Evan767
Topic Author

CouchSurfing - Who's Tried It?

Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:58 am

I was just wondering if there are any couch surfers out there. If so, I was wondering how you like it and how effective it is. For those who don't know: www.couchsurfing.com
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

airportugal310

RE: CouchSurfing - Who's Tried It?

Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:56 am

Quoting Evan767 (Thread starter):
I was just wondering if there are any couch surfers out there. If so, I was wondering how you like it and how effective it is. For those who don't know: www.couchsurfing.com

I do not honestly get it....could you explain this?
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

NeilYYZ

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:39 am

Quoting AirPortugal310 (Reply 1):
I do not honestly get it....could you explain this?

It's basically booking a trip, not getting a hotel, and staying with random people that you meet through this site.

And no, I haven't. Doesn't seem the sort of thing that I'd be interested in.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

CaliforniaMate

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:24 am

Hey I'm part of couchsurfing. Its a great community and its a great way to meet local people when traveling. PM me if you have anymore questions.

HAWK21M

Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:30 pm

When I read the Title I was thinking something very different & wondering Why?.
 Smile

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

MSYtristar

Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:01 pm

I hosted two people last Mardi Gras while I was living in New Orleans and it was a good experience overall. I just recently cancelled my membership on there because of my living situation in Atlanta; however, I know a few people who are members on there, and they like it a lot. You get to meet some interesting people if anything.

Shawn Patrick

Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:34 pm

Quoting CaliforniaMate (Reply 3):
Hey I'm part of couchsurfing. Its a great community and its a great way to meet local people when traveling. PM me if you have anymore questions.

Can you post some info about your experiences? Why keep it a secret?? That's what this thread is for!  Silly

I'm a member and am very into this sort of traveling, however I have not gotten the balls to do it myself! Hostels are as far as I've gone with alternative lodging.

MaverickM11

Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:41 pm

I haven't tried that site but I have tried something similar, hospitalityclub.org, and met a couple locals in Hanoi who took us out to some really cool places that we would have never found on our own. I can't recommend enough meeting locals at your destination whether through a website in advance or once you're there, but staying with strangers is not really my thing.
E pur si muove -Galileo

CaliforniaMate

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:35 pm

Haha, not keeping it a secret, I love sharing my Couchsurfing experience. I originally joined when traveling through Europe thinking that I would have a free place to stay (totally the wrong reason btw). After surfing the first place with a little hesitancy (it was kinda weird to meet some random person on the streets and crash at their place), I realized how great of an experience it was. It was a great way to meet a local (and subsequently other local couchsurfers), and see how big of a community it is. We had a great time going out to these random and hidden bars in Warsaw (which otherwise would have been a drag) and met some interesting and very friendly people.

Subsequently, coming back from my trip, I've discovered how active the local community here in San Francisco is and I've met many like minded and fun people. It's even allowed me to discover more of my city that I hadn't seen before.

Hosting people also brings lots of interesting and fun people from all over the world. Of course there are going to be those who, like the way I was when I first joined, just use you for a place to stay, but it sure doesn't deter me from those that are respectful and genuinely looking to meet locals while traveling and see the city the way only locals do (and not resort to word of mouth info in the hostels, or the guidebooks)

ag92

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:47 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 4):
When I read the Title I was thinking something very different & wondering Why?.

Same - what were you thinking of

I initially thought its where you surf the website on the couch - done that before

Anyways it seems like an interesting idea, but what about the large risks involved

graphic

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:27 pm

It only takes one experience with a guy like this:

To ruin the whole thing.
Demand Media fails at life

AF340

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:30 pm

Quoting Ag92 (Reply 9):
I initially thought its where you surf the website on the couch - done that before

I thought it was when you pretended your couch was a surfboard... I have no experience with of course  Wink

Liam spin 

Evan767
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:09 am

Quoting Graphic (Reply 10):
It only takes one experience with a guy like this:

To ruin the whole thing.

rotfl   rotfl  Good one.

CaliforniaMate, what kind of ettiquite should one follow as a couchsurfer? Is it typically relaxed or should you keep everything clean and neat? Have you had any bad experiences with couchsurfers or couchsurfing?
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...