jetblueguy22

Applying For A Visa

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:15 am

This summer I am going to Australia. How do I apply for a Visa to gain entry into the country. It is the first time I have left the country so I am not framiliar with the process. Do I have to go to the embassy?
Thanks
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

dfwmzuri

RE: Applying For A Visa

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:20 am

I think you can do it online. Check website below.

http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/index.html

Coal

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:20 am

Assuming you are a US Citizen, you need to get one online from the Electronic Travel Authority, and it just takes a few clicks to do so. Go to http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/

Enjoy Aussie, it's a great country!

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-CGK-SIN | SQ SIN-BKK-SIN | KL SIN-DPS-SIN

blrBird

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:21 am

If you are an American citizen then go to this site and apply for ETA... it is good for 3 months stay..
http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/
from star dust....

jetblueguy22

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:21 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 2):
Enjoy Aussie, it's a great country!

Thank you I will.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Coal

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:23 am

Damn! The internet is slow here in Jo'burg and got beat!

Where in Aussie are you going? And are you going just for holidays?

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-CGK-SIN | SQ SIN-BKK-SIN | KL SIN-DPS-SIN

jetblueguy22

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:26 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 5):
Where in Aussie are you going?

Im starting in Sydney and moving my way up the coast. The trip is 20 days its for a student ambassador program.

Quoting Coal (Reply 5):
And are you going just for holidays?

No. Im going to represent American students.
Blue

swiftski

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:33 am

Hi,

Sorry to hijack.

I arrive SYD 22nd Feb and leave 25th Feb. I am just visiting. I have a UK passport. Do I also need this Visa? I wasn't made aware at the time of booking.

Swiftski

Springbok747

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:33 am

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 7):
I arrive SYD 22nd Feb and leave 25th Feb. I am just visiting. I have a UK passport. Do I also need this Visa? I wasn't made aware at the time of booking.

You can get a visa on arrival.

Quoting Jetblueguy22 (Thread starter):
Do I have to go to the embassy?

No. You can do it online. Check out http://www.immi.gov.au

BTW I thought you were coming as part of some student program..didn't they arrange for your visa?
אני תומך בישראל

JGPH1A

Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:46 am

I'd get one if I were you - it's very easy, just go to www.smarttraveler.gov.au. It's valid for 3 months.

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 8):

Really ? The airline will check for an ETA in your name when you check-in, if you don't have one normally they won't let you board. I'd go to the website and apply for the ETA if I were you, Swiftski
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

jetblueguy22

Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:04 pm

BTW I thought you were coming as part of some student program..didn't they arrange for your visa?

I pay for the trip and just have to get a passport myself. I still have to see if I get my own Visa or if they get it for me. I have to check on that. Thanks for the links
Blue

flashflyguy

Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:31 pm

Quoting Jetblueguy22 (Reply 10):
I pay for the trip and just have to get a passport myself. I still have to see if I get my own Visa or if they get it for me. I have to check on that. Thanks for the links

When my niece was part of a similar program from Australia to the US, the organisation arranged the visas for all students. That way they are sure ALL participants have a visa. Blue, do you have a teacher rep for the company at your school? Check with them....or give the company a call and check. You might be getting a little ahead of yourself here, this sort of stuff wasn't covered until about 6-8 weeks before 'our kids' travelled....  Wink

Are you sure? I'm pretty certain that all people not travelling on an Australian passport REQUIRE a visa BEFORE arrival. INCLUDING those from the UK. I think (and don't quote me on this (not going to go check it)) there may be different (visa free) requirements for New Zealand passport holders...

As JGPH1 said, "I'd go to the website and apply for the ETA if I were you, Swiftski". There are ways of getting it for free, or you can pay for it, check it out.

Did you arrange this trip through a travel agent? Because they really should be aware of the Australian visa requirement.

jetblueguy22

Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:00 pm

Quoting FlashFlyGuy (Reply 11):
Blue, do you have a teacher rep for the company at your school?

No it is with the program. She just went in for some surgery so I have to wait and then give her a jingle. Thanks though.
Blue

wunala

Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:09 am

No you can't. The airlines needs to confirm that you have an ETA before you board, otherwise they get fined, and have to fly you back to where you came from.

ANother

Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:34 am

Quoting FlashFlyGuy (Reply 11):
Are you sure? I'm pretty certain that all people not travelling on an Australian passport REQUIRE a visa BEFORE arrival. INCLUDING those from the UK.

Agree, although I think NZ passport holders are also exempt. Everyone else needs an ETA, or they won't be allowed on the plane.

However it doesn't seem to speed up the arrival process. Makes you wonder if Australian Immigration Inspector even has access to the ETA data. If you've been approved you would expect to just get waved (or waived) through.

JGPH1A

Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:27 pm

Quoting ANother (Reply 14):
However it doesn't seem to speed up the arrival process. Makes you wonder if Australian Immigration Inspector even has access to the ETA data. If you've been approved you would expect to just get waved (or waived) through.

An ETA is an Electronic Travel Authority - it gives you the right to travel to Australia. Granting an ETA confers however no automatic right of entry into Australia. This is at the sole discretion of the immigration authorities on arrival. They can still deny you entry if they want.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

don81603

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:56 pm

If you are using a travel agent, they should be able to arrange the travel visa for you. Other wise, you can apply online through the above links.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.