It just depends on what is done up for sale. If the Royals vacated the Buckingham Palace and relocated to Hampton Court Palace, the Buckingham Palace and the Tower of London could be sold to Disneyland or to the Maktoum family of Dubai !  Big grin  Wink