Topic Author

Does The Iowa Caucus Matter?

Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:17 pm

Does the Iowa Caucus matter?
E pur si muove -Galileo

ShyFlyer

RE: Does The Iowa Caucus Matter?

Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:38 pm

To people in Iowa, definitely. To all the political "experts," without a doubt. To me personally, not one bit.
I lift things up and put them down.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:55 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 1):
To all the political "experts," without a doubt

I'm not sure they think it "matters" so much as it's the first of many dog and pony shows to come
E pur si muove -Galileo

luv2fly

Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:12 pm

Myself it is outdated and a waste of money!
You can cut the irony with a knife

Mir

Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:29 pm

Unfortunately yes.

To have a handful of smaller states having such a strong say in determining the eventual nominee is absolutely ridiculous. Have a Super Tuesday on which every state has their primary, and then go from there.

Iowa can find other ways to make itself feel important.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

aerobalance

Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:38 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Thread starter):

Publicity is what it is, it's make or break time for a number of candidates.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

Superfly

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:03 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
To have a handful of smaller states having such a strong say in determining the eventual nominee is absolutely ridiculous. Have a Super Tuesday on which every state has their primary, and then go from there.

I have to disagree. Having a nationwide primary would be terrible. I like the idea of small states having the first primaries and caucus because it gives the underdog, under-funded, lesser known candidate and opportunity to get their name out and meet the voters. This gives the voters the opportunity to get to know the candidates close up.
A nationwide primary hands ALL the power to the status quo, the party insiders, the establishment, large corporations and the media. Why even bother having elections?
I am happy with states like Iowa and New Hampshire having the first say.
Bring back the Concorde

CastleIsland

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:04 pm

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 5):
it's make or break time for a number of candidates

Absolutely. In the past, the IA and NH caucuses/primaries have spelled the end of many a campaign. It's a shame that so early in the races, so many candidates have to hang it up after a poor showing in IA and/or NH.

A better question, in my mind, is "Should it matter?" My answer would be "Not any more than any other state of similar population."

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
Have a Super Tuesday on which every state has their primary, and then go from there.

Either that, or ban news coverage and polls entirely, so we can all make up our own minds instead of voting for the most likely winner. So which scenario is more likely?  Wink
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

N74JW

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:42 pm

The caucus is a start to a long and tedious popularity contest. Unfortunately, the one with the most money and whom can hold out the longest will win. As of now Mitt Romney fits that mold. I am not counting on Republicans for much this time around...
rm -r *

planespotting

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:02 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 6):
A nationwide primary hands ALL the power to the status quo, the party insiders, the establishment, large corporations and the media.

Exactly - great comment Superfly.

As a native, ex-patriot of Iowa, I've never really understood the caucuses until I actually moved out of state. I mean, I knew how they worked, but didn't get the significance of it.

The main relevancy of the Iowa Caucuses is "electability."

People in Iowa are notoriously stubborn - but at the same time, even more notoriously logical and reasonable. They sweat common sense. That's just how people in Iowa are.

Because of that, Iowans pick people who other people will also like. It's related to the old "Will it play in Peoria" mantra of the entertainment industry. Peoria, ironically, is 80 miles from the Iowa border.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

N74JW

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:26 am

Obama & Huckabee are the projected winners so far...
rm -r *

JetBlueGuy2006

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:41 am

The Obama thing doesn't suprise me. All I really want is a strong Democrat to win. My preference doesn't matter, either Clinton or Obama.

Although the Huckabee thing worries me a little. Projections from CNN/NBC/CBS a week or 2 ago showed that Clinton or Obama will win solidly against Huckabee. Looks like the momentum is on the Dems side.

Just because Clinton didn't win in Iowa, she will still be strong in NH. I expect her to win there and contend for the nomination.

I think in the end, it will be a Clinton and Obama ticket. Don't know which way it will be the VP-P, but that is a tough ticket.
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

Falcon84

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:57 am

Since I don't think either person who won, Huckabee and Obama, will win their party's nominations, I'd say no.
Work Right, Fly Hard

JetBlueGuy2006

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:02 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 12):
Since I don't think either person who won, Huckabee and Obama, will win their party's nominations

Yeah, I think it will probably be Romney and Clinton. Huckabee would probably loose to any of the Dems, but especially Clinton, as she has had federal government experience.

Dougloid

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:09 am

Here's the G2 from Precinct 48.
First run was
151 Obama
49 Clinton
53 Edwards
37 Richardson
28 Biden
0-Dodd
2-Kucinich
0-Gravel

Campaigns with under 49 were not viable

Second run was

175 Obama (+24)
72 Edwards (+19)
62 Clinton (+13)

On the question of whether it matters?

Well, we get to feel we're important every four years for one thing.

Secondly, these folks have been here for nearly a year. That gives everyone, including the folks in the rest of the world, a chance to see what they're made of. They have to come here in the dead of winter, drink coffee, listen to homely concerns like kids and schools and old folks and the factory closing up and moving to China. These are all things that are important to everyone. It's like a laboratory combined with a road test.

This is the place to be if you want to see candidates up close and personal. There was a story in today's paper about a couple from Van Nuys who came here as political tourists and they were well pleased. They met several candidates and bumped into Bill Clinton on an elevator in their hotel. And they got some answers to their questions.

So, it's important as a proving ground. Whether it reflects the constituencies in larger states, that's questionable because ethnically speaking we're mostly white folks around here. We're also interested in open government and having our say in government...it's complicated and messy but ultimately good. Before the age of security the only thing that kept us out of the governor's office was a velvet rope like they have in theaters, and one secretary. In fact I met the last governor in a bar one night.

But when a buncha white folks like me go out on a winter's night to vote for a black man, you know something big is happening here. History is being made.

As far as the general idea of politics, I'd say to y'all, jump in-the water's fine. Join a campaign or run for city council. If you want good government you gotta do it yourself-maybe that's the value of things like this.

[Edited 2008-01-03 19:17:45]

[Edited 2008-01-03 19:21:46]
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

planespotting

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:47 am

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 13):

Yeah, I think it will probably be Romney and Clinton. Huckabee would probably loose to any of the Dems, but especially Clinton, as she has had federal government experience.

It's very unlikely it would be Romney - I really don't think he stands much chance at all in New Hampshire with the inevitable bump Huckabee and McCain will get there. People who might have wanted Romney will split to McCain, who will likely repeat his 2000 victory in NH. From there - it's McCain v. Giuliani for the GOP nomination.

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 14):
Here's the G2 from Precinct 48.

What was your caucus location Dougloid? My gf lives in W. Des Moines and caucused at an elementary school on Prarie View and EP True ... number 315 I think. Here were her first-run results:

Obama - 80s
Edwards - 40s
Clinton - 40s
Biden - teens
Dodd - 6

Second run, Obama had about the same, Edwards came in second, Clinton third and Biden fourth. 2 delegates to Obama and one each to Clinton, Edwards and Biden.

In Muscatine, Iowa, where my mom caucused for Hilary, she won by a 3-2-1 margin over Obama and Edwards, respectively.

N1120A

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:51 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 7):

Either that, or ban news coverage and polls entirely

Yeah, that wont happen for so many reasons.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

dl021

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:57 am

I have to disagree. Having a nationwide primary would be terrible. I like the idea of small states having the first primaries and caucus because it gives the underdog, under-funded, lesser known candidate and opportunity to get their name out and meet the voters. This gives the voters the opportunity to get to know the candidates close up.
A nationwide primary hands ALL the power to the status quo, the party insiders, the establishment, large corporations and the media. Why even bother having elections?

Let's all join hands and await the rapture..... I fully agree with Larry here.

Smaller states would be completely ignored if they didn't go first. It gives us the chance to see the candidates interaction in peoples living rooms and diners with actual voters. Now...we get to see them pander their asses off, but we get to decide who really looks full of shit and who seems sincere. It's not that hard to see who's pandering.

For the same reason there are two senators from every state and for the same reason that there is an electoral college.....the states need a measure of equality for the Union to work.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

767Lover

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:12 am

I like the idea of small states having the first primaries and caucus because it gives the underdog, under-funded, lesser known candidate and opportunity to get their name out and meet the voters.

LOL, and yet nobody is interested in anything to do with smaller states like Iowa in any other instance. On most other subjects, people from the large West and East Coast states act like the MIdwest is a backwater.

Back to the topic: They can still get out and meet the voters without a caucus. As for being underfunded, the "free press" created by the Internet (You Tube, etc) will increasingly continue to level the playing field for candidates in the future.

I think the danger is that too many lazy people will now vote for Huckabee or Obama "just because" they think those candidates have the strongest chance of winning based on the Caucus performance. Isn't there a reason election returns used to be broadcast after the West Coast polls had already closed?

N1120A

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:15 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 18):

LOL, and yet nobody is interested in anything to do with smaller states like Iowa in any other instance. On most other subjects, people from the large West and East Coast states act like the MIdwest is a backwater.

Actually, as someone from the West Coast, I really like the way Iowa works. Iowans generally don't buy in as much to bullshit political spin the way many people in this country do, and do very well by ignoring such.

ABQ747

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:42 am

I am happy with states like Iowa and New Hampshire having the first say.

Why do Iowa and New Hampshire always get to hold the first caucuses? What makes them so special? Why can't New Mexico be first?
The reason New Mexico is so windy is because Texas sucks and Arizona blows.

N1120A

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:43 am

Quoting ABQ747 (Reply 20):

Why do Iowa and New Hampshire always get to hold the first caucuses? What makes them so special?

Tradition.

Superfly

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:44 am

people from the large West and East Coast states act like the MIdwest is a backwater.

Not me and nor do us on the West coast. Those East-coast snobs that like that crappy flat crust New York style pizza may think that way. Half the people I know in SFO are from Wisconsin, Minneoplis and Illinois.

I think the danger is that too many lazy people will now vote for Huckabee or Obama "just because" they think those candidates have the strongest chance of winning

The evil side of me actually likes that.  devil 
Mike Huckabee is the man I want to win the GOP nomination. I'd be totally fine with him as President as well.
He wont get anything done, yet will take to fall for the mess in Iraq and thown out in 2012 in favor of a strong influential Democrat to get elected in 2012. Obama will have a stronger resume by 2012 also.

Keep in mind, Iowa and New Hampshire are one of the few states that switched between the 2000 and 2004 elections. They are swing states, yet have relativly inexpensive media markets to give the smaller lesser known candidate a leg up against Wall street and Capitol Hill's candidate.
The Iowa caucus does matter and so does the New Hampshire primary.
Rudy Guilani thinks he can cherry-pick which primaries he is going to compete in. That didn't work so well for Wesley Clark in 2004, and it wont work for that petty little hot-head from New York either.
Yet Rudy Giulani has featured in a Yahoo and CNN headline as Huckabee won the first caucus of 2008. Gee, does anyone else see a media bias?
Bring back the Concorde

ABQ747

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:48 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 21):
Tradition.

That doesn't really seem fair. Other states should also have a chance to hold the first caucuses in a Presidential election.

MD-90

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:48 am

Why do Iowa and New Hampshire always get to hold the first caucuses? What makes them so special? Why can't New Mexico be first?

Tradition and a willingness to force it to stay that way.

I think the danger is that too many lazy people will now vote for Huckabee or Obama "just because" they think those candidates have the strongest chance of winning based on the Caucus performance.

Let's see what happens in New Hampshire first. Huckabee will be lucky to place in the double digits while McCain and Paul will do much better than in Iowa.

JetBlueGuy2006

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:14 am

Watching the coverage on CNN and MSNBC primarily, something I don't understand.

Why does everyone seem to be counting Clinton out of the race? So what she didn't finish first. Iowa wasn't her strong state to begin with, I would expect her to fair much better in NH.

EvilForce

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:42 am

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 9):
As a native, ex-patriot of Iowa, I've never really understood the caucuses until I actually moved out of state. I mean, I knew how they worked, but didn't get the significance of it.

The main relevancy of the Iowa Caucuses is "electability."

People in Iowa are notoriously stubborn - but at the same time, even more notoriously logical and reasonable. They sweat common sense. That's just how people in Iowa are.

Sorry but Iowa for the most part is nothing but backwards, rural traditionalists that should not be selecting who end up being the nominee.

Iowa is 95% white, 3% hispanic, and 2% black and rural. Not very representative of America.

Iowan's select "electability" at their peril. They choose candidates that really don't believe in anything or stand for anything in the quest for "electibility" aka bland, uninspiring, do nothings. The same folks that picked Dole and Kerry because they thought they were the most electable candidates.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

ShyFlyer

Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:07 am

Why can't New Mexico be first?

Half the country thinks they need a passport to visit the state.  rotfl 
I lift things up and put them down.

ABQ747

Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:17 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 27):
Half the country thinks they need a passport to visit the state.

Good point. A lot of Hurricane Katrina evacuees didn't want to come to ABQ because they thought they were going to Mexico.  Yeah sure

MD-90

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:47 am

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 26):
Iowan's select "electability" at their peril. They choose candidates that really don't believe in anything or stand for anything in the quest for "electibility" aka bland, uninspiring, do nothings.

That explains Huckabee and Romney's victories.

NIKV69

Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:37 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 22):
Mike Huckabee is the man I want to win the GOP nomination. I'd be totally fine with him as President as well.
He wont get anything done, yet will take to fall for the mess in Iraq and thown out in 2012 in favor of a strong influential Democrat to get elected in 2012. Obama will have a stronger resume by 2012 also.

Wishful thinking. Huckabee has no shot at winning anything. Rudy will win and actually do something. Hillary and Obama have no plan whatsoever and will resort to the same bash Bush crap that killed Kerry in 04'. When you all thought he would defeat GW soundly. You could wait 20 years for Obama and his resume will be no better than what it is now. When he talks he just shows how underqualified he is to lead anything more than Illinois. The middle east would eat him alive. As they would Hillary which is why in November it will be the GOP again. You dems have no plans for this country, nationalized health care? Are you kidding? Hillary and Obama know that is the worst thing and will never happen yet they still smile and blow smoke up everyones asses about how they are going to do it. It's going to be Rudy against Hillary pal, and Rudy will win. Besides the GOP will rig the elections like they did in 04'. I mean there is no way GW could have won right?
 sarcastic 

Yet Rudy Giulani has featured in a Yahoo and CNN headline as Huckabee won the first caucus of 2008. Gee, does anyone else see a media bias?

No, why is it a bias? Do you really think this man has a shot at the nom? I will let you have your fantasy a little longer. Can't wait to see what you come up with when he is gone and it's up to Romney, Rudy and McCain. This ought to be good. Maybe by then the Dems will have a legit candidate instead of pinning their hopes on an eliteist and a green senator from Illinois.

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 25):
Why does everyone seem to be counting Clinton out of the race? So what she didn't finish first. Iowa wasn't her strong state to begin with, I would expect her to fair much better in NH.

She is going to win by default anyway, Obama is not president material and won't be no matter how long you wait. His run is coming to an end.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

ME AVN FAN

Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:17 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Thread starter):

It is the first primary and so the first actual voting. THIS is its relative importance.

ME AVN FAN

Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:24 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 1):
To all the political "experts," without a doubt.

To people outside of the USA it is interesting, as potential candidates become "visible". This "Huckka-What" suddenly has become a person in a way.
-

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):

THIS would be a good thing. But the multi-step procedure gives candidates the chance to change details of their campaing and someones the chance to bow out BEFORE the "Super Tuesday"
-

MadameConcorde

Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:27 am

I am no specialist in American politics and Presidential elections. I have a question for those who know more than me.

Does the fact that Hillary Clinton got seriously defeated in Iowa means that she has no chance of being chosen as the Democratic candidate for the White House?

What makes Barack Obama so popular among Democrat supporters and what makes him more credible than Hillary to become the next President of the United States?
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Superfly

Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:50 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 30):
Huckabee has no shot at winning anything.

Ummm, he just won tonight.  Yeah sure
The Iowa caucus is a VERY high profile election.

Rudy will win and actually do something.

...and that is my biggest fear. Anyone concerned about individual civil liberties should be very concerned about Rudy.

You could wait 20 years for Obama and his resume will be no better than what it is now.

Foretelling and sorcery is the work of Satan.  devil   Wink

When he talks he just shows how underqualified he is to lead anything more than Illinois.

rotfl 
You really need to re-read that comment.
Have you listened to the many Bushisms over the years?
Also, Obama is a Senator from Illinois, not a governor.
Rod Blagojevich is the one who "leads" Illinois. Senator Barak Obama represents his state in the Senate. You need a crash-course in 5th grade Civics.

The middle east would eat him alive.

rotfl   Silly  rotfl   Silly  rotfl   Silly

As they would Hillary which is why in November it will be the GOP again. You dems have no plans for this country, nationalized health care? Are you kidding? Hillary and Obama know that is the worst thing and will never happen yet they still smile and blow smoke up everyones asses about how they are going to do it. It's going to be Rudy against Hillary pal, and Rudy will win. Besides the GOP will rig the elections like they did in 04'. I mean there is no way GW could have won right?
sarcastic

You are starting to really make me laugh!  Silly

No, why is it a bias? Do you really think this man has a shot at the nom?

Well we can only go by who the voters chose. So far, yes. Your guy Rudy came in 5th place behind Ron Paul.

I will let you have your fantasy a little longer.

Thank you NIKV69. I am so greatful .  Smile

Can't wait to see what you come up with when he is gone and it's up to Romney, Rudy and McCain.

I am not a Republican.  confused 

Maybe by then the Dems will have a legit candidate instead of pinning their hopes on an eliteist and a green senator from Illinois.

Obama is Black. Clinton and Edwards are White.
None of them are "Green".

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 33):
What makes Barack Obama so popular among Democrat supporters and what makes him more credible than Hillary to become the next President of the United States?

Hillary Clinton would make a great President but unfortunately, the press and the Republican Party has spend 16 years bashing her. It's good ol fashion sexism. Many Democratic voters like her but are unsure if she could win in November. Many voters are taking a chance with a new face, Obama. He is also very intelligent and has an understanding of international affairs just as Clinton.
Bring back the Concorde

Beaucaire

Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:06 pm

Now that caucus was held in a 90% white ,rural and quite conservative state.
Can one extrapolate that Obama's results would be even better in rather more coloured states like Alabama,Georgia,New York or Texas ?
Hillary has lost many sympathies by changing her opinion too often .She's tied to the political "establishment" to a much larger degree than Obama.The USA might just have discovered the "thrill of the new" vote ....
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

Superfly

Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:22 pm

Iowa is 95% white, 3% hispanic, and 2% black and rural. Not very representative of America.

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 35):
Now that caucus was held in a 90% white ,rural and quite conservative state.
Can one extrapolate that Obama's results would be even better in rather more coloured states like Alabama,Georgia,New York or Texas ?

Certainly goes to show that Democratic voters are more sophisticated and will look beyond race and vote on a candidate based on their merit.

What gets me is how the press is almost outraged and act as if this wasn't supposed to happen. The people have spoken.

Read this article. They talk as if Huckabee is a problem of sorts.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20080104/pl_bloomberg/amfgx4wxcvd8

It's amazing how Rudy was given headlines at Yahoo, CNN and several other media outlets despite the fact that he only won 4%, coming in 5th place behind Ron Paul. I can tell there is some bitterness going back to Wall street and Capitol hill over this.
Go Mike Huckabee!  Cool
Bring back the Concorde

767Lover

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:26 pm

He wont get anything done, yet will take to fall for the mess in Iraq and thown out in 2012 in favor of a strong influential Democrat to get elected in 2012.

Gee, that's scary. I would never vote to have four years of shit just to "prove a point."

people from the large West and East Coast states act like the MIdwest is a backwater.

Not me and nor do us on the West coast.

I rest my case:

Sorry but Iowa for the most part is nothing but backwards, rural traditionalists that should not be selecting who end up being the nominee.

ltbewr

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:40 pm

The Iowa Caucuses, along with the New Hampshire primaries, are a very important 1st screening of candidates for the parties. Those that come in 1st, 2nd or 3rd in each party can attract more money in support of them, those that do worse generally lose money and other support and have to drop out. Another issue is that Iowa tends to support candidates that more reflect the base of the party, more liberal than average with the Democrats and more social conservative for the Republicans.
Obama and Edwards got a lot of votes from those against the war in Iraq which Sen. Clinton supported. Obama also targeted younger caucus goers and women who tend to be less prejudice and more likely to be anti-war as well as 'progressive' in their views. Sen. Clinton also got hurt by those that see problems with her due to her support of the war in Iraq, her connections to her husband Bill Clinton's scandals and fears she would be a punching bag for the Republicans in the general election and less likely to win.
Huckabee, a former Baptist minister, attracted religious Christians who have problems with Romney's Mormonism and Romney coming from a 'liberal' state that legalized via the courts gay marriage. Huckabee also has an interesting personal story and comes from a more modest background than other Republicans. Some Republicans also liked Huckabee's personality as well as having moderate tax and spending views.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:58 pm

people from the large West and East Coast states act like the MIdwest is a backwater

Well if they're going to vote for Huckabee it just confirms my suspicion Silly

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 29):
That explains Huckabee and Romney's victories.

And even Obama
E pur si muove -Galileo

Dougloid

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:50 pm

I'm starting to like your style, 'fly.

Quoting ABQ747 (Reply 23):
That doesn't really seem fair. Other states should also have a chance to hold the first caucuses in a Presidential election.

It's also something you need to take up with your political party.

Look who all those white folks just gave a tub thumping majority to...something nobody else in the allegedly more enlightened and civilized parts of the country has been willing to do up to this point. It kind of sorts out people who are willing to get involved in the political process from those who prefer to bitch from the sidelines in places like California and New York.

Y'all could stand up and be counted if you'd just....well..... stand up and be counted.

Time to rethink what's really important and how advanced in the realm of national politics the rest of you are, perhaps?

seb146

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:15 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 17):
Smaller states would be completely ignored if they didn't go first. It gives us the chance to see the candidates interaction in peoples living rooms and diners with actual voters.

I used to think every state should vote on the same day. This is a good reason why small states should go first. Oregon primaries are in May, I think. "Super Tuesday" is not. I think the campaign will wind down after "Super Tuesday" and Oregon will not see candidates because of this. We in Oregon and other small states will have to rely on the media for information on the candidates. That is sad.

BTW, does Iowa have a primary or is the caucus their primary?
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

planespotting

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:24 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 37):
I rest my case:

Your "case" shouldn't rely on other people to make statements of fact that are irrelevant.

Dougloid

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:30 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 41):
BTW, does Iowa have a primary or is the caucus their primary?

Well, what actually happened last night is we selected delegates to the state convention in March, although I do not think anyone stayed around for the announcement, least of all the candidates. It is pretty much a rubber stamp at any rate. I guess I coulda angled for a delegate spot but I wanted to go home at that point.

The Republican folks here operate a lot more like a primary-they come in, they vote, and they head home. The rest is on remote control-there is none of this infernal palaver and hollering that we Demos seem to be obsessed with.

I just checked and y'all are pretty much at the back of the herd but South Dakota is bringing up the rear a few days later.

ME AVN FAN

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:37 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 41):
I think the campaign will wind down after "Super Tuesday" and Oregon will not see candidates because of this. We in Oregon and other small states will have to rely on the media for information on the candidates. That is sad.

Well, I might say it is wrong. States like Oregon should place their primaries BEFORE the Supper Tuesday

seb146

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:38 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 43):
Well, what actually happened last night is we selected delegates to the state convention in March,

I am just confused, I guess, about the difference between "primary" and "caucus." So, in Iowa, the caucus is the primary, it sounds like. Like in Oregon we have "ballot measures" but in Washington they have "citizens initiatives." Or California has the Assembly and Oregon has the House of Representatives. Same thing.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:46 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 40):
those who prefer to bitch from the sidelines in places like California and New York.

...and call middle America racist, bigoted, or close minded Yeah sure
E pur si muove -Galileo

AirTranTUS

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:55 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 36):
Certainly goes to show that Democratic voters are more sophisticated and will look beyond race and vote on a candidate based on their merit.

Surely you don't believe that "sophisticated" crap.  confused 
I love ASO!

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:16 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 47):
Surely you don't believe that "sophisticated" crap.

Oh but he does.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 36):

Merit? Obama is admittedly a very nice guy, a handsome guy, a good speaker, and has about 20 minutes of actual experience to put on his resume. So far voters have chosen two people, Huckabee and Obama, whose resumes could both fit on the same side of the same index card, but who are fantastic "personalities". I can't remember who said it but they said "Obama will be an excellent Presidential candidate....in 2016". Huckabee will be an excellent candidate in 2000-never.
E pur si muove -Galileo

PPVRA

Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:28 pm

Rudy will win and actually do something.

It's going to be Rudy against Hillary pal, and Rudy will win

Rudy seems to do as much Dem-bashing as you say the Dems to Bush bashing. I'd say even more, because that's all he does. His insistence on the term "islamo fascist" is not only obviously fear mongering but has crossed into the ridiculous and annoying realm.

He didn't even pick up a single delegate in Iowa. No one sees him doing well in NH. Rudy is toast.

[Edited 2008-01-04 11:41:33]
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat