LAXspotter
Topic Author

Reporter: Tiger Woods Should Be Lynched

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:48 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/go...ng-golfers-should-l?urn=golf,60618

This reporter on the Golf Channel had the balls to say that. Apparently she doesnt know what is appropriate to say on Camera, and to make it worse Golf Channel allowed the lady to come back to work and just hand a simple apology and continued with the broadcast.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

NeilYYZ

RE: Reporter: Tiger Woods Should Be Lynched

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:53 am

In the spirit of fairness it was banter that was going on between two commentators about how good Tiger Woods is and how dominate he is. She didn't mean she wanted him killed.

That being said, a completely idiotic comment, and there really isn't an excuse.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

NIKV69

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:56 am

WTF? Need to see the clip. This is so out in left field. What context would she use that statement and why should they lynch him? Bizarre.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

jetjack74

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:16 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Thread starter):
This reporter on the Golf Channel had the balls to say that. Apparently she doesnt know what is appropriate to say on Camera, and to make it worse Golf Channel allowed the lady to come back to work and just hand a simple apology and continued with the broadcast.

The civil rights community has been in dire need of something recently. Since the nappy-headed hoes comment has died off since Don Imus is gone, and the Jena-6 has lost it;s appeal, the Reverend Al Sharpton has been looking for something else to throw up on. This may now be his chance. Someday, when the NFL is over 90% African American, it will deemed racism if someone uses words like "lynched"
or others.
Made from jets!

fridgmus

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:46 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 3):
The civil rights community has been in dire need of something recently.

They just got it.

Here we go again.
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:55 am

Quoting Fridgmus (Reply 4):
They just got it.

Here we go again.

and rightly so, when a person in public makes such comments and then is not reprimanded for such actions, they are rightly infuriated.

Confuscius

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:01 am

In today's world she should have known better, especially being a Southern Belle.
Ain't I a stinker?

fridgmus

Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:42 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 5):
and rightly so, when a person in public makes such comments and then is not reprimanded for such actions, they are rightly infuriated.

LAX, I don't believe the reporter meant for her remark to be taken in that context. I get so sick and tired of the whining by the so-called "Civil Rights" community over any little remark. hissyfit 

I fully support the Golf Channel's decision to just issue a simple apology and the let the reporter continue although IMO an apology is not necessary.
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

huskyaviation

Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:41 pm

This reporter on the Golf Channel had the balls to say that.

I am appalled that you would use such a poor choice of words, to imply that just because she works in sports means she has "balls" or is "butch". Women have fought a lot in this country to gain equal respect in the workplace, and you're just reinforcing a stereotype. Sheesh.

Queso

Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:48 pm

This reporter on the Golf Channel had the balls to say that.

Don't worry, nobody watches the Golf Channel, so nobody likely saw it. It was probably an employee that outed the comment.

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 3):
The civil rights community has been in dire need of something recently. Since the nappy-headed hoes comment has died off since Don Imus is gone, and the Jena-6 has lost it;s appeal, the Reverend Al Sharpton has been looking for something else to throw up on. This may now be his chance.

checkmark 

Quoting Fridgmus (Reply 7):
LAX, I don't believe the reporter meant for her remark to be taken in that context. I get so sick and tired of the whining by the so-called "Civil Rights" community over any little remark.

checkmark   checkmark 

ltbewr

Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:53 pm

The woman should be fired. Period.
The word 'lynch', especially in the way she used it as to a person, Tiger Woods who is in part of African-American herritage, is an obscene comment of suggesting a horrible act of violence to him. It would be like if she said as to a Woman PGA members that she be 'raped'. It is a totally unacceptable term today and it suggests that she has a poor knowlege of history and poor judgement that makes it inappropiate for her to be in such a public position.

767Lover

Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:54 pm

The comment was terrible and completely out of line.

As a side note, I am surprised that you are insinuating that this is a racially motivated comment given the fact that in a previous thread about the Iowa Caucus you said that a person being only 50% black doesn't in fact make them black. And you implied that they should not be considered as such. Therefore, by your definition the reporter's comment has no racial relevance...right?

MD-90

Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:52 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 6):
In today's world she should have known better, especially being a Southern Belle.

True southern belles aren't as dumb as this girl.

WTF was she thinking?

Mir

Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:02 pm

I don't believe the reporter meant for her remark to be taken in that context.

What context to you believe she meant her remark to be taken? According the article, it was that young players should lynch Tiger Woods in a back alley. That's an awfully strange comment to make, regardless of whether Woods is white or black - there's not much other way to take that other than encouraging physical harm to Tiger, though I don't believe that's what she meant.

Absolutely asinine comment.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

tz757300

Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:37 pm

1st Amendment anyone?

I may have been distasteful saying that in public, especially on camera, but she can still say it. Should she be fired, probably. Should everyone throw a big hissyfit about this? I don't think so.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

ORFflyer

Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:44 pm

I didn't see the quote. Like Queso said, it was on the Golf Channel, so not many other folks saw it either.

having said that, I think it's all about context. If she said it in a vicious manner, meaning it literally, then she should not only be fired, but maybe even taken to a back alley herself. If the comment was simply a light-hearted remark about the young golfers not being able to have a chance playing against him - then BFD!

Let's not get too politically correct here. It causes a lot of heartburn where it doesn't belong.

aa61hvy

Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:48 pm

Why lynch? She could have said "mug" or "jump" or even "beat up." What an idiot.
Go big or go home

andz

Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:48 pm

Quoting HuskyAviation (Reply 8):
I am appalled that you would use such a poor choice of words, to imply that just because she works in sports means she has "balls" or is "butch". Women have fought a lot in this country to gain equal respect in the workplace, and you're just reinforcing a stereotype. Sheesh.

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 15):
Let's not get too politically correct here.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

mham001

Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:54 pm

As for the racial context, it's not like plenty of whites haven't been lynched throughout history as well.

Tom in NO

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:20 pm

From http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3186158 :

Asked for a reaction, Woods' agent Mark Steinberg said: "This story is a non-issue. Tiger and Kelly are friends and Tiger has a great deal of respect for Kelly. Regardless of the choice of words used we know unequivocally that there was no ill-intent in her comments. This story is a non-issue in our eyes. Case closed."

She owned it, apologized for it, and Tiger's fine...let's move on.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

AirTranTUS

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:00 pm

Anyone have the full quote of what she said? All I see here are people reacting to an out of context segment. I want to see the whole thing before making judgment.
I love ASO!

huskyaviation

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:09 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 17):

I was trying to show LAXspotter the absurdity of this thread--a poor choice of words by Ms. Tilghman, but as an actual Golf Channel watcher who is familiar with her work, firing her for 1 stupid comment would be ironically akin to a lynching.

All of you who are calling for her firing without knowing who she is, or seeing the actual comment, should be pretty ashamed of yourselves. Get a life and grow a thicker skin.

[Edited 2008-01-09 09:11:21]

HOMER71

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:13 pm

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 12):
True southern belles aren't as dumb as this girl.

Except maybe for one...

"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

D L X

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:14 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 9):
Don't worry, nobody watches the Golf Channel, so nobody likely saw it.

So, that excuses it?
You're wrong anyway, as she said it on the air.

I think the issue should be settled by this response from Tiger's Agent at http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/2008-01-09-tilghman-tiger_N.htm :

Quote:
Mark Steinberg, Woods' agent, said, "It is a complete non-issue. Kelly and Tiger are friends. It might have been a poor choice of words, but there was absolutely no ill intent whatsoever."

But I'm troubled by some of the responses from people on this thread that suggest that that comment was even remotely acceptable.

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 15):
Let's not get too politically correct here. It causes a lot of heartburn where it doesn't belong.

I agree, but just like you don't joke about throwing people in an oven when talking to Jews, you don't suggest lynching when talking to Blacks.

miamiair

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:22 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 23):
But I'm troubled by some of the responses from people on this thread that suggest that that comment was even remotely acceptable.

It is remotely acceptable. People are entitled to their opinions; just as you are to yours. I may not like what you say, but you certainly have that right to say it. There are people that may not like blacks, jews, hispanics, gays. That is up to them, not up to you. You can choose not to associate with these people, buy from them, use their services, watch/listen to their programs, etc. I liken it to people that bitched about Howard Stern; I don't really care for his program most of the time, but if I didn't like it, I listen to something else. There is no need to bury him for his views or what he says.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

D L X

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:36 pm

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 24):
There are people that may not like blacks, jews, hispanics, gays. That is up to them, not up to you.

Dude, I have never once said that people aren't allowed to dislike people. Those are your words, not mine.

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 24):
You can choose not to associate with these people, buy from them, use their services, watch/listen to their programs, etc.

And I do! But you have to acknowledge that while you have the right to dislike blacks and jews, you do not have the right to have a job in television. So, if you exercise your right to hate, you should be prepared for the backlash against you for your views. If your customers choose not to associate with you, buy from you, use your services, or watch/listen to your programs because they are offended by your unacceptable comment, how long do you expect to have your job?

This is not a first amendment issue.

miamiair

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:42 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 25):
do not have the right to have a job in television.

I disagree with you. Not everyone shares your views, or mine for that matter.

Would I boycott watching the Golf Channel? No, I do not find the comment offensive. Excercise your right to not watch the channel.

NIKV69

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:43 pm

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 16):
Why lynch? She could have said "mug" or "jump" or even "beat up." What an idiot.

Exactly what I was thinking, I feel her southern background had something to do with it. Us Yankees would have said take him in a back alley and beat the shit out of him. I guess down there they still have that lynch thing in the back of their minds.

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 14):
1st Amendment anyone?

That is not the issue, she has every right to say it but at the time she said it she was representing not only the Golf Channel but the game of golf and it wasn't the best thing to say.

BTW we don't have to worry about Sharpton. He is flying in from Mexico to assist the other Newark jail escapee who is preparing to give himself up. The other was caught in a apartment right near the jail.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

PC12Fan

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:47 pm

People calling for this woman's firing are being very naive. You are jumping to conclusions about something you heard about on the media that you know very little about. All you heard about was the clip of her saying "the punch line". You didn't even realize that Kelly and Tiger have known each other for years. Tiger states that this is a non issue. She has apologized for something taken out of context, albeit the word she used is one she should have known would have consequences but there was no ill will behind them.

Finally, she made a mistake. Get over it and grow some thicker skin people. If there is anyone on this site that has never made a mistake, please speak now.....
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

D L X

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:54 pm

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 26):
Quoting D L X (Reply 25):
do not have the right to have a job in television.

I disagree with you. Not everyone shares your views, or mine for that matter.

You think she has a RIGHT to have a job in television? Damn, I wish I had that right.

No, I do not find the comment offensive.

You don't find a comment that says that a black golfer (the only major black golfer, at that) should be lynched is offensive?

miamiair

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:55 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 29):
You don't find a comment that says that a black golfer (the only major black golfer, at that) should be lynched is offensive?

No I do not have a problem with what she said.

Queso

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:14 pm

I think the issue should be settled by this response from Tiger's Agent at http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/2008-01-09-tilghman-tiger_N.htm :

Quote:
Mark Steinberg, Woods' agent, said, "It is a complete non-issue. Kelly and Tiger are friends. It might have been a poor choice of words, but there was absolutely no ill intent whatsoever."

Confused How can you say "I think the issue should be settled by this response from Tiger's Agent" meaning to me that you are SUPPORTIVE of his statement when he said "It is a complete non-issue."? What he said was obviously (at least to me, anyone else?) acnowledging that it was acceptable, but then you go on to say....

Confused I hope I am not the only one that sees it this way, but it appears to me that you are talking in circles.

So, that excuses it?
You're wrong anyway, as she said it on the air.

Confused Uhhhhhhh......did I ever say she didn't say it "on the air"? So how am I "wrong"?

D L X

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:19 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 31):
How can you say "I think the issue should be settled by this response from Tiger's Agent" meaning to me that you are SUPPORTIVE of his statement when he said "It is a complete non-issue."? What he said was obviously (at least to me, anyone else?) acnowledging that it was acceptable, but then you go on to say....

I'm saying that her comment is a non-issue now because she apologized, and Tiger's agent said they're cool. However, I am troubled by the fact that some people on this thread think that saying a black golfer should be lynched is acceptable. Those are not inconsistent, nor are they circular.

Tiger's agent did NOT say the comment was "acceptable." He did say it was a poor choice of words though.

Uhhhhhhh......did I ever say she didn't say it "on the air"? So how am I "wrong"?

You said nobody saw it.

fumanchewd

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:24 pm

Its a figure of speech thats used for all colors of people. Once again whitemanouttogetus paranoia takes over.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

Queso

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:30 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 32):
He did say it was a poor choice of words though.

No, he did not say that. What he said, without spin, is "It might have been a poor choice of words, but there was absolutely no ill intent whatsoever.", which you yourself quoted from the article you posted the link to....

Quote:

ORFflyer

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:31 pm

I hope I am not the only one that sees it this way, but it appears to me that you are talking in circles.

You are NOT the only one.

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 33):
Its a figure of speech thats used for all colors of people. Once again whitemanouttogetus paranoia takes over.

Ding, ding, ding, ding - we have a winner!!

www.dictionary.com

Not one reference of color in any of the ten definitions. It's simply a mob attack - period.

fumanchewd

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:36 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 35):
Not one reference of color in any of the ten definitions. It's simply a mob attack - period.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lynch

Agreed. I've used it when speaking about people who piss me off at work. "Aye, lets lynch the bastard". It has no relation to race.

What's interesting is that the commentator was probably not even thinking about race when she said it, she just used it in its proper context.

Its those who are racist, that seem to imply that she was referring to lynching a black man. (Why don't they imply lynching an asian?) She did not mean that and anything else is racist conjuncture.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

dl021

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:46 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 5):

Quoting HuskyAviation (Reply 8):

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 11):
The comment was terrible and completely out of line.

I agree, except that I don't know it was a racist comment. Just stupid in that she should have known it would be potentially misinterpreted (with and without maliscious intent).

I agree. In this age of racebaiting and politicization she should have been careful.

Anytime someone is miked they need to treat that as a firearm and figure it's always dangerous and treat it accordingly.

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 19):
She owned it, apologized for it, and Tiger's fine...let's move on.

I hope she's able to do so. I also hope that they're not misquoting or mischaracterizing Tiger on his being fine.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

D L X

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:52 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 34):
No, he did not say that. What he said, without spin, is "It might have been a poor choice of words, but there was absolutely no ill intent whatsoever."

Yeah sure
That's a very obtuse reading. Again, Tiger's agent did not say the comment was acceptable. That was your spin.

Have you never had a friend say something stupid that you quickly forgave because he was your friend, and you knew he didn't mean it? That's what happened here. That wouldn't give your friend license to say it again, and mean it this time. Not if he wanted to remain your friend.

D L X

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:56 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 37):
I agree, except that I don't know it was a racist comment. Just stupid in that she should have known it would be potentially misinterpreted (with and without maliscious intent).

I pretty much agree, but would go further and say she probably didn't mean it to be a racist comment. If Tiger's fine with her, I see no reason for anyone else to remain upset with her. (As in, you're not allowed to be angry for someone wronging me after I forgive them.)

My only thoughts on this going forward is amazement that some people can't see why the statement warranted an apology to begin with.

Queso

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:08 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 38):
That's a very obtuse reading.

I am just one person reading what was printed in the article, that's all. Even at that, I think the vast majority of people, including the reporter's employer and even apparently Mr. Woods himself, feel this was not a race-based comment.

As I see it right now the sensitive barometers indicating crossing of the line of racism are not showing anything out of the ordinary, such as there are no mass demonstrations at The Golf Channel's front door, calls for boycotting of Golf Channel advertisers, or substantial backlash among the racial community leaders such as Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton so I think this falls well below the threshold of what could be considered a race-based comment.

D L X

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:25 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 40):
I think the vast majority of people, including the reporter's employer and even apparently Mr. Woods himself, feel this was not a race-based comment.

While Woods thinks this was not racially-motivated comment (because he knows her personally), I think you're wrong about how the vast majority of people would view this comment. Most people would see this as troubling because of its racial connotations. You and a couple others can cite dictionaries if you like, but you simply cannot deny that in this country, in recent memory, nearly all the people that were lynched were Black, and the reason they were lynched was because they were Black. I think the vast majority of people would recognize that, and recognize why that comment was particularly insensitive when referring to Woods.

Now, I completely agree with you that everyone should call off their dogs when Woods says (through his agent) that they're cool. I think that is the reason you're not hearing anything of boycotts, or advertiser dumpings. America is a forgiving country... when you make an honest apology. Apparently, she apologized on air, during the telecast, because she realized after she said it that it was an inappropriate thing to say.

N1120A

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:30 pm

LAX, I don't believe the reporter meant for her remark to be taken in that context.

Out of context? She said a black guy should be lynched. I realize what she probably meant had nothing to do with the connotation the word takes in that context, but such meaning is implied simply through history.

IMO an apology is not necessary.

You think someone who says a black man should be lynched shouldn't appologise?

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 14):
1st Amendment anyone?

Like DLX said, she has every right to say whatever the hell she wants. She doesn't have a right to work in television.

Exactly.

I disagree with you.

So, then you think people have a right in TV?

I do not find the comment offensive.

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 30):

No I do not have a problem with what she said.

So you think we should lynch black people?

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 35):

Not one reference of color in any of the ten definitions.

There isn't a reference to the very obvious context involved here.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Queso

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:48 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 42):
You think someone who says a black man should be lynched shouldn't appologise?

Nope. She didn't make any reference to him being black.

She doesn't have a right to work in television.

The hell she doesn't. What law would you like to quote that says her right to have a job in the television industry is revoked because she what she said? This is nothing like a felon losing their right to vote. She has as much of a right to have a job in television as you or I do.

dl021

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:56 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 39):
My only thoughts on this going forward is amazement that some people can't see why the statement warranted an apology to begin with.

I think that some people are so far removed from racist thinking that they don't get it and get angry when accused of being racist (by insinuation or otherwise)

So you think we should lynch black people?

Do you think it's ok to lynch anyone else? The term "lynch" doesn't specify black people.

It's a method of mob justice or punishment, illegal and injust. But not exclusive to black people in America.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:06 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 44):
But not exclusive to black people in America.

it usually refers to the mob killing of African Americans in that context, it is highly innapropriate to use such words especially on TV, and a poor choice of words at best. To those who dont think its offensive in any way, talk to Black Friend, acquiantance if you have one and then ask them how they would feel if someone made such statements even in a joking way.

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 18):
it's not like plenty of whites haven't been lynched throughout history as well.

yep because overwhelmingly when you think about lynching you think about the Caucasian immigrant lynched by xenophobes.

Queso

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:18 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 45):
To those who dont think its offensive in any way, talk to Black Friend, acquiantance if you have one and then ask them how they would feel if someone made such statements even in a joking way.

I just did that, thanks for the suggestion. His response was he thought it was "stupid for dumbasses to get so upset about this kind of crap".

I think he's right. You can only be offended by what you choose to be offended by.

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:20 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 46):
I just did that, thanks for the suggestion. His response was he thought it was "stupid for dumbasses to get so upset about this kind of crap".

I guess African Americans in Texas are different that African Americans in CA.

N1120A

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:21 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 43):

Nope. She didn't make any reference to him being black.

He is the reference.

The hell she doesn't. What law would you like to quote that says her right to have a job in the television industry is revoked because she what she said?

So, she can walk up to a TV station and say "put me on TV" and they can't refuse? I don't think so.

Do you think it's ok to lynch anyone else?

Of course not

The term "lynch" doesn't specify black people.

No, but the usage brings up that a context.

She has as much of a right to have a job in television as you or I do.

We don't have a right to a job anywhere.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

yowza

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:24 pm

Very poor choice of words. Career nose dive commencing in 3, 2, 1

YOWza