HALFA
Topic Author

Semester At Sea Program

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:44 am

My nephew is a junior at Colorado University in Boulder. He has applied and has been accepted to a college program called Semester At Sea and leaves in two weeks for the Bahama's where they will board a ship that will serve as a college campus for almost 4 months and sail around the world with stops in Brazil, South Africa, Mauritius, India, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Malaysia, China, Japan, Hawaii, Costa Rica and a few other spots. It sounds like a great experience and I was wondering if any of you have done this or know anyone that has?

More about it here:

http://www.semesteratsea.com/voyages/spring2008/sp2008_itinerary.html

Aloha,
HALFA
HA J Class Lie flats, coming soon to a plane near you........

luv2fly

RE: Semester At Sea Program

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:50 am

Didn't there ship get clobbered by a masive wave a few years back? I believe that there were no deaths just some injury to passengers, crew and the ship itself.
You can cut the irony with a knife

HALFA
Topic Author

Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:00 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 1):
Didn't there ship get clobbered by a masive wave a few years back?

Hey, that's not the kind of feed back I'm looking for!  Smile
The poor guy is already afraid of getting sea sick! I'll conveniently leave out your reply when I talk to him tomorrow!  Smile

HALFA
HA J Class Lie flats, coming soon to a plane near you........

andessmf

Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:35 am

Sister did it and loved it.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to take advantage of.

MCOflyer

Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:37 am

I hope he does not get sea sick as there will be at least some 12ft waves around the Cape horn area.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Mir

Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:40 am

Sounds like a really great program, and I considered doing it once, but passed because it would be pretty hard to continue with my flight training off a ship like that (though if they were to do it on an aircraft carrier, I'd be first in line  biggrin  )

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

flashflyguy

Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:07 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 4):
I hope he does not get sea sick as there will be at least some 12ft waves around the Cape horn area.

I don't think he'll have to worry about THAT, seeing as the itinery says they go nowhere near Cape Horn.  
Besides 12' waves aren't that big against this ship. I've been in worse.

HALFA as far as sea sickness goes, if he does suffer from it, he'll be over it once he gets his sea legs after a day or two.

This looks like the experience of a lifetime and he'll come away with new lifetime friends.

[Edited 2008-01-06 23:13:39]

USAFHummer

Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:31 am

I do know a couple of people who did it, and while I have not talked to them in any great detail about it, they all told me they really enjoyed the trip and would recommend it...

As far as the wave mentioned by Luv2fly, here is a link to a Google search which has some articles about it...just in case you were interested in reading about the incident in more detail...

http://www.google.com/search?q=Semes....mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=j16
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

MD-90

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:08 am

One of my aunts did her last hurrah on cruise liners as the shore excursions director for the 1991 Semester at Sea cruise. It is an AMAZING experience! It was her final cruise before entering Ole Miss law school (at the age of 42), and she enjoyed it tremendously. I'm not sure exactly what her title was, although she was one of the officers, and she was such a good negotiator that the director had to tell her to give away some stuff and reduce the margins because they were making too much money as a nonprofit.

If there are any specific questions you'd like to have answered I can ask her if you'd like. The students really get to experience the cultures in a way that you really can't otherwise. When the ship docks in a port the students fan out and live with local families. It is definitely not a semester for the timid but rather an experience of the lifetime for an adventurer.

Quoting FlashFlyGuy (Reply 6):
I don't think he'll have to worry about THAT, seeing as the itinery says they go nowhere near Cape Horn.

When my aunt was aboard they rounded the Cape in a storm and what really scared her was that the crew was obviously scared and many (of the crew) packed their bags, just in case. She's worked on Greek and Italian cruise ships in the Med but she said that was the roughest seas she's ever been in. She said several times the ship sailed over so hard that she wasn't sure it'd come back up again. But it wasn't as bad as the 2005 cruise with the rogue wave that knocked out the ship's engines.

looneytoon

Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:18 pm

I would do it

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 4):

that's nothing compared to a ship of the size they will be on. I've been on smaller ships and have experienced 40-60 foot seas while up in the Gulf of Alaska enroute from Japan to Seattle.
LooneyToon

RJdxer

Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:39 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 1):
Didn't there ship get clobbered by a masive wave a few years back? I believe that there were no deaths just some injury to passengers, crew and the ship itself.

You're talking about this adventure I think.

http://video.winzy.com/play/ea7bd5b3-4c03-4fb8-8ca0-56c1173e42ea

Just another reason that cruises are not on my vacation itineraries, except short ferry rides and even then I'm ready to abandon ship at any given moment.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

ManuCH
Crew

Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:37 pm

Quoting HALFA (Reply 2):
The poor guy is already afraid of getting sea sick!

Wait... he applied to stay 4 months on a ship, and he's afraid of getting sea sick? What am I missing?  Smile
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself