KaiGywer
Crew
Topic Author

My Trusty Old Pentium II

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:25 pm

So since my laptop died, I haven't had a computer...well, until today. I pulled my old Pentium II 400 Mhz out of the dust and installed Windows 2000. Sitting here with IE 5.0 and just downloaded SP4. Man I hope I can afford a new computer soon.  rotfl 
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

michlis

RE: My Trusty Old Pentium II

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:30 pm

Wow! Pulling it out the dust? More like an archelogical dig!
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the outcome of a hundred battles.

airlinelover

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:34 pm

aincent history is more like it.. How well is it working?

Wait.. a.net loads so it can't be THAT screwed up..
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

carmenlu15

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:41 pm

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 2):
Wait.. a.net loads so it can't be THAT screwed up..

Much to the chagrin of the rest of a.nutters...  duck 
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

KaiGywer
Crew
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:32 pm

Actually it is working surprisingly well. Probably because I have nothing installed on it and plan on keeping it that way. Installing MSN, AIM, OpenOffice, and (already did) Firefox.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Queso

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:34 pm

No kidding, that thing will work very well for you since it has Windows 2000 on it. I still run 2000 on all of my Windows-based machines at home (3 of them) even though they are much more modern hardware than yours. It has much lower system overhead than XP and will run most of the same software. Have fun!

wilco737

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:37 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 4):
Actually it is working surprisingly well. Probably because I have nothing installed on it and plan on keeping it that way. Installing MSN, AIM, OpenOffice, and (already did) Firefox.

Duh, that could be too much already! Big grin

Ah well, the good old times with the Pentium II... wait, I never owned one! I only had a C64, then C128, Amiga 1000, then Pentium III Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

Queso

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:54 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention, I still have a PII with 256mb of RAM and no hard drive running Knoppix from a live CD. It's the machine I use when I need to go to websites I am not familiar with or I am just surfing around. If it ever were to pick up a virus, I simply reboot it and have a fresh OS install.

KROC

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:05 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 7):
Oh, I forgot to mention, I still have a PII with 256mb of RAM and no hard drive running Knoppix from a live CD. It's the machine I use when I need to go to websites I am not familiar with or I am just surfing around. If it ever were to pick up a virus, I simply reboot it and have a fresh OS install.

Yeah, and we know what websites you would be "surfing around" on with a set up like that.  Wink

Queso

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:11 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 8):
Yeah, and we know what websites you would be "surfing around" on with a set up like that.

Gotta keep up with news in the Middle East somehow, DirecTV doesn't offer AlJazeera.  Cool

KaiGywer
Crew
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:18 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 7):

I was considering using a Linux build, but I've tried it in the past and can never get wireless networking to work right. So Windows it was  Smile

Queso

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:21 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 10):
I've tried it in the past and can never get wireless networking to work right.

Yeah, if Linux/Knoppix has a weakness, that's it. The wireless networking support sucks. You just have to find a fairly generic card to use with it. I have an old D-Link PCMCIA card that works well in my laptop and a 11mbps no-name that works in the PII.

VonRichtofen

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:25 pm

They sure don't make hardware like they used. My motherboard crapped out on my 2.4Ghz machine a few weeks ago. I dug my old PIII 450Mhz machine out, and fired it up. sure enough it still works. I'm even running XP on it quite well. Soon, once I decide I need to shell out money on computer shit (I hate spending money on it) I'll buy a new motherboard and get my 2.4Ghz machine running again.

Kris

KaiGywer
Crew
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:28 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 11):
Yeah, if Linux/Knoppix has a weakness, that's it. The wireless networking support sucks. You just have to find a fairly generic card to use with it. I have an old D-Link PCMCIA card that works well in my laptop and a 11mbps no-name that works in the PII.

Oh well. I'll live with Windows for now  Smile

Queso

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:30 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 13):
Oh well. I'll live with Windows for now

I would too, my friend.

BR715-A1-30

Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:33 pm

Probably because I have nothing installed on it and plan on keeping it that way

Installing MSN, AIM, OpenOffice, and (already did) Firefox.

So much for having NOTHING installed on it  Silly

I still remember what our PENTIUM computer looked like (Not Pentium II)... That damn thing was bigger than my XPS 710
Puhdiddle

Jasondn

Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:41 pm

Do you guys remember when DOS was cool????

c:/pacman.exe

file names like that - classic!

aloges

Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:14 pm

Quoting Jasondn (Reply 16):
Do you guys remember when DOS was cool????

Yup, I believe this was my "civ.bat":

@echo off
cd civilization
civ.exe

biggrin 

BTW, I'm posting from an AMD Athlon @1300 MHz with a 10GB IBM harddrive... and a 5 1/4" floppy drive.  Silly
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Duff44

Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:06 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Thread starter):
So since my laptop died, I haven't had a computer...well, until today. I pulled my old Pentium II 400 Mhz out of the dust and installed Windows 2000. Sitting here with IE 5.0 and just downloaded SP4. Man I hope I can afford a new computer soon.

I still have the Mobo, processor, and old hard drive from my Pentium I 233 MHz machine sitting in my closet... I even have all the original software that came with it (this is circa 1997). And a spare case on top of that...

I'm thinking about getting it up and running for no other reason than this is America and I can Big grin
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

jamesbaldwyn

Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:10 am

I have a 1.7Ghz AMD something or other in my garage, looks more like a Cartridge for the old Nintendo's than a processor Big grin

pilotdude09

Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:41 am

Heres a good story, Keep in mind this happened in November last year!!

Im pretty up with computers etc.....anyway this lady i used to work with asked how to get the internet so i explained to here and she said she didnt have any of the icons or start button, so i though she might have an apple so explained to her what to do.

She came back to me the next day and said she still couldnt figure it out, so i said i would go around to her house, got around there and the computer was sitting there ancient as a mummy.

Booted it up and it came up with Microsoft Windows 3.0!!!!!! i was kind of in disbelief that anyone could have it   

Cut it a long story short, told her to throw it in the bin along with the old BIG floppy discs that she had a collection of and buy a small laptop for herself which she enjoys more hahaha.

But i remember using 3.0 in primary school 14/15 years ago, brings back the earliest memories of computers!

[Edited 2008-01-09 17:50:53]
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

Queso

Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:46 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 17):
BTW, I'm posting from an AMD Athlon @1300 MHz with a 10GB IBM harddrive... and a 5 1/4" floppy drive.

Dude! We need to start a thread and to see who can make a post on A.net using the most modest equipment with the oldest OS!!! That might be fun!

LASoctoberB6

Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:31 am

Can you do that stuff to laptops? Like pull out the mothaboard (yes, purposely misspelled) and add stuff like an S Video port and update the video/sound cards? If not, I really need to get a new laptop.
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

zippyjet

Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:52 am

That sucks that your laptop did an Anna Nicole. I remember when that happened to my first laptop. Pentium II was the DC 3 of processors. It took a licking and kept on ticking. At the time, many reviewers like P II over the then bargain basement Celeron. Back in the day, I said Pentium should have slapped the Celeron on the P II and they would have had a winner back then. My desktop P II is still in my kitchen where my kitten sometimes jumps on the keyboard andmakes biscuits. Both my first laptop and that desktop were Compaq which were lemons save for that P II processor. Hopefully with our economy tanking there will be laptop bargains. Research C-Net, Pc Magazine online and avoid Compaq/HP products like the plague, Mitt Romney and Ralph Nader and you should be in like Flint!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

Klaus

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:29 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 22):
Can you do that stuff to laptops? Like pull out the mothaboard (yes, purposely misspelled) and add stuff like an S Video port and update the video/sound cards?

Almost always the answer is unfortunately "no". Laptop motherboards are usually custom designed for the respective computer model (and the outer shell to the respective motherboard) and cannot be replaced with a newer one. Inflexibility is the primary disadvantage of laptops versus desktop machines.

zippyjet

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:37 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 24):
Inflexibility is the primary disadvantage of laptops versus desktop machines.

That, I remember from my first Laptop which was a Comp USA brand which in reality was a very low end Compaq model. It did have an excellent 13 inch screen which for back in 2000 and the low end was fantastic but alas, I learned I was stuck with the computer's awful Celeron slow unstable proscessor. I've learned my lesson and now own a Dell Inspiron 1505 15.1 inch wide screen with Vista and 2 gig and the Pentium dual proscessor and so far so very very good.  bigthumbsup . My "Zippyjet" sage advice: when buying a laptop go for one of the more reliable brands and buy more computer than you think you will need. As much ram, stronger proscessor, splurge for a laptop cooling pad. Worth it's weight in gold because heat is a laptop's worse enemy. And avoid Compaq/HP produces unless you want to spend more time getting it fixed than using it!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

VonRichtofen

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:27 am

Oh my god you just brought back memories

Anybody play the Lucasfilm Flight simulators like Battle of Britain or Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe?

C:>cd/BOB 1940
C:/BOB 1940>BOB

[Edited 2008-01-09 21:28:03]

KaiGywer
Crew
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:33 am

Wow, this looks weird. Got the computer home (I set it up at Katie's place earlier). It sure looks weird to have this ancient computer hooked up to a 22" LCD widescreen  Smile Oh, and I keep wanting to scroll, but there is no scroll wheel on this mouse.  rotfl 

aloges

Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:04 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 21):
Dude! We need to start a thread and to see who can make a post on A.net using the most modest equipment with the oldest OS!!! That might be fun!

Hm. In that case, I shall bang my head against the wall (or whallop myself upside it, whichever you'd rather) for I finally parted with my old 75MHz Pentium last year. I do have a 200MHz one left though; I think the HDD is about 1.7 GB formatted.

BTW, the 200MHz PC was upped to that from 133MHz. I've also just looked for and found an IBM OS/2 CD and I'm fairly certain there are sets of 3.5" MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 "for Workgroups" floppy disks somewhere. Now, to find a browser installation file for either of those...

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 27):
Oh, and I keep wanting to scroll, but there is no scroll wheel on this mouse.

N00b! I've got a trackball with a serial connector! I opened it once for cleaning, the circuit board inside it wasn't your usual green or brown, it was white. Big grin

[Edited 2008-01-10 02:14:10]

Queso

Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:51 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 28):
Hm. In that case, I shall bang my head against the wall (or whallop myself upside it, whichever you'd rather) for I finally parted with my old 75MHz Pentium last year. I do have a 200MHz one left though; I think the HDD is about 1.7 GB formatted.

I think I've got ya beat. I have an old IBM 286 running Windows 3.1 I keep lying around to program radios because there is no updated version of the software and the software will not run on newer versions of Windows (believe me, I have tried using compatability mode and DOS screens customized for it, won't work because of the UART port handling). I also put IE4 on it and an old ISA NIC so it shouldn't be too hard to get onto A.net. I'll give it a try later and send screenshots.

Dougloid

Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:10 pm

This is a really interesting discussion.

My first computer was an Apple MacIIVX, and it served me well until 1999 when I replaced it with an IBM Aptiva 2174 running a AMD Athlon at 500mhz and mirabile dictu! a 17 gb hard drive. When I got my Dell Dimension I put the IBM on standby service with a minimal load of applications and it served me quite well in that role. I did some upgrades along the way-new processor, more memory-but I was out of places for more memory.

I recently gutted it and used the drives in a bare bones Dell workstation I got at university surplus on the cheap. I still have the case which I am saving for a build-it is a nice solid well made ATX case.

If any of you guys has a use for a good working Slot A Athlon processor at 833 mhz let me know....you could have it for postage and a beer. The mobo is gone but I also have 384 mb of memory.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

michlis

Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:12 pm

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 25):
That, I remember from my first Laptop which was a Comp USA brand which in reality was a very low end Compaq model.

Did Compaq ever make a high-end computer?  stirthepot 
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the outcome of a hundred battles.

airlinelover

Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:53 pm

Quoting Michlis (Reply 31):
Did Compaq ever make a high-end computer?

I've never recommended, nor will I ever recommend a Compaq. They're junk. Even HP buying them didn't fix that..
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

SBBRTech

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:01 pm

Quoting Pilotdude09 (Reply 20):
Booted it up and it came up with Microsoft Windows 3.0!!!!!! i was kind of in disbelief that anyone could have it

LOL. That's great. Did she dump the thing?

In 2006 this ramper (good guy but technologically clueless) came by with a laptop asking for some help with the internet. After checking what looked like a 10 yr old brick made by some KDS (who?) we kindly informed him that Win 95 and 64MB of RAM wouldn't let him do much and that in addition his ethernet card was busted.
He looked annoyed when I told him to search for that part in a computer museum and than he said : Quote: "OK, but for now I just need to look for some information, so would you please save the internet for me ?" /Quote.
As he said that, he handled me a 1.44MB FLOPPY DISK !! Man...
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

ManuCH
Crew

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:22 pm

@echo off
cd civilization
civ.exe

redflag  DOS directory names can only be up to 8 characters long  Wink
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

yowza

Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:32 pm

May I suggest you install ubuntu? Unless you need any progams that are windows only ubuntu provides everything you need, it's free and runs beautifully on old hardware such as PIIs. I am running a PII box to serve certain media files at home and it runs like a dream.

YOWza

aloges

Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:41 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 29):
I think I've got ya beat. I have an old IBM 286

rotfl  I suppose that thing must be about as old as I am, so yes you do have me beat!

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 34):
DOS directory names can only be up to 8 characters long

Oh, damn... it's been far too long!  no  "cd civ" it must have been.

KaiGywer
Crew
Topic Author

Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:20 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 35):
May I suggest you install ubuntu? Unless you need any progams that are windows only ubuntu provides everything you need, it's free and runs beautifully on old hardware such as PIIs. I am running a PII box to serve certain media files at home and it runs like a dream.

I tried that before, and it doesn't recognize my wireless card

Dougloid

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:19 pm

Quoting SBBRTech (Reply 33):
After checking what looked like a 10 yr old brick made by some KDS (who?)

KDS is Korean Data Systems. I bought one of their Avitron monitors in 1999 because it had a Trinitron tube (nice stuff) but every once in a while the pic on the display would collapse and expand. I guess I coulda tried a new video card or something but I tolerated it. Never did get any response from their "technical support".

http://www.kdsusa.com/

ORFflyer

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:35 pm

We ahve a few old Z-248's in the back LAB. None of our techs would even try to get them ion the internet for me though.

Z-248's were all over Navy ships back in the late 80's and early 90's. They were 286's running at 12 or 18 MHz. One of my first jobs in defense contracting was replacing these with 386's running at 40MHz. (Unisys PW2 Advantage - or something like that) Most had 2mb RAM and a 20mb HDD. The Department Heads got 4mb RAM, and a 40 HDD. I loaded DOS 5 or 5.1, and Windows 3.0 - later DOS 6 and Windows 3.11.

You've never seen sailors get so excited to see me and my truck full of goodies show up at the brow.  biggrin 

Klaus

Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:53 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 38):
KDS is Korean Data Systems. I bought one of their Avitron monitors in 1999 because it had a Trinitron tube (nice stuff) but every once in a while the pic on the display would collapse and expand. I guess I coulda tried a new video card or something but I tolerated it. Never did get any response from their "technical support".

That looks like an occasional high-voltage discharge due to insufficient insulation and/or too much dust and grime on the tube around the anode connection. It was probably accompanied by a soft snapping sound as well...

Dougloid

Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:02 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 40):
That looks like an occasional high-voltage discharge due to insufficient insulation and/or too much dust and grime on the tube around the anode connection. It was probably accompanied by a soft snapping sound as well...

Dang it Klaus, you're too smart for your own good. Is everyone in Germany as smart as y'all? That's exactly what it did. Fact is, I exchanged the monitor for another and it did about the same thing.....I still have it here and it's going to get given away or recycled so I might just pop it open and take a look at the connector for some carbon tracking.

Klaus

Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:10 pm

Merely some experience accumulated with a few CRTs over the years... Of course you know that extreme caution is required when opening one up for both residual charge and risk of implosion, right?

(Just needing the disclaimer here for everyone to see.  mischievous  )

Ryan h

Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:17 am

All the old stuff in our house was gotten rid of a long time ago.

Dad whinges when someone asks him to fix an old computer as they are slow and the oldest version of windows we have is XP as Win95 and Win98 CDs etc were thrown out a long time ago.

I still remember Windows 3.0 and 3.1 and MS DOS. Glad those days are behind us now.

Was reading an old magazine last night which had an article on Flight Sim 5. How did we ever manage with graphics like that?.
South Australian Spotter www.ryanhothersall.net

Dougloid

Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:08 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 42):
Merely some experience accumulated with a few CRTs over the years... Of course you know that extreme caution is required when opening one up for both residual charge and risk of implosion, right?

(Just needing the disclaimer here for everyone to see. )

Yes....having shot the occasional television out in the desert...one of our cultural icons, Mr. Presley, was an exponent of the art of destroying cathode ray tubes with powerful handguns at close range. Any charge will have leaked away because the monitor has not been used in months.

Quoting Ryan h (Reply 43):
Was reading an old magazine last night which had an article on Flight Sim 5. How did we ever manage with graphics like that?.

I've got a 1982 issue of Personal Computing which makes for hilarious reading.

All kidding aside fellows, here'e a REAL STORY which tells you something.

Back in the day we had a procedure for 'recompensating' the EGT trim resistor on Garrett TPE331 engines. It required running the engine on a dynamometer or test stand, taking about 10 parameters at 8 or 9 different power outputs, and then calculating the data to plot it on a graph so you could get to the new trim number so one could properly adjust the compensating resistor and use some temperature margin.

The way that the data was computed was this. You take a calculator and sit in a quiet office with a page full of formulas and calculate each data point. This could take a day or more and one mistake and you were toast.

Then the factory provided us with TI programmable calculators....this reduced the task to about three hours of work, assuming you had not lost one of the little tapes that you programmed the thing with.

One of the guys in the shop had an Apple II. He thought he could do better so he brought the thing into work and programmed it to do the calculations in question. We'd load the data points in, start the execution, and the entire calculation set would be done and printed on a dot matrix printer in about 20 seconds.

That was in 1982, and his name was Jim Hubbard.

greasespot

Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:34 pm

Ahhh the pc evolution......My first(that I bought and not my parents) was a 486....then I bought a P90 chips and mothorboard....then I bought a P90 notebook used which was my favorite as it had a trackball instead of the touch pad....then I bought a PII, cannot remmebr the speed toshibia notebook in new in 1998.....been using notebook exclusively since then. Had a couple Dells and a compaq and another Toshiba

Now I have a HP turion 64 dual core

But I still miss the trackball....still my favorite cursor movement device...

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"