Getting Frm Alexandria,VA To Dulles Museum To IAD

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:27 pm

I've decided to take advantage of a cheap fare with Air Tran next week. I will go down to Washington D.C. for two nights and check out of the Air and Space museum's facilities on the Mall, and near Dulles airport. It's been close to 20 years since I've been there and I was a kid then so I thought it was time for another visit. Until the recent arrival of LCC's to PWM, it wasn't really financially rational to do a quick short haul trip like that for just a few nights without spending around $1000.

I haven't flown with Air Tran for years, back when its was all DC-9's. I've been waiting for an opportunity to give them another try, so I thought it would be a good time to do so! Anyway, I will fly down to BWI on Monday afternoon and then give Amtrak a try from the airport to D.C. I'll be staying in Alexandria, VA.

On Wednesday, I will go to the Smithsonian's Dulles Museum in the morning, and then fly back to BOS from IAD with B6 that evening before ultimately catching Amtrak back to Portland.

Anyway, I have a few questions because I'm not so familiar with getting around Metro Washington... Since I will not have access to a car while there, what's the best way for me to get from Alexandria to the Dulles Museum on Wednesday morning? I know the subway does not go out as far as Dulles at the current time, so is there a bus or shuttle service between Alexandria-D.C. and the Dulles Airport area? Preferably to the museum? How can I get between the museum and IAD just a mile or so up the freeway? Is it possible to walk or is a taxi going to be my only option between the museum and IAD?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

RE: Getting Frm Alexandria,VA To Dulles Museum To IAD

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:37 pm

This website may be helpful for the Udvar-Hazy Center: