PC12Fan
Topic Author

One Year Ago Today, An Autism Diagnosis

Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:39 am

One year ago today, my youngest of two was diagnosed with Autism. I'm only proclaiming this because of the miraculous advance that he has made over the past year. At the time, Evan was being compared to other in his age group that had the possibility of becoming a "normal" five year old with the proper treatments and therapy. He was three at the time of diagnosis, and he is within grasp of achieving this incredible goal. I swell with pride saying that I had a near normal conversation with him last week. Those that are familiar with this situation know that this is a significant event. This was on the phone, and when I hung up, I pumped my fist and damned near cried I was so happy.

Autism is an incredible challenge. I feel "lucky" that we may have had it somewhat easy with our situation. I know there are other families that have it much more difficult than we did, although we had no cakewalk by any means.

Some here on A.net self gloss about the number of posts they have. Or about their birthdays. Or about a new job. I am self glossing about my son saying "FU" to the hand he was dealt, and I am one of the proudest fathers on the face of the earth.

For those facing this hurdle at this young age, I encourage you, get therapy, do it often, and do it relentlessly. There has been short term pain, but overwhelming long term gain.

Way to go buddy, I love you!!!!
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

767Lover

RE: One Year Ago Today, An Autism Diagnosis

Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:50 am

That is wonderful and I'm sure it was a very "fist pumping" moment for you indeed. Best of luck to the little guy that he continues to make progress.

Klaus

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:35 am

Well, it's not actually self-gloss anyway.

But it most certainly does sound like a gloss-worthy moment to me, so more power to you and your family!  bigthumbsup 

Nancy

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:59 am

That's great. I'm glad that he could get the help he needs. Good for you too, I'm sure you had to push for the services.