2007, the Hawaii football team is undefeated, I'm drinking hand granades (that's what they were called) on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, celebrating the perfect ending to the season at the Sugar Bowl.
2008 is barely a week old and.........
1) Hawaii gets pounded by Georgia in our first BCS game.
2) June Jones, Hawaii's head coach, resigns and takes the head coaching job at SMU.
3) Colt Brennan, Hawaii's star QB, graduates and then our teams two star WR's opt out and apply for the NFL draft. (Bess and Grice-Mullins).
4) Herman Frazier, Hawaii's Athletic Director is fired.
5) Tonight we learn that one of our receivers that I had the pleasure of meeting just last week on Hawaii's charter flight home from New Orleans died of cardiac arrest. Mitch Farney was only 20 years old. We talked for awhile and he told me how he was looking forward to going home to see his family in Arizona before school was to start. Very tragic, and sad.
6) So now, in the middle of football recruiting season, we have no head coach and no athletic director. I ask again, can things get any worse? Yes they can! Hawaii opens the football season in less than 8 months AT FLORIDA!!!
Might we be the first football team to go 12-0 in the regular season to be followed by an 0-12 season?
It's so amazing. I was on such a high last week in New Orleans, and now this!!!!