YVRLTN
Topic Author

Neil Peart - A Great?

Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:28 am

Im not a huge Rush fan, but I do think Neil Peart is one of the greatest drummers ever. Anyone agree?? His technical ability is phenomenal and its him that makes Rush the band they are - a good example of this ability is The Rhythm Method.

Other contenders are John Bonham, Roger Taylor, Phil Rudd & Nicko McBrain. I believe Peart matches all these guys with pure technical ability however. Taylor is somewhat special IMO for his vocal & songwriting abilities too, but he doesnt have a set like Peart to get around!!
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

vikkyvik

RE: Neil Peart - A Great?

Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:43 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Thread starter):
His technical ability is phenomenal and its him that makes Rush the band they are

checkmark 

Definitely one of my favorite drummers. Although, to be fair, Rush wouldn't be Rush without any one of the three members.

And remarkably, after 30+ years, he (and all of Rush) are still in top form.

Phil Rudd

Phil Rudd has some of the best "feel" of any drummer I've heard. The actual parts are generally simple to play, but his feel (along with Cliff Williams) really makes ACDC's songs groove, which is a major part of what sets their songs apart from just being average rock songs (in my opinion).
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Superfly

Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:48 am

I've been a die hard RUSH fan since I was 12 years old. Yes Neil Peart is a great drummer and song writer but also, Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson are fantastic musicians as well. Many people like Rush for Neil Peart's magnificent drumming. I like it all. Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson are very versatile and able to play multiple instruments as the same time.
Geddy Lee usually plays bass, synthesizers and sings at the same time.
Alex Lifeson often switches between electric and acoustic guitars in the same song as well as play Taurus pedals and synthesizers.
Bring back the Concorde

SBBRTech

Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:00 pm

IMHO Neil is the greatest rock drummer ever!
A very competent writer and something of a fanatic book worm who never compromised his musical views. No need to comment on his drumming chops 'cos he goes over the scale.
Like Superfly I've been a Rush fan since my early teens so I can't conceive it in any other shape than the Lee-Lifeson-Peart power trio. Even if Rutsey had stayed the band would be something quite different...and I guess it would not be around anymore.
His comeback after the family tragedies he suffered is something to be noted as well.
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

Banco

Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:08 pm

Peart's big influence in his drumming style wasn't any of those mentioned, but rather Keith Moon. Although he certainly has technical ability, his style is more akin to Moon's in that he tries to use the drums as an integral instrument rather than being simply a timekeeper. Bonham in particular was one of the finest exponents of technical excellence, syncopatic grooves being his thing. Moon was anything but, being very much a natural drummer with an extraordinary level of "feel" for the music that was virtually uncopyable (replicating on Who songs wasn't the difficult bit - bringing it to new music was) for most. Peart is similar - and style and technique which is actually rather rare today. That's what gives Rush - whether you like them or not - their unusual style.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

AGM100

Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:19 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 4):
but rather Keith Moon

Good point , for a great example of Mr.Moons drumming ability .. try listening to "Going Mobile" on the head phones. Just a amazing display IMO.

Neil Pert is in a class of his own, as IMO are the other members of Rush. They just have that ability to make great music and to make it seem effortless.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

miamiair

Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:31 pm

Anyone agree??

100%

I've been listening to them since the late 70's.

Went to their concert this summer and took my then 8-year old, that knew the words to most of the songs they played.

Peart is incredible. Hands down the best.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

cfalk

Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:02 pm

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 1):
Definitely one of my favorite drummers. Although, to be fair, Rush wouldn't be Rush without any one of the three members.

And remarkably, after 30+ years, he (and all of Rush) are still in top form.

I've been a fan since Permanent Waves came out (kinda dates me  Smile)

The thing about Rush is that all three of them seem to be very close friends - Lifeson and Lee closest of all, but when Peart's life fell apart a few years ago and his wife and daughter died, and Peart didn't know whether he would ever play again, Lee and Lifeson said that whatever happened, Rush would never play again if Peart wasn't there - no replacements. I think that goes for all of them. Rush is made up some extraordinary talent on all three sides, and replacing any one of them would completely change the sound of the band.

Quoting Banco (Reply 4):
Peart's big influence in his drumming style wasn't any of those mentioned, but rather Keith Moon. Although he certainly has technical ability, his style is more akin to Moon's in that he tries to use the drums as an integral instrument rather than being simply a timekeeper.

I'm a big fan of both, but Moonie couldn't keep time to save his life - he was all over the place. The only times when he managed to stay more or less in time was when, for certain songs, he would play with headsets and a clicker track. His playing just flowed from the gut.

Peart has impeccable timekeeping, and has this wonderful ability to change times seamlessly. Recently I was listening to either 'Limelight' or 'Tom Sawyer' in the car and was counting the time changes. Just a short little song but I counted something like 23 time changes.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

miamiair

Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:25 pm

One of my favorite clips:

Even has his monogram on the drum like Buddy Rich did.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

Banco

Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:04 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 7):
Quoting Banco (Reply 4):
Peart's big influence in his drumming style wasn't any of those mentioned, but rather Keith Moon. Although he certainly has technical ability, his style is more akin to Moon's in that he tries to use the drums as an integral instrument rather than being simply a timekeeper.

I'm a big fan of both, but Moonie couldn't keep time to save his life - he was all over the place. The only times when he managed to stay more or less in time was when, for certain songs, he would play with headsets and a clicker track. His playing just flowed from the gut.

Well. A bit of an exaggeration. There are numerous songs where Moon plays pretty straight, simply as a timekeeper, so to say he couldn't do it to save his life is far from true, either live or in the studio. You must also take into account that the live Who would sometimes have a drumstick in mid-air when it should be striking a drum, an arm above a head when it should be striking a guitar, or a microphone lassooing when it should be being sung into.

Moon only ever used click-tracks for the synthesizer songs, such as Baba O'Riley, Won't Get Fooled Again or the rarely played (in his lifetime) Quadrophenia songs; this was because the Who didn't have a keyboard player, and so the synths were from backing tracks, and the song had to follow them. Nothing remotely unusual about that, and to suggest Moon needed a click track to keep in time is simply nonsense.

Nevertheless, even his most ardent admirer would concede he wasn't a timekeeper. And why would he wish to be, when he had so much more to offer?

PSA53

Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:39 pm

Other contenders are John Bonham

IMO,I felt Bonham was good,but not in the greatness,lengendary class as Ginger Baker,Carl Palmer and Neil Peart. But VH1 Classic, from a fan poll, felt Bonham was actually #1.Oh,well.

Peart is such a joy to watch.He is awesome.He deserves any tribute,undisputed.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

YVRLTN
Topic Author

Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:48 am

Glad you agree!! Had some arguments recently - 'best musician to come out of Canada anyway, but not hard when your competition is Bryan Adams...' type of stuff (and im not Canadian BTW...)

Quoting Banco (Reply 9):
Nevertheless, even his most ardent admirer would concede he wasn't a timekeeper

Yes, I should have mentioned Moon, but I think it was worse towards the end of his life, no doubt the booze and drugs took their toll, but hes still greater than most others - heres an example, quite a few mistakes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCNeVHv3Mlg

Then again, Keith Richards is still alive so mebbe thats not the reason!!! Speaking of The Who reminds me of Ringo Starr (the Zak connection...) - he was somewhat a 'pioneer' and who knows where he may have gone if The Beatles hadnt split up (not that he became crap post Beatles...), but he was extremely consistent and one of the best timekeepers. Mix a brilliant time keeper, a brilliant talent & unique style and you get Neil Peart.

Any opinions on Roger Taylor?? Very different to Peart & Moon, and always somewhat in Freddie's shadow with Queen, but a great drummer nonetheless and also very consistent.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

zTagged

Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:54 am

Neil and Phil Collins - drumgods. Both are my drumming heroes.
Something awful.

surfpunk

Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:56 am

Neil Peart will always stand out in my mind as far as drummers go, but a couple of very, very good ones are/were Tommy Lee of Mötley Crüe and Danny Carey of Tool. Carey is probably the best of the current breed.

NeilYYZ

Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:13 am

Peart is phenomenal! I'm not really a fan of Rush, but his skill is second to none. Saw them in concert once and it was amazing, his talent is just mind boggling!
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

aaflt1871

Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:40 am

Quoting ZTagged (Reply 12):
Neil and Phil Collins - drumgods.

You have to add Carter Beauford to that list

Where did everybody go?

Banco

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:51 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 11):
Yes, I should have mentioned Moon, but I think it was worse towards the end of his life, no doubt the booze and drugs took their toll, but hes still greater than most others - heres an example, quite a few mistakes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCNeV...v3Mlg

That was the Shepperton gig, from May 1978, just three months before he died and his last live performance. You can see the condition he's in; by that stage his drumming had fallen to pieces, as any cursory listen of the Who Are You album demonstrates. On one track - Music Must Change, the drums were left off completely, because Moon could no longer handle the 6/8 time required. That was when he screamed in frustration "I'm still the best Keith Moon type drummer in the world!". However, the Who were beginning to consider their options, and were telling him he had to shape up or he would be out. What stopped them was their terror of what would happen to him without the Who.

The Kilburn gig from 1977, also filmed for the Kids Are Alright film from which the above clip is taken, has never been fully released. By all accounts it was a bit of a disaster, because Moon was in such terrible condition, both physically and professionally.

Sad, really.